Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5280190 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21915 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:53 AM »
Re:  (Lightening and) thunderstorms (this is long - but I do have a point)

They are pretty common in my neck of the woods in the summer on those hot, hazy, humid days.  Growing up, I loved them.  If it was a mild one, I'd even go for a walk in the rain.  They never bothered me when I was camping or anything, unless it was right on top of us.

Then a coworker of mine was killed by a lightning strike when he was camping with his wife and another couple.  The boys had gone to re-peg down the tent; the girls were in the truck.  He was killed instantly and his buddy was also technically dead.  Coworker's wife knew he was gone but did CPR on the buddy and brought him back.  I don't know where she found the strength; her training must have just kicked in.

So now, while I still love thunderstorms, I love them from inside my house, where I'm not using any water.  (When he was a kid, my Dad's mother was at the kitchen sink and had just turned to talk to the family when lightning hit the house and the electricity was conducted through the metal pipes up through the kitchen sink drain.  Hence, no water use during storms.)

A week ago Sunday, I was at my softball game.  Before the game even started, there was a storm off to the west where lightning could be seen, and it was travelling our way.  But the ump didn't call the game, and if we refused to play, it would be considered a forfeit which costs us a fair amount of money.  In the middle of the second inning, some of us girls with fine hair had it standing on end.  Still wasn't called.  It was finally called in the middle of the third inning.  I was quietly freaking out.  I couldn't walk off the field without risking a forfeit.  I let the ump know I was extremely unhappy with his decision and spent all the time I could in the lightning position (crouched down as low as I could and balanced on the balls of my feet).  When I had to go up to bat, the guy in front of me walked so I had the choice of walking or hitting.  Normally, I'd hit.  I walked and the other team gave me grief for it.  Sorry, but I'm not standing there with a bat above my head that will conduct electricity!

I know other people thought I was a SS but I don't think I was.  I think I did pretty well considering I was freaking right out!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21916 on: June 26, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
This morning, I happened to be behind a vehicle where the SS driver looked at the passenger every second or so. So much so that his car was veering into the right lane (where there were cars) on a regular basis. I don't understand that at all. I was very glad not to be next to him.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21917 on: June 26, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
I nominate these kids and their parents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg_YsPagUM

To me it is unacceptable to scream at the animals or bang on their enclosures.
There are several posts over on notalwaysright.com where SS zoogoers want the keepers to go into the enclosures and "make them do something."  Because going into the lion/tiger/bear enclosure and poking them with a stick is SUCH a good idea.  ::)
Brett is just thrilled Johnathan (the lion) is out where we can see him on a visit. Johnathan can sit there sunning himself and Brett and his cousin Cam will stand there watching like he is the most fascinating thing ever. till we make them move due to the other 4 having had quiet enough. On the other hand they want to break Liberty, the Bald Eagle out so he can go to the farm and be with his friends. (There is a Bald Eagle nest just off our property). We have explained repeatedly that Liberty's wing is injured and he can't fly. Every trip the question is is Liberty better can we take him to the farm.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21918 on: June 26, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »

There are several posts over on notalwaysright.com where SS zoogoers want the keepers to go into the enclosures and "make them do something."  Because going into the lion/tiger/bear enclosure and poking them with a stick is SUCH a good idea.  ::)

Oh it is indeed! I don't get people like that.. that's like the people who go to the national parks, like Yellowstone, and think its fun to try and feed the wild animals they are told not to. And then freak out when they come near them!

There was an incident here in NJ a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly, with a guy who thought it was cute to have his toddler son try and hold out a bagel for a black bear in one of the state parks. The bear, in taking the bagel, swiped his paw and scratched the child, and dad screamed bloody murder. Really? first of all, its illegal to feed them here, secondly, if you do something dumb like that, well then, what can I say? i don't thnk the child was injured badly, but how he thought that was a good idea is behond me.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #21919 on: June 26, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
I lost my tempter with an SS today  :-[

I was at the post office with Baby Girl in the push chair and I am walking round the maze of polls to get the the end of the line.
SS comes up clearly in a rush and tried to get past me. I am already in the maze which is only just wide enough for single file, so as far as I am concerned I am in the line. I keep moving and she can't get passed me. I wasn't rude just kept moving.
Even when I was standing still behind the man in front of me, she was clearly trying to edge past me without making eye contact.

Then we here "next person to cashier 6 please" and she starts pointing at the man in line in front of me saying "you you" then pointing at the flashing 6. He was not being slow.
Then "next person to cashier 7 please" I am maneuvering round before it's even finished the recording and she is pointing and saying "you it's! 7! 7 is free its you."

My response was a very annoyed "yes, thank you I can see that." I felt guilty as soon as I said it as I definitely had a tone but she seemed completely oblivious.

If she had asked me if she could go before me as she needed to hurry, I would have been happy let her go first. but standing behind me broadcasting "hurry hurry hurry" and talking to me like I am a child not paying attention is just going to drive me batty.
For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing. - Jonah Lehrer

NyaChan

« Reply #21920 on: June 26, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
That would be so irritating!  I think you handled that really well unless you were yelling when you said it :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21921 on: June 26, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
I have that happen often, different venues where someone is convinced they are more important or their time is more valuable. I stay in my position in line, and just think to myself "I am an unmovable object". Usually, the people in such a hurry end up last regardless of their impatient behavior.

MrTango

« Reply #21922 on: June 26, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
Then "next person to cashier 7 please" I am maneuvering round before it's even finished the recording and she is pointing and saying "you it's! 7! 7 is free its you."

My response was a very annoyed "yes, thank you I can see that." I felt guilty as soon as I said it as I definitely had a tone but she seemed completely oblivious.

I don't think that qualifies as losing your temper.  In fact, my response to her would be far less polite.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #21923 on: June 26, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
Normally, my immediate supervisor is a man much appreciated for his dry wit, his flexibility and his relatively understanding nature.  However....he is being nominated for one of his more irritating practices that sends most of the rest of us running for the vodka and the Tylenol.

If things are getting a little too hot to handle at work, if he has a meeting with Stonecold that didn't go well, if things aren't going well at home, if he has a confrontation with a nasty patron....he suddenly needs to go home.  And it doesn't matter if he's in the middle of a patron interview or if we're short staffed.  He leaves.  And sometimes he will call in sick or take personal time for the next two or three days as well.

Today he announced that he was taking an emergency vacation and wouldn't be back until next week, knowing that several of us are already off for sickness and vacation. 

I understand completely when it's his IBS that's giving him trouble.  (I wish he was a little more understanding about MY IBS, but oh well.)  Sickness gets a pass. 

But you're mad at the boss?  Me, too.  You're fed up with reality challenged patrons who don't want to abide by the rules?  Me, too.  You've run out of money and can't pay the mortgage on time?  Me, too.

But if *I* go home in the middle of the day or don't come in for a few days, I am likely to get a lecture.  I haven't got the luxury of staying home with the covers over my head, hiding from the world that I would so love to shut out some days. 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #21924 on: June 26, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »

Oh, yeah.  Had a coworker who did the same thing.  EVERYTHING was so much better at home in Mother Country.  Medicine was better.  Sports were better.  Literature was better.  Fruit was better (even though, apparently, you had to stand in line for hours to buy one cherry, but it was apparently worth it).

And one day I had had enough and said "Why on earth are you still here?  I'm ready to leave now listening to your description.  Why ever did you leave such a paradise?"

And off he slunk without another word.  Someone told me later that, yes, once again, he and his family came over here to escape political repression and poverty.  I simply do not get it.

Simply, it was his home once, with everything indefinable that made it his place, where every stick and stone of it was part of who he is, part of him; where he understood how everything worked and how he fitted in.  However poor it was and however unpleasant, it was his *home*. And now he's lost it, and he evidently doesn't yet feel that the US has become home.

That said, it's the height of bad manners to constantly be decrying the US, which has given him refuge.  I can be irritated by it, yet understand it. I'd miss home, too.

I can understand that. I remember one of my aunts telling me that when she and her siblings were kids they'd fantasize out loud about having a rich relative back in Ireland.  (Grandpa was of the first generation of that branch born in the US, Grandma's family came over mid 1800's)  Grandpa would say "If we had a rich relative in Ireland, we never would have left in the first place."   I know there were a lot of Irish reluctant to leave their homes but didn't have much of a choice due to finances or other reasons.

I understand what everyone is saying.  If you are homesick, you are homesick...I would be, too....but I would not sit at a table full of people who had given you a job and tell them that their way of life and their country suck and that they have no idea what really good living is......If he had said "I really miss my home, it was such fun to do XYZ..."  but to say "This peach from X Farm is terrible.  Back in Mother Country We had peaches."  or to criticize (loudly and often) the economic practices that GAVE him a job....THAT grew old really, really fast......

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21925 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »

Oh it is indeed! I don't get people like that.. that's like the people who go to the national parks, like Yellowstone, and think its fun to try and feed the wild animals they are told not to. And then freak out when they come near them!

There was an incident here in NJ a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly, with a guy who thought it was cute to have his toddler son try and hold out a bagel for a black bear in one of the state parks. The bear, in taking the bagel, swiped his paw and scratched the child, and dad screamed bloody murder. Really? first of all, its illegal to feed them here, secondly, if you do something dumb like that, well then, what can I say? i don't thnk the child was injured badly, but how he thought that was a good idea is behond me.
Dollars to doughnuts there were people that wanted the poor bear put down - but the father wasn't charged with neglect/endangerment.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21926 on: June 26, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »

Dollars to doughnuts there were people that wanted the poor bear put down - but the father wasn't charged with neglect/endangerment.

I tried to find an article since my memory was faulty, but couldn't. I'll have to look again. i think reactions were mixed, and mostly that the guy was an idiot. He was probably arressted for something.  Black bears are a huge problem where I am in NJ. When they're found in residential areas, they're captured, tagged and relased in a "better" area. this was IN a major state park, i think, so the bears belonged there.  I've seen them at my friend's - she had a huge 400+ lb one waddle into her yard. And waddle out faster when her dogs barked at it!

then driving home from there, I saw something lope across the road, and it was 2 cubs. While mama was on teh other side. i stopped my car to look, and she gave me such a stink eye! 

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21927 on: June 26, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »
then driving home from there, I saw something lope across the road, and it was 2 cubs. While mama was on teh other side. i stopped my car to look, and she gave me such a stink eye!

I once stopped my car to let a goose and her 6 goslings finish waddling across the road. Mama goose reared back, hissed at my car, and tried to peck it. SS indeed..

Jocelyn

« Reply #21928 on: June 26, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »

I understand completely when it's his IBS that's giving him trouble.  (I wish he was a little more understanding about MY IBS, but oh well.)  Sickness gets a pass. 

But if *I* go home in the middle of the day or don't come in for a few days, I am likely to get a lecture.   

You do realize that a symptom of IBS can be incessant and uncontrollable diarrhea?
The poor man may be trying to make it home before he humiliates himself at work.
I really think this trumps other stress-related ailments that might make it hard to remain at work during a stressful day.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #21929 on: June 26, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »
These people have made no effort to befriend me (for which Im grateful).  Im astounded that they think someone they barely know would give their crazy family open access to a pool.  Of course, they believe that their children are perfectly behaved little angels.

We try to avoid the woman ("Crazy Katie") who lives in the government housing across the culdesac from us for the exact same reason. We've lived in our house 7 years and only spoken to her once or twice. She has, however, "befriended" her next door neighbors, who we are friendly with.

Last winter the friendly husband called my husband to let him know/warn us that Katie had asked him for DH's phone number. She had seen DH shoveling our driveway, and wanted to call him to come do hers as well (for free, of course.) Friendly husband refused (she didn't ask him because she has asked before and been told no.) Katie told him it wasn't fair that friendly husband's wife and I had husbands who would shovel our driveways. Katie didn't have a husband. Apparently this led her to believe that she was entitled to other peoples' husbands' help.  ::)