Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4391499 times)

snowdragon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22125 on: July 07, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »

Once we had a customer who refused to take no for an answer so demanded to see my manager. So I got her. He refused to believe her when she told him the same thing and demanded her manager. The store manager came donw and he didn't believer her either. He wanted a male manager. We didn't have any working that day so we just rounded up a male staff worker who, because he'd be trained by me, said exactly what the rest of us had said. Finally the customer either believed him or gave in since he then left.

I ran into that when I was doing tech support for Office.  I told the guy that he could not get a free replacement for his Office'95 just because Office 2000 came out. He refused to believe me - or my female supervisor, so a male team leader came on and told him the same thing...his response was "Well, you're a guy so I'll believe you, but you never know if a girl can be made to do what I want her to."
  Male team leader was flabbergasted.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22126 on: July 08, 2013, 03:37:38 AM »
I witnessed a pack of SS kids while at Gettysburg this past week.  We were walking up to the Pennsylvania Memorial, and there were about five kids sitting on one part of it.  As we walked up, one guy hawked and spit towards one of the girls, who screamed.  That seemed to inspire all five of them to start shrieking, pushing at each other, and getting into everyone else's way who was at the memorial.  I was watching them and one kid caught my eye and figured out that I wasn't happy with them.  They all calmed down a bit (although the girl who initially screamed seemed to be having fun making faces at me), until the Union reenactors who were demonstrating how to load and fire muskets set off the first round.  Every round that was fired was greeted with piercing, terrifying shrieks from all five of them, and laughter in between.  They seemed to think it was really fun to see who would come over to see if they were okay every time a shriek was heard.  >:(

And this is why I visit Gettysburg during the off season.  The last time I was there during a reenactment was on Memorial Day the year Sarah Palin was scheduled to show up in her bus.  My walking stick almost became an agent of evil and my camera a weapon of mass desctruction
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22127 on: July 08, 2013, 06:52:48 AM »
I witnessed a pack of SS kids while at Gettysburg this past week.  We were walking up to the Pennsylvania Memorial, and there were about five kids sitting on one part of it.  As we walked up, one guy hawked and spit towards one of the girls, who screamed.  That seemed to inspire all five of them to start shrieking, pushing at each other, and getting into everyone else's way who was at the memorial.  I was watching them and one kid caught my eye and figured out that I wasn't happy with them.  They all calmed down a bit (although the girl who initially screamed seemed to be having fun making faces at me), until the Union reenactors who were demonstrating how to load and fire muskets set off the first round.  Every round that was fired was greeted with piercing, terrifying shrieks from all five of them, and laughter in between.  They seemed to think it was really fun to see who would come over to see if they were okay every time a shriek was heard.  >:(

And this is why I visit Gettysburg during the off season.  The last time I was there during a reenactment was on Memorial Day the year Sarah Palin was scheduled to show up in her bus.  My walking stick almost became an agent of evil and my camera a weapon of mass desctruction

This is good to know.  DH would like to take a day and visit both Antietam and Gettysburg the next time my bff comes out and I know we'd both rather not have to deal with that kind of thing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

« Reply #22128 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »

This is good to know.  DH would like to take a day and visit both Antietam and Gettysburg the next time my bff comes out and I know we'd both rather not have to deal with that kind of thing.

Antietam is pretty good.  It never gets really too too busy.  I do a 9 mile lariat which knits together most of the trails in the park.  With Gettysburg, I highly recommend going during the week rather than the weekend.  I usually walk the battlefield rather than drive from place to place as the parking areas are pretty small on the battlefield.  I do a 9 mile loop, starting on the Northern side and ending with following Pickett's charge across the field to the High Water Mark.

I highly recommend a battlefield guide if you can swing it, especially at Gettysburg.  PM me if you would like a link to my trail maps
My Photography Gallery

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #22129 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Would you mind starting a thread on it?  I regularly spend my weekends glued to CSPAN3/American History TV.

:)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #22130 on: July 08, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
Would you mind starting a thread on it?  I regularly spend my weekends glued to CSPAN3/American History TV.

:)

On Gettysburg and Antietam?  Or hiking national parks and battlefields?
My Photography Gallery

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #22131 on: July 08, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
Either or both.  I'd love to do those tours while I'm still ambulatory.  :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22132 on: July 08, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »
Friday afternoon, I stopped at Whole Foods market to get some items. I needed to get a bunch of flowers replaced, since they had dropped all their petals two days after purchase, and while I was waiting my turn at customer service, a woman came up to complain about a particular shopper who brings her dog into the store. This is a small dog, with no harness or collar that identifies the dog as a service or therapy animal.

The manager finally locates the shopper with the dog, asks her to leave and to never bring the dog in again. I finished my shopping (and sampling) and was heading out the door when another shopper came in with a dog! It is posted on the entrance and exit that only service animals are permitted, no pets. It is against health laws in my state to have non-service animals in a grocery store or restaurant.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22133 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
A little Whole Foods Snowflake humor... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Miss Tickle

« Reply #22134 on: July 08, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »
My daughter, now 20, could not be left in the toy section of any store, because she insisted on putting everything in its place, and organizing it. Unfortunately, that tendency did not (and does not now) extend to her room at home.

Apparently when I was a toddler, I wandered over to a shoe store and began straightening all the shoes on display.

Yeah, my kids did that too.

I still do it in book stores.  I'll be looking at a table of bargain books and find myself neatening the
piles.  I suppose it's the librarian gene coming out.

We hit up a church-sale last weekend and over and over again I heard, "Oh, you can stay as long as you'd like", or "You can come back anytime!". I asked the first lady why she said that, and she replied, "You're the only person who folded anything back up!"

Retail, baby.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #22135 on: July 09, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »
Friday afternoon, I stopped at Whole Foods market to get some items. I needed to get a bunch of flowers replaced, since they had dropped all their petals two days after purchase, and while I was waiting my turn at customer service, a woman came up to complain about a particular shopper who brings her dog into the store. This is a small dog, with no harness or collar that identifies the dog as a service or therapy animal.

The manager finally locates the shopper with the dog, asks her to leave and to never bring the dog in again. I finished my shopping (and sampling) and was heading out the door when another shopper came in with a dog! It is posted on the entrance and exit that only service animals are permitted, no pets. It is against health laws in my state to have non-service animals in a grocery store or restaurant.

So, so inappropriate.  I don't know why people think their dogs are welcome anywhere.  I only bring mine to the park, the vet's, the pet store and other animal-related places.  They're not service dogs and I would DEFINITELY never bring them into a grocery or restaurant.  No no no.  This really gets under my skin, it makes all us dog owners look like clueless SS's. (essesses?)
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Jocelyn

« Reply #22136 on: July 09, 2013, 12:54:26 AM »

So, so inappropriate.  I don't know why people think their dogs are welcome anywhere.  I only bring mine to the park, the vet's, the pet store and other animal-related places.  They're not service dogs and I would DEFINITELY never bring them into a grocery or restaurant.  No no no.  This really gets under my skin, it makes all us dog owners look like clueless SS's. (essesses?)
And then, over at People of Walmart, you can see a rainbow of species of creatures that someone will bring into Walmart.
Your parrot, rabbit, or snake doesn't want to shop with you, folks.

drzim

« Reply #22137 on: July 09, 2013, 01:45:59 AM »

This is a huge pet peeve of mine.  In my area, people take advantage of the law and every dog apparently is a "service dog".  When I see them in Macy's, it bugs me, but I can ignore it.  But when I see people walking their dogs in the grocery store, YUCK!  And yes, I'm 99% sure most of these dogs are not service dogs. I have worked with dog trainers and rescue groups.  I can spot a well-trained dog.

I had to stop going to my favorite cafe because there was an older woman who decided it was okay for her to come into the cafe with her chihuahua in a baby bjorn.  Even though there was a big sign on the door indicating that it was a food service area and no pets were allowed (except service dogs), it was never enforced.  Anyhow, this woman would sit with another woman in the cafe and the dog, since she was wearing it on her chest, would be at just table height. And yes, this dog would be scratching at the table with its paws and licking the table. Why the employees there did not ask her to leave I'll never know.   After seeing this woman several times, I started going somewhere else for my morning coffee.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22138 on: July 09, 2013, 07:47:06 AM »
Last night at a book signing, there were quite a few SS's around. 

First, I thought the bookstore that arranged the signing was a bit SS.  They gave almost no details about the actual signing out, so most of the people I talked to didn't realize that they had to buy a copy of the book at one particular bookstore, but that the signing would be in a different city (granted, the cities are both part of the greater metro area, but still...it's a weird detail to leave out!).  When I tried asking the staff at the bookstore for some more information, I was given a piece of paper with the comment, "Here's everything you need to know!" and the salesperson walked off. 

Second, the details that we were given said something to the effect of "the author will sign all copies of *book that just came out* and one other item".  Apparently this was a challenge and some people were showing up with stacks of 8-12 copies of the book that just came out!  After seeing some of the stacks, I wasn't surprised when the author mentioned he'd been up until 3 am at the last signing. 

The last SS I saw before leaving actually was heard before I saw it.  Throughout the author's reading and Q&A session, there was what sounded like a husky talking in the theater.  The author had mentioned that his dog was backstage, so that's what I assumed was the noise.  Turned out someone had the worst trained "service dog" ever at the signing.  It was a husky, wearing a service vest.  The husky talked, tried to make friends with people by shoving its nose into their faces, and was barely leash trained, since it was towing the owner down the aisle!  The guy holding the husky's leash didn't apologize to anyone for his ill-trained dog.  Someone said something (I was a few rows away and didn't hear what) and the guy responded by flipping the other person off. 

That was the point at which I left.  I really wanted to meet the author, but I really didn't want to spend the time needed (or deal with the SS people!).  They had stacks of signed books out front that you could exchange your book for, and I ended up doing that. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #22139 on: July 09, 2013, 08:29:13 AM »
We had a SS-service-animalus on our recent trip. DP has a legitimate service animal, well trained (how many dogs will sit still on a lap while their human is getting communion? Or sit at a table while their human is eating lunch and never move? Our dog. Good boy!) and he wears a vest with a photo ID (from our vet's office) that has his shot records, identifying info, etc. We haven't had any problems traveling with him, and he is welcome (and a little fawned over) most everywhere we take him. Enter the SS people. They had a 'service animal' with them on this church conference trip. No vest. Wouldn't sit still. Lifted a leg on a chair DURING WORSHIP. Barked at the ushers, and forget communion - his owner had to remove him. Then they had the audacity to complain to the hotel staff that our dog was allowed to stay and they were asked to leave with him on day 2 - after he'd kept half a floor up all night barking every time someone moved outside the room (they were near the elevators, with traffic past the door all night). They apparently decamped to a more 'animal friendly' hotel nearby, but kept shooting us dirty looks all week.

The kicker? At the first day's 'accessibility needs' seminar, where we were encouraged to ask questions related to accessibility needs, the owner of said 'service animal' stated that the dog was a 'companion animal'; in other words - a pet. No owner disability as far as they stated - didn't ask for interpreters, no visible disability, didn't ask to be seated in the special needs section, didn't ask for a key to the 'decompression' room they set up for people with panic disorders, nothing. I think they just didn't want to board their pet.

I was very proud of our non-SS service dog, though. Not every service dog can get calm about people coming up to him and petting him without warning - but apparently, a six pound poodle in a shirt, even if he's wearing a service vest and sitting in the lap of someone in a wheelchair, is fair game for all sorts of attention. He was just as you'd hope - calm, accepting of whatever happened, no growling or biting, and totally ignored everyone when he could.