Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5528777 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21840 on: June 23, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »

Well, for one, afbluebelle, Bruins can't win the Cup on Monday.  They're down a game.  And honestly, if they're really leaving their net wide open so someone can score from half ice, they don't deserve the Cup in my opinion.  I don't know a lot about hockey, but I don't think you're supposed to do that.  ;)

*Sports Fan hat on*:  it is a valid play.  When teams are one goal behind close to the end of the game and have possession of the puck, they'll pull the goaltender to put on an extra attacker in an attempt to score the tying goal.  The downside, of course, is that if the other team manages to get the puck, the net is empty and a shot from centre ice can trickle in, if it is on line.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21841 on: June 23, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »
First, Go Hawks.. and by that, I mean Go Anyone Who Isn't The Bruins.  (Seriously, I have no problem with Boston or any other Boston team, but the Bruins?  Yeah.)  Secondly, I didn't know so many of us lived on the same street!

I know right? I propose an ehellion barbecue! Errr... that would be... a barbecue held by ehellions, not you know, actually barbecuing any ehellions...

I'll bring potato salad!

I've got hot dogs!  :)

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21842 on: June 23, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »

Why is having a puppy on a harness bad? I always thought harnesses looked more comfy and seemed to allow far more control for training.

I thought so too!

They are definitely more comfortable and safer for small dogs (as the OP mentioned, to prevent trauma on the windpipe) but for a dog that pulls, a harness is the worst training method - it lets the dog get his full weight and strength behind the pull.   If this is a 10 lb Shih Tzu, not such a big deal :-) ...for larger, heavier dogs it can make the training harder.  There are devices that go around the dog's muzzle that are much  more effective, but they don't work on short-faced breeds like bulldogs.

She's a 12 pound Cavachon.  She's actually gotten better since we switched harnesses but she still pulls because, honestly, she's a puppy and her thought process is "musthave!".  The guy basically said that it was hurting the dog's chest area and that a collar is much more humane, plus then she would look more like a dog.  ???  ::)  I decided to let him keep that thought, scooped up the puppy, and brought her inside.  I haven't seen the man since and I'm kind of glad about it. 

(Picture link!: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/261726_627825935416_178003111_n.jpg )

And Thipu1, thank you for explaining that.  It makes a lot more sense now.  At the time, I was all "did they forget they were playing?" because I thought it was like basketball.  Where if the team ahead has the ball in the last half minute of the game, they can just hold onto it and then make a shot from center if they want to.  Usually never goes in.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21843 on: June 23, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »

Well, for one, afbluebelle, Bruins can't win the Cup on Monday.  They're down a game.  And honestly, if they're really leaving their net wide open so someone can score from half ice, they don't deserve the Cup in my opinion.  I don't know a lot about hockey, but I don't think you're supposed to do that.  ;)

*Sports Fan hat on*:  it is a valid play.  When teams are one goal behind close to the end of the game and have possession of the puck, they'll pull the goaltender to put on an extra attacker in an attempt to score the tying goal.  The downside, of course, is that if the other team manages to get the puck, the net is empty and a shot from centre ice can trickle in, if it is on line.

Even dumber is when a team pulls the goalie during a power play to get a 6 on 4 advantage.  Because being on the PK means the team can ice the puck with no penalty, therefore getting unlimited free shots on the now empty net.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #21844 on: June 23, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
We had to special order a collar for our bulldog, Brutus, the one on the left:

He kept breaking them or slipping them.  Because his neck is so thick we couldn't tighten it much, so he could slide backwards out of almost all collars. The one we have on him now isn't smooth, it's got texture on the inside, so when he tries to back out of it it pulls on his fur a bit, so he stops.  Thickest leather collar we could find.

He's actually twice the size of a normal bulldog.  85 pounds of lap dog. 

:-)  And yeah, training was hard.  He's broken several chains, one of them a two ton test chain, which is the stuff hubby uses to lift engines out of cars.  He's got an extremely strong neck, and with that face there was no way we could get a muzzle on him.  If he wasn't so happy and eager to please, I don't think we could have trained him at all.  As it is, he'll sit, heel, and come when we call him, but that's about it.  That's all we really needed anyway.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21845 on: June 23, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
The rental house at the end of the block seems to attract an unending stream of Special Snowflake druggie bad parents.

The most recent tenants moved in last summer.  They quickly made “friends” with my sociable next-door neighbor Gary.  Two days after the Snowflake family moved in, Gary and I were lounging by my pool.  Snowflake parents let themselves through my gate and came down to the pool, allegedly to talk to Gary, who introduced them to me. 

It took less than five minutes for the Snowflake parents to start telling me how much their kids (at least six of them) were going to enjoy using my pool.  I managed to put a stop to that.

Yesterday Gary told me that the Snowflakes were pestering him to persuade me to let their kids use my pool this summer.

Let’s see . . . Snowflake parents are known drug abusers and have been in and out of rehab this past year.  They owe Gary money.  Their swarm of children is not closely supervised.  One day the 5-year-old was in another neighbor’s yard with a machete, chopping down the garden.  The father’s response was “So?” 

These people have made no effort to befriend me (for which I’m grateful).  I’m astounded that they think someone they barely know would give their crazy family open access to a pool.  Of course, they believe that their children are perfectly behaved little angels.

There are stories about young children drowning in pools every summer - I've been seeing them in the media since we lived in Phoenix, Arizona (USA - the city is in a desert) some thirty odd years ago. 

Locks on gates and high fences were a legal requirement in Arizona at the time.  We got keyed padlocks for the gates.  I'd suggest getting a GOOD padlock and leaving the gate locked at all times when the OP isn't in the yard, and a strong latch to keep it shut when she is in the pool - but might be expecting someone to come over. 

Because "good fences make good neighbors" - and good strong latches on the gates are an important part of a good fence.
POD - and if you ever find the kids in your yard/pool - call the cops reporting the kids for tresspassing and the parents for neglect.

Our house was broken into and the cops were sure it was kids from what was taken. The cops advised my parents to look into better security around the pool because if the kids had gotten drunk (they had scattered the contents of Dad's wet bar around) and drowned we could have been facing civil law suit.

We were on vacation and figure at a neighbor coming into the garage to feed the cat scared them off. (The people looking after our house had a BIL, who was a Border Patrol Officer murdered. They had left in a hurry to go to the family - but arranged for a mutual friend to feed the cat. Forgot to have them pick up the paper) 

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Amara

« Reply #21846 on: June 23, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
The latest Special Snowflake to (temporarily) enter my life showed up yesterday at the thrift store. It was the next-to-last Saturday before they close for their annual two week cleaning, and most things were marked 50 percent off the already very reasonable prices. Except in the corner place where they put, I think, the more expensive women's clothes and purses. This is the only place where there is a register other than the one at the front.

So ... lines to check out are long. Most people are patient but oh no, not the SS. She's there with several armloads of things and even while waiting began badgering the volunteers, claiming that this and that item should be discounted because they came from a table up front. The volunteer had to repeatedly tell her it was not discounted but the woman Would Not Let It Go. In a loud, whiny voice, to boot. Finally, the volunteer with a deep sigh goes to check. She comes back and confirms that she is right, it is not discounted. Cue more whining from Ms. SS making sure we all heard it. (What, did she want us to step and whine with her too?) When she reaches the actual cashiering desk, she starts in again! Same whining complaint, same result. Unbelievable. She's an interior decorator, she said earlier in a somewhat snotty tone while waiting for the doors to open, so the reasonable prices--and they are--are not enough for her. She has to add plenty of whine to her shopping.

Poor volunteers.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21847 on: June 23, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
And if it WASN'T an error, and she really did mean to send you homework - that is an "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible" situation if I ever heard one.
Or maybe the niece volunteered her mom and aunt. I've had kids do that before. When I sent home a note asking for volunteers to do X. Then I had student crying that Mom or Aunt had said to bring home X. If I send it home. I might end up with an irritated parent/aunt. If I don't I also might get an irritated parent/aunt, who doesn't understand why telling my kid wasn't enough why do I have to send back that piece of paper (that required her to sign her name).

My daughter, at age 3, volunteered me to have a baby for the day-care worker.

(Other Kid had been upset because all his peers, including DD, were having babies. To comfort him, Day-Care Worker said, "Look at me, I don't have a baby either!" DD leaped in to say, "That's OK, my mommy will make you one." D-C Worker ran to tell me the funny story when I got there to pick DD up. I thought she and I were going to pee our pants laughing at this!)

And my daughter has volunteered me for lots of other things as well.

Rohanna

« Reply #21848 on: June 23, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »
My son volunteered to BE my child-free sister's baby one or two days a month when he was 4. He *adores* her and told me "I want you to stay MY Mommy but she doesn't have kids so she could ...borrow...me once in a while". She loves her nephews and nieces and is definately the "cool auntie" but has been known to refer to them as "birth control" when they aren't around ;)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

mmswm

« Reply #21849 on: June 23, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
RE: Fireworks.  The Heat won the NBA championships last Thursday.  I live in Miami.  There was not a lot of sleeping going on that night due to the noise.  Now, I'm as big of a fan as anybody, but can we please knock it off at least by midnight?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowdragon

« Reply #21850 on: June 23, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
My neighbors are having a party. I came home from taking a drive in the country, to find a elementary/middle schooled aged boy peeing in my front yard. I protested this to the neighbor, who told him to go in the house and use their bathroom. The mother of the boy overheard and came over yelling at me about "looking at her son" and telling me that "he's a boy, boys do things, get over it."  yeah so my my plants need to be killed and my yard needs to smell like pee, because "he's a boy."? sigh.

Jocelyn

« Reply #21851 on: June 23, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
  The mother of the boy overheard and came over yelling at me about "looking at her son" and telling me that "he's a boy, boys do things, get over it."  yeah so my my plants need to be killed and my yard needs to smell like pee, because "he's a boy."? sigh.
'I might have been able to mistake him for a girl, but he insisted on my knowing he was a boy.'
'Does he do this at home often?'
'However do you get the urine stains out of the carpet and furniture?'
'Did you know it's illegal for boys to go around displaying their genitals to unwilling females?'
'I didn't mean to look, I never look at exhibitionists.'

mmswm

« Reply #21852 on: June 23, 2013, 08:28:24 PM »
I've said this before, but it's relevant here too...

Boys will be boys, which is why parents have to be parents.

My boys tried to pee outside in random places before, but it's my job to stop them and correct them.  It's a boy thing to try to do it, but it's a parent thing to teach them why that's not okay.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

NyaChan

« Reply #21853 on: June 23, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »

My boys tried to pee outside in random places before, but it's my job to stop them and correct them.  It's a boy thing to try to do it, but it's a parent thing to teach them why that's not okay.

That's a nice turn of phrase :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21854 on: June 23, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

It's one thing to do it in the woods behind a tree.  I confess to having done that a few times myself - of necessity - and I've never even been a boy!  But to do it in someone else's front yard is quite a different scenario!!