Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5617142 times)

Jones

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20490 on: April 11, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
I caught myself blaring Les Mis music the other evening on the way to pick up some pizza. Turned it down when I saw the looks from the next car over.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20491 on: April 11, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
So, picture this:  Sweet hot-rod, racing car, 50-something year old grandma behind the wheel who get annoyed at the young person next to her.  She smiles, flicks the volume control and this is what you hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwGTe_MueM

(Skip to roughly the 3 minute mark, and note that she liked to have it set so the tympani line was very, very prominent.)

I probably shouldn't admit, but I have a car that I can have all 4 windows and a really big sunroof opened within seconds and an awesome sound system. I keep AC/DC's Rock n' Roll Aint Noise pollution qued up on my CD player just for those times when I'm stuck next to the thumping car. With my sound system and that song, I can out just about thump anyone. And if the thumping car dares give me a dirty look, then I switch to Debbie Boone's You Light Up My Life.

kemlathrop

« Reply #20492 on: April 11, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
Am dying laughing at these replies -I usually roll down the windows and get some Gaelic Storm playing very loud - esp. the bagpipe pieces!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20493 on: April 11, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
How about "Black and Tan"?  8)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20494 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »
Anyway, we behaved ourselves and turned the music down - but not before the hostess, upon seeing the handsome young cops, squealed "Yay!  The strippers are here!"

The cats are looking at me funny because I howled at this.  I hope the cops had a good sense of humour...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shalamar

« Reply #20495 on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »
Hee hee, they did.  They politely ignored the stripper comment and said "We like to party too, guys, but you're too loud.  Please keep it down; we'd hate to have to tell you all to go home."  How could we not obey that?

(Plus, did I mention that they were young and handsome?   ;))

andi

« Reply #20496 on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
Am dying laughing at these replies -I usually roll down the windows and get some Gaelic Storm playing very loud - esp. the bagpipe pieces!

I wanna ride in your car!!

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #20497 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
When I was a teenager, I swore that if I ever had the money, I'd buy a magnificent car stereo and drive around with opera blaring. (Still rude, I realize, but why doesn't anyone ever seem to do it?)  :P

When I was growing up, a man who lived a few houses down from us did just that - only he drove a large motorcycle. We could hear him coming home from work from several blocks away, blasting Beethoven or Mozart or somesuch.  :D
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20498 on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »

Wicked Tinkers. Lots of drums, bagpipes and a digeridoo!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

otterwoman

« Reply #20499 on: April 11, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »

Wicked Tinkers. Lots of drums, bagpipes and a digeridoo!

Wolgemut. I LOVE them. Loud medieval music.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #20500 on: April 11, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

I was sitting beside him or a relative of his the other day at the stoplight. My vehicle was turned into one of those weight-loss machines that make you jiggle.
I was once stuck at a red light in front of one of that ken.  I ended up with a take-it-to-bed headache for the rest of the day from that red light and the fact that he remained behind me for another five minutes once we started moving.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20501 on: April 11, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

Or is already deaf. Deaf folks like them a strong bass-line.

I think I've said this here recently, but what I don't get about people who play their music way too loud is that it's almost never what most people would consider good music. Even allowing for varying tastes, it's generally crap. I don't care for rap, for example, but I've heard people who do like it comment that the idiot blaring rap out of his car isn't even playing good rap. Same goes for rock, pop, any genre you care to name. I don't get it.

I mean, if some nimrod came driving down my street blaring Clapton, or Sinatra, or "Freebird," or whatever, I'd still be annoyed by the volume but at least I'd respect the guy's taste.

When I was a teenager, I swore that if I ever had the money, I'd buy a magnificent car stereo and drive around with opera blaring. (Still rude, I realize, but why doesn't anyone ever seem to do it?)  :P

I prefer the 1812 Overture :)
Allowable only if you have real cannons mounted on the car.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #20502 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »
Use the 1712 Overture by PDQ Bach.   >:D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20503 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »

Or is already deaf. Deaf folks like them a strong bass-line.

I think I've said this here recently, but what I don't get about people who play their music way too loud is that it's almost never what most people would consider good music. Even allowing for varying tastes, it's generally crap. I don't care for rap, for example, but I've heard people who do like it comment that the idiot blaring rap out of his car isn't even playing good rap. Same goes for rock, pop, any genre you care to name. I don't get it.

I mean, if some nimrod came driving down my street blaring Clapton, or Sinatra, or "Freebird," or whatever, I'd still be annoyed by the volume but at least I'd respect the guy's taste.

I had a next-door neighbor who used to play his salsa/merengue (I don't know enough to use the proper term) so loudly that I couldn't talk to someone else in my kitchen--which was separated from his home by a THICK PRE-WAR PLASTER WALL. You couldn't hear a phone ring through those walls. But I could hear his music SO loudly that I couldn't hear anything else.

I'd go knock on the door and ask him to turn it down. The fourth time, he got really mad and said, "So when can I play my poopadities?"

i said, "First, it's not poopadities. You have the best musical taste in town--I don't know what you're playing, or who is it, but your stuff is GREAT. *Way* better than anything blaring out of the cars going past outside, 6 floors down.
   "But you play it louder than them! I'm not saying don't play it at all, just don't play it so loud. I don't mind being able to hear that you've got it on, especially because it's so good. But I can't even TALK to someone else--I can't hear them if they speak at a normal tone, and I cannot hear someone on the phone at all. Just turn it DOWN, don't turn it OFF."

"Oh," he said. And he did. And I never had any trouble again. I did sometimes hear the music through the wall, but that's OK.  Though I still, to this day, 25 years later, wish I'd knocked on his door the NEXT night with paper and pencil to get the names of those bands.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #20504 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »

When I was doing smoke stocktakes every Monday morning between 7 and 9 am, I would crank up the iPod with Phantom or the LOTR soundtracks. Generally loud enough with the windows shaking. Several times the people from the shops next door would poke their heads in and ask what I was playing, but no-one ever asked me to turn it down. I think it made a change from the annoying rock the centre played during the day.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.