Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5096877 times)

andi

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20820 on: May 02, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »
To all the SS parents at carpool who refuse to follow the "no left turn" signs leaving the front parking lot. Really?  You can't spare the 2 minutes it takes at most (I've timed it with hitting both red lights) to safely turn right and and come back up the access road or go around the block?  You have to be a danger to people trying to correctly turn right by blocking their view, then trying to make an unsafe left run across 3 lanes of traffic?  As well as blocking the right lane by pulling into the middle of the drive so no one turning right can even get out? 

I hate carpool lanes.

Bluenomi

« Reply #20821 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
I had a SSI'llcrosstheroadwhenIwant the other night. My heart and brakes were both given a good work out. It was dark and out of nowhere they came racing across the road right in front of me. I hponestly thought I'd squashed them until I saw them ducking up a drive way. dingdangity cat, I bets it's got on less life now!

mmswm

« Reply #20822 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »
I had a SSI'llcrosstheroadwhenIwant the other night. My heart and brakes were both given a good work out. It was dark and out of nowhere they came racing across the road right in front of me. I hponestly thought I'd squashed them until I saw them ducking up a drive way. dingdangity cat, I bets it's got on less life now!

I almost squished one of my mother's barn cats a few days ago under similar circumstances. I felt horrible but he darted out of nowhere. The other two cats are orange and a little easier to see at night but Scout is a dark grey tabby. We usually get up to about 45mph in the driveway but thankfully I was going slower than normal or we'd be short a cat.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20823 on: May 02, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »
I have to wonder where they're from, if an elevator is the most exciting thing they can think of to see while on their field trip!
I've mentioned before that I volunteer at a small museum where I do programs for schoolchildren. We have an old & creaky elevator that is rarely used, but every program involves riding an escalator. We get a lot of students from very small towns, for whom the escalator is one of the highlights of the visit. If we didn't monitor the escalator ride heavily (and drop serious hints to chaperones), we'd have similar problems.

The highlights of Babybartfast's trip so far have been riding the Metro and watching the repairman fix the escalator  :P

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20824 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:32 PM »
I have to wonder where they're from, if an elevator is the most exciting thing they can think of to see while on their field trip!
I've mentioned before that I volunteer at a small museum where I do programs for schoolchildren. We have an old & creaky elevator that is rarely used, but every program involves riding an escalator. We get a lot of students from very small towns, for whom the escalator is one of the highlights of the visit. If we didn't monitor the escalator ride heavily (and drop serious hints to chaperones), we'd have similar problems.

The highlights of Babybartfast's trip so far have been riding the Metro and watching the repairman fix the escalator  :P
As you walk up the other side... ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20825 on: May 03, 2013, 07:19:38 AM »
The people who decided to yell and scream in the street at 11:30. :P I wasn't asleep and was about to call the non-emergency line, as they were getting a bit rough, but then they quieted down  and went inside.  Then two cruisers came down the street slowly so  either someone else called or they were already around and heard the commotion.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hjaye

« Reply #20826 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
I nominate this couple from today's Carolyn Hax column:

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/columnists/carolyn-hax/20130502-new-husbands-refusal-to-let-affair-go-raises-red-flags.ece

Recap:

They bought a vacation home a few years ago, now they don't see why their friends don't understand why they don't return phone calls when they are home (they're just too busy trying to catch up, their friends should understand, but can't understand why less and less people are showing up to their home when they have get togethers) Informed a friend they are on the B list for their son's wedding, and can't understand why her friend doesn't want to help cater the shower she wants to throw her son.  She doesn't see where she has done anything wrong and just wants her friends to understand that things have changed for them, but it's nothing personal.

Iris

« Reply #20827 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »

We live in an area where it's common for people to drive, even into the city. When DDs and nieces were little their grandmother used to take them on the train to town as a holiday treat. Whatever else they did was secondary to that train trip...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20828 on: May 03, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/columnists/carolyn-hax/20130502-new-husbands-refusal-to-let-affair-go-raises-red-flags.ece

Recap:

They bought a vacation home a few years ago, now they don't see why their friends don't understand why they don't return phone calls when they are home (they're just too busy trying to catch up, their friends should understand, but can't understand why less and less people are showing up to their home when they have get togethers) Informed a friend they are on the B list for their son's wedding, and can't understand why her friend doesn't want to help cater the shower she wants to throw her son.  She doesn't see where she has done anything wrong and just wants her friends to understand that things have changed for them, but it's nothing personal.

Oh wow.  Those people get an SS trophy.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Browyn

« Reply #20829 on: May 03, 2013, 08:37:08 AM »

The providence place mall (RI) has a glass elevator, DS (8) loves to watch all the gears and pulleys from the outside as it goes up and down.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #20830 on: May 03, 2013, 08:41:15 AM »

Recap:

Dude... is she for real? That letter sounds so far out as to be almost unbelievable. I mean... how can she seriously not get what's happening?

Wow...

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20831 on: May 03, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »

Recap:

Oh wow.  Those people get an SS trophy.

Umm - I think that their friends can see that things have changed - but they are still trying to find their friends in the SS-flurry.  I have to wonder if the friendship will ever be revived - say, after a natural disaster makes it hard to get to the vacation home for a month or two (road washed out or something).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #20832 on: May 03, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »

My husband works for an elevator company. When we went on our honeymoon to Las Vegas, they had just finished building the Hooters hotel. He asked if we could stop there. I said, "Why...." thinking I was going to get the chicken wings justification. Oh no. He just wanted to see the elevators, because he had worked on them. It always amuses me that I have the only husband on the planet who would rather go to a Hooters-themed hotel to look at...the elevators.  ;D

Also, the escalator story made me think of this: http://www.darcyflynn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/stuck-on-an-escalator.png

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #20833 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
Met two yesterday on the way home - one minor one (flashing his lights at me, in the right lane, while I'm driving both at the speed limit and have half the cars in the state ahead of me?) and then.... SSTurnusLeftusNOW!

I drive a two lane road (over the dam, and down through a residential area) home from work most days. At one point, where I turn left, it intersects with another, very busy, two lane road. There's a light, but it's just a standard red yellow green (no turn signal), and about 1/2 of the approaching traffic at the intersection is turning left, the other half continuing straight across. MANY people don't use turn signals. The prevailing manners at that spot, because the traffic coming from my direction is light, and mostly turning left, is that you wait for the traffic coming from the other direction to clear before you turn, because... safety. I was the first car at the light, and had the feeling when I'd stopped that the guy behind me had wanted me to run the light so he could, too (parked REALLY CLOSE, and had come to a very sudden, jerking stop - the speed limit is 25 on the road, but he was going far faster than that, as he'd not been behind me for quite some time and then suddenly was righttherenexttomybumper). The light turns green, and the *first car* from the other side, happened to be turning left. The second one was coming straight across, though, and there were about 10 cars waiting to come through the intersection across from me. As I normally do (and so has virtually every car I've seen there, coming the way I was, since I started driving that way) I was waiting for the traffic across to clear. The light is quite long, and even after waiting it out, there's time for a half dozen cars from the direction I was coming to go through, safely. Next thing I know, he's blowing his horn, long bursts, and revving his engine. I'm sitting there baffled, and still waiting for the traffic across to clear, when he comes roaring out from behind me, into the wrong lane, blows through the intersection (nearly hitting a car that was coming straight across) and tears off down the road. Then the car behind me blows his horn a couple of times, further confusing me, and (I admit) I started waving at the traffic across from me, as if to say "gee, don't you SEE THE CARS???". Finally, after a string of three cars that came straight across the intersection, the traffic clears, and I turn left. The car behind me calmed down when they realized how much traffic there had been (apparently he just got angry because he heard a horn??). However, the SS wasn't done - he was just ahead of me (the car immediately ahead of me, in fact) when I got to the next stop light, at an intersection with a large road (4 lanes). The road I was on turns into 4 lanes at that point too, so there was a new lane to the left of the one I was in. Mr. SS decides to change lanes, in the intersection, and squeeze his HUGE jeep into the space between two cars in the left lane, which was barely one car length. The car behind the space he jumped into was a company truck, and the poor guy had to slam on his brakes - I can only imaging how much trouble he'd have been in, getting into a wreck in his company truck.

Some people need to be sedated for our safety before getting in a car.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20834 on: May 03, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Also, the escalator story made me think of this: http://www.darcyflynn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/stuck-on-an-escalator.png

I get an error message when I click on your link.  Says:

Access Denied
The owner of this website (www.darcyflynn.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/stuck-on-an-escalator.png).
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.