Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5539714 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21495 on: June 08, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
New neighbor -

Informed me that I needed to leave for work later because I was bothering her.

Now I assure you that I don't make unusual noise when I leave. Just shut up the house. I put my purse/computer bag/lunch bag on the passenger side, shut that door, and get in the driver side. My doors do go thump a bit but not more than any other car. Regular engine noise. Occasionally Popcorn will bark his head off - but he isn't my dog I can't do anything about him. (He belongs to the people behind me)

I told her that today was my last work day, summer vacation has started. I will be leaving early for workshops or to pick up Loren and Brett but that will be around 7 not 5.

One thing I worry about is that she will get it into her head she won, and flip out come 3rd week of August when I go back to work.

kherbert05,

I read your story and just shook my head in wonder.  Oh, I believe you, it's not that.  I shook my head because I just cannot understand the thinking of someone like your new neighbor.  Obviously, she expects you to reorganize your work day for her benefit... where does she come from, thinking that that is reasonable?  Why should you do that?

OK, I know, this is the snowflake thread, and it is about other people who think they are so special that the world should revolve around them.

But where do you suppose that thinking comes from?  (Just curious to know if there are theories about causes.)

Thank you.

SnappyLT
:o Is she an older lady, lives alone?  Did she have 7 moving trucks of furniture, including 12 dressers?  If so, you have run afoul of Dresser Queen!  Prepare for her to steal all your parking places, turn up her nose at home-baked bread and garden vegetables, and destroy your menorah!

Darn it...you beat me to it

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21496 on: June 08, 2013, 11:44:38 PM »
I was standing at my sample cart and I kept hearing "Excuse me. Excuse me. Excuse me. Excuse me" several feet behind me. Didn't know what was going on behind me and wasn't concerned about it. I just thought it was a customer trying to get around other customers or something. Then a woman stepped up next to me and said in a snotty tone "EXCUSE ME." I turned in her direction. She said in a demanding tone "Could you just...! Could you just...!" I noticed a girl that looked like a store employee come around the corner and I turned my head for a split second because I thought it was someone who could deal with her. SS huffed "Never mind! Never mind, just forget it!" and stomped off. I called out to her and she said "No! Just forget it!" I'm hoping I don't get an email from my boss later saying "SS called the corporate office and said you were super mean. Please explain" ::)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:46:38 PM by TeamBhakta »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21497 on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:59 AM »

kherbert05,

I read your story and just shook my head in wonder.  Oh, I believe you, it's not that.  I shook my head because I just cannot understand the thinking of someone like your new neighbor.  Obviously, she expects you to reorganize your work day for her benefit... where does she come from, thinking that that is reasonable?  Why should you do that?

OK, I know, this is the snowflake thread, and it is about other people who think they are so special that the world should revolve around them.

But where do you suppose that thinking comes from?  (Just curious to know if there are theories about causes.)

Thank you.

SnappyLT

There are something weird going on with how sound bounces around between our houses. The previous owners jolted me out of a sound sleep more than once. I honestly thought they were slamming the car doors as loud a possible. Happened to be in the front room a couple of times when they came and went and realized it they were acting normally. For some reason it echos louder in the back of my house.  I needed a fan in my room anyways and that masked the noise.

I'm hoping she was jolted out of sleep and was reacting with a not quite awake brain. Then maybe we can talk about the acoustics between our houses and solve the problem. 

When I worked in Civil Engineering, there were guidelines on reducing sound that involved planting shrubs or trees between the house and the source of the sound (in the case of my job, the runway where planes were taking off and landing).  Is there any room for shrubs of any kind?  Even a line of three foot tall flowers on stalks might help.....some types of fencing might help, but I don't recall the guidelines for that.

Heavy drapes on her window might or might not help - drapes across the entire wall might help more....but the cost goes up AND it impacts how you can arrange the furniture in the bedroom.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21498 on: June 09, 2013, 05:04:18 AM »

When I worked in Civil Engineering, there were guidelines on reducing sound that involved planting shrubs or trees between the house and the source of the sound (in the case of my job, the runway where planes were taking off and landing).  Is there any room for shrubs of any kind?  Even a line of three foot tall flowers on stalks might help.....some types of fencing might help, but I don't recall the guidelines for that.

Heavy drapes on her window might or might not help - drapes across the entire wall might help more....but the cost goes up AND it impacts how you can arrange the furniture in the bedroom.....
I'll mention that if I can get her to talk. BTW did you ever know Roger Allen - There is an article about him and the San Angelo Chicken Farm in the Chronicle today.  http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Friends-turn-old-San-Angelo-chicken-plant-into-4589205.php
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21499 on: June 09, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »

I'll mention that if I can get her to talk. BTW did you ever know Roger Allen - There is an article about him and the San Angelo Chicken Farm in the Chronicle today.  http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Friends-turn-old-San-Angelo-chicken-plant-into-4589205.php

No, I moved to town on the Lake View side in high school.  It would have been late 1972.....I knew where it was but never had the money to shop there....while we were living in town.  When we've had money for art, we were living & shopping elsewhere.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21500 on: June 09, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »

Hey, he was my teacher!  I really enjoyed his craft classes.  I also worked with him on a production of the San Angelo Civic Theater. (Barefoot in the Park, IIRC.) Nice to see that he's still around.  Is there any way to see the full article without subscribing?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21501 on: June 09, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »
This guy.

(WARNING: more NSFW than I'd normally post here, but it's too awesome a comeuppance not to share!)

Short version: guy solicits a woman by text message and sends a nude picture of himself because he thinks she'll totally appreciate that.  She discovers him on Facebook and sends the entire conversation, including the nude photo and his incredibly sexist rationale, to his mother.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21502 on: June 09, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »

kherbert05,

Thank you.

SnappyLT

There are something weird going on with how sound bounces around between our houses. The previous owners jolted me out of a sound sleep more than once. I honestly thought they were slamming the car doors as loud a possible. Happened to be in the front room a couple of times when they came and went and realized it they were acting normally. For some reason it echos louder in the back of my house.  I needed a fan in my room anyways and that masked the noise.

I'm hoping she was jolted out of sleep and was reacting with a not quite awake brain. Then maybe we can talk about the acoustics between our houses and solve the problem.

Maybe you can plant some tall, leafy bushes along the side of your house this summer.

Hillia

« Reply #21503 on: June 09, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
This guy.

(WARNING: more NSFW than I'd normally post here, but it's too awesome a comeuppance not to share!)

Short version: guy solicits a woman by text message and sends a nude picture of himself because he thinks she'll totally appreciate that.  She discovers him on Facebook and sends the entire conversation, including the nude photo and his incredibly sexist rationale, to his mother.

My  new hero.

I love how any woman who isn't thrilled to see unsolicited pictures of male anatomy is automatically a prude.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Iris

« Reply #21504 on: June 09, 2013, 11:42:29 PM »
This guy.

My  new hero.

I love how any woman who isn't thrilled to see unsolicited pictures of male anatomy is automatically a prude.

No wonder HE'S single is more like it... Somehow I managed to find someone I love and be married (like that's every woman's goal anyway  ::)) without having to subject myself to sexual harassment.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Otterpop

« Reply #21505 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »
I nominate this woman and her husband.

http://notalwaysworking.com/water-you-brainless-part-2/30357

I wouldn't call them special snowflakes, but I would definitely say they have a skewed sense of priorities.

I consider anybody who leaves their biological waste in the manager's office but asks for free movie tickets a SS.
And was the woman an hour from giving birth supposed to ask for a mop and clean it up?  Although I think that asking for a refund IS being a little too much.

Two movie tickets at $12-15, or $30 for nothing would prompt me to ask for a refund also.   If the movie was a blockbuster, I'd certainly want to see it at a later time.  As for her water bursting, the manager was delaying their departure by asking for proof.  Perhaps if he'd just given them their money back they would have been in the parking lot or car before that happened.  Also, theater custodians are prepared to clean up grossest messes.  They don't like it, but it's sometimes unavoidable and part of the job.  (I've seen a guy at Target rush in with a mop and bucket after one ladies water burst - saw her water burst too!  Yuck, but what could she do?  Hold it in?)  I'd totally give them a pass on this one.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21506 on: June 10, 2013, 01:23:46 AM »

Maybe you can plant some tall, leafy bushes along the side of your house this summer.
Actually we are across the street from each other. But we had a conversation. It turned out well

Neighbor - Um Did I storm over here and yell at you a couple of days ago

Me - yes

Neighbor Sorry about that - sometimes if I'm jolted awake I don't fully wake up and I sort of sleep walk. I wasn't sure if I had or if I had just had a dream I did.

Me- Laughing we might be related (I have a long history of bizarre conversations after being started out of sleep. At least one time involved me leaving the house coming back and not realizing it till a neighbor said something.)

Further conversation revealed she thought I was playing very loud music before I left. That is a different car and they leave a couple minutes before me. She is going try a fan or white noise machine.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

perpetua

« Reply #21507 on: June 10, 2013, 02:52:00 AM »
I nominate this woman and her husband.

http://notalwaysworking.com/water-you-brainless-part-2/30357

I wouldn't call them special snowflakes, but I would definitely say they have a skewed sense of priorities.

I consider anybody who leaves their biological waste in the manager's office but asks for free movie tickets a SS.
And was the woman an hour from giving birth supposed to ask for a mop and clean it up?  Although I think that asking for a refund IS being a little too much.

Two movie tickets at $12-15, or $30 for nothing would prompt me to ask for a refund also.   If the movie was a blockbuster, I'd certainly want to see it at a later time.  As for her water bursting, the manager was delaying their departure by asking for proof.  Perhaps if he'd just given them their money back they would have been in the parking lot or car before that happened.  Also, theater custodians are prepared to clean up grossest messes.  They don't like it, but it's sometimes unavoidable and part of the job.  (I've seen a guy at Target rush in with a mop and bucket after one ladies water burst - saw her water burst too!  Yuck, but what could she do?  Hold it in?)  I'd totally give them a pass on this one.

Why on *earth* should they get a refund? There was nothing wrong with the movie, they didn't have a bad experience at the cinema, the movie wasn't cancelled, they left of their own accord (reason doesn't matter). By asking for a refund they are the specialest of special snowflakes.

Redsoil

« Reply #21508 on: June 10, 2013, 03:25:17 AM »
I'm with Perpetua on this one.  If you go to the movies at close to term in a pregnancy, that's your decision.  If you have to leave to go to the hospital, it's not the theatre's fault.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #21509 on: June 10, 2013, 05:39:49 AM »
They should get a refund because it's just good business.

Sure, it wasn't the theatre's fault that they didn't get to see the movie, but it's not their fault either; delivery isn't scheduled down to the minute unless you're having a planned induction or C-section in hospital, and there's a margin of literally weeks on either side of a woman's estimated due date where she could end up giving birth. Braxton-Hicks contractions (which are basically your uterus lifting weights in preparation for the Real Thing) are hard to tell from actual labour starting, so you can be well on the way to having your baby before you realise that it's actually happening... like my sister, who was in first-stage labour for over 24 hours, got told it wasn't time yet, and ended up giving birth to her second child in the bath when the ambulance didn't get there in time to take her back to hospital once it was obviously time. It's not reasonable to expect a pregnant woman to restrict her activities to stuff that can be broken off in a hurry without financial penalty as her due date approaches. I say this counts as circumstances beyond their control.

If the manager had given them a refund - even the partial refund they were asking for, not a full one - without an argument and waved them out the door while wishing them luck and congratulating them on the imminent arrival, they would have ended up with a good story to tell that showed the theatre in a positive light. They would have gone back, to see different movies if not the one they'd had to leave. Now? That's "the theatre with the jerk manager who kept us talking until [child] was nearly born on their floor". They've still got a good story to tell, but it's not positive; they're more likely to go elsewhere when they want to see another movie, and they might influence their friends and family away from there too.
"Set aphasia to stun!"