Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5359628 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21990 on: June 30, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
I may have posted this before but mmswm's post reminded me of it.

When Dad had the Distributorship in West Texas, It covered square miles than the east coast states put together basically San Angelo - Midland down south to Big Bend. Parts of his territory was dry. In Texas counties or cities/towns even parts of cities* can be wet, semi-wet or dry. If an area was dry Dad's trucks were forbidden by law to stop for any reason. They can't stop to get fuel, they can't stop to get food or use the restroom they have to drive straight through.

*The Heights in Houston is an example of this. The Heights was once a separate city and its charter said the city was dry. The city was then annexed by Houston. Because the area was dry when annexed it still is dry 101 years after the original law was passed.

Dad gets an irate phone call from a woman. She had her kids in the car, broken down on the side of the road. She was mad because one of his trucks went by, slowed but didn't stop.

Dad tried to explain that the driver couldn't stop, but had called in her being broken down to DPS. DPS had sent someone to help her. The driver had been told to by DPS to keep going or face fines.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:38:00 PM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

weeblewobble

« Reply #21991 on: June 30, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
Why is my gym so full of special snowflakes!? I love it there.  It's a nice place!

BG: There is a lovely daycare center at my gym, but it's closed on Saturday.   The gym has a "no one under 16 on the gym floor" policy.

Yesterday, I went to the gym and used the "annex" a recent addition full of cardio equipment that is so separated from the main gym that it's practically its own building. (My point being that the room is smaller and sound REALLY carries.) I was about halfway through my run when a woman came in with a stroller and put it in front of an elliptical machine. She started working out and within a few minutes, the baby in the stroller started SCREAMING.  I mean, I could hear the baby crying over my iPod, which was on full blast. The half dozen or so people in the annex kept glancing over at the stroller lady, wondering (I assume) whether she was going to get off of her machine and take care of the baby. For about five minutes, she didn't. 

I pulled out my earbuds and heard an older man stopped HIS workout and say to her, "Ma'am, you're not supposed to have children in here. Please take the baby out of the gym."

Stroller lady was highly offended and said, "Well, the daycare is closed!  I didn't know the daycare closed!  What am I supposed to do?"

Older man: "You go home and leave the baby with a sitter, or you come back when the daycare is open."

Stroller lady (who is still not getting off her elliptical or comforting her baby): "I have the same right to be here that you do!  I need to use it more because I just had a baby!"

Another lady piped up, "Ma'am, I have three kids.  And when the daycare is closed, I leave them with my husband or a sitter, so I can come to the gym.  Because that's the gym policy."

Stroller lady: "Well, it's a stupid policy that discriminates against moms!"

At this point, someone on the gym staff overheard and asked her to take the baby and leave.  He reminded her there is a "no one under 16" policy.  How she managed to sneak the baby past the front desk, I have no idea.  Anyway, she stormed out. I feel sort of bad because she obviously felt like she was being ganged up on.  But her attitude didn't help.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:54:16 PM by weeblewobble »

weeblewobble

« Reply #21992 on: June 30, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
N.J. man faces fines in bear attack.

[He] was hiking at Worthington State Forest in Warren County with his three children late last month when he saw the black bear and tossed a bagel its way in the hope of getting a snapshot.

But the plan backfired. The bear devoured the bagel and went after Jacobs' 5-year-old son, Billy, who was left with claw marks on his arm and shoulder blade.

This kind of thing makes me feel ill. This sort of person should not be allowed to care for children or perform in any role involving responsibility for others. "Oh, look, a wild and deadly animal which is much stronger than me and about which I know next to nothing! I'll just lure it over here near my children whom I have forgotten in my much more important quest to get a photo!"

I have a Darwin Awards Omnibus (who doesn't?) and one of the most unsettling ones was about a woman who was merrily spreading honey on her child's face so that she could take a wonderful photo of the bear licking the toddler.

I'm not sure if I've told this story here before, but I have to tell it. No food involved, but ****....

When I was a girl, we lived on an AF base in Colorado. A heavily wooded base. We had everything around there, coyotes, racoons, bears... They would come into our cul-di-sac both for the garbage and the crab-apple tree in one of the yards.

So, picture the scene. There is a bear prowling around our shared driveway, not doing anything, probably too busy digesting the apple glut to bother opening a trashcan, but still a grown female black bear. My mother and sister are in the hall, trying to calm down our panicking puppies, I'm in the kitchen, trying to keep our tom from busting through the wall to show this female who's boss, my dad steps out into our fenced yard to keep a better eye on our uninvited guest. This is all at about 11'o'clock at night. Dad looks over the fence, and what does he see?

Our next-door neighbor, having given his eight-year-old son a camera, standing in his carport, trying to get this groggy, still in his pajamas, child to go up to and get a better shot of the bear.

I swear, you could hear my father's "get the F*** inside!" from across the base. I didn't get to see the bears (being on cat-duty and all), but from the description (bear in driveway, guy in carport) there couldn't have been more then twenty feet, absolute max, between that bear and that child.

Yeah, we didn't get on with the neighbors on that side.  >:(

This is the same man who decided that ten-year-old me was responsible for making sure our toms didn't fight. If he'd come over and said Moonbeam was causing him trouble it would have been one thing, but going up to a young girl and berating her that her cat is horrible isn't going to help you.

I call this the "Disneyland mentality" (with apologies to the Disney Corporation).  Because of action movies, theme parks, haunted houses, sponsored tours, and other "sanitized" experiences in which people are put into "dangerous" situations, but know that they will ultimately come to no harm, because there are measures in place to protect them. Or in the case of the action movies, they see the main character survive being shot at, thrown off a bus, smacked with a pipe wrench, and attacked by a sea serpent.  A real person probably would have died from any one of those things.  But we're all the hero of our own movies, you know?

So people assume that "protection" extends to every area of life and do really stupid things.

PeterM

« Reply #21993 on: June 30, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
When Dad had the Distributorship in West Texas, It covered square miles than the east coast states put together basically San Angelo - Midland down south to Big Bend. Parts of his territory was dry. In Texas counties or cities/towns even parts of cities* can be wet, semi-wet or dry. If an area was dry Dad's trucks were forbidden by law to stop for any reason. They can't stop to get fuel, they can't stop to get food or use the restroom they have to drive straight through.

That sounds like a prime contender for an idiotic laws thread, but of course as long as its on the books it has to be followed. Does anyone know if laws like that are common in dry areas, though? Aren't some of the biggest distilleries in America in dry areas? I'm imagining the delivery trucks roaring past the loading dock at full speed while specially trained employees - perhaps large gorillas wearing ties - fling barrels into the open back of the truck.

My father and some of his brothers got arrested in a dry area back in the day. It's not necessarily a special snowflake story, unless bringing booze to a private bachelor party way out in the woods in a dry county qualifies. It wasn't their smartest move, granted. Nor was clamoring up a large tree when the sheriff showed up, rather than scattering into the woods like anyone who hadn't been imbibing heavily probably would've thought of. The sheriff just walked over to the tree, lit them up with his flashlight and told them to get their <redacted> down, already. My uncle the groom to be turns the story into one of the funniest things you'll ever hear, but I can't really do it justice in print. It's mostly in the accents. Just imagine an exasperated, tired sheriff with a deep Southern accent who has much, much better things to be doing than pulling a bunch of drunken Yankees out of a tree in the middle of nowhere. He never actually said he'd shoot them out of the tree if they didn't climb down, but I'm told it was implied.

weeblewobble

« Reply #21994 on: June 30, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »
Peter, I think we may be related.

misha412

« Reply #21995 on: June 30, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
In line to check out at Walmart today. I had a couple of shoppers ahead of me.

The first shopper was at the register paying. She had just swiped her card in the machine when her cell phone goes off. She proceeds to take out the phone and answer the call. She stops paying attention to everything else around her. She is just chatting away, standing there at the register.

After a few seconds, the cashier tries to get her attention because she still needs to complete the transaction on the swipe machine (sign it or put in a pin). The woman ignores the cashier completely and keeps on chatting. This goes on for about a minute and the woman is showing no signs of movement or doing anything other than chatting on her phone. The cashier tries a few times to get her attention, but has no luck.

The guy behind her finally taps her on the shoulder and asks her when she expects to be done with her call. She gets huffy and says something like "Can't you see I'm on the phone?" That at least prompts her to say good bye to the person on the phone with a comment about rude people. She gets off the phone.

After finally completing her transaction, she proceeds to stand there, putting her phone away, situating her money, getting her keys, closing her purse, making sure her bags were packed properly. She is doing it as slowly as possible. Finally, she gets everything situated and walks off as slowly as possible. Once she is clear of the register, she takes off at a brisk pace towards the door.

I do not know the woman and I am going only on what I observed and heard. From what I could tell, her actions after getting off the phone was her P/A way of getting back at the guy who asked her how much longer her call would be.

HorseFreak

« Reply #21996 on: June 30, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
A group of people were driving me crazy at the grocery store today. Apparently they were long lost friends who couldn't step aside and have their reunion because they completely blocked a section of the produce department by lining up their carts in the aisle and chatting spread apart. I maneuvered around only to come across them 10 minutes later blocking access to the last two aisles of the store doing the same thing! When I asked politely one managed to sidestep one step so I could squeeze through, but seriously?!?!?! I didn't know three people could take up so much space.

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #21997 on: June 30, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »

At this point, someone on the gym staff overheard and asked her to take the baby and leave.  He reminded her there is a "no one under 16" policy.  How she managed to sneak the baby past the front desk, I have no idea.  Anyway, she stormed out. I feel sort of bad because she obviously felt like she was being ganged up on.  But her attitude didn't help.

You shouldn't feel bad.  People who are so entitled and SS that they think the rules don't apply to them DESERVE to be "ganged up on!"

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #21998 on: June 30, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
There were a bunch of SSs at this campsite before we showed up.  We stayed at a very out of the way free place with 14 sites.  Every site was littered with trash.  Every campfire ring had plastic garbage in it.  A few had diapers.  A few had broken chairs, coolers, and an exercise bicycle!  One was filled with cigarette butts and pistachio shells.  So gross.

We were the only ones there for 24 hours and we spent a bit of time cleaning up a few sites.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Pen^2

« Reply #21999 on: June 30, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »
There were a bunch of SSs at this campsite before we showed up.  We stayed at a very out of the way free place with 14 sites.  Every site was littered with trash.  Every campfire ring had plastic garbage in it.  A few had diapers.  A few had broken chairs, coolers, and an exercise bicycle!  One was filled with cigarette butts and pistachio shells.  So gross.

We were the only ones there for 24 hours and we spent a bit of time cleaning up a few sites.

Good on you! We need more campers like you!

I've never understood people who go camping and then fill their area with junk and rubbish. Doesn't that go completely against the notion of experiencing nature if you make certain that you're sitting in a big pile of rubbish? Why do they go camping? Is it a silly fashionable thing now? I mean, an exercise bike? Really??

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22000 on: June 30, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »

I hate that, although I'm sure that the fact that it's free makes people think that they can treat it however they want.

Other question, are there no bears, skunks, cougars, nuisance wildlife where you are?  It just boggle my mind that there have not been any instances of animal attacks or disease outbreaks with all of that trash

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #22001 on: June 30, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
Honestly I don't know.  There were a few vague warning signs about wildlife and the garbage cans were the wildlife proof kind.  It was obvious the place hadn't been cleaned up for awhile.  All the trash cans were overflowing and there was no toilet paper in any of the outhouses.  Thankfully we brought our own.  When we left 4 days later, no one official had come by to pick up any trash.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22002 on: June 30, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Honestly I don't know.  There were a few vague warning signs about wildlife and the garbage cans were the wildlife proof kind.  It was obvious the place hadn't been cleaned up for awhile.  All the trash cans were overflowing and there was no toilet paper in any of the outhouses.  Thankfully we brought our own.  When we left 4 days later, no one official had come by to pick up any trash.

I'm guessing budget cuts.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shalamar

« Reply #22003 on: June 30, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »
Another grocery store SS today.  Tomorrow is a holiday here in Canada, and the stores will be closed, so the local Real Canadian Superstore was very busy this afternoon.  I spotted a parking spot that was very close to the store, thought "Hot dog!", and aimed my car for it.  First, however, the lady parked beside that spot decided to unload her groceries - by parking her cart IN the spot, even though she saw me waiting.  Why she didn't put her cart behind her car like everyone else is beyond me. Did I mention that it's very hot today?

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #22004 on: June 30, 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
A man here left his 8-month-old child in the car for 30+ minutes (with the doors unlocked and the windows rolled down.) It was a combination of very hot and very humid, and very stormy this weekend, so both pretty bad contenders for leaving your kid in the car. The news is saying 30 minutes, but it was 12:30 when someone called the police, and 1:00 when the car owner appeared, so really it could have been an hour or more.  :o When he saw the police waiting for him, he told them that he'd only been a minute...or only meant to be a minute, but had decided to run some additional errands while he was there.

AND. He did the same thing last summer with a baby (they didn't say if it was the same one though.)