Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5753076 times)

crella

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21180 on: May 22, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
I've had two this week, one yesterday and one today and I  hope that everything really doesn't come in threes...

Yesterday I was on a two-lane one way street (in downtown Kobe we have a lot of one-ways) traveling in the right hand lane as I wanted to enter a parking garage on the right hand side of the street. I put on my directional (can't shake that Boston English....) in plenty of time and started to ease into the garage to pull up and take a ticket, while watching to be sure there were no pedestrians, when a woman pulled over across both lanes from a parking space on the opposite side of the street to try and cut me off and get in there first.  There was no way we were going to fit in there simultaneously  ;D I was so surprised that my eyebrows went up and my mouth dropped open before I could catch myself (Oops!). She saw my surprised look and held off while I continued in. Her passengers were laughing, and saying things like 'I can't believe you just did that, hahahahaha!' Yes, neither could I  :D

Today I was sitting in the left hand lane of two on my side of the road, waiting to make a left hand turn to go to the post office. When I pulled up to the light there was a car in the right hand lane beside me, with their left directional on. I thought it was just that they didn't realize it was still on after a lane change or something. Nope. As soon as I turned, they turned left as well and were right behind me. It's a wonder they didn't get hit.

I'm going to be careful tomorrow!

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #21181 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
I have to nominate my own co-leader for SS status. I love her so much and she is amazing. I honestly couldn't handle our GS troop without her. That being said...
CL's husband is the coach of the softball team their daughter (and several of my other GS) are on. He picks the same night we have our meeting for practices. We have meetings every other week, practice is every week. There are only three meetings left for GS. I point out to my CL and other parents that their daughters can not miss all three weeks and still attend the end of the year party. We have had an attendance policy in place since last year because certain parents were treating GS like drop off daycare: not coming to the meetings but expecting us to take their daughters camping or to the "fun activities" only.
The policy states that if a girl misses 3 meetings in a row, she can't come to any "outside" activities. CL was furious with me. Didn't I know that her daughter was too young to chose between GS and sports? How dare I put her in this horrible position! (Side note, I'd blame your husband because HE chose the day for practice!) Her daughter hadn't missed more than one meeting in three years so why should it apply to her? She was the co-leader, the other girls were all her daughter's friends, so can't I make an exception?
It was a very uncomfortable conversation. I had to keep saying that if it was ANYONE else who was missing three meetings in a row, I would tell them the same thing. She is still mad at me but has agreed to have her daughter come to one of the three meetings.
I know we're not ending world hunger or weaving blankets for the homeless at these meetings, but I still feel the girls made a commitment that they need to honor. The rules apply to everyone or they apply to no one.

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #21182 on: May 22, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
I have to nominate my own co-leader for SS status. I love her so much and she is amazing. I honestly couldn't handle our GS troop without her. That being said...
CL's husband is the coach of the softball team their daughter (and several of my other GS) are on. He picks the same night we have our meeting for practices. We have meetings every other week, practice is every week. There are only three meetings left for GS. I point out to my CL and other parents that their daughters can not miss all three weeks and still attend the end of the year party. We have had an attendance policy in place since last year because certain parents were treating GS like drop off daycare: not coming to the meetings but expecting us to take their daughters camping or to the "fun activities" only.
The policy states that if a girl misses 3 meetings in a row, she can't come to any "outside" activities. CL was furious with me. Didn't I know that her daughter was too young to chose between GS and sports? How dare I put her in this horrible position! (Side note, I'd blame your husband because HE chose the day for practice!) Her daughter hadn't missed more than one meeting in three years so why should it apply to her? She was the co-leader, the other girls were all her daughter's friends, so can't I make an exception?
It was a very uncomfortable conversation. I had to keep saying that if it was ANYONE else who was missing three meetings in a row, I would tell them the same thing. She is still mad at me but has agreed to have her daughter come to one of the three meetings.
I know we're not ending world hunger or weaving blankets for the homeless at these meetings, but I still feel the girls made a commitment that they need to honor. The rules apply to everyone or they apply to no one.

Honestly, I think your co-leader and her DH are SS! I'm a GS Troop leader too and I know how difficult it can be to schedule meetings.  Why can't her DH move their practice night?  He has to know what night GS is....
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

deadbody

« Reply #21183 on: May 22, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »

Honestly, I think your co-leader and her DH are SS! I'm a GS Troop leader too and I know how difficult it can be to schedule meetings.  Why can't her DH move their practice night?  He has to know what night GS is....

He may not have had a choice, I know for Soccer we were told what day practices were on and what day games were on by the association because that is when they had the field. 

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #21184 on: May 22, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »

He may not have had a choice, I know for Soccer we were told what day practices were on and what day games were on by the association because that is when they had the field.

Interesting...when DD played soccer, our practices were held at a local park/green space.  So we were able to pick our night(s).

I guess each association is different.
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

deadbody

« Reply #21185 on: May 22, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »

Interesting...when DD played soccer, our practices were held at a local park/green space.  So we were able to pick our night(s).

I guess each association is different.

I live in a town with not a ton of park space and a lot of kids, so the evening field usage is really scheduled out.

norrina

« Reply #21186 on: May 22, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
I had one that I think crossed the line to SS territory, and another that came pretty close, at my future stepson's middle school band/strings concert last night. For some background, the concert was held in the school gym. All the bleachers along one wall were pulled out (and full to capacity with family and friends of the young musicians), and then shortly before the concert was to begin a set of bleachers was pulled out from the middle of the opposite wall and remained fairly empty. The band was set up between the two sides of bleachers. Not really relevant to the story, one portion of the strings orchestra arranged in a semi-circle so that half of those kids were facing the small set of bleachers (the rest of the group had their backs to the small set of bleachers) and presumably their parents would want to sit in the small set of bleachers.

The first SS was a mother with a young toddler, probably about 13-15 months old. Mom took her child to the very top row of the bleachers. After a very short period of time the child became discontent to remain quietly in mom's arms, and wanted to explore the bleachers. When mom restrained him, he became upset. Mom tried holding him a few different ways, and offering him a pacifier, but he was not particularly consoled. Because they were in the top row of the bleachers, and at the very center of the wall, the child's protests were projected out across the entire gym. While I could appreciate that his mother probably had another child playing an instrument that she wanted to stay for, the fussing was disrupting the entire concert. I couldn't help but notice that there was empty space by the front doors to the gym that would have been a safe place for her child to play a bit, which I suspected may have calmed him some, and would have been convenient for her to duck out briefly when he got fussy. Finally I saw a man sitting a few rows below her approach her during a break between the songs, and speak with her briefly. After he returned to his seat the mother (and her friend/adult daughter that was with her) gathered her belongings and left the gym in a bit of a huff.

The second potential SS was another mother, with an older toddler, probably 2 1/2. I was sitting in the top row of the middle set of big bleachers, and mom, dad, and the child were sitting immediately to my right. This child was fairly quiet though out most of the concert, but entertained himself by climbing everywhere, often ending up half in my lap (and over the backs of the people in front of us) in the process. Towards the end of the concert he got a little fussy, so mom picked him up and cuddled him. Then she began to rock him, swaying her entire upper body side to side. She'd sway to her right, and then on every sway back to the left she'd leeeean against me, then sway back to the right. I scooched as far to my left as I could, but as I mentioned the bleachers were crowded, so there wasn't far for me to go without leaning against my neighbor myself.

I can appreciate that bringing a young child to an hour-long sit-down-quietly event is going to be challenging, but I thought part of parenting was, when at all possible, removing your child from situations where they were disrupting other event-goers.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #21187 on: May 22, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I submit to ehell my best friend, as a special snowflake.

Today, I go to her house, she told me she needed help putting clothing away (she's just moved) and I find out she is fostering four tiny kittens (so cute!). Only one problem. The place she moved into is one of my landlord's places and on our (mine and my mom's) recommendation. I went home, told my mom, she came to best friend's house with me, and told me Landlord would have a stroke if he found out.

I very firmly told my friend she needed to call ShelterOrganizer or her mom (who works at the shelter constantly) to remove the cats immediately. Best friend didnt see what the deal was.

"The big deal is that I recommended you to him. I got you this apartment. If you mess this up, he might not trust us ever again!"

So I get a call later. saying that her mom was going to pick up the kittens. Good. Then she texts me (and here is where she gets even more snowflakey!) 'Do you think Landlord will mind if I keep one?' (for fostering)

My reply was a little harsh I will admit. But seriously... who does that?!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #21188 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
I love cats, too, but I love having a place to live MORE.  I donate to animal rescues and watch kitten cams.

Pen^2

« Reply #21189 on: May 22, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
I submit to ehell my best friend, as a special snowflake.

Today, I go to her house, she told me she needed help putting clothing away (she's just moved) and I find out she is fostering four tiny kittens (so cute!). Only one problem. The place she moved into is one of my landlord's places and on our (mine and my mom's) recommendation. I went home, told my mom, she came to best friend's house with me, and told me Landlord would have a stroke if he found out.

I very firmly told my friend she needed to call ShelterOrganizer or her mom (who works at the shelter constantly) to remove the cats immediately. Best friend didnt see what the deal was.

"The big deal is that I recommended you to him. I got you this apartment. If you mess this up, he might not trust us ever again!"

So I get a call later. saying that her mom was going to pick up the kittens. Good. Then she texts me (and here is where she gets even more snowflakey!) 'Do you think Landlord will mind if I keep one?' (for fostering)

My reply was a little harsh I will admit. But seriously... who does that?!

I like that you immediately saw the problem: it's not so much about the rule being broken as the fact that it was done in disregard to how it was going to badly affect you.

We had a cat at a no-cats place for a brief spell... We found her abandoned in a public rubbish bin, the shelter had no room, and the RSPCA explained that they would have had to put her down. So we ended up with a forbidden cat in our place for three weeks until we moved out (we were planning on moving anyway). We cleaned fastidiously and no-one ever found out. No harm done, although I wouldn't recommend it to other people since it was still the wrong thing to do.

But to have done so knowing it would affect someone's standing with another person... big huge no. Absolutely not. It's on my head or no-one's, thank you. What kind of SS can't understand that?  :P

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #21190 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03:18 AM »
I am officially nominating my new next door neighbors. I live in an apartment, so it's hardly soundproof, but this is just getting ridiculous. The only thing preserving any shred of my sanity is the fact that we share a living room wall. If it were the bedroom, I'm pretty sure heads would roll right about now.

Sunday night, they started blasting bass-thumping music at probably 9, and hadn't quit by the time I went to bed. When I got up at 5 in the morning to go to the gym, they still had it turned way up. It sounded like they were having a party (complete with lots of people).

Last night, they did the same thing, only apparently they decided to go to bed early because it was quiet when I got up at 5. My husband was feeling a bit under the weather, though, and slept on the couch, so their music kept him up for awhile.

So far tonight, same deal.

I live in an area with a lot of undergraduate students, and have had more than one neighbor who was obviously a student. Given that, and the nature of apartments, I'm generally pretty tolerant of loud music if it's not completely ridiculous and it's not on a weeknight. I'd really like to just knock on the door and tell them to turn it down, but I'm not sure it would do anything useful and I suspect they wouldn't take kindly to it. I just hope they move out soon.
I think these people used to live under me! Except he wasn't a student. I had to call the police late one night when the music and yelling and partying went on to all hours. He only lived there for maybe 5 or 6 weeks when he was evicted. He went along wtih the evection without fighting it, because he was 60 years old and his girlfriend was 22 and he didn't want to have to tell her to turn her music down.

I could never decide if I thought he had his priorities in order or not.

I had some downstairs neighbors like that. If it was a weekend, I'd give them a pass. The first 3 times it happened on a weeknight, I went and knocked and asked them to turn it down myself. After that, I just called the police non-emergency number on them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

secretrebel

« Reply #21191 on: May 23, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »
We had a cat at a no-cats place for a brief spell... We found her abandoned in a public rubbish bin, the shelter had no room, and the RSPCA explained that they would have had to put her down. So we ended up with a forbidden cat in our place for three weeks until we moved out (we were planning on moving anyway). We cleaned fastidiously and no-one ever found out. No harm done, although I wouldn't recommend it to other people since it was still the wrong thing to do.

But to have done so knowing it would affect someone's standing with another person... big huge no. Absolutely not. It's on my head or no-one's, thank you. What kind of SS can't understand that?  :P

Someone who thinks it would be better for the cat to live even if it does cause the landlord not to accept future recommendations from their acquaintance. It might not be your choice but I don't think it's fair to characterise it as a special snowflake choice.

This is part of the problem with giving personal recommendations. You think you know someone well enough to say they'd be a good tenant but you just don't know how they'd react in a variety of letting situations.

Hillia

« Reply #21192 on: May 23, 2013, 08:29:32 AM »
The problem is not that the landlord won't accept future recommendations from the acquaintance.  The problem is that the acquaintance is now viewed as being as unreliable as the person who broke the lease in the first place.  This is a very big deal, and the fact that she wouldn't accept that is a big part of what pushes her into SS territory.

There are many ways to assist animals in need that don't involve breaking a lease.  I don't get the feeling that this person was all that interested in animal rescue to start with - it was a spur of the moment decision.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #21193 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
I will say that, unless I have been told otherwise, I assume that anyone likely to be awakened by a text in the night will have their phone on silent, or turned off, or otherwise set up so as not to interrupt sleep. Texts are often my "can wait until later/convenient" method of starting a conversation.

Once told that doesn't work for the recipient, however, I will do my honest best to refrain from texting them in the night again.

So if they do it again, having been informed that doesn't work for you, then they're definitely SS. First offense, though, not so much.

Cell phones are used as emergency contacts by a lot of people. I know at least 3 people who have me as their ICE contact so I don't turn off my phone or the ringer unless I am in a theater or similar space. I am sure I am not the only person who thinks so.

If I wouldn't call at a certain time, I won't text either, as a general rule of thumb. For non immediate communication, I use email.

Alias

« Reply #21194 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »
I have one I'd nearly forgotten that happened one winter a few years ago.
I was on my way home from work at lunch time, I must have been on a half day.  The weather was bad (snow and ice, not much but this country is not equiped to deal with snow at all, and all cars come with 'summer' tyres as standard).  I was stopped at a light on a hill.  I had given slightly more room to the car in front of me than I normally would, based on it being icy, a hill, and most drivers have manual shift cars.  Basically, I didn't want to get hit.  I glanced in my rear view mirror to find the woman behind me was beeping and gesturing wildly that I should move forward so she could get into the turn lane.  I decided not to, as I'd have to move a good bit forward for her to fit beside me.  I shook my head at her.  She got very agitated. I stayed put.  She got OUT OF HER CAR, came up beside me and gestured for me to roll my window down. I did (stupid, but I thought maybe someone was hurt at this stage!), and she just yelled at me to move forward. I ignored her and rolled my window back up, at which point the light changed and she had to run back to her car. 

I never did figure out what was so important that she needed to get out of her car and yell at me because I made her wait a whole minute or two for the light to change.