Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5641671 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20520 on: April 14, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »

...   Snowflake doesn't eat until she ponies up.   ...

I don't think she should even GET there until she first ponies up for gas.  I don't think she should be allowed to share the apartment at all unless and until she first chips in her share for the rent.  Then we can talk about whether or not she gets any food.   >:(

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20521 on: April 14, 2013, 03:27:19 PM »
Let her fly in by herself, stay in an expensive hotel, eat out by herself, and taxi to the various wedding events.  While everyone else is in the apartment!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20522 on: April 14, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »
Let her fly in by herself, stay in an expensive hotel, eat out by herself, and taxi to the various wedding events.  While everyone else is in the apartment!

Precisely!!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20523 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
I had a fun ride home from the outlet malls in St Augustine  :P

- SS #1: Woman driving a tiny car with super sized rims, causing her to dangerously weave and bob on the interstate
- SS #2: Guy with bloodshot eyes and one arm out the sunroof for several miles. To hold a cigarette outside his car. In the rain. For several miles over the interstate and a bridge. He was bobbing and weaving, too
- SS #3: Guy in a huge pickup almost t-boned me by randomly shooting his car straight across traffic and then swerving it back into traffic, speeding up, etc. He made sure to flip the bird, honk his horn and shake his fist
- SS #4: Teenager in a sports car. Did the same thing as SS #3, except at the entrance to a residential neighborhood & without flipping the bird

*ETA: My mom works with a special snowflake. There is a well off woman in her office who never brings enough in her lunch bag. She either skips bringing a snack or just brings one thing (like a few crackers, some mints or a baggie of chips). When everyone else has break time, she'll pipe up with "Oh boy, your sandwich / snack looks so good. I wish I had brought more *pointed look*." Some people will cave and hand her a portion of their food. Mom has put her foot down and ignores the hints; her reasoning is "She lives in that huge house in Fancy Neighborhood, her adult soon cooks plenty food for both of them and her late husband left her with plenty of money. It's just ridiculous for her to beg like that."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:07:00 PM by TeamBhakta »

Hillia

« Reply #20524 on: April 14, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »

"It's just ridiculous for her to beg like that."

It's ridiculous for anyone to beg like that.  Even if this woman's circumstances were such that she really didn't have enough to eat, there are ways of addressing that without public begging.  Assistance programs, food banks, churches can help; if she really felt she had nowhere to turn but her coworkers, a request in private would be the way to go.

The people I have met who are really in tough circumstances for whatever reason have almost infallibly been very polite and discreet in asking for help, and very direct.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

snowdragon

« Reply #20525 on: April 14, 2013, 07:42:37 PM »

-

*ETA: My mom works with a special snowflake. There is a well off woman in her office who never brings enough in her lunch bag. She either skips bringing a snack or just brings one thing (like a few crackers, some mints or a baggie of chips). When everyone else has break time, she'll pipe up with "Oh boy, your sandwich / snack looks so good. I wish I had brought more *pointed look*." Some people will cave and hand her a portion of their food. Mom has put her foot down and ignores the hints; her reasoning is "She lives in that huge house in Fancy Neighborhood, her adult soon cooks plenty food for both of them and her late husband left her with plenty of money. It's just ridiculous for her to beg like that."

While begging is not the answer, you don't really know what her circumstances are.  The son could be holding the money And not allowing her to have enough to take for lunch for whatever reason. It's not uncommon really

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20526 on: April 14, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »

I don't think she should even GET there until she first ponies up for gas.  I don't think she should be allowed to share the apartment at all unless and until she first chips in her share for the rent.  Then we can talk about whether or not she gets any food.   >:(

It looks like the MOH has taken a hard line on this one. She sent out an email today saying unless you've paid up front for the apartment and are ready to hand over xx amount for gas, don't bother showing up at the meeting point. Fortunately I'll get to miss any late fireworks since I'm going with the late group down.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20527 on: April 14, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »

-

While begging is not the answer, you don't really know what her circumstances are.  The son could be holding the money And not allowing her to have enough to take for lunch for whatever reason. It's not uncommon really

Actually, I do know her circumstances. She has control of the late husband's money; the son does not. She is very chatty about the state of her finances, how she spends her money, what the husband left behind, etc. And she often goes on fancy, expensive vacations by herself to boot. She doesn't know how to cook, although her late husband did and now the son does the cooking, too; which shouldn't prevent her from at least packing leftovers or buying premade lunch items from Publix. So no, she isn't living some Flowers In The Attic existance
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:00:52 PM by TeamBhakta »

AnnaT

« Reply #20528 on: April 14, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »

It looks like the MOH has taken a hard line on this one. She sent out an email today saying unless you've paid up front for the apartment and are ready to hand over xx amount for gas, don't bother showing up at the meeting point. Fortunately I'll get to miss any late fireworks since I'm going with the late group down.

Make sure you keep us up to date on this one mbbored - sounds like its going to be a fun ride (for those of us reading about it anyways)...

Rohanna

« Reply #20529 on: April 14, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I doubt lunch-mooch has money issues. It's far more likely that she packs herself a "small lunch" to be "healthy", but "tastes" of other people's food don't count. I've seen this I don't know *how* many times- it's the classic "order a salad and eat all your date's fries" move. It's just fooling yourself, but people get funny about food.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Amara

« Reply #20530 on: April 14, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »

I do like the MOH's spine!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20531 on: April 14, 2013, 10:43:44 PM »

I do like the MOH's spine!

MOH is a park ranger at a well known national park. She deals with dangerous situations on a regular basis, often caused by other SS's, and doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Reika

« Reply #20532 on: April 14, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
MOH is a park ranger at a well known national park. She deals with dangerous situations on a regular basis, often caused by other SS's, and doesn't suffer fools gladly.

That's definitely the type of person I'd like to have in charge of everything. :)

Amara

« Reply #20533 on: April 15, 2013, 01:03:00 AM »
TFSS (trust fund special snowflake) and MOH should make a very interesting pair. Try not to miss any of the fireworks, OP. (We're quite nosy, you know. >:D)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20534 on: April 15, 2013, 02:47:39 AM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

There is a solution to that  >:D
 http://xkcd.com/1156/