Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5297932 times)

snowdragon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21075 on: May 19, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
I can't even imagine a police department of any kind that won't go out on night calls!  Isn't that when most "issues" that would require their intervention occur?
ncomm
  I've heard of it before. When I was in college the first time I lived in a neighborhood that sounded similar. Police did not like going there after dak, delivery service guys were terrified, of the area, EMT's didn't want to deal so you had to tell them that such and so had either had a heart attack or they didn't like to come, and you'd wait forever. I was so glad to move out of there and back into my mom's area that I held Thanksgiving dinner early ( in May) when I finally moved. It's not uncommon for people not to be able to get services when they live in the "wrong" areas. Sad but true.

weeblewobble

« Reply #21076 on: May 19, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
DS graduated from preschool on Friday.  I am aware he will have other graduations so I'm trying to keep this in perspective, but I did want to take a photo of him accepting his little diploma in his little cap and gown. So I got a seat on the aisle where I could get that photo without standing up and obstructing the view of other parents.  I underestimated the selfishness of SS "I am the only one who needs to see my CHIIIIIILD graduate."  This guy literally parked himself in the middle of the aisle near the front row so NO ONE behind him could get a picture of their kids graduating.  Any pictures or video I took have his back in them. 

Why didn't you ask him to move?  I would have!

The ceremony had already started and there was no way to do it without causing more of a disruption/standing in other parents' way.  Like I said, I'm trying to keep in mind that he's going to have other graduations and that I did get some pictures of him before the ceremony in his cap and gown. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21077 on: May 19, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »
DS graduated from preschool on Friday.  I am aware he will have other graduations so I'm trying to keep this in perspective, but I did want to take a photo of him accepting his little diploma in his little cap and gown. So I got a seat on the aisle where I could get that photo without standing up and obstructing the view of other parents.  I underestimated the selfishness of SS "I am the only one who needs to see my CHIIIIIILD graduate."  This guy literally parked himself in the middle of the aisle near the front row so NO ONE behind him could get a picture of their kids graduating.  Any pictures or video I took have his back in them.

:o  I'm very surprised that someone associated with the school (teacher or director) didn't tell him he needed to move.  Sitting in an aisle is not only terribly selfish and rude, it is also an emergency escape hazard. 

Iris

« Reply #21078 on: May 19, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
The neighbours AGAIN at 4am having a party with bottle throwing, screaming, swearing, constant DOOFDOOFDOOF techno and revving cars. They finally conked out at 6am but there is glass again all over the road.

I would be tempted to get my neighbourhood together and have us all agree to mow our lawns and blow our leaves at 9:00 am on the morning following one of these blowouts.  By waiting until 9:00, you wouldn't be rude to the rest of the neighbourhood that didn't want to participate.  But I guess it could be considered retaliatory rudeness...

Oh, no.  That wouldn't be considered retaliatory rudeness.  It would simply be considered responsible  home maintenance.  If you could get the children out practicing their musical instruments and playing sidewalk games with a lot of loud fun involved, you'd also be exhibiting a healthy community spirit.  >:D

Absolutely. When some people in our street in a small country town had a loud party *starting* at 3 am, when the police options were either a) an hour away or b) involved waking the local police from their hard earned sleep, the neighbourhood let them have their party. And the next morning was SSaturday morning. It's *normal* to mow your lawn on Saturday morning right? And edge. And leaf blow.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21079 on: May 19, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
That reminds me of a joke I heard.

George, an elderly man, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" He said "No" but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.

Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available". "Okay" said George.

He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot and killed them both, the dogs are eating them right now" and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six police cars, a SWAT Team, helicopter, two fire trucks, paramedics, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the policemen said to George "I thought you said that you'd shot them!" George said "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

Change it from garden shed to neighbor's house and leave out the part about the dogs eating the bodies - and it has happened here several times. John Horn being the most recent as far as I know.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MissRose

« Reply #21080 on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
On my way home from work a few days ago, I glanced into my rear view mirror and noticed a woman with a cigarette in one hand & a cell phone in the other, and I could tell she was talking.  I am glad she turned at the corner instead of following me as I was not turning at the corner.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #21081 on: May 19, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
Not really SS story, but there are some parent SS who insist their child is mature enough to go on carnival rides.

This is what can happen

I'm interested to know why the ride operator let them on.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21082 on: May 19, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »
Not really SS story, but there are some parent SS who insist their child is mature enough to go on carnival rides.

This is what can happen

There is a ride at Houston Museum of Natural Science that Loren loves. Brett can't wait until he is tall enough. Every single time we go they rush over to the ride to measure him (he is close to tall enough).Then they come back and inform me he isn't quite tall enough. He is disappointed but doesn't fuss -because we explained to him that if he isn't tall enough he could slip out of the restraints. We compare it to him needing a booster, but Loren doesn't now. Since it turns upside down and flips around so you have to fit the restraints.

I was once at a Old Home Week on PEI. My cousins and I were in line for the bumper cars. We couldn't get on because the man in front of us was arguing with the attendant. His son was way way to short as in the kid was 2 or 3 years old and you had to be the size of a 5 or 6 yo by the sign. The man's argument was he was going to ride with the kid and would keep him safe.

Finally I had enough! I looked at the guy and said are you kidding me. Do you know what shaken baby syndrome is? Have you ever ridden in bumper cars? The whole idea is to smash into each other with as much speed and force as possible. The seat belt won't hold him - it will cross in front of his face or across his throat. Kids his size have been paralyzed and brain damaged from rides like this. Is it really worth risking your child having brain or spinal cord damage because of your idea of a perfect day at the fair?

The Dad looked at me, and at the angry teenagers behind my group and left.

Maybe not completely nice, but he held up the line for several minutes. The teens behind my group of cousins were getting nasty and I was afraid that they were going to start a fight or try to throw the guy out.

I did make a point of writing both the carnival and the Old Home Week people and complementing the attendant on standing firm and not letting the blowhard take his kid on the the ride. I found out from my uncle later that a child had been seriously injured the year before because he was to little to be on the bumper cars but was riding with his parent.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #21083 on: May 20, 2013, 12:46:47 AM »
I've never heard of a Police Department closing down at night.  What happens if someone needs an ambulance in the middle of the night?  Is there a Fire Department that responds to night calls?  Will a call to 911 at 2 AM be get a response at 7 AM?  The mind boggles.

Fire department, ambulance and police are different services. When you call our emergency number you choose which option you want and go from there. The emergency room and fire station here is 24 hours, the police station isn't.

I'm not calling the the emergency number for some drunk idiotic hooligans so I call the police station direct line. The cops here are usually good except when they close. Last Christmas when they were closed nearly had a riot on our street because of these twits.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #21084 on: May 20, 2013, 12:59:16 AM »
The neighbours AGAIN at 4am having a party with bottle throwing, screaming, swearing, constant DOOFDOOFDOOF techno and revving cars. They finally conked out at 6am but there is glass again all over the road.

I would be tempted to get my neighbourhood together and have us all agree to mow our lawns and blow our leaves at 9:00 am on the morning following one of these blowouts.  By waiting until 9:00, you wouldn't be rude to the rest of the neighbourhood that didn't want to participate.  But I guess it could be considered retaliatory rudeness...

Oh, no.  That wouldn't be considered retaliatory rudeness.  It would simply be considered responsible  home maintenance.  If you could get the children out practicing their musical instruments and playing sidewalk games with a lot of loud fun involved, you'd also be exhibiting a healthy community spirit.  >:D

Absolutely. When some people in our street in a small country town had a loud party *starting* at 3 am, when the police options were either a) an hour away or b) involved waking the local police from their hard earned sleep, the neighbourhood let them have their party. And the next morning was SSaturday morning. It's *normal* to mow your lawn on Saturday morning right? And edge. And leaf blow.

I'm rural so these noises at 5am onwards are normal anyway. We had a head of cattle going to the works at 2am to 8am last wednesday and the whole town heard that and I live near a beach which holds regular music shows which half the town can hear at night which are actually quieter than this party house. Most of the residents in my street are elderly and are afraid of this mob and a few people have moved out of their homes to friends' places to get away from them. All of us are fed up but legally there is nothing other than repeatedly lodging complaints with the police. Let's not get into legal territory.

I'm outside now and I can hear them having a discussion on what the next months cleaning roster will be. I don't know many 18-22 year olds that would do that on their own. They are not bad kids they just lack awareness and good taste in music

Gyburc

« Reply #21085 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:51 AM »

This is what can happen

I was once at a Old Home Week on PEI. My cousins and I were in line for the bumper cars. We couldn't get on because the man in front of us was arguing with the attendant. His son was way way to short as in the kid was 2 or 3 years old and you had to be the size of a 5 or 6 yo by the sign. The man's argument was he was going to ride with the kid and would keep him safe.

Finally I had enough! I looked at the guy and said are you kidding me. Do you know what shaken baby syndrome is? Have you ever ridden in bumper cars? The whole idea is to smash into each other with as much speed and force as possible. The seat belt won't hold him - it will cross in front of his face or across his throat. Kids his size have been paralyzed and brain damaged from rides like this. Is it really worth risking your child having brain or spinal cord damage because of your idea of a perfect day at the fair?

The Dad looked at me, and at the angry teenagers behind my group and left.

Maybe not completely nice, but he held up the line for several minutes. The teens behind my group of cousins were getting nasty and I was afraid that they were going to start a fight or try to throw the guy out.

I did make a point of writing both the carnival and the Old Home Week people and complementing the attendant on standing firm and not letting the blowhard take his kid on the the ride. I found out from my uncle later that a child had been seriously injured the year before because he was to little to be on the bumper cars but was riding with his parent.

I think you did the right thing.

It has been many years since I last went on any fairground rides more challenging than a carousel, because I would always find that I was just a bit too short to be comfortably held in place. I'm 5 foot tall, and short in the body and I would always find that there was a gap of a couple of inches between me and the restraints. I was held in safely, but I would get bounced around an awful lot and it simply wasn't any fun. Quite aside from the safety aspects, I can't imagine the poor little boy in your story would have enjoyed the ride!

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #21086 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:16 AM »
Update on the "Crazy Pregnant Woman."  Crazy pregnant woman - Part II.  The OP ran into a second Snowflake at the doctor's office. Post is rather sad--financial and health problems for the OP.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Cami

« Reply #21087 on: May 20, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »
It's very likely that I'd written a while back about the "Minivan Mom" who daily tailgated behind me past a school and/or sped past the school who, about a year ago, was FINALLY nabbed by police right by the school. She apparently lost her license for a year. This morning as I go past the school on the way to work, I am nearly cut off by a minivan running the stop sign, who has to get behind me. It's the same color as Minivan Mom. Sure enough, the vehicle starts tailgating me (really right on my bumper). I look in my mirror and sure enough, it's Minivan Mom. Apparently losing her license for a year taught her nothing. Unbelievable.

hjaye

« Reply #21088 on: May 20, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
I've got 2 nominations for SS.

The first happened last year, but I Was reminded of it this weekend.

My wife's daughter is recently divorced.  During the course of the divorce proceedings, there was the normal range of emotions ranging from we're working things out amicably, or I hate him, despise him, glad to be rid of him, he's the scum of the earth.

Depending on they were feeling towards each other there was a direct effect as to how smoothly the divorce was proceeding.  During an "I hate him moment" there were issues concerning child support  (BG:  the daughters husband had adopted her teenage daughter during the course of their marriage, so he was now liable for Child support)

My wife's granddaughter was on the phone with her step sister, her dad's biological daughter.  the Bio daughter was telling my wife's granddaughter:

"No one understands how bad this divorce is affecting me.  I'm going to be graduating from high school in six months and if your mom keeps insisting on a Child Support amount that my dad can't afford, everyone is going to stay mad at each other and then no one will be at my graduation.

A few things that were overlooked:

Dad had paid for daughters car and car insurance

Daughters Child which was more than what he was being asked to pay for adopted daughter and daughters CS was ending since she was graduating

I personally believe that dad put daughter up to it to try and get his adopted daughter to apply pressure on her mom, but I still consider Bio daughter a SS because as far as she was concerned, no one was suffering more from this divorce than her, and people needed to take that into consideration as they tried to come to a divorce agreement.

The second one is the wife of my wife's son.  She has a job where she has to be at work by 8:00am.  She only lives about fifteen minutes from where she works, but she consistently comes in between 9:00am and 9:30 every single day.

Her reason is that she has a four year old she needs to get up and get ready and take to day care, and people just don't know how difficult that is, because obviously, she is the only person in the world that has to get a young child up in the morning, feed her breakfast, get her dressed and out the door.

She is lucky her boss is very lenient.  she has been talked to on four different occasions, and eventually her boss may get fed up, but right now her boss wants to work with her.

MrTango

« Reply #21089 on: May 20, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »

I called in a noise complaint but the local cop shop is closed :/ so I call the other number of the cop shop that is meant to cover them when they are closed and I get the 'sorry but it's not considered an emergency so nothing can be done. Call you local police station during business hours and lodge a noise complaint' WE HAVE, the WHOLE BLEEPING STREET HAS. REPEATEDLY. They throw these parties BECAUSE the local police station is closed and YOU won't do a dingdangity thing about it!! They are fighting in the middle of the road with beer bottles dodging cars and it's not worth a call out?!? Yeesh. No street lights on this road too so the combative drunk girls that keeps lying in the road off her tree smoking weed will be flattened one day.

I know these partiers, are not getting there lease renewed and from the gossip around town they have been blackballed by all other rental places, jobs at the major factories and banned from all the pubs because they pissed off everyone within 2 blocks from their partying and behaviour. Small town, behave like a *&@# and you WILL pay a penalty. From the gossip this is their MO, move to a new town where no one knows their reputation then eventually get chased out. 6 months to go.

What gets me is the original ringleader who was one of the first renters and actually got booted from the house because everyone he lived with was sick of him being such a callous donkey rear and the constant partying. Since he has been unoffically 'banned' from so many places in so many towns he comes back to the only place he can party because his old flat mates are too wimpy to say go away. The group in there are not actually bad kids, just a little loud on occasion until donkey rear shows up and starts the fighting and parties. Their reputation is ruined here though and even if they turn themselves around they have been tarred.

Maybe it's because I'm a jerk, but I'd be likely to call the tip-line of the sleaziest local news outlet in your area. The one that specializes in high-powered, gotcha-style journalism.

I'd bet they'll jump all over a story about a local police department that doesn't provide 24/7 services and their designated backup who refuses to respond to multiple disorderly conduct calls.  When I was a 911 dispatcher, that call would have been considered relatively high priority (not quite as high as a robbery-in-progress, but still high enough to get a lights & siren response).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:50:22 AM by MrTango »