Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5759367 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21255 on: May 25, 2013, 05:43:54 PM »
I actually always was told that Ted Bundy actually did seem like he was a nice guy - that was part of his MO.
I'm sure it was. But one would think that a psychic might be able to see through a persona.  ::)
I mean, what good are psychic powers, if they don't help you spot the occasional serial murderer? I'd settle for not knowing the distant future, if powers would give me a good 30 second warning on SS's on the roadway.  >:D

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #21256 on: May 25, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
My very self-centered friend “Paula” is in the hospital for observation.  I called to see if she wanted visitors, and she promptly gave me a list of a dozen things she wanted me to bring.  She wanted some craft supplies that I have at home. She wanted fruit (several kinds) and popcorn (a special brand) – so a trip to the grocery store.  She wanted specific buttons – so a trip to the fabric store.  She wanted her favorite Chinese food – so a trip to the restaurant.

I called her from the fabric store to make sure I got the right buttons.  She wanted four different buttons at around $3 per package.

I lugged about 20 pounds of stuff up to her room.  When I got there, she seemed to be having the time of her life.  She was sitting up, working on crafts.  She had hundreds of buttons already.  Some of the ones I bought were not quite what she wanted, but instead of giving them back to me to return, she dumped them into her large collection.  She was surrounded by stuff that she must have asked other people to bring.

She was upset that she’d forgotten to ask for several things.  She didn’t offer to reimburse me.

I was there for about 45 minutes, during which time she paged a nurse three times.  She is obviously running the nurses ragged.  I brought some earrings she’d previously asked me to make for her.  Turns out that although she has pierced ears, she hasn’t worn earrings in years and couldn’t get them in.  So she paged a nurse to put the earrings on her.  I was glad she didn’t ask me.  She may have an infection, and she keeps trying to get me to eat and drink after her. 

I’m not sure I’ll be visiting again.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Hillia

« Reply #21257 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »
I'm surprised she's allowed to have all the outside food brought in if they're trying to figure out what's wrong with her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21258 on: May 25, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
I'm surprised she's allowed to have all the outside food brought in if they're trying to figure out what's wrong with her.

And I'm surprised that Paula has any friends!  ???

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #21259 on: May 25, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
Good point.  She complained that the hospital wasn't serving fruit.  Maybe she isn't supposed to have fruit.  The popcorn and Chinese food were salty.  It's quite possible she's on a low-salt diet.  I hope I didn't do any damage.

gramma dishes, Paula doesn't so much have friends as she has enablers.  It looks like I was one of them this time.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21260 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »
A woman and her maybe 4 year old son yesterday at the complex pool.  There's no lifeguard on duty, but a hook-thing and a life preserver hanging on the fence.  There is a sign saying "This is not a toy-emergency use only".  DH and I were watching the kids swim when the little boy ran over and got the life preserver down.  DH called "Young man, that is not a toy, it has to stay on the wall".  The boy put it back and went over to his mother.  Mom shot us a filthy look and retrieved the life preserver  ::).  Neither of us wanted to get into it with her, but we did hang it back up after they left it on the pool deck  >:(.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #21261 on: May 25, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
Who does that!?!??!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21262 on: May 25, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »
I actually always was told that Ted Bundy actually did seem like he was a nice guy - that was part of his MO.
I'm sure it was. But one would think that a psychic might be able to see through a persona.  ::)
I mean, what good are psychic powers, if they don't help you spot the occasional serial murderer? I'd settle for not knowing the distant future, if powers would give me a good 30 second warning on SS's on the roadway.  >:D

Yes, you'd think that "abducts and murders women" should show up somewhere in a psychic reading.

On the other hand, there used to be two advice columnists in a local paper. One was a regular sort of agony aunt, and the other was a self-proclaimed psychic/astrologer. The funny thing about reading the two together was that when presented with the same sort of letter, the psychic usually gave the best advice. For example, they might, within a week or so, both get letters from someone asking if they should marry their abusive, cheating boyfriends, if the boyfriends promised to turn over a new leaf. The regular columnist seemed to be a sucker for these things, and would sigh about how everyone deserved a second chance in life, and no one was perfect, and the writer should learn how to trust and stop being so guarded about her heart. The psychic would respond "The vibrations are telling me he's playing you, and Jupiter and Mars say you should seek counselling."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21263 on: May 25, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »
She must be related to my exhusbands girlfriend.

B/G:My daughter, age 25,  lives with her dad, and her daughter spends weekdays with them, and Saturday afternoon and Sunday with me. Granddaughters dad is not in the picture at this time.

We were at a graduation party last weekend, and my granddaughter wanted to bring a stuffed giraffe outside. I told her no, as a stuffed animal is not an outside toy. Ex's GF brought granddaughter inside, and brought her out with the giraffe. Granddaughter wanted to go inside, and I said no, everyone is outside, you can stay outside too. Ex's GF says, I can bring her inside for a while. I said no, she does not need to go inside.

I asked my daughter if G/F undermines her like that, and she said she does. Looks like I am going to have to up the firm spine quotient when I have granddaughter and the ex and his g/f are around.

doodlemor

« Reply #21264 on: May 25, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »
I was at a crowded DMV (gov't office where you get your driver's license) right after graduating from college and sat in the waiting room beside a sharply-dressed man who kept complaining loudly about the wait. He started telling me that he thought the numbers system was messed up and that his number should have been called already. I admit I don't know that this wasn't true, but by all the signs everything was proceeding normally, and it galled me to see this obviously rich guy who thought *he* shouldn't have to wait, while everyone else around him was waiting patiently. I usually have a fairly tight verbal filter but it was not in place for some reason. "You're not very used to waiting, are you?" popped out of my mouth. He just looked at me.

It's possible I was the rude one in this encounter but I don't regret it! Especially because I'm pretty sure my assessment was right.

How do I know? When my number was called before his, he immediately offered me twenty bucks to switch. I didn't even turn around to respond.

Evil doodlemor might have said.......Make that $50.

On second thought, maybe you should have asked for $100.  I wonder how much he would have offered if you started bargaining as you slowly walked away.

I wonder if he paid the next person for their place.

I think that your comment was entirely appropriate.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #21265 on: May 26, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »

B/G:My daughter, age 25,  lives with her dad, and her daughter spends weekdays with them, and Saturday afternoon and Sunday with me. Granddaughters dad is not in the picture at this time.

We were at a graduation party last weekend, and my granddaughter wanted to bring a stuffed giraffe outside. I told her no, as a stuffed animal is not an outside toy. Ex's GF brought granddaughter inside, and brought her out with the giraffe. Granddaughter wanted to go inside, and I said no, everyone is outside, you can stay outside too. Ex's GF says, I can bring her inside for a while. I said no, she does not need to go inside.

I asked my daughter if G/F undermines her like that, and she said she does. Looks like I am going to have to up the firm spine quotient when I have granddaughter and the ex and his g/f are around.

Whose house was it?  You said you were at a party but not at whose house.  If it was your house, your rules; their house, their rules; daughter's house, her rules.  Strangers house?  Whoever technically has custody of granddaughter at that moment (as in, if you have visiting rights and technically she is under your charge, they're your rules).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21266 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:20 PM »
Nothing against people who believe in reincarnation, but why is it that people always say they were beautiful or important in their previous life? For all we know they could have been a night soil collector or an undertaker or a garbage man.

The PIC (partner in crime) keeps making the same comments. Everyone is always "someone". No-one is ever the slave or farmer, or serf, or peon, or something non-big.

Except George Patton. He believed he had been the third spear carrier from the left (or something like that) in one of his previous incarnations. And a military leader--but not the big cheese.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #21267 on: May 26, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »
I suspect that most people who believe they have lived before also believe they were ordinary folks in their precious lives.

It's just that those who think they were Cleopatra/Napoleon/Genghis Khan etc are the ones who get media attention.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21268 on: May 26, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »

Whose house was it?  You said you were at a party but not at whose house.  If it was your house, your rules; their house, their rules; daughter's house, her rules.  Strangers house?  Whoever technically has custody of granddaughter at that moment (as in, if you have visiting rights and technically she is under your charge, they're your rules).

Oooops, sorry about that, it was my BFF's house.

snowdragon

« Reply #21269 on: May 26, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »

Doesn't matter. The little girl was in the care of the OP. So her rules should be followed by the child. Other's have the right to say no - you can't do that with my stuff - but not to over ride what the care taker says "No" to. That undermines the authority of the caretaker, and confuses the child.