Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5243892 times)

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22080 on: July 03, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
I saw a really special snowflake at one of our outlet store strip malls today. Someone had parked their pickup truck perpendicularly across four handicapped parking spaces. Who does this? And for heaven's sake, why?

http://cheezburger.com/6547162368

(bad parker gets parked in by several other annoyed people).

Unless there's some backstory on that link, I think that the four annoyed people were being ridiculous.  That parking lot is empty, and the car taking up so many spaces is neither right in front nor blocking anyone in.  Not to mention that the way that they parked to block the car in takes up way more spaces than is necessary.  I call that a whole blizzard.

I doubt it was real.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22081 on: July 03, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
My sister works in a large (box store) book store. There is a sizable children's section at the back and it's not that unusual for parents to leave their kids there while they wander in other sections of the store.

Enter SS. A mother comes in, parks her two kids (early school age) in the kids' section and is then seen by an employee heading out of the store. A manager is alerted and goes chasing after the mother. Manager caught up to mother in the parking lot and said "You will come back and get your children. They cannot be left unattended." Mother wasn't impressed, complained that she was just going across to big box furniture store waaaaayyyy across the parking lot, but did go back and get her kids. Yay, manager!

As an aside, although the store is well staffed, being a large bookstore, there are many shelves and not always clear line of sight and therefore...hiding places. A couple of years ago, a man was arrested and later convicted of exposing himself to a child in the children's section of the store after she had been left to read there on her own.

Aaaaaaand this: http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20031205.html is all I can think about now.

Warning for naughty word.

I miss that strip SO much.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22082 on: July 03, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
My sister works in a large (box store) book store. There is a sizable children's section at the back and it's not that unusual for parents to leave their kids there while they wander in other sections of the store.

Enter SS. A mother comes in, parks her two kids (early school age) in the kids' section and is then seen by an employee heading out of the store. A manager is alerted and goes chasing after the mother. Manager caught up to mother in the parking lot and said "You will come back and get your children. They cannot be left unattended." Mother wasn't impressed, complained that she was just going across to big box furniture store waaaaayyyy across the parking lot, but did go back and get her kids. Yay, manager!

As an aside, although the store is well staffed, being a large bookstore, there are many shelves and not always clear line of sight and therefore...hiding places. A couple of years ago, a man was arrested and later convicted of exposing himself to a child in the children's section of the store after she had been left to read there on her own.

Aaaaaaand this: http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20031205.html is all I can think about now.

I do too - I loved the one where she went in to buy RAM for her computer and got basically patted on the head and told that what she REALLY needed was a new computer.....nobody at that store made that mistake again.....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:05:31 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #22083 on: July 03, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »

I do to - I loved the one where she went in to buy RAM for her computer and got basically patted on the head and told that what she REALLY needed was a new computer.....nobody at that store made that mistake again.....

Kestrel had a deliciously... visceral way of dealing with idiots.  :)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22084 on: July 03, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »

off topic but there is now a sequel. Warning: Bad words ahoy. http://punchanpie.keenspot.com/daily/20070222.html

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22085 on: July 03, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »

I do to - I loved the one where she went in to buy RAM for her computer and got basically patted on the head and told that what she REALLY needed was a new computer.....nobody at that store made that mistake again.....

Ahem  http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20021104.html

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #22086 on: July 03, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »

Kestrel  is my hero >:D. I am so showing that to my sister ;D!

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #22087 on: July 03, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »

off topic but there is now a sequel. Warning: Bad words ahoy. http://punchanpie.keenspot.com/daily/20070222.html

It got so randomly updated that I stopped following it.  And Angela is no Kestrel.  :P

Pen^2

« Reply #22088 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
This is a sign which all stores should invest in: http://www.theburlapbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kazoo-1024x908.jpg

There are other versions... "All unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy," "all unattended children will be sold to the circus," and my favourite, "all unattended children will be given to the goblin king".

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22089 on: July 03, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »
I pinned that one QoW comic and my bff repinned it, she liked it so much. :):):)  She works in a pharmacy that like many has a toy section which she's responsible for.  And while she hasn't told me of any parents leaving their darling ones and going to other stores, she has complained that they do tend to just dump their kids in the toy section while they go looking in other parts of the store while their darlings mess up the toys.  ::)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #22090 on: July 03, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
Oi. One of my nanny friends had a boss who, when nanny suggested that the kids needed some new toys (educational, age-appropriate, etc.), told nanny to take the kids to the toy store and let them play with the toys, but not buy any.

Nanny refused.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

SheltieMom

« Reply #22091 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:55 AM »
My daughter, now 20, could not be left in the toy section of any store, because she insisted on putting everything in its place, and organizing it. Unfortunately, that tendency did not (and does not now) extend to her room at home.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Jones

« Reply #22092 on: July 04, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »
My daughter, now 20, could not be left in the toy section of any store, because she insisted on putting everything in its place, and organizing it. Unfortunately, that tendency did not (and does not now) extend to her room at home.

My son is the same way! SIL expressed concern about OCD; however he sure does like to throw stuff around his room, mix salt and pepper on the kitchen floor then dance about it tribal style.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #22093 on: July 04, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »

It got so randomly updated that I stopped following it.  And Angela is no Kestrel.  :P

I liked Angela in QoW, but I didn't really enjoy P&P much.  Kestral sometimes shows up in S*P, but it's just not the same.  :-(

One of the things I liked about QoW is the same thing I like about Questionable Content, watching the art evolve over time.  If you look at Jeph's art from the beginning of QC and look at it now, it's absolutely amazing.  You can see the artist getting better and better if you start at the beginning of QoW or QC.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22094 on: July 04, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
That is a pretty hippie name for a military pet.  My dad was in the field artillery - our pets tended to have names like Howitzer.

Haha, hubby tried to name our bulldog "Tank".
My sister has a cat named Nightstalker, named by her grandson whose father is at Ft. Campbell. :)