Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5039114 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21000 on: May 13, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
Speaking of kids on bikes, I once had an entire family on bikes come up behind me on the sidewalk (not a cycle path) while I was walking, and they called imperiously "EXCUSE me!"  When I turned around, they said "We're trying to get by.  Please move."  I said "You've got to be kidding.  The sidewalk is for pedestrians, and I'm not moving."  The mother yelled something else, but I'd put my headphones on by that point and missed it.  Whatever it was, I'm sure it was a compliment.  :)

I'd like to be clear here - I have no problem sharing the sidewalk with bikes.  I get that sometimes the road simply isn't safe.  But to demand that I jump out of their way?  Nope, not happening.

Oh, yeah.  Drives me crazy, too.  The only person I move out of the way for is the mentally challenged guy on his adult sized tricycle style bike.  It is too hard for him to manouver off the sidewalk, onto the grass and then back onto the sidewalk again.  He's pretty polite.  He rings his bell and asks, 'Can I go through, please?'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shalamar

« Reply #21001 on: May 13, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
On the subject of adjusting stuff in cars, my dad used to go nuts when I adjusted the rearview mirror when I borrowed his car.  Never mind that he's over 6' tall and I'm 5'5", and therefore the angle that worked for him didn't work for me.  If I so much as touched the mirror, he'd yell at me for "screwing it up" and how it had "taken (him) ages to get it at exactly the right angle".   ::)

bloo

« Reply #21002 on: May 13, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.

Unless he in incapable of doing so himself, that is not an accurate statement. And I say that as a man who has more than once banged his knee pretty badly upon getting into the car without realizing the seat was up where my wife needs it.

Maybe my car is different, but I can push it back from outside the car in a few seconds. I think it might be something he should work out before making a "decree".

He cannot get in the vehicle, but it's electrical so at the push of a couple of buttons, he can move the seat back and down. He's certainly not verbally abusive (which is well past Special Snowflake behavior anyway), but he tells me every time I happen to be in the passenger seat, "You need to move the seat all the way back for me every time you get out of the car."

That just makes absolutely no sense to me unless you have dedicated cars. But we don't. We both drive both cars equally. If I happened to use 'his' car, I'd move it back, because likely he'd be the next one in it. But I'm just as likely to be the next one in it, so it doesn't make sense to me.

I've asked him six ways from Sunday to put the toilet seat down (I think it's better that way because we see clients at our home) and he's decided not to. So maybe we're PA'ing each other.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21003 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
My youngest cat is a special snowflake. I'll catch her with her head down and say "What are you doing ? Are you eating a lizard ? Spit that out  :o" and she'll go "*jerks head up, guilty meow* Nuffin, Mummy, dere's nuffin in mah mouf, tee ? *opens mouth* MEOWWWW! OH CRAP, I FORGOT! STOP SQURIMING IN MAH MOUF, LIZARD! MEOW MEOW MEOW!"  Yes, I take away the lizards every time and throw them back into the yard.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #21004 on: May 13, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
DH and I were at the hardware store yesterday. This is a fairly large chain with a VERY generous return policy. As in, bring it in with in 90 days of purchase and you get cash back, store credit, exchange, whatever you want, even if your reason is just "I already used it but changed my mind." Yes, a VERY generous policy (DH once saw a guy return an electrical generator that still had gas in it because it "wasn't what [he] expected").

This guy was pitching a fit at the register because the manager wouldn't give him cash back on some piece of equipment. Reasons: Guy admitted he bought the tool 6 or 7 months prior (so, already at least 90 days out of return period) and he had NO receipt to show what he paid for it or that he had even bought it there.

The guy thought the store should give him his money back anyway because, according to him, the tool never functioned properly from the time he purchased it. He tried to use it several times but it was never right. Um, ok? So why didn't he bring it back within the 90-day no-questions-asked return window??!

Guy eventually gives up and loudly gives his parting shot as he storms out: "I guess my $30 lesson today is to never buy anything here again!"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:53:59 PM by Spring Water on Sundays »

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #21005 on: May 13, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.

Unless he in incapable of doing so himself, that is not an accurate statement. And I say that as a man who has more than once banged his knee pretty badly upon getting into the car without realizing the seat was up where my wife needs it.

Maybe my car is different, but I can push it back from outside the car in a few seconds. I think it might be something he should work out before making a "decree".

He cannot get in the vehicle, but it's electrical so at the push of a couple of buttons, he can move the seat back and down. He's certainly not verbally abusive (which is well past Special Snowflake behavior anyway), but he tells me every time I happen to be in the passenger seat, "You need to move the seat all the way back for me every time you get out of the car."

That just makes absolutely no sense to me unless you have dedicated cars. But we don't. We both drive both cars equally. If I happened to use 'his' car, I'd move it back, because likely he'd be the next one in it. But I'm just as likely to be the next one in it, so it doesn't make sense to me.

I've asked him six ways from Sunday to put the toilet seat down (I think it's better that way because we see clients at our home) and he's decided not to. So maybe we're PA'ing each other.

Try to make a deal out of it then :) Offer to try to remember to push the car seat back, if he'll try to remember to put the toilet seat down. It's all in the tone of voice of course, but if you can make it come out in a non-nagging way, it might just work... Well... at least it would with my husband :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Redwing

« Reply #21006 on: May 13, 2013, 02:35:23 PM »
I nominate DH for Special Snowflake.

I'm 5'2". He's 6'4". He's decreed that whenever I leave one of our two cars, that I put the seat all the way down and all the way back, on the chance that he might be the next driver of the car and on the (slimmer) chance that it might be raining.

I usually reply, "Not ever going to happen, but you can keep demanding it if it helps vent your spleen."

His argument is I can jump in the car and adjust it while he has to stand outside the car to do so. This is true and annoying if it's raining. But it's not reasonable, IMO, for me to have adjust the seat every.single.time I use a car. (We both use both vehicles roughly equally). If he used it last, I'd have to adjust once I get in AND when I get out.

If I know for sure he's going to use the car I'm in next I will adjust the seat for him (one of our vehicles is the only one that can haul our boat), but that's all I'm willing to do.

For you super-lucky peeps that have the auto-seat-adjusters in your remote keyless entry fob, my fangs are dripping with envy!

I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.  It only takes a few seconds.  He, on the other hand, has stopped tucking the pull-down-attic-stairs cord up into the hole where I can't reach it without a step stool, because I asked him to nicely.  I think it's just the kind and loving thing to do. 

Of course, there's a difference between "Honey, could you please push the seat back after you drive so I can get in the car?" and "Put the expletive seat back or else, you expletive expletive!"

I'm going to disagree with you as well.  I am 5'2" and my husband is 6'4".  My car has the electric seat mover and if I know he's going to drive it next, I hit his button to change the settings to his.  When we only had one car, I automatically moved the seat back for him.  It wasn't a huge issue and it made things much easier for him.  Of course, he nicely asked me when we first got married 33 years ago if I would do that for hiim and I have been ever since.

Cami

« Reply #21007 on: May 13, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »

I'm 5'2". He's 6'4". He's decreed that whenever I leave one of our two cars, that I put the seat all the way down and all the way back, on the chance that he might be the next driver of the car and on the (slimmer) chance that it might be raining.

I usually reply, "Not ever going to happen, but you can keep demanding it if it helps vent your spleen."

His argument is I can jump in the car and adjust it while he has to stand outside the car to do so. This is true and annoying if it's raining. But it's not reasonable, IMO, for me to have adjust the seat every.single.time I use a car. (We both use both vehicles roughly equally). If he used it last, I'd have to adjust once I get in AND when I get out.

If I know for sure he's going to use the car I'm in next I will adjust the seat for him (one of our vehicles is the only one that can haul our boat), but that's all I'm willing to do.

For you super-lucky peeps that have the auto-seat-adjusters in your remote keyless entry fob, my fangs are dripping with envy!

I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.  It only takes a few seconds.  He, on the other hand, has stopped tucking the pull-down-attic-stairs cord up into the hole where I can't reach it without a step stool, because I asked him to nicely.  I think it's just the kind and loving thing to do. 

Of course, there's a difference between "Honey, could you please push the seat back after you drive so I can get in the car?" and "Put the expletive seat back or else, you expletive expletive!"

I'm going to disagree with you as well.  I am 5'2" and my husband is 6'4".  My car has the electric seat mover and if I know he's going to drive it next, I hit his button to change the settings to his.  When we only had one car, I automatically moved the seat back for him.  It wasn't a huge issue and it made things much easier for him.  Of course, he nicely asked me when we first got married 33 years ago if I would do that for hiim and I have been ever since.
I'd disagree too. My dd and I are roughly the same height, but I'm all leg (my  legs are 6 inches longer than hers). When she drives my car, I literally cannot get into it to move the seat back. So I have to move it from outside -- problem is that it just about requires the ability of a contortionist to move the seat back from outside the car. Meanwhile if she gets in the car after I've driven it, all she has to do is hit the lever and she's good to go. So I'd be pretty ticked if she refused to move the seat back since her getting into the car and moving the seat forward requires almost no effort, while what I have to do is a pain in the patootie.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:40:50 PM by Cami »

Browyn

« Reply #21008 on: May 13, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »

I'm going to disagree with you as well.  I am 5'2" and my husband is 6'4".  My car has the electric seat mover and if I know he's going to drive it next, I hit his button to change the settings to his.  When we only had one car, I automatically moved the seat back for him.  It wasn't a huge issue and it made things much easier for him.  Of course, he nicely asked me when we first got married 33 years ago if I would do that for him and I have been ever since.
I'd disagree too. My dd and I are roughly the same height, but I'm all leg (my  legs are 6 inches longer than hers). When she drives my car, I literally cannot get into it to move the seat back. So I have to move it from outside -- problem is that it just about requires the ability of a contortionist to move the seat back from outside the car. Meanwhile if she gets in the car after I've driven it, all she has to do is hit the lever and she's good to go. So I'd be pretty ticked if she refused to move the seat back since her getting into the car and moving the seat forward requires almost no effort, while what I have to do is a pain in the patootie.

I am 5'2" and DH is 6'2".  We have one car and unless I am sure I will be driving it next I try to always move the seat back for him.  Its a manual seat, so he would have to lean in and grab the bar to move it back or bang his knee on the steering wheel.  I do this as a courtesy for him, he doesn't demand it.  OTOH he does things for me like change lightbulbs that would require climbing on a chair.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #21009 on: May 13, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
When the car seat has been pushed far back in my car, I have fallen in and hurt myself.

Eclectic Dugong

« Reply #21010 on: May 13, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
My youngest cat is a special snowflake. I'll catch her with her head down and say "What are you doing ? Are you eating a lizard ? Spit that out  :o" and she'll go "*jerks head up, guilty meow* Nuffin, Mummy, dere's nuffin in mah mouf, tee ? *opens mouth* MEOWWWW! OH CRAP, I FORGOT! STOP SQURIMING IN MAH MOUF, LIZARD! MEOW MEOW MEOW!"  Yes, I take away the lizards every time and throw them back into the yard.

So is mine :o Cat 3 (Hilde) is a really quite an SS at times.

She will not drink the same water as Cat 2 (Yuri) or Cat 1 (Koudelka), no, she must have all new water, and won't stop yowling until I get it for her, and I then must watch her drink it, for reasons I don't know yet, I guess she thinks someone will steal her water somehow :P

She must sit wherever the human is sitting, not as in on the human, but in their spot, and won't stop yowling until the human moves for her.

She must have her primary human (me) visible to her at all times, otherwise she will, yes, yowl. She has even worked out how to open doors to aid her in her me-seeking endeavour, I have no idea how she does it.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21011 on: May 13, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »
Speaking of kids on bikes, I once had an entire family on bikes come up behind me on the sidewalk (not a cycle path) while I was walking, and they called imperiously "EXCUSE me!"  When I turned around, they said "We're trying to get by.  Please move."  I said "You've got to be kidding.  The sidewalk is for pedestrians, and I'm not moving."  The mother yelled something else, but I'd put my headphones on by that point and missed it.  Whatever it was, I'm sure it was a compliment.  :)

I'd like to be clear here - I have no problem sharing the sidewalk with bikes.  I get that sometimes the road simply isn't safe.  But to demand that I jump out of their way?  Nope, not happening.

Oh, yeah.  Drives me crazy, too.  The only person I move out of the way for is the mentally challenged guy on his adult sized tricycle style bike.  It is too hard for him to manouver off the sidewalk, onto the grass and then back onto the sidewalk again.  He's pretty polite.  He rings his bell and asks, 'Can I go through, please?'

Most sidewalks I've been on, a regular bicycle can go around a person. So, single file, family.

But if they couldn't, I'll be honest--I'd step off, because even for a 2-wheeler, it's difficult to try to ride onto the grass. I don't lose nearly as much momentum.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21012 on: May 13, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
When the car seat has been pushed far back in my car, I have fallen in and hurt myself.

I'm single, so I don't have the moving back and forth problem on a regular basis.  But I hate having to adjust the seat after I've been in for service.  I don't know how many times I've gotten in, put the seatbelt on, then realized I need to adjust the seat.  Then almost choked myself on the seatbelt.

But this has made me think:  we have communal vehicles at work.  I should try to remember to move the seat back when I get out, since most of my coworkers are taller than me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21013 on: May 13, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »

So is mine :o Cat 3 (Hilde) is a really quite an SS at times.

She will not drink the same water as Cat 2 (Yuri) or Cat 1 (Koudelka), no, she must have all new water, and won't stop yowling until I get it for her, and I then must watch her drink it, for reasons I don't know yet, I guess she thinks someone will steal her water somehow :P

She must sit wherever the human is sitting, not as in on the human, but in their spot, and won't stop yowling until the human moves for her.

She must have her primary human (me) visible to her at all times, otherwise she will, yes, yowl. She has even worked out how to open doors to aid her in her me-seeking endeavour, I have no idea how she does it.

My middle cat is like that about tub water. She will yowl like crazy for the faucet to be turned on (never mind the three large bowls of clean water set out), but won't drink it unless I sit next to her first and duck my head down a little so she can headbutt me  ???

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21014 on: May 13, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
I also feel that "all the way back" is the default/neutral position. Sort of "factory setting."