Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5418507 times)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21765 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:38 AM »
http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1029034/396/Police-seek-person-in-video-taking-planter-from-Stillwater-business

A woman was caught stealing planters from a local business. A nearby church also reported some of its potted plants (and all the iron hanging hooks) stolen too. And another church is having all their garden plants (petunias and roses) dug up straight from their memorial garden; the thieves just leave big holes behind.

Redsoil

« Reply #21766 on: June 19, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
See, I tend to think that a pop-up sprinkler system with motion sensors could be useful in cases like these, where peple steal fruit and plants etc.  I wonder if there's a way to put a very vivid dye that won't wash off in the water supplying the sprinklers (maybe in the pipeline)?  That'd serve 'em right and identify the thief to all and sundry!  (And yes, I understand the potential for it to go horribly wrong, but it's a nice thought, anyway.)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

NyaChan

« Reply #21767 on: June 19, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »
NyaChan I think you might have posted in the wrong thread ;). FirstYear just seems like a case of PD waiting to happen.

I don't know what PD means and it's the second time today I've seen those initials.   :-\

Professional Darwinism from the thread with the name. :)

I actually waffled between Moochers/Scammers & the PD thread, but then I figured that at the root of all this behavior was a stubborn SS :)  So I came here.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21768 on: June 19, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21769 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
There was a time when someone caught stealing fruit from a person's trees would be greeted by a shotgun, or at the very least a few hungry dogs.

It's interesting that, as the lethality of getting caught stealing has diminished, so has the concept of respecting others' property.

I would actually argue, rather, that as the lethality of getting caught stealing has diminished, the number of still-living thieves has increased because, you know, they're not being killed now.

MrTango

« Reply #21770 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
There was a time when someone caught stealing fruit from a person's trees would be greeted by a shotgun, or at the very least a few hungry dogs.

It's interesting that, as the lethality of getting caught stealing has diminished, so has the concept of respecting others' property.

I would actually argue, rather, that as the lethality of getting caught stealing has diminished, the number of still-living thieves has increased because, you know, they're not being killed now.

Interestingly enough, I mentioned this thread to LadyTango last night, and this is exactly what she pointed out.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21771 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
Death: He Melvin'd me.

Bogus!

As stupid as those movies are, I still say that's the kind of movie where Keanu Reeves shined.  He even had more than one expression!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21772 on: June 19, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »

Interestingly enough, I mentioned this thread to LadyTango last night, and this is exactly what she pointed out.

I remember seeing a story about an older man who went out to defend his avocado trees (front yard*) from a thief who was brazenly standing in the bed of his pickup and breaking off branches to get "free" fruit to make guacamole (dip) for his Super Bowl party.  Because an avocado was running a dollar or more EACH at the store.  The thief beat the old man up.

Apparently his defense at the trial was that avocados were too expensive and the old man should have been grateful that he was "cleaning the tree" before they started falling off and making a mess.....and shouldn't have tried to stop him.  I don't remember how the judge ruled.....my mind was completely befuddled by the thief's attitude...

*The man's house had been built on the site of a former orchard - most of the neighbors had cut down the trees in their front yard.  He sold them to raise a little extra money, being retired and on a set income.  The extra money did NOT cover his medical bills.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #21773 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:16 PM »
Well, apparently blowing bubbles makes me a dangerous person.  ;)  This is the story of a Special Snowflake who demanded I stop blowing bubbles because I was creating a traffic hazzard.

Little Knit loves blowing bubbles.  We live on a quiet suburban street.  It's not the very quietest street in the subdivision (it's one of the main subdivision streets), but it is "street hockey" quiet, meaning that several of the neighbour kids play street hockey safely.

So the other day, we were waiting for Mr Knit to come home.  He was late getting in.  It was getting close to 7pm.  So LK and I went outside to blow bubbles and enjoy the evening and wait outside.  It was quite breezy.  This meant the bubbles were being lifted up and carried over rooftops.  You could see them floating down the street for ages.  This was delighting Little Knit to the point of shrieky toddler giggles and much hand clapping.

All of a sudden a big SUV slows down, the passenger window rolls down, and the guy yells at me to stop blowing bubbles onto the road! (I'm about 4 yards in from the road, actually, sitting up on our porch.
I wasn't sure I heard him right, so I stopped and said "Huh??" with a confused look.
"Don't be a +++++!  Just don't blow bubbles onto the road!  It distracts drivers and creates a hazzard!"
"I'm sorry, what??!!"  I was totally baffled and caught off guard.
He squealed his tires as he sped off.

I'm not sure how bubbles are more dangerous than birds, bunnies, cats, dogs, or the weather (rain or snow), but...  I plan on continuing to delight my daughter in the evening hours of the summer with bubbles while we wait for her daddy to come home.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21774 on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
Just the other day at a store, someone was blowing bubbles and some got on me.  I freaked thinking they were bugs before I saw what they were.  As for driving, maybe bubbles are no more distracting than bunnies or cats or birds, but they all can cause the same startled reaction when they appear out of nowhere.  Who has never slammed on the breaks for a runaway animal, or jolted for a second when rain or hail suddenly fall?  That said, I also know some people have no problem with the unexpected or out-of-context. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:17:29 PM by rose red »

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #21775 on: June 19, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
I was a Special Snowflake for the scolding post I made about off-topicity in this thread. (Cass was right.)

I'm sorry, my friends. That was rude. I should have followed Scritzy's Coke rule.

I'd like to explain, and an explanation is not an excuse, what it is that irritates me.

Bexx 27 said,
A thread is like a conversation. Someone posts a SS story and others discuss the story. Sometimes the discussion is about some other aspect of the story than the SSiness.
And she is quite right.

What irks me is... I'm going to invent an example.

A writes a story, of which the essential details are: "Back in the days when casts were plaster, I had one on my arm. My friends were writing on it. One of them wrote (something inappropriate and rude)! Was she a SS, or what!?!"

A few following posts commiserate with A, or tell stories about something similar. That's fine. They are part of the discussion.

But several posts like this appear: I had a cast, too, but mine was on my leg! - My uncle had one of those plaster casts! - My cousin is an orthopedist! - Casts these days are made of fiberglass!

What say you all? Aren't those kinds of posts off topic?

Sadly,
The embarassed Roo
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #21776 on: June 19, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
Just the other day at a store, someone was blowing bubbles and some got on me.  I freaked thinking they were bugs before I saw what they were.  As for driving, maybe bubbles are no more distracting than bunnies or cats or birds, but they all can cause the same startled reaction when they appear out of nowhere.  Who has never slammed on the breaks for a runaway animal, or jolted for a second when rain or hail suddenly fall?  That said, I also know some people have no problem with the unexpected or out-of-context.

Perhaps I ought to clarify.

It was nearly 7pm.  On a not-busy suburban side street.  Which was, as previously mentioned, street-hockey quiet.  Meaning that this is a side street where kids can and do safely play street hockey in the twilight hours of the summer days.

Also, even if I were blowing them in the backyard, it is likely some would have ended up on the street, as they were being carried up, up and away and all around the neighbourhood.

I still see his complaint as petty and snowflakish.  Bubbles are significantly less dangerous than a group of tweens playing street hockey. 

I can't help but wonder how he feels about the evils of sidewalk chalk.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #21777 on: June 19, 2013, 03:37:31 PM »
Death: He Melvin'd me.

Bogus!

As stupid as those movies are, I still say that's the kind of movie where Keanu Reeves shined.  He even had more than one expression!

I love all the movies I've seen him in, but I'd have to agree - his looks and expressions fit those roles so well!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #21778 on: June 19, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »

Perhaps I ought to clarify.

It was nearly 7pm.  On a not-busy suburban side street.  Which was, as previously mentioned, street-hockey quiet.  Meaning that this is a side street where kids can and do safely play street hockey in the twilight hours of the summer days.

Also, even if I were blowing them in the backyard, it is likely some would have ended up on the street, as they were being carried up, up and away and all around the neighbourhood.

I still see his complaint as petty and snowflakish.  Bubbles are significantly less dangerous than a group of tweens playing street hockey. 

I can't help but wonder how he feels about the evils of sidewalk chalk.

I have to agree with you, Knitterly, I think he was quite SS.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #21779 on: June 19, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »
I was a Special Snowflake for the scolding post I made about off-topicity in this thread. (Cass was right.)

I'm sorry, my friends. That was rude. I should have followed Scritzy's Coke rule.

I'd like to explain, and an explanation is not an excuse, what it is that irritates me.

Bexx 27 said,
A thread is like a conversation. Someone posts a SS story and others discuss the story. Sometimes the discussion is about some other aspect of the story than the SSiness.
And she is quite right.

What irks me is... I'm going to invent an example.

A writes a story, of which the essential details are: "Back in the days when casts were plaster, I had one on my arm. My friends were writing on it. One of them wrote (something inappropriate and rude)! Was she a SS, or what!?!"

A few following posts commiserate with A, or tell stories about something similar. That's fine. They are part of the discussion.

But several posts like this appear: I had a cast, too, but mine was on my leg! - My uncle had one of those plaster casts! - My cousin is an orthopedist! - Casts these days are made of fiberglass!

What say you all? Aren't those kinds of posts off topic?

Sadly,
The embarassed Roo

It's not necessarily what you said, it's how you said it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.