Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5416461 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20865 on: May 04, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »

"Actually," I replied "You are delaying me.

I'm not sure that saying, "You are delaying me," was appropriate at all.  No one is entitled to get in and out of the grocery store faster than anyone else, no matter how few groceries they have.  There might have been 15 people deep in the 10 items or less lane, after all.  You still have to wait like everybody else.  It's understandable being annoyed at someone thumbing his nose at the store's policy, but that's all he was guilty of.  It could be said that anyone in the store ahead of you in line is "delaying you."

And I'm wondering--did your engaging him in conversation make it slower? i always hate when people decide to scold the person ahead of them, because the ARGUMENT or even the conversation then slows everything down even more.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #20866 on: May 04, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
Met a few SS's last night.  My 6 yr old DD and I went to the big screen outdoor area outside of the arena to watch the Pens-Islanders playoff game.  It is a great atmosphere, bands playing, lots of fun stuff going on.  Everyone brings their lawn chairs and sets up on a huge parking lot.  So DD and I get our spot, and set up.  Next to us in our row (everyone is respectful and it somehow seems like it is perfect rows) are 2 nice girls, behind us 4 older teen boys.  So when it starts, they show the players coming out and everyone stands and are waving our rally towels.  I am all of 5'3", the 6 year old is just a tiny thing.  So EVERYONE is standing and cheering and I feel a tap on my shoulder.  I turn around and it is some young lady who informs me she cannot see  ::) So I just give her a smile and go back to cheering.  When everyone is seated again, I casually turn to see where she is sitting...4 'rows' behind me!!!  So there is other people standing in front of her and I am blocking her view???  The kid behind me leaned forward and said she did the same thing to him!  So, you are at a free outdoor sporting event where people are going to be standing and you just start tapping on peoples shoulders to tell them to sit???  (btw, most people were on their feet through the game). 
The other incident happened at the lines for the port o' potties.  There was 3 HUGE line (for the different sections) and everyone was waiting patiently, chatting and watching the screen.  My DD and I were almost to our turn and 3 young ladies come sauntering up and attempt to slide in .  The woman in front of me, myself and the gentleman behind me all said the line is back there and pointed.  The one stomped her foot and whined but we have to gooo!  The lady in front of me says tough, so do we.  The whiner then decided to use language not really appropriate for the amount of kids standing there and told us she would do what she wanted.  Her friends were trying to sneak a little closer when a security guy came over and told them to go to the back of the line.  They stood there and argued !  I don't want to make any judgements but these girls looked like the kind that figure that because they are tanned, blonde, skinny and dressed with bits and pieces barely covered they can get what they want...they were wrong!

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #20867 on: May 04, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
I don't want to make any judgements but these girls looked like the kind that figure that because they are tanned, blonde, skinny and dressed with bits and pieces barely covered they can get what they want...they were wrong!

I think that is supposed to work with bartenders and drinks and cops and traffic tickets, not desperate people needing to use the bathroom....
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #20868 on: May 04, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
DH's friend Sam is dating a very special snowflake, Jill. Jill is an inveterate speeder; she claims she simply can't help herself from driving waaaaaaay over the speed limit. She currently has 5 points on her license and it will be suspended if she gets one more. To reduce her points, she signed up for an online driver safety course. But she can't be bothered to actually take the course, so Sam is taking it for her.  :o

Hmmm.  I'd be tempted to tell on her.  "You know, this person has someone else taking their test for them, and I don't want to drive on the same road with them." 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #20869 on: May 04, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »
This really belongs in the Brain Hurt thread but, since that no longer exists, I'll put it here.

Back in my library days, we had a request.  Someone wanted to write, 'Sorry about the broken leg.  Good luck, King Tut' on a friend's cast.  This was a cute idea but he wanted to write it in Egyptian hieroglyphs and I was supposed to tell him how to do it OVER THE PHONE!   :o  ???

'Okay, let's start.  Quail chick, dish, forearm, vulture, animal skin, face-forward human head, begin cartouche ...'

Because I don't read hieroglyphs,  this was total bushwah on my part but the request was absurd and I was feeling a bit frisky that day. 

At that point he decided that this was a bit more than he bargained for and hung up.

Sometimes, you can nail the SS people.   

I am sitting here regretting the fact that I am not, and can never hope to be, this awesome.

Love this.  The Bloom County comic strip had something similar:  Two young hackers had hacked their way into Pravda and changed the headline to "Gorbachev urges disarmament - immediate!  Unilateral! (or something like that.)  Since they didn't know Russian it came out "Gorbachev sings tractors - turnips!  But----cks!" 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #20870 on: May 04, 2013, 04:30:33 PM »
I'm not sure young kids expecting to be given what they want when they ask nicely qualifies as SS; in a lot of cases, it simply means they haven't learned the other half of the lesson, yet. Now, if it's being used by someone past the age of 7 or so with the same expectation, that's a different story.

Rob

I've told this story before.  I was up on stage at the church we used to go to, and found someone going through the bag of drum sticks that belonged to Mr. Sirius' band's drummer.  This gentleman has played drums since he was 10 (he told me) and he's now 65+ and has quite a collection of specialty drum sticks that he carries around in a leather bag.  I asked, "May I help you?"  The person going through the bag was a young man of 25 or so, and there was a little boy with him. 

YM:  My little boy wants a set of drum sticks, so I thought I'd take one of these.
Me:  All these drum sticks are the personal property of the drummer.
YM:  Oh, we thought they belonged to the church. 

He took his son's hand and they scurried away.  My jaw was down around my knees.  So if the drum sticks belonged to the church it was okay for them to take them without permission/steal the drum sticks?  I sought Mr. Drummer out and warned him that someone was looking to walk off with a set of his drum sticks, so he secured them.  Had they asked him (I pointed him out to them) he probably would have passed along an old set since I'm sure he has thousands of sets of old drum sticks that he can no longer use.

When I was a child, if I'd asked to be given something that clearly belonged to someone else, I'd have been in big trouble.   It's like the little girl who was playing on my front porch:  I told her she wasn't allowed to play there.  "But my mom said it was okay!"  I explained that it was my property, not her mother's, and I didn't want her playing on my porch.  This little girl actually got the message, and it never happened again. 

Snooks

« Reply #20871 on: May 04, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
Sighting at the supermarket today.

I take my basket of 4 items to the "15 items or less" checkout. In front of me is a cart that obviously has more than 15 things in it. "Gosh," I say cheerfully to the guy with the cart. "That looks like more than 15 items."

I've done that before without a problem. Usually the person says something like "Oops! I didn't see the sign." and moves off. Sometimes the person just glares at me and moves off. I've een ha stotroe clerks thank me, because they are not allowed to say anything. Not this guy.

He starts counting items. "One, two three.." He stops when he gets to 20.  "Oh well, " he says to me. "We won't tell anyone."

"Actually," I replied "You are delaying me."

"But, see, some of these are multiples of the same thing, so they only count as one." (Even though, in this store, the clerk must scan each individual one.)  My stony gaze apparently convinces him that I'm not going to be very understanding, so he turns his attention to the clerk, regaling her with his tale of how this food would be used to provide lunch for a volunteer activity he was coordinating--congratulating himself several times on how he was "giving back to the community."

When it was my turn, the clerk apologized for the delay. I told her I understood that she was probably not allowed to say anything to customers about too many items, and that I hoped maybe my comments got to the guy.

"No," she said. "He does this all the time. He thinks that because he's a regular customer, the policies don't apply to him."

Quite a while ago I saw a guy with a huge amount of stuff (including lots of clothes which needed to be de-security tagged), as I was finishing up my shopping and walking out I heard a voice behind me say "It's twenty items or less you <term for a certain part of the body>".  The casualness of the way he said it while walking past really tickled me.  It wasn't polite but he said what the rest of us were thinking.

PeterM

« Reply #20872 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
YM:  My little boy wants a set of drum sticks, so I thought I'd take one of these.

One of the pastors at my wife's church bought and donated a dozen or so really nice sets of tongs last year for a potluck or possibly one of their cook-offs. They're all gone now. Every decent utensil or pot in the kitchen is gone. My wife has to bring a knife from home if she needs to cut anything, because the knives in the kitchen are dangerously dull. She and others have thought about donating mixers or coffee pots or various other appliances that would come in handy, but they don't because they know those would also be stolen.

They get a number of non-church members in and out of the kitchen area because the church hosts a food bank that's run by other churches three weeks per month, so at least they have the dubious comfort of hoping it's someone from another church that's stealing from them. Some of it's definitely their own members, though. I'd guess it's a variation on the Tragedy of the Commons - if the stuff in the kitchen belongs to everyone, I'll just take my share home with me.

NyaChan

« Reply #20873 on: May 04, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »

One of the pastors at my wife's church bought and donated a dozen or so really nice sets of tongs last year for a potluck or possibly one of their cook-offs. They're all gone now. Every decent utensil or pot in the kitchen is gone. My wife has to bring a knife from home if she needs to cut anything, because the knives in the kitchen are dangerously dull. She and others have thought about donating mixers or coffee pots or various other appliances that would come in handy, but they don't because they know those would also be stolen.

They get a number of non-church members in and out of the kitchen area because the church hosts a food bank that's run by other churches three weeks per month, so at least they have the dubious comfort of hoping it's someone from another church that's stealing from them. Some of it's definitely their own members, though. I'd guess it's a variation on the Tragedy of the Commons - if the stuff in the kitchen belongs to everyone, I'll just take my share home with me.

We keep a stocked kitchen at our mosque for our large community gatherings and people frequently take home the equipment for their own use or try to store things in the fridge.  Do they at least replace what they break, return things promptly, or clean the stuff properly? Nope. One family kept a bunch of raw meat in the fridge that leaked all over everything and my mom and a friend spent an hour cleaning it up.  Gross  >:(

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #20874 on: May 04, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
. . . It's like the little girl who was playing on my front porch:  I told her she wasn't allowed to play there.  "But my mom said it was okay!"  I explained that it was my property, not her mother's, and I didn't want her playing on my porch.  This little girl actually got the message, and it never happened again.
It's possible that her mom did not actually tell her it was okay. Kids have a way of twisting words around.  Once I overheard my SIL in the next room tell her daughter, "If you're going to play ball, you have to go outside, and you have to have an adult with you".  My niece then comes to me and says, "My mom says you have to go outside and play ball with me".   ;D
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Jones

« Reply #20875 on: May 04, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
. . . It's like the little girl who was playing on my front porch:  I told her she wasn't allowed to play there.  "But my mom said it was okay!"  I explained that it was my property, not her mother's, and I didn't want her playing on my porch.  This little girl actually got the message, and it never happened again.
It's possible that her mom did not actually tell her it was okay. Kids have a way of twisting words around.  Once I overheard my SIL in the next room tell her daughter, "If you're going to play ball, you have to go outside, and you have to have an adult with you".  My niece then comes to me and says, "My mom says you have to go outside and play ball with me".   ;D
Today my daughter requested to be allowed to visit her friend a few houses down from ours. I said yes, and if he couldn't play she had to come home. About an hour later I went down the street to fetch her. She was sitting on their porch. Turned out, Friend had been taking a nap. I asked why she hadn't come home.
"Because, if he hadn't been sleeping, he COULD play, so I was just waiting for him to wake up. His mom said I could play when he woke up."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20876 on: May 04, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »

Well, and also little kids have learned that "My mother said" can be incredibly powerful, so they use it whenever they're challenged. They learn that this isn't applicable through incidents like Sirius's.

snowdragon

« Reply #20877 on: May 04, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
At the Y today they had the Spring Fling Mixer for Senior Citizens. So ALL the handicapped spaces were full. SS comes it pushing her mom in a wheelchair , screaming about it. She was using language that would have made George Carlin and Martin Scorsese blush. Because she should never have to come and there be no handicapped parking. SHE should never have to wait her turn, do with out or go out of her way,ever.  Since she could not get a proper HC parking space, she took the space that Vans are supposed to have to drop their lifts. ( The space that is painted in blue hash marks) making it so someone else could not get into their vehicle.
  When we were leaving we got stopped by the lady at the front desk, asking if we saw what she was seeing - SS was out side taking photos of people's license plates - of everyone's car in the smaller front lot ( there is another one out back) -whether they were in the HC spaces of not. When asked what she was doing, she stated that she was turning them into the police and she was going to find out if they were actually handicapped and how. When informed that had no right to that information, and that it was, in fact, an invasion of privacy. She again told off the staff member in vile language and told her that she had a right to these spaces and others did not. 
  The thing is every single car in the HC spaces had either the correct plate or the hang tag. So everyone who was in an HC space had the right to be there.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20878 on: May 04, 2013, 10:48:15 PM »
^^^  Well, everyone except her!!   :o

She was parked illegally.

Waterlight

« Reply #20879 on: May 05, 2013, 01:50:50 AM »
Saw this story on a social networking site of an SS getting his comeuppance and HAD to share...

"A crowded United Airlines flight was cancelled. A single agent was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travellers.

"Suddenly, an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket on the counter and said, "I HAVE to be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS."

"The agent replied, "I'm sorry, sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these folks first; and then I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

"The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?"

"Without hesitating, the agent smiled and grabbed her public address microphone. "May I have your attention, please?", she began, her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal. "We have a passenger here at Gate 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him with his identity, please come to Gate 14".

"With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the United Airlines agent, gritted his teeth, and said, "F*** You!"

"Without flinching, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to get in line for that, too."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:11:09 AM by Waterlight »
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson