I just posted this in a thread about microwave popcorn, but I think it also belongs here.
he offices of an Important Elected Official were temporarily relocated to one of the upper floors of the office building where I worked. Not long after, the fire alarm went off. We dutifully left the building until the Fire Dept. sounded the All Clear. The building manager later told me what happened. Yep. Burnt popcorn in one of those offices. However, what really did not amuse the Fire Dept. was that the staff had decided that they were Too Special to have to abide by the "no smoking anywhere in this building" rule. So they had taped plastic bags over the smoke detectors, just in case they were sensitive enough to catch cigarette smoke.