Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5521664 times)

HyenaInPetticoats

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21900 on: June 25, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »
Iím very lucky to go to a very competitive university in central London, that attracts a lot of international and American students.

Most of the American students Iíve met have been absolutely lovely and down to earth, but I have also met many, who were completely gobsmacked that having money and an American passport doesnít give you a passport to Oxford or any UK university for that matter.  :-\

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21901 on: June 25, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
It reminds me of an op-ed article that was once published in the Globe and Mail ("Canada's Newspaper"). The writer outlined all the horrible, horrible things that her father had gone through when moving to Canada, and how humiliated he was at having to take a job in maintenance at the local university. Because, you see, back in the old country he had a high government position, and they had a house with servants, and he was chauffeured back and forth to work on the government dime. She ended up by sneering about how Canada let down immigrants who came "for a better life".

I wondered just how much better a life he expected?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mmswm

« Reply #21902 on: June 26, 2013, 01:34:33 AM »
I only thought I knew what an SS driver was before today. I am currently "at work" with my boyfriend. He is a long haul truck driver. I have been astounded at the cruddy things drivers of passenger cars will do to trucks. Thank diety my guy is an excellent driver who makes this look easy, but man there have been some moments that have made me wonder if my life insurance policy is sufficient.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #21903 on: June 26, 2013, 03:52:33 AM »

Oh, yeah.  Had a coworker who did the same thing.  EVERYTHING was so much better at home in Mother Country.  Medicine was better.  Sports were better.  Literature was better.  Fruit was better (even though, apparently, you had to stand in line for hours to buy one cherry, but it was apparently worth it).

And one day I had had enough and said "Why on earth are you still here?  I'm ready to leave now listening to your description.  Why ever did you leave such a paradise?"

And off he slunk without another word.  Someone told me later that, yes, once again, he and his family came over here to escape political repression and poverty.  I simply do not get it.

Simply, it was his home once, with everything indefinable that made it his place, where every stick and stone of it was part of who he is, part of him; where he understood how everything worked and how he fitted in.  However poor it was and however unpleasant, it was his *home*. And now he's lost it, and he evidently doesn't yet feel that the US has become home.

That said, it's the height of bad manners to constantly be decrying the US, which has given him refuge.  I can be irritated by it, yet understand it. I'd miss home, too.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #21904 on: June 26, 2013, 04:50:40 AM »

Oh, yeah.  Had a coworker who did the same thing.  EVERYTHING was so much better at home in Mother Country.  Medicine was better.  Sports were better.  Literature was better.  Fruit was better (even though, apparently, you had to stand in line for hours to buy one cherry, but it was apparently worth it).

And one day I had had enough and said "Why on earth are you still here?  I'm ready to leave now listening to your description.  Why ever did you leave such a paradise?"

And off he slunk without another word.  Someone told me later that, yes, once again, he and his family came over here to escape political repression and poverty.  I simply do not get it.

Simply, it was his home once, with everything indefinable that made it his place, where every stick and stone of it was part of who he is, part of him; where he understood how everything worked and how he fitted in.  However poor it was and however unpleasant, it was his *home*. And now he's lost it, and he evidently doesn't yet feel that the US has become home.

That said, it's the height of bad manners to constantly be decrying the US, which has given him refuge.  I can be irritated by it, yet understand it. I'd miss home, too.

I think if you're emigrating to get away from something, rather than to go to something you want, it's easier to be nostalgic and wistful about the bits of your old country that didn't suck. If only that one bad thing (like, say, imminent risk of death) hadn't been there, it would have been perfect.

Some time before I met my now husband, the Good Ethnic Boy, he sort of lost a girlfriend to "Other Country Is So Much BETTER" Syndrome. She went to London for a short exchange program - I think three months - and when she came back she spent weeks moping around and pining (audibly) about how London had been great, she missed London, London was better than here because ((insert reasons)), she wanted to go baaaack. Finally he snapped and told her "Well, go back then!"

She did. ;D Thus he was free when I met him. :-*

About four years later, he gritted his teeth and was supportive when I went on a student exchange to Japan for a year, despite being terrified that history would repeat itself. (He also cooks. The man's a keeper and I've got him, ladies. 8) )
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Nikko-chan

« Reply #21905 on: June 26, 2013, 05:45:01 AM »
(He also cooks. The man's a keeper and I've got him, ladies. 8) )

Hey, can I borrow him? The Boyfriend doesn't know how to cook... also: he doesn't know how to eat. He needs to be taught ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21906 on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »

I can understand that. I remember one of my aunts telling me that when she and her siblings were kids they'd fantasize out loud about having a rich relative back in Ireland.  (Grandpa was of the first generation of that branch born in the US, Grandma's family came over mid 1800's)  Grandpa would say "If we had a rich relative in Ireland, we never would have left in the first place."   I know there were a lot of Irish reluctant to leave their homes but didn't have much of a choice due to finances or other reasons.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #21907 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:23 AM »

I can understand that. I remember one of my aunts telling me that when she and her siblings were kids they'd fantasize out loud about having a rich relative back in Ireland.  (Grandpa was of the first generation of that branch born in the US, Grandma's family came over mid 1800's)  Grandpa would say "If we had a rich relative in Ireland, we never would have left in the first place."   I know there were a lot of Irish reluctant to leave their homes but didn't have much of a choice due to finances or other reasons.

I have rich relatives in Scotland. They apparently don't want anything to do with us because we are peasants! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21908 on: June 26, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

Well, actually that makes sense.

He didn't leave because he wanted to. He really would rather have stayed. And he's homesick for it.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21909 on: June 26, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
I nominate these kids and their parents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg_YsPagUM

To me it is unacceptable to scream at the animals or bang on their enclosures. To bad Harry Potter wasn't there to put them in their place - without any harm coming to the gorilla.

We were in the new African Exhibit at the Houston Zoo. At the chimp enclosure there is this part that sticks out and has a shower head for them to cool off I guess. There was a chimp in the shower stall and people crowded around to see. Someone tripped and hit the "glass" and the chimp startled- vocalized and hit the glass back. This woman then started to try and get all the kids to thump the glass. Before I could react Loren grabbed Brett got out of the group around the stall and ran to a zoo keeper calling out "zoo keeper that lady is trying to hurt the chimp". The zoo keeper said something on her walkie talkie and got between the woman and one exit. Loren and Brett came over to me (I had been standing back from the crowd, reading the wall about conservation efforts) and we left. I was worried about that SS going off on Loren. So I don't know what happened. I hope her group was kicked out for the day and that she was banned.

Our last trip was full of out of control day cares with the day care staff screaming at the kids and the kids shoving Loren and Brett around and screaming so loud we couldn't hear the zoo keeper talk. (He did call for someone to come deal with them) We left early. As we left we ran into another group that was easily 5 times the number of kids as the earlier groups. (they were still in their whole group) Their adults were projecting but not yelling when giving instructions. They were cleaning up the Plaza area where they had just had lunch. While there was a level of noise from the kids talking there was no screaming and they were picking up trash I'm pretty sure other groups had left. The last group was from a YMCA. The number of the Y was on the backs of their shirts. I noted it down on my phone. Later I called them and told the head of the summer camp program how terrific their kids and staff were.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21910 on: June 26, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

To me it is unacceptable to scream at the animals or bang on their enclosures.
There are several posts over on notalwaysright.com where SS zoogoers want the keepers to go into the enclosures and "make them do something."  Because going into the lion/tiger/bear enclosure and poking them with a stick is SUCH a good idea.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #21911 on: June 26, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
My family could be considered immigrants - we're British, and we moved to Canada when I was a baby.  Why?  Because we had a chance for a much better life - even at that time, the job prospects in the U.K. were a bit dicey.  My parents love Canada and, much as they might miss Britain, would never move back there.   Contrast that with a friend of my mother's who was a British war bride - she never stopped referring to England as "home", even after she'd lived here for 50 years!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21912 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:53 AM »
Re:  (Lightening and) thunderstorms (this is long - but I do have a point)

They are pretty common in my neck of the woods in the summer on those hot, hazy, humid days.  Growing up, I loved them.  If it was a mild one, I'd even go for a walk in the rain.  They never bothered me when I was camping or anything, unless it was right on top of us.

Then a coworker of mine was killed by a lightning strike when he was camping with his wife and another couple.  The boys had gone to re-peg down the tent; the girls were in the truck.  He was killed instantly and his buddy was also technically dead.  Coworker's wife knew he was gone but did CPR on the buddy and brought him back.  I don't know where she found the strength; her training must have just kicked in.

So now, while I still love thunderstorms, I love them from inside my house, where I'm not using any water.  (When he was a kid, my Dad's mother was at the kitchen sink and had just turned to talk to the family when lightning hit the house and the electricity was conducted through the metal pipes up through the kitchen sink drain.  Hence, no water use during storms.)

A week ago Sunday, I was at my softball game.  Before the game even started, there was a storm off to the west where lightning could be seen, and it was travelling our way.  But the ump didn't call the game, and if we refused to play, it would be considered a forfeit which costs us a fair amount of money.  In the middle of the second inning, some of us girls with fine hair had it standing on end.  Still wasn't called.  It was finally called in the middle of the third inning.  I was quietly freaking out.  I couldn't walk off the field without risking a forfeit.  I let the ump know I was extremely unhappy with his decision and spent all the time I could in the lightning position (crouched down as low as I could and balanced on the balls of my feet).  When I had to go up to bat, the guy in front of me walked so I had the choice of walking or hitting.  Normally, I'd hit.  I walked and the other team gave me grief for it.  Sorry, but I'm not standing there with a bat above my head that will conduct electricity!

I know other people thought I was a SS but I don't think I was.  I think I did pretty well considering I was freaking right out!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21913 on: June 26, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
This morning, I happened to be behind a vehicle where the SS driver looked at the passenger every second or so. So much so that his car was veering into the right lane (where there were cars) on a regular basis. I don't understand that at all. I was very glad not to be next to him.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21914 on: June 26, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »

To me it is unacceptable to scream at the animals or bang on their enclosures.
There are several posts over on notalwaysright.com where SS zoogoers want the keepers to go into the enclosures and "make them do something."  Because going into the lion/tiger/bear enclosure and poking them with a stick is SUCH a good idea.  ::)
Brett is just thrilled Johnathan (the lion) is out where we can see him on a visit. Johnathan can sit there sunning himself and Brett and his cousin Cam will stand there watching like he is the most fascinating thing ever. till we make them move due to the other 4 having had quiet enough. On the other hand they want to break Liberty, the Bald Eagle out so he can go to the farm and be with his friends. (There is a Bald Eagle nest just off our property). We have explained repeatedly that Liberty's wing is injured and he can't fly. Every trip the question is is Liberty better can we take him to the farm.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future