Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5090452 times)

NyaChan

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20550 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »

After church, I mentioned to DH that it would have been better if one of our ushers approached the family and asked them to take the baby to the quiet room.  DH said that would be unkind and could turn that whole family away from attending the church.  I said OK, but what about Emily and her family, who we've all known for years?  Shouldn't we be concerned about their feelings, too?  I called the baby's family special snowflakes.  DH said they weren't, and maybe the mother was just nervous about leaving the baby in the baby nursery.  I said that would be fine, she could still go to the quiet room out of consideration to the rest of the congregation - even if there wasn't important ceremony going on.  It's polite to take a baby out of a quiet setting when he or she is crying.  He says that's not very welcoming.

So what say you?
They should have moved the child to the quiet room. When they didn't either the ushers or the minister should have told them to take the child out. I hope at the very least the minister or someone from the church makes it clear in the future crying babies should be removed.

I agree with this.  If they are asked politely and kindly to have someone take the child outside until the child has calmed down, there is no reason why they should have their feelings hurt or feel unwelcome. 

snowdragon

« Reply #20551 on: April 21, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »
I LOVE "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and listen to the soundtrack once a month, even not around halloween. Yesterday was one of those days. I had it one while I cleaned out my car - not loudly but enough that I could hear it as I cleaned and I had one door at a time as I moved around the car.  So I was leaned over fishing stuff out from under the seats and I hear "Excuse Me, You NEED to turn that off right now."  I stood up, turned around and found myself nosetonose with a woman I had never seen before. She repeated that I needed to turn the cd off.  I refused and turned around to clean  again.  She started again with 'That's a Christmas CD, you need not to have that where my kid can hear it - it's NOT Christmas. I am her mother and *I* decide what she can hear and when, not you."  I finally told her that if she did not like what I was listening too, she could leave my property because I was not turning it off. I was fairly sure that if she left my driveway and even went to wherever she and the kid had been walking too, they would not hear if once past my property line.
  When I refused and told her to leave she pounded her fist so hard that I was afraid the car trunk would be dented ( it wasn't) and told me that I was "going to ruin the magic of Christmas for her kid by listening to Christmas music this time of year."
  I still don't know who the heck she was. I don't want to , either.

NyaChan

« Reply #20552 on: April 21, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »
I LOVE "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and listen to the soundtrack once a month, even not around halloween. Yesterday was one of those days. I had it one while I cleaned out my car - not loudly but enough that I could hear it as I cleaned and I had one door at a time as I moved around the car.  So I was leaned over fishing stuff out from under the seats and I hear "Excuse Me, You NEED to turn that off right now."  I stood up, turned around and found myself nosetonose with a woman I had never seen before. She repeated that I needed to turn the cd off.  I refused and turned around to clean  again.  She started again with 'That's a Christmas CD, you need not to have that where my kid can hear it - it's NOT Christmas. I am her mother and *I* decide what she can hear and when, not you."  I finally told her that if she did not like what I was listening too, she could leave my property because I was not turning it off. I was fairly sure that if she left my driveway and even went to wherever she and the kid had been walking too, they would not hear if once past my property line.
  When I refused and told her to leave she pounded her fist so hard that I was afraid the car trunk would be dented ( it wasn't) and told me that I was "going to ruin the magic of Christmas for her kid by listening to Christmas music this time of year."

:o :o :o ...what?  Life truly is stranger than fiction lol

andi

« Reply #20553 on: April 21, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
I LOVE "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and listen to the soundtrack once a month, even not around halloween. Yesterday was one of those days. I had it one while I cleaned out my car - not loudly but enough that I could hear it as I cleaned and I had one door at a time as I moved around the car.  So I was leaned over fishing stuff out from under the seats and I hear "Excuse Me, You NEED to turn that off right now."  I stood up, turned around and found myself nosetonose with a woman I had never seen before. She repeated that I needed to turn the cd off.  I refused and turned around to clean  again.  She started again with 'That's a Christmas CD, you need not to have that where my kid can hear it - it's NOT Christmas. I am her mother and *I* decide what she can hear and when, not you."  I finally told her that if she did not like what I was listening too, she could leave my property because I was not turning it off. I was fairly sure that if she left my driveway and even went to wherever she and the kid had been walking too, they would not hear if once past my
property line.
  When I refused and told her to leave she pounded her fist so hard that I was afraid the car trunk
would be dented ( it wasn't) and told me that I was "going to ruin the magic of Christmas for her kid
by listening to Christmas music this time of year."

Wow - I toght that was going to go in a totally different direction. Something along thelines of "scaring my child with 'evil Halloween'", whichnwhat happened to a friend of mine in a similar incident

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #20554 on: April 22, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »
-- and you decided what you listen to, not her. Since you weren't blaring it loudly enough that people half a block away could hear it, it was none of her business.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #20555 on: April 22, 2013, 08:25:39 AM »
I almost wish I had let him hit me--it was a new looking car and mine's pretty old, it would have been kind of interesting to see how much that spot was "worth" to him after our insurances talked to each other. I had somewhere to be after lunch though, and based on how aggressive was behind the wheel, I don't think I wouldn't have wanted to stick around with him while waiting for the cops. I still can't believe he bullied me into backing up for him though.

DP and I have an ongoing debate of sorts going on this point - I say, it's better to avoid the accident than be right. She's more of a 'it's my right of way, no you can't share it, you'll get the ticket not me' on these things.

For example, leaving an event this weekend, there was a long lineup to turn left onto the highway. I always leave more space than is minimally necessary (usually a full car length) between me and the person ahead - I've been backed into, and think it's courteous to leave space for that 'oops, is that the lane?' occasion as well if I can, especially when we're leaving an event where folks may not be familiar with the road. A semi was in the next lane over, and turned on their signal to get into the turn lane to the highway as well, so I was staying well back (almost 3 car lengths) to allow the semi to get over. There was considerably less than 1 car length between the end of the semi and my bumper (in a cross lane direction), and I had paused (I was at the light before the turn, and it had been green for a while, so I didn't want to get stuck in the travel path on top of everything else going on). DP starts fussing at me about moving up already (most of the space between my car and the one in front was the travel lane for people turning onto the freeway from the opposite direction, so I'd have been in their way - and there's still that semi with the turn signal) so I said no... and just as I did, some moron goes flying around the traffic waiting behind me, squeals through the gap between me and the semi (nearly hitting us both) and stops short, with the back of his truck blocking the lane. If I'd have listened to DP, I'd have been hit broadside, just where she was sitting, as I'd have JUST pushed forward when he slipped through.

I know the other driver was an SS. I wish DP wasn't so SS too!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20556 on: April 22, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »
After church, I mentioned to DH that it would have been better if one of our ushers approached the family and asked them to take the baby to the quiet room.  DH said that would be unkind and could turn that whole family away from attending the church.  I said OK, but what about Emily and her family, who we've all known for years?  Shouldn't we be concerned about their feelings, too?  I called the baby's family special snowflakes.  DH said they weren't, and maybe the mother was just nervous about leaving the baby in the baby nursery.  I said that would be fine, she could still go to the quiet room out of consideration to the rest of the congregation - even if there wasn't important ceremony going on.  It's polite to take a baby out of a quiet setting when he or she is crying.  He says that's not very welcoming.

So what say you?

You know what's not welcoming? Being at church and having to listen to a baby shriek like a fire alarm through the whole service because nobody could be bothered to take them out to the cry room.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #20557 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
I almost wish I had let him hit me--it was a new looking car and mine's pretty old, it would have been kind of interesting to see how much that spot was "worth" to him after our insurances talked to each other. I had somewhere to be after lunch though, and based on how aggressive was behind the wheel, I don't think I wouldn't have wanted to stick around with him while waiting for the cops. I still can't believe he bullied me into backing up for him though.

DP and I have an ongoing debate of sorts going on this point - I say, it's better to avoid the accident than be right. She's more of a 'it's my right of way, no you can't share it, you'll get the ticket not me' on these things.

For example, leaving an event this weekend, there was a long lineup to turn left onto the highway. I always leave more space than is minimally necessary (usually a full car length) between me and the person ahead - I've been backed into, and think it's courteous to leave space for that 'oops, is that the lane?' occasion as well if I can, especially when we're leaving an event where folks may not be familiar with the road. A semi was in the next lane over, and turned on their signal to get into the turn lane to the highway as well, so I was staying well back (almost 3 car lengths) to allow the semi to get over. There was considerably less than 1 car length between the end of the semi and my bumper (in a cross lane direction), and I had paused (I was at the light before the turn, and it had been green for a while, so I didn't want to get stuck in the travel path on top of everything else going on). DP starts fussing at me about moving up already (most of the space between my car and the one in front was the travel lane for people turning onto the freeway from the opposite direction, so I'd have been in their way - and there's still that semi with the turn signal) so I said no... and just as I did, some moron goes flying around the traffic waiting behind me, squeals through the gap between me and the semi (nearly hitting us both) and stops short, with the back of his truck blocking the lane. If I'd have listened to DP, I'd have been hit broadside, just where she was sitting, as I'd have JUST pushed forward when he slipped through.

I would MUCH rather not have my car get hit at all! Even without bodily injury or bills out of pocket, it's such an annoying hassle to deal with insurance (if the other driver is insured at all), get body shop estimates, be without my car while it's getting fixed, etc. The last time someone rear-ended me, they had AWFUL insurance from some cheap company. My insurance agent hadn't even heard of this company and they were a nightmare to deal with. They wanted me to take my car to some shady shop in a terrible neighborhood 15 miles from my home instead of the clean, reliable, honest shop 2 miles from my home because the shady shop was $70 cheaper - I had to fight them on that one and I won, but still, not my idea of a good use of my time. Ugh!

MissRose

« Reply #20558 on: April 22, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »
In my part of Michigan, we are dealing with a lot of flooding special thanks to the melting snow but more to the hard downpours of rain.  Some roads and intersections have signs up "Road Closed".    In some areas if people try to get through, the police have been ticketing people who drive through the areas and I am sure those people don't live in the area.   Plus some people think they can drive through a foot of water or so then get stuck, which makes it hard for rescues and towing especially in areas with widespread flooding that is slowly receding.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20559 on: April 22, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »

So what say you?
They should have moved the child to the quiet room. When they didn't either the ushers or the minister should have told them to take the child out. I hope at the very least the minister or someone from the church makes it clear in the future crying babies should be removed.

I agree with this.  If they are asked politely and kindly to have someone take the child outside until the child has calmed down, there is no reason why they should have their feelings hurt or feel unwelcome.

And if they did get their feelings hurt or feel unwelcome, then they may not be the right fit for this particular church community. Asking someone to take a disruptive child away from a solemn ceremony is not, in any way, shape or form, out of line. If a simple request to respect the rest of the community puts their knickers in a twist, what else will they do?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20560 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »

One of my favorite "funny" epitaphs:
This is the grave of Mike O’Day
Who died maintaining his right of way.
His right was clear, his will was strong,
But he’s just as dead as if he’d been wrong.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #20561 on: April 22, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »

One of my favorite "funny" epitaphs:
This is the grave of Mike O’Day
Who died maintaining his right of way.
His right was clear, his will was strong,
But he’s just as dead as if he’d been wrong.

I love that :-)

One of my favorite lines that I use in the context of relationships and also at work is "would you rather be right or happy?"  'cos picking your battles is wise.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

MissRose

« Reply #20562 on: April 22, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »

So what say you?

And if they did get their feelings hurt or feel unwelcome, then they may not be the right fit for this particular church community. Asking someone to take a disruptive child away from a solemn ceremony is not, in any way, shape or form, out of line. If a simple request to respect the rest of the community puts their knickers in a twist, what else will they do?

I do not mind children at Mass (as I am Catholic).  But at the same time if they cannot be calmed down, their caregiver (parent, grandparent etc) needs to take them out and attend to their needs to save the ears of the celebrant(s) & congregation.  If they need to constantly take a child out, then they should sit in the back or a designated area that has some soundproofing.

My mother sat in the back when me and my sister were little as my sister was more challenging compared to me to get her to stay in one spot quietly then later on was able to move closer to front of the church. I feel she was being polite in what she did until my sister would not dart off into the next county and make a commotion at the same time.

Cami

« Reply #20563 on: April 22, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »

So what say you?

I do not mind children at Mass (as I am Catholic).  But at the same time if they cannot be calmed down, their caregiver (parent, grandparent etc) needs to take them out and attend to their needs to save the ears of the celebrant(s) & congregation.  If they need to constantly take a child out, then they should sit in the back or a designated area that has some soundproofing.

My mother sat in the back when me and my sister were little as my sister was more challenging compared to me to get her to stay in one spot quietly then later on was able to move closer to front of the church. I feel she was being polite in what she did until my sister would not dart off into the next county and make a commotion at the same time.
My husband is a dedicated church goer, but he is rapidly getting to the point of opting out of regular church attendance due to the infestation oif Special Snowflakes and their enablers, People Who Think Being Nice Means Enabling Bad Behavior. The SS are the multitude of parents who allow their kids to shriek, jump and down, leave/re-enter the pew up to 10 times per service, play on ipads and text (which also apparently necessitates laughing, chuckling and passing said device around the entire family), spend the entire service eating donuts and drinking caffeinated coffee (yeah, that works really well at keep kids behaved), crying and my personal favorite -- changing their diaper in the pew.  He no longer feels like he is worshipping God, he feels like he's being tested for patience.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20564 on: April 22, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »

DP starts fussing at me about moving up already

I've had to really blast my DH before he would stop telling me how to drive. No, I'm not speeding up now just because YOU would; *I* don't feel comfortable going that fast on city streets, even if you do. And even if I am 10 miles below the speed limit.

(most of the space between my car and the one in front was the travel lane for people turning onto the freeway from the opposite direction, so I'd have been in their way - and there's still that semi with the turn signal) so I said no... and just as I did, some moron goes flying around the traffic waiting behind me, squeals through the gap between me and the semi (nearly hitting us both) and stops short, with the back of his truck blocking the lane. If I'd have listened to DP, I'd have been hit broadside, just where she was sitting, as I'd have JUST pushed forward when he slipped through.

Of course, if the hole had never been there, he wouldn't have tried to go through. So if your natural bent was to keep that spacing tight, you'd have closed the hole the moment it opened, sooner than he tried to take the turn.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:46:23 AM by TootsNYC »