Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5554569 times)

Addy

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21090 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
Wow, what's in the water? I have a doctor's office SS from last week too.

My son was in a car accident, the car was totaled, so they have no wheels while they are looking for a new car. My DIL had an prenatal appointment, so I drove the half hour to pick them up, then half hour back to my town, where her doctor is. We had to run an errand on the way, yet still managed to arrive 5 minutes before her appointment time at 4 pm.

A family consisting of mom, dad and very small baby arrive to check in. The receptionist says that their appointment was for 2:30. Mom apologizes and says they had an emergency. Ok, I understand that, especially dealing with a newborn, but then Mr. SS asks if they have any idea how long the wait will be, since he has to get back to work. So the receptionist says ok, she'll get them in next.  >:(

Looking at it written down, it doesn't sound so bad, but it was really the tone he used, like that long suffering, woe-is-me, I have to wait forever. If you'd been here at 2:30, you'd be back at work by now!

But really, it was the receptionist that ticked me off the most, since she effectively gave away my DIL's appointment time. That doesn't make her a SS though, so maybe I posted this in the wrong place.

exitzero

« Reply #21091 on: May 20, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
Update on the "Crazy Pregnant Woman."  Crazy pregnant woman - Part II.  The OP ran into a second Snowflake at the doctor's office. Post is rather sad--financial and health problems for the OP.

I want to believe there's some sort of X-Files worthy spirit possessing people in that office and not that it's just a magnet for heartless jerks. Poor lady  :(

Stories like this make me lose my faith in humanity. What kind of person wouldn't pay for the appointment of the person in front of them if they saw this happen? My mother would rise up out of the grave and kick my butt if I didn't help that woman, never mind act the way she did.

Coruscation

« Reply #21092 on: May 20, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
Don't expect it to end soon. The twenty fifth anniversary of my parent's divorce is this August.

They had property settlement after a year during which my Dad felt he was ripped off and my mother felt that she didn't get enough money.* So it was probably fair, I was a fifteen at the time, my sister was seven.

My sister rang my father the other day and told him that he ripped my mother off during property settlement and that is why my mother is sleeping on a 20 year old mattress.

My mother, who went on a three month European holiday last year and paid for my sister to go with her so she wouldn't be alone.

I don't know whether my mother triggered this one or my sister, who wants to go overseas again but can't save.

*I don't want to get to much into what actually happened but from what I remember Mum calculated how much she needed to buy a house, adjusted her estimates to that amount then received less because the solicitor took 10% and since he was provided by Legal Aid, she thought he was free.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21093 on: May 20, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »

My son was in a car accident, the car was totaled, so they have no wheels while they are looking for a new car. My DIL had an prenatal appointment, so I drove the half hour to pick them up, then half hour back to my town, where her doctor is. We had to run an errand on the way, yet still managed to arrive 5 minutes before her appointment time at 4 pm.

A family consisting of mom, dad and very small baby arrive to check in. The receptionist says that their appointment was for 2:30. Mom apologizes and says they had an emergency. Ok, I understand that, especially dealing with a newborn, but then Mr. SS asks if they have any idea how long the wait will be, since he has to get back to work. So the receptionist says ok, she'll get them in next.  >:(

Looking at it written down, it doesn't sound so bad, but it was really the tone he used, like that long suffering, woe-is-me, I have to wait forever. If you'd been here at 2:30, you'd be back at work by now!

But really, it was the receptionist that ticked me off the most, since she effectively gave away my DIL's appointment time. That doesn't make her a SS though, so maybe I posted this in the wrong place.

I think your DIL needed to say, "I really object to you giving away my appointment.  I need to insist that you keep my 4:00 appointment time."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21094 on: May 20, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
Update on the "Crazy Pregnant Woman."  Crazy pregnant woman - Part II.  The OP ran into a second Snowflake at the doctor's office. Post is rather sad--financial and health problems for the OP.

I want to believe there's some sort of X-Files worthy spirit possessing people in that office and not that it's just a magnet for heartless jerks. Poor lady  :(

Stories like this make me lose my faith in humanity. What kind of person wouldn't pay for the appointment of the person in front of them if they saw this happen? My mother would rise up out of the grave and kick my butt if I didn't help that woman, never mind act the way she did.

Someone who may not be able to afford or want to spend an additional $40 ( or whatever) at the time.  It sucks and I can feel empathy, but that doesn't mean I'm obliged to fix someone else's problem.  That doesn't make me a bad person

Addy

« Reply #21095 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »

I think your DIL needed to say, "I really object to you giving away my appointment.  I need to insist that you keep my 4:00 appointment time."

Shoo, that's exactly what I would have said if I were her, but she wasn't too bothered by the wait, and it wasn't really my appointment, so I couldn't say anything. But I sure felt like saying it.  >:D

EmmaJ.

« Reply #21096 on: May 20, 2013, 06:52:17 PM »

And I'm upset the doctor refused to see a high-risk pregnancy.   :(

Jocelyn

« Reply #21097 on: May 20, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »

You and me both. I cannot BELIEVE that a woman who had lost one twin and was having contractions putting the other twin at risk, would be refused by her OB. I sure wouldn't want such an OB- will the doctor actually show up for the delivery? Or if she does, will she show up with a credit card machine and announce that she won't deliver without payment in full?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21098 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45:33 PM »

Someone who may not be able to afford or want to spend an additional $40 ( or whatever) at the time.  It sucks and I can feel empathy, but that doesn't mean I'm obliged to fix someone else's problem.  That doesn't make me a bad person

I agree. That's about the amount my company has cut from my paychecks recently :P Which leaves me with no wiggle room to give someone else money, unless I skip paying my bills

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21099 on: May 20, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
It's very likely that I'd written a while back about the "Minivan Mom" who daily tailgated behind me past a school and/or sped past the school who, about a year ago, was FINALLY nabbed by police right by the school. She apparently lost her license for a year. This morning as I go past the school on the way to work, I am nearly cut off by a minivan running the stop sign, who has to get behind me. It's the same color as Minivan Mom. Sure enough, the vehicle starts tailgating me (really right on my bumper). I look in my mirror and sure enough, it's Minivan Mom. Apparently losing her license for a year taught her nothing. Unbelievable.
If it becomes a pattern call the non emergency number and report the van with the licience number if you can. We had someone doing this near our school - but they were also bypassing a SPED bus transporting children who use wheelchairs and need a lift. (The family is quiet quick about being prompt go get him from the bus.) The local cops sat in our parking lot and got the jerk. The jerk then ranted and raved to us, to transportation, and to the universe that the parents should just push him across the street. What we couldn't and wouldn't say is that the young man was in HS not elementary school.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

doodlemor

« Reply #21100 on: May 20, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
.......... I cannot BELIEVE that a woman who had lost one twin and was having contractions putting the other twin at risk, would be refused by her OB. I sure wouldn't want such an OB- will the doctor actually show up for the delivery? Or if she does, will she show up with a credit card machine and announce that she won't deliver without payment in full?

I'm not sure that I believe this either.  Wouldn't a condition like this require hospitalization? 

Does anyone actually verify that the stories on that site are true?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21101 on: May 20, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »

POD. My Uncle Press (actually great-grand uncle) would have pinned that doctor's ears back and made him recite the Hippocratic oath. But then Uncle Press did surgery on kitchen tables and got paid in chickens, eggs, and lobsters. He also barreled through the red tape the time my cousin and I switched ice cream bars and I got the one with peanuts in it (I was 3 she was 4). Not only were my parents not there to consent to treatment - we were in a different country with a whole different system and our insurance was worthless. He saved me, then paraded the 5 of us (Sis, 3 cousins, and me) around the hospital introducing us to everyone.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jones

« Reply #21102 on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »
.......... I cannot BELIEVE that a woman who had lost one twin and was having contractions putting the other twin at risk, would be refused by her OB. I sure wouldn't want such an OB- will the doctor actually show up for the delivery? Or if she does, will she show up with a credit card machine and announce that she won't deliver without payment in full?

I'm not sure that I believe this either.  Wouldn't a condition like this require hospitalization? 

Does anyone actually verify that the stories on that site are true?
Yeah, I wondered about it too. When my SIL didn't have insurance, they asked for payment before being seen, but were willing to see her if they could get her to sign a higher bill (basically, gave her a "discount" for paying in cash up front, vs. sending a bill). My current OB gives me an up front quote at the beginning of pregnancy, for a healthy pregnancy and gives me months (the full pregnancy) to pay it off, with extra months at the end if something unexpected occurs with extra billings.  I can't imagine an OB refusing to see a woman carrying a dead or dying fetus, money or no money. Billings and collections can occur later, once the doctor has provided his/her service.

If it is true, I sincerely hope she sits herself down in ER until the OB on call is brought in and reassigned to her. ER is for emergencies, a dying baby is an emergency.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21103 on: May 20, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that story rang a bit false.  I can't see an OB worth their salt turning someone down in that situation.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

doodlemor

« Reply #21104 on: May 20, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »

If it is true, I sincerely hope she sits herself down in ER until the OB on call is brought in and reassigned to her. ER is for emergencies, a dying baby is an emergency.

Absolutely agree.