Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5082416 times)

perpetua

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21510 on: June 10, 2013, 02:52:00 AM »
I nominate this woman and her husband.

http://notalwaysworking.com/water-you-brainless-part-2/30357

I wouldn't call them special snowflakes, but I would definitely say they have a skewed sense of priorities.

I consider anybody who leaves their biological waste in the manager's office but asks for free movie tickets a SS.
And was the woman an hour from giving birth supposed to ask for a mop and clean it up?  Although I think that asking for a refund IS being a little too much.

Two movie tickets at $12-15, or $30 for nothing would prompt me to ask for a refund also.   If the movie was a blockbuster, I'd certainly want to see it at a later time.  As for her water bursting, the manager was delaying their departure by asking for proof.  Perhaps if he'd just given them their money back they would have been in the parking lot or car before that happened.  Also, theater custodians are prepared to clean up grossest messes.  They don't like it, but it's sometimes unavoidable and part of the job.  (I've seen a guy at Target rush in with a mop and bucket after one ladies water burst - saw her water burst too!  Yuck, but what could she do?  Hold it in?)  I'd totally give them a pass on this one.

Why on *earth* should they get a refund? There was nothing wrong with the movie, they didn't have a bad experience at the cinema, the movie wasn't cancelled, they left of their own accord (reason doesn't matter). By asking for a refund they are the specialest of special snowflakes.

Redsoil

« Reply #21511 on: June 10, 2013, 03:25:17 AM »
I'm with Perpetua on this one.  If you go to the movies at close to term in a pregnancy, that's your decision.  If you have to leave to go to the hospital, it's not the theatre's fault.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #21512 on: June 10, 2013, 05:39:49 AM »
They should get a refund because it's just good business.

Sure, it wasn't the theatre's fault that they didn't get to see the movie, but it's not their fault either; delivery isn't scheduled down to the minute unless you're having a planned induction or C-section in hospital, and there's a margin of literally weeks on either side of a woman's estimated due date where she could end up giving birth. Braxton-Hicks contractions (which are basically your uterus lifting weights in preparation for the Real Thing) are hard to tell from actual labour starting, so you can be well on the way to having your baby before you realise that it's actually happening... like my sister, who was in first-stage labour for over 24 hours, got told it wasn't time yet, and ended up giving birth to her second child in the bath when the ambulance didn't get there in time to take her back to hospital once it was obviously time. It's not reasonable to expect a pregnant woman to restrict her activities to stuff that can be broken off in a hurry without financial penalty as her due date approaches. I say this counts as circumstances beyond their control.

If the manager had given them a refund - even the partial refund they were asking for, not a full one - without an argument and waved them out the door while wishing them luck and congratulating them on the imminent arrival, they would have ended up with a good story to tell that showed the theatre in a positive light. They would have gone back, to see different movies if not the one they'd had to leave. Now? That's "the theatre with the jerk manager who kept us talking until [child] was nearly born on their floor". They've still got a good story to tell, but it's not positive; they're more likely to go elsewhere when they want to see another movie, and they might influence their friends and family away from there too.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

perpetua

« Reply #21513 on: June 10, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »
I disagree. She was nine months pregnant - she knew that baby could come at any minute. She took a chance and lost, then left biological waste all over the floor for some poor kid probably on minimum wage to clean up, to boot. Selfish, irresponsible and entitled to dare to ask for a refund. If I was the manager not only would I be not giving them a refund, but banning them from the cinema.

Sometimes "the customer is always right" goes too far. This is one of those occasions.

nayberry

« Reply #21514 on: June 10, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »
I nominate this woman and her husband.

http://notalwaysworking.com/water-you-brainless-part-2/30357

I wouldn't call them special snowflakes, but I would definitely say they have a skewed sense of priorities.

I consider anybody who leaves their biological waste in the manager's office but asks for free movie tickets a SS.
And was the woman an hour from giving birth supposed to ask for a mop and clean it up?  Although I think that asking for a refund IS being a little too much.

Two movie tickets at $12-15, or $30 for nothing would prompt me to ask for a refund also.   If the movie was a blockbuster, I'd certainly want to see it at a later time.  As for her water bursting, the manager was delaying their departure by asking for proof.  Perhaps if he'd just given them their money back they would have been in the parking lot or car before that happened.  Also, theater custodians are prepared to clean up grossest messes.  They don't like it, but it's sometimes unavoidable and part of the job.  (I've seen a guy at Target rush in with a mop and bucket after one ladies water burst - saw her water burst too!  Yuck, but what could she do?  Hold it in?)  I'd totally give them a pass on this one.

Why on *earth* should they get a refund? There was nothing wrong with the movie, they didn't have a bad experience at the cinema, the movie wasn't cancelled, they left of their own accord (reason doesn't matter). By asking for a refund they are the specialest of special snowflakes.

I disagree. She was nine months pregnant - she knew that baby could come at any minute. She took a chance and lost, then left biological waste all over the floor for some poor kid probably on minimum wage to clean up, to boot. Selfish, irresponsible and entitled to dare to ask for a refund. If I was the manager not only would I be not giving them a refund, but banning them from the cinema.

Sometimes "the customer is always right" goes too far. This is one of those occasions.

oh thank goodness others agree,  it wouldn't even occur to me to go the to cinema when 9 months pregnant, and i certainly wouldn't expect a refund if i went into labour.

Carotte

« Reply #21515 on: June 10, 2013, 07:13:40 AM »
Let's not forget here that we are amongst people from all over the world, even if they sound like your next door neighbour sometimes. So something that seems completely normal for someone in country/state/city A may have you sound like an extraterrestrial being in country/state/city B.

So there might be 50% of movie theaters that will refund your ticket for any reason (I've heard some refund you if you don't like it, personally I find it preposterous, that's on you if you didn't make your research before seeing it, but hey, they're the one who decide.) and 50% who will laugh you out, you just happen to live near one or the other, doesn't make the couple in the story SS if everyone before them got a refund for a paper cut.

As for the biological waste, movie theater, grocery store, the bank.. it could have happenend anywhere. Pregnant women, even those that should have gone into labour 3 days ago shouldn't have to be restrained to their bed just on the oft chance that they break water in a public place. Stuff happens, nosebleed, throwing up from being sick, stuff from the other end, it happens, and for a broken water/labor, you have other things in mind than asking for a mop to spare the people it's the job of.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #21516 on: June 10, 2013, 07:16:42 AM »
I don't think they were SS. They did not demand, they asked. If he said no and they argued then thats SS.
As far as the "biological waste" goes I don't really see it as relevant, other than as funny with the timing. She is in no way to blame.

Waters are a fickle beast and you literally have no control over them. They can go with no contractions at all and they can stay intact until after the baby is born. so implying she is a SS for them going and some one having to clean them up is a bit unfair YMMV.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

blueberry.muffin

« Reply #21517 on: June 10, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »
Oh good grief.

Women do NOT have ANY control over when they go into labor (unless they are being induced or scheduled C-section, which is quite different.)

Women do NOT have ANY control over the breakage of their placenta, which causes the leakage of fluids. It is entirely an internal process activated by factors outside voluntary control.

Anyone who subsequently believes a woman has even the slightest control over either of the above and is implicating that said woman, WHILE IN LABOR, should clean it up, is exhibiting quite special snowflake behavior and should seriously reconsider their opinion.

Unless, of course, they also think that people having seizures who lose control of their bowels should clean it up, while actively seizing. Or people who are suffering from an acute stroke or normal pressure hydrocephalus should be asked to clean up the urine they spilled.

Or are those emergencies somehow ok?

In all seriousness, the implications of the argument against this are frightening. We're better than this.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21518 on: June 10, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »
The vast majority of women will not have their water break until they are at the hospital. I had all 3 of my kids water break at the hospital, and considering my last labor was less than 2 hours long, from start to finish, I would consider the lady in the theater an odd ball.

I was at the movies a few days before my middle was due, and would have never thought not to go because I was close to my due date.

I don't think the couple was wrong in asking for a partial refund, I do however, think the manager was being an SS for his attitude. He could have simply said yes or no.

If they had been denied the refund, and then gotten angry, that would have made them the SSs, but not because they asked.

perpetua

« Reply #21519 on: June 10, 2013, 09:23:23 AM »
Oh good grief.

Women do NOT have ANY control over when they go into labor (unless they are being induced or scheduled C-section, which is quite different.)

Women do NOT have ANY control over the breakage of their placenta, which causes the leakage of fluids. It is entirely an internal process activated by factors outside voluntary control.

Anyone who subsequently believes a woman has even the slightest control over either of the above and is implicating that said woman, WHILE IN LABOR, should clean it up, is exhibiting quite special snowflake behavior and should seriously reconsider their opinion.

Unless, of course, they also think that people having seizures who lose control of their bowels should clean it up, while actively seizing. Or people who are suffering from an acute stroke or normal pressure hydrocephalus should be asked to clean up the urine they spilled.

In all seriousness, the implications of the argument against this are frightening. We're better than this.

I dont think anyone said that the woman had any control over it, rather that asking for a refund after that had just happened all over the cinema floor was SS behaviour.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #21520 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
Oh good grief.

I dont think anyone said that the woman had any control over it, rather that asking for a refund after that had just happened all over the cinema floor was SS behaviour.

But it didn't happen all over the cinema floor, then they asked for a refund.

They asked for a refund, and then while they manager was grilling them, it happened; had they asked and received a refund, or been refused, without the drawn out proof questions, they may have been safely in their car before it happened.

I don't see anything SS about asking (as long as they were willing to accept a 'no'). I also don't see anything SS about a manager saying no, unless they had a refund for any reason policy. The SS part would be the managers attitude, although with that site, I don't hold much hope that we get the full story or nuances of delivery and body language, so even then, it may have not been SS (although 'proof' of labor does sound it).

perpetua

« Reply #21521 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
We will have to agree to disagree. Had they just got up and left as they should have done in that situation, they also would have been in the car, or at least out of the building, before it happened. Because they stopped to ask for a refund for something that was in *no way* the cinema's fault, some poor minimum wage kid was probably stuck having to clear up the mess.

Refunds should be reserved for occasions when there is something wrong with the merchandise. 

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #21522 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:19 AM »
I think it was SS of them to ask for a refund. I don't agree that 9 months pregnant women shouldn't go to movies, but they should go with the awareness that labor could happen at any moment. IMO, it's only reasonable to request a refund if missing the movie was the theater's fault in some way. If I had to leave a movie because I became ill, received an emergency call, or some other circumstance far less predictable than going into labor at 9 months pregnant, it would never occur to me that I was entitled to a refund.

Also, for those saying they weren't rude to ask as long as they accepted no for an answer, it seems to me that the manager's reluctance was a pretty clear "no." When he didn't immediately seem inclined to grant the refund, they should have let it go.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #21523 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I think it was SS of them to ask for a refund. I don't agree that 9 months pregnant women shouldn't go to movies, but they should go with the awareness that labor could happen at any moment. IMO, it's only reasonable to request a refund if missing the movie was the theater's fault in some way. If I had to leave a movie because I became ill, received an emergency call, or some other circumstance far less predictable than going into labor at 9 months pregnant, it would never occur to me that I was entitled to a refund.

Also, for those saying they weren't rude to ask as long as they accepted no for an answer, it seems to me that the manager's reluctance was a pretty clear "no." When he didn't immediately seem inclined to grant the refund, they should have let it go.

While I would never personally request a refund if missing the movie was my fault, I don't think it’s SS to do so—especially in certain areas where it is expected. If not a refund, at least vouchers for a different movie. I think many movie theaters—particularly chains—expect it (according to friends who have worked at theaters). And yes, the managers reluctance is a good indication of no, but I can also imagine a situation where the manager was on a script and says "we need proof to provide a refund," not internalizing how silly of a question it was in this instance; particularly after a long day and when the underling didn't give much explanation to the manager, and the manager started his script before asking why they want a refund. We just don't have enough info from the Not Always Right short format.

BusyBee

« Reply #21524 on: June 10, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
If I had to leave a movie because I became ill, received an emergency call, or some other circumstance far less predictable than going into labor at 9 months pregnant, it would never occur to me that I was entitled to a refund.

I would be furious if my husband was looking for a refund while I was in labor.  Under any such situation, I would be shocked that someone would rather wait for the manager than rush to the hospital.  I think it is SS to expect others treat you like an emergency, but not have the same urgency yourself.