Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5654724 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21060 on: May 18, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
Aside from the awfulness of what she said, why do all stories about SS waiting to see obstetricians always involve them declaring "I'm pregnant" in a room full of pregnant women?  I suppose being a SS makes them totally blind to all the other bumps in the room because no-one else features in their world.

Those types of Special Snowflakes like to hide behind "I can't control how I act. I'm pregnant / getting married / having a birthday." I had someone pull that on me (not at a doctor's office) and then go spin it elsewhere as "You guys, guess what happened to meeeee, TeamBhakta sucks."  ::)

SS overheard at the return desk at work:
Cashier: Do you have a receipt ?
Customer: No. My dog ate it *pause....proverbial lightbulb above head pops up* No, wait. Some of it. My dog ate some of it. My grandkids can't visit me for two weeks without my dog eating something. I put the receipts in the spare room and I shut the door but the dog somehow got in there and must've ate most of the receipts
Cashier: Okay... 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:27:31 PM by TeamBhakta »

Rohanna

« Reply #21061 on: May 18, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »
Aside from the awfulness of what she said, why do all stories about SS waiting to see obstetricians always involve them declaring "I'm pregnant" in a room full of pregnant women?  I suppose being a SS makes them totally blind to all the other bumps in the room because no-one else features in their world.

I personally had a patient have a MASSIVE fit that she couldn't wait to get her testing done because she was pregnant. I pointed out that at least 6 other women in the waiting room were pregnant and waiting for the same test she was, and that I and one other staff member were also expecting- in fact I was further along than she was and doing the *same* test that she was at that point, while working at a busy clinic on the same day. She was pretty quiet after that.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Pen^2

« Reply #21062 on: May 19, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »
I went to the gym on Wednesday, and met a very special snowflake there.

As it turned out, there happened to be no-one else there besides me and SS, who had arrived sometime before me. SS was sitting on a piece of equipment when I came in. I assumed it was to take a rest.

I get on the stationary bike and start my usual warm-up. After five minutes or so, I notice in the mirrors that SS is still sitting down (rather a long break) and is glaring at me. I am confused. My first thought is that SS wanted to use the bike I was on. But there are other bikes next to it, and SS wasn't using it when I came in and said nothing when I made to use it. I keep riding, going through my usual workout, and focussing on the pace and so on.

After twenty minutes, as I'm starting to wind down, SS is still sitting there glaring. If looks could kill. I felt very uncomfortable to the point that I was sure if I asked what was wrong, I would be punched for my insolence or something.

As I get off the bike and walk over to the weights machine, SS abruptly gets up and storms over to the door, but stops just short of going out. Instead, out comes the phone. A very loud conversation (in French, so I don't know what it was about) started up. It lasted fifteen minutes, and was still going when I left. It was odd that SS decided to make the call so close to the door but didn't actually leave the gym (there is a no phone call policy).

I went again on Friday, and as I signed in, the security lady there mentioned while chuckling that someone had complained about me. Turns out SS was livid that I had dared to use the gym which SS wanted. Not that I was using specific equipment or anything--SS wanted the whole entire gym. Not to use necessarily, just to be the only one allowed in or something. Weirdly territorial. The phone call had been SS complaining to a friend about how audacious I was. The awesome security lady apparently explained where SS could stick the phone, and that a repeat would mean defenestration  >:D.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #21063 on: May 19, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
The neighbours AGAIN at 4am having a party with bottle throwing, screaming, swearing, constant DOOFDOOFDOOF techno and revving cars. They finally conked out at 6am but there is glass again all over the road.

I called in a noise complaint but the local cop shop is closed :/ so I call the other number of the cop shop that is meant to cover them when they are closed and I get the 'sorry but it's not considered an emergency so nothing can be done. Call you local police station during business hours and lodge a noise complaint' WE HAVE, the WHOLE BLEEPING STREET HAS. REPEATEDLY. They throw these parties BECAUSE the local police station is closed and YOU won't do a dingdangity thing about it!! They are fighting in the middle of the road with beer bottles dodging cars and it's not worth a call out?!? Yeesh. No street lights on this road too so the combative drunk girls that keeps lying in the road off her tree smoking weed will be flattened one day.

I know these partiers, are not getting there lease renewed and from the gossip around town they have been blackballed by all other rental places, jobs at the major factories and banned from all the pubs because they pissed off everyone within 2 blocks from their partying and behaviour. Small town, behave like a *&@# and you WILL pay a penalty. From the gossip this is their MO, move to a new town where no one knows their reputation then eventually get chased out. 6 months to go.

What gets me is the original ringleader who was one of the first renters and actually got booted from the house because everyone he lived with was sick of him being such a callous donkey rear and the constant partying. Since he has been unoffically 'banned' from so many places in so many towns he comes back to the only place he can party because his old flat mates are too wimpy to say go away. The group in there are not actually bad kids, just a little loud on occasion until donkey rear shows up and starts the fighting and parties. Their reputation is ruined here though and even if they turn themselves around they have been tarred.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21064 on: May 19, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
I can't even imagine a police department of any kind that won't go out on night calls!  Isn't that when most "issues" that would require their intervention occur?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21065 on: May 19, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
I've never heard of a Police Department closing down at night.  What happens if someone needs an ambulance in the middle of the night?  Is there a Fire Department that responds to night calls?  Will a call to 911 at 2 AM be get a response at 7 AM?  The mind boggles.   

Pen^2

« Reply #21066 on: May 19, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
I've never heard of a Police Department closing down at night.  What happens if someone needs an ambulance in the middle of the night?  Is there a Fire Department that responds to night calls?  Will a call to 911 at 2 AM be get a response at 7 AM?  The mind boggles.

Although officially, the police where we last lived were open 24 hours as is legally required, the truth was quite the contrary. We found this out the hard way: being woken up at 3am by a crazy homeless guy swearing death threats breaking our windows by smashing them with a knife. The police did not pick up the first few times I called. When they finally did, the guy took down my details, said he'd send someone ASAP, and nothing came of it. DH also called separately and had a similar result. No-one ever came. We kept calling, and were told (on the few occasions where the phone was answered) that either someone was already on their way, or that someone would be sent immediately.

We later complained to high-ups and higher-ups but since officially the police had no record of our call or the crime we reported, they refused to believe that any incident had occurred. Eventually it became obvious that nothing short of a hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars lawyer and several years in court would change things. We have since heard similar stories from many, many other people. The people it hasn't happened to generally chalk it up to us exaggerating or lying. The perception of public safety is basically a delusion.

In the same area, it was well known by all the locals that if you call an ambulance, you needed to mention heart problems (even if they weren't there) because it was the only way to guarantee that the ambulance came within half an hour, or at all.

It is scary to realise that the safety net you always thought was ready to catch you when things fell apart just wasn't there, nothing could be done, and no-one cared.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #21067 on: May 19, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »

Although officially, the police where we last lived were open 24 hours as is legally required, the truth was quite the contrary. We found this out the hard way: being woken up at 3am by a crazy homeless guy swearing death threats breaking our windows by smashing them with a knife. The police did not pick up the first few times I called. When they finally did, the guy took down my details, said he'd send someone ASAP, and nothing came of it. DH also called separately and had a similar result. No-one ever came. We kept calling, and were told (on the few occasions where the phone was answered) that either someone was already on their way, or that someone would be sent immediately.

We later complained to high-ups and higher-ups but since officially the police had no record of our call or the crime we reported, they refused to believe that any incident had occurred. Eventually it became obvious that nothing short of a hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars lawyer and several years in court would change things. We have since heard similar stories from many, many other people. The people it hasn't happened to generally chalk it up to us exaggerating or lying. The perception of public safety is basically a delusion.

In the same area, it was well known by all the locals that if you call an ambulance, you needed to mention heart problems (even if they weren't there) because it was the only way to guarantee that the ambulance came within half an hour, or at all.

It is scary to realise that the safety net you always thought was ready to catch you when things fell apart just wasn't there, nothing could be done, and no-one cared.
That reminds me of a joke I heard.

George, an elderly man, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" He said "No" but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.

Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available". "Okay" said George.

He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot and killed them both, the dogs are eating them right now" and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six police cars, a SWAT Team, helicopter, two fire trucks, paramedics, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the policemen said to George "I thought you said that you'd shot them!" George said "I thought you said there was nobody available!"
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21068 on: May 19, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »
The neighbours AGAIN at 4am having a party with bottle throwing, screaming, swearing, constant DOOFDOOFDOOF techno and revving cars. They finally conked out at 6am but there is glass again all over the road.

I would be tempted to get my neighbourhood together and have us all agree to mow our lawns and blow our leaves at 9:00 am on the morning following one of these blowouts.  By waiting until 9:00, you wouldn't be rude to the rest of the neighbourhood that didn't want to participate.  But I guess it could be considered retaliatory rudeness...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

weeblewobble

« Reply #21069 on: May 19, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
DS graduated from preschool on Friday.  I am aware he will have other graduations so I'm trying to keep this in perspective, but I did want to take a photo of him accepting his little diploma in his little cap and gown. So I got a seat on the aisle where I could get that photo without standing up and obstructing the view of other parents.  I underestimated the selfishness of SS "I am the only one who needs to see my CHIIIIIILD graduate."  This guy literally parked himself in the middle of the aisle near the front row so NO ONE behind him could get a picture of their kids graduating.  Any pictures or video I took have his back in them. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21070 on: May 19, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
DS graduated from preschool on Friday.  I am aware he will have other graduations so I'm trying to keep this in perspective, but I did want to take a photo of him accepting his little diploma in his little cap and gown. So I got a seat on the aisle where I could get that photo without standing up and obstructing the view of other parents.  I underestimated the selfishness of SS "I am the only one who needs to see my CHIIIIIILD graduate."  This guy literally parked himself in the middle of the aisle near the front row so NO ONE behind him could get a picture of their kids graduating.  Any pictures or video I took have his back in them. 

Why didn't you ask him to move?  I would have!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21071 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »

I would be tempted to get my neighbourhood together and have us all agree to mow our lawns and blow our leaves at 9:00 am on the morning following one of these blowouts.  By waiting until 9:00, you wouldn't be rude to the rest of the neighbourhood that didn't want to participate.  But I guess it could be considered retaliatory rudeness...

Oh, no.  That wouldn't be considered retaliatory rudeness.  It would simply be considered responsible  home maintenance.  If you could get the children out practicing their musical instruments and playing sidewalk games with a lot of loud fun involved, you'd also be exhibiting a healthy community spirit.  >:D 

snowdragon

« Reply #21072 on: May 19, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
I can't even imagine a police department of any kind that won't go out on night calls!  Isn't that when most "issues" that would require their intervention occur?
ncomm
  I've heard of it before. When I was in college the first time I lived in a neighborhood that sounded similar. Police did not like going there after dak, delivery service guys were terrified, of the area, EMT's didn't want to deal so you had to tell them that such and so had either had a heart attack or they didn't like to come, and you'd wait forever. I was so glad to move out of there and back into my mom's area that I held Thanksgiving dinner early ( in May) when I finally moved. It's not uncommon for people not to be able to get services when they live in the "wrong" areas. Sad but true.

weeblewobble

« Reply #21073 on: May 19, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »

Why didn't you ask him to move?  I would have!

The ceremony had already started and there was no way to do it without causing more of a disruption/standing in other parents' way.  Like I said, I'm trying to keep in mind that he's going to have other graduations and that I did get some pictures of him before the ceremony in his cap and gown. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21074 on: May 19, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »

:o  I'm very surprised that someone associated with the school (teacher or director) didn't tell him he needed to move.  Sitting in an aisle is not only terribly selfish and rude, it is also an emergency escape hazard.