Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5537284 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22155 on: July 09, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »
Why didn't Grandma drive the kids home?  That seems like the logical thing to do if their mother is too lazy to do it.

Xandraea

« Reply #22156 on: July 09, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
Last night at a book signing, there were quite a few SS's around. 

First, I thought the bookstore that arranged the signing was a bit SS.  They gave almost no details about the actual signing out, so most of the people I talked to didn't realize that they had to buy a copy of the book at one particular bookstore, but that the signing would be in a different city (granted, the cities are both part of the greater metro area, but still...it's a weird detail to leave out!).  When I tried asking the staff at the bookstore for some more information, I was given a piece of paper with the comment, "Here's everything you need to know!" and the salesperson walked off. 

Second, the details that we were given said something to the effect of "the author will sign all copies of *book that just came out* and one other item".  Apparently this was a challenge and some people were showing up with stacks of 8-12 copies of the book that just came out!  After seeing some of the stacks, I wasn't surprised when the author mentioned he'd been up until 3 am at the last signing. 

The last SS I saw before leaving actually was heard before I saw it.  Throughout the author's reading and Q&A session, there was what sounded like a husky talking in the theater.  The author had mentioned that his dog was backstage, so that's what I assumed was the noise.  Turned out someone had the worst trained "service dog" ever at the signing.  It was a husky, wearing a service vest.  The husky talked, tried to make friends with people by shoving its nose into their faces, and was barely leash trained, since it was towing the owner down the aisle!  The guy holding the husky's leash didn't apologize to anyone for his ill-trained dog.  Someone said something (I was a few rows away and didn't hear what) and the guy responded by flipping the other person off. 

That was the point at which I left.  I really wanted to meet the author, but I really didn't want to spend the time needed (or deal with the SS people!).  They had stacks of signed books out front that you could exchange your book for, and I ended up doing that.

I was there too!! I saw that husky on my way in, laying down behaving itself at that time, and I thought, "What a beautiful dog!" .. I was sitting all the way across the place and could hear it barking later, and figured it had limited patience, was bored and uncomfortable in the heat (I know I was uncomfortable .. the first gasp of air was so welcome after spending over 4 hours in there!).  What a SS the guy was though to not have control over the dog and to be rude to those who suggested he should have.  As soon as it started making noise he should have removed it from the theater if he couldn't get it under control.  It's a real disservice to a service dog to not train it to deal with all situations.

I was impressed how many people stayed in their seats and chatted with those nearby while waiting for the ages it took to file all those people through the line.  They did bring out a fan to aim at the line on the stairs, which made that brief part of the wait a bit more tolerable, but it was a long wait.  I was with my cousin who was so very excited to meet him so I waited with her and it was a treat getting the few moments close to him, but it was a relief to get out of there after that.

He said there were 3x the people at the signing the night before .. one item per person in that case would be more than enough, but wow.. a dozen copies of the same book from one fan? I wonder how many will end up on ebay :/

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #22157 on: July 09, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
SS-Announcements-Don't Apply-To-Me.

We have signs posted on our doors and throughout the office, but we have also taken to making announcements towards the end of the day.  It is summer here at the DMV and it is crazy busy.  We lock the doors at 5pm, but we still wait on everyone who is in the lobby.  We have 2 announcements: (1) We are locking the door at 5 pm, and there will be absolutely no admittance into the office once it is locked.  If you need something in your car, go get it now.  (2) We do not hand out tests after 4:30 pm.  If you need to take a test, come up to the person making the announcement so we can get you started NOW on your test.

First announcements are at 4:30.  Repeated at 4:45 (except that it is now too late to start a test).  Repeated at 4:55.  Doors locked at 5.

So, last week, woman tries to slide into the office as someone exits.  The customer leaving even tries to block her entrance because he has heard the announcements several times.  Finally the floor supervisor goes to the door.  The woman went outside to smoke a cigarette, but now she wants back in.  She was here before 5 pm.  "If you were here before 5," super says, "you heard me announce that I would not let anyone back in even if you had been present before."  Oh, yes, she heard it, but she really needed a smoke.

Last night, at 5:15, I call the next to the last customer up.  He needs to take a test to get a chauffeur's announcement.  Didn't he hear the announcement that he was too late?  Yes, but he really needed it.  He had to be in court first thing in the morning with a chauffeur's license or he was going to jail. 

The answer to both was no.  If we make an announcement that says you can't do A or B, that means no A or B.  If you absolutely have to have a smoke, come up and say something!  If I know what you are doing, then I will make arrangements.  It is the making a unilateral decision and trying to get us to abide by your decision that drives me nuts.

And, sir, the one who needed the chauffeur's license?  I doubt that you received your court summons at 4:55 pm and rushed over to us.  You have known for a while that you needed this, and I refuse to scramble to rectify your poor planning.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22158 on: July 09, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
That reminds me..when I was a test proctor, testing was held from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m, with the last available test start time being 12:00. They were IT certification tests, and some of them took a few hours to take. I had to start telling people that they could not come in to take a test at 2:50, because testing was supposed to be *finished* by 3:00 p.m. We had posted available times for tests, and none of those start times was after 12:00. Yet, people would still come in to the test center to try and take a test 10 minutes before the test center closed for the day. Outside testers had to schedule their test online, but we allowed our students to "walk in" to see if there was an available seat for them without a prior appointment, as long as they understood that just showing up didn't mean they'd get to take the test and it was better to schedule it ahead of time, and if they turned up after the last available test time they would not be allowed to take their test.

We'd also have students schedule a test for 12:00 and then stroll in at 2:00, thinking they'd figured out a way to "beat" the rules. All that did was cause their voucher to get voided. If a test wasn't cancelled before the scheduled start time, the voucher was used regardless, and at $200 per voucher it was in their best interest to show up. Students got one voucher per certification as part of their tuition. If they failed a test or voided their voucher by not showing up, they had to pay for a new one.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22159 on: July 09, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »
This happened before I was born: One of my cousins had a ~quirky~ girlfriend ( ::)) for a while. My parents invited them over to dinner. Mom had made a cake and frosting completely from scratch. The girlfriend picked up a bottle of ketchup and decided it would be a hilarious prank to dump ketchup all over the cake. She was told by all three not to do it, but didn't want to relent; the only reason she gave up was because Mom said "I spent a lot of time and money on that cake. If you ruin it with ketchup, you will either sit here and eat the entire thing or fork over money right now to pay me back. What's it gonna be ?"

This reminds me of a time where a client and I were doing training at her company and were going to get pizzas for everyone for lunch.  We asked what kinds of pizza's people wanted and one of the guys who was always a bit mouthy (who also worked at her company) said "Anchovy."    We ordered a variety of pizzas including an Anchovy pizza. When everyone came to get their slices, the mouthy guy didn't go to the anchovy.  So my client said "I thought you said you wanted anchovy" and basically waited until he meekly picked a slice.

Shalamar

« Reply #22160 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
That sounds like when Bart Simpson ordered "deep-fried squid, extra tentacles" and refused to eat it when he saw it!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22161 on: July 09, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Most classes at my university are on the honor system for attendance, in that roll isn't called and the professor only knows you weren't present if a test or quiz is done that day. It is not that way in the nursing college, if you are late for class or miss a class your first semester (without a documented emergency), you are put on probation, and if you miss two classes you are dropped from the program. While that is strict and could be considered harsh, timeliness is a very important life skill.

The amount of whining these students do about the policies they agreed to is pathetic.

MissRose

« Reply #22162 on: July 09, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
SS-Announcements-Don't Apply-To-Me.

We have signs posted on our doors and throughout the office, but we have also taken to making announcements towards the end of the day.  It is summer here at the DMV and it is crazy busy.  We lock the doors at 5pm, but we still wait on everyone who is in the lobby.  We have 2 announcements: (1) We are locking the door at 5 pm, and there will be absolutely no admittance into the office once it is locked.  If you need something in your car, go get it now.  (2) We do not hand out tests after 4:30 pm.  If you need to take a test, come up to the person making the announcement so we can get you started NOW on your test.

First announcements are at 4:30.  Repeated at 4:45 (except that it is now too late to start a test).  Repeated at 4:55.  Doors locked at 5.

So, last week, woman tries to slide into the office as someone exits.  The customer leaving even tries to block her entrance because he has heard the announcements several times.  Finally the floor supervisor goes to the door.  The woman went outside to smoke a cigarette, but now she wants back in.  She was here before 5 pm.  "If you were here before 5," super says, "you heard me announce that I would not let anyone back in even if you had been present before."  Oh, yes, she heard it, but she really needed a smoke.

Last night, at 5:15, I call the next to the last customer up.  He needs to take a test to get a chauffeur's announcement.  Didn't he hear the announcement that he was too late?  Yes, but he really needed it.  He had to be in court first thing in the morning with a chauffeur's license or he was going to jail. 

The answer to both was no.  If we make an announcement that says you can't do A or B, that means no A or B.  If you absolutely have to have a smoke, come up and say something!  If I know what you are doing, then I will make arrangements.  It is the making a unilateral decision and trying to get us to abide by your decision that drives me nuts.

And, sir, the one who needed the chauffeur's license?  I doubt that you received your court summons at 4:55 pm and rushed over to us.  You have known for a while that you needed this, and I refuse to scramble to rectify your poor planning.

I work tech support, and my particular department has certain hours.  It really gets on my nerves and others I am sure when a customer calls in with about 5 minutes or less till closing time with a complicated issue (most of the time) that keeps the person past closing time.  Often, those who call in, it is often obvious they could have called sooner and many admit that they didn't get around to it.   I give SS bonus points to those who demand certain things to be done very late in the day when their request may not be processed until the next day as not all of us have access to certain tools then proceed to have fits when we explain.  I do not mind a call a few minutes before closing time for a very simple request though.

PeterM

« Reply #22163 on: July 10, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »

We get this at the library all the time, too.

"I need to print this right now! I have to be in court in fifteen minutes!"

You probably should have showed up earlier, then. Especially since you don't need to just print a single document, you have to get online and find one very long form whose ID number you don't recall, then fill it out, and THEN print it. And of course before that you're going to have to be taught to use these new-fangled computer-machines because you've never been within twenty feet of one before and it's freaking you out.

3angels

« Reply #22164 on: July 10, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
Why didn't Grandma drive the kids home?  That seems like the logical thing to do if their mother is too lazy to do it.

Grandma has lost 3 grandbabies in the last year. Last summer, BF's sister-in-law lost a set of twins at 30 weeks and BF's twin sister lost her special needs daughter the day after BF found out she was pregnant. Grandma & twin were terrified to leave BF for even a moment and BF wouldn't let her DH leave to take them home. Their mom finally showed up yesterday afternoon, grumbling, but she took them home.

On a happy note, baby finally made her appearance late last night and is healthy and gorgeous!!

lilfox

« Reply #22165 on: July 10, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »
I nominate my coworker for SS status.  In the most recent example, he talked to two other team members about temporarily but significantly changing our research schedule for his own personal reasons.  However, none of them has the authority to change the schedule, only I do, and he didn't say a word to me.  This happened the day before it was to be implemented.

On the day of, I heard about it and considered the idea before deciding we were not, in fact, going to change the schedule to suit one person's non-technical preference, certainly not at the last minute and without consulting me about it at all.

When the SS coworker showed up, he assumed it was a done deal and then got very upset with me for not changing it AND for not including him in that discussion.  I didn't bother to point out either the hypocrisy or ask why he didn't talk to me first.   ::)   He thinks we don't "like" him the minute he's not included in every single conversation, but like most snowflakes, he himself plays favorites and only tells some people some things (usually not work-related anyway).

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22166 on: July 10, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. Or why didn't you take them home when you left? I know it's not your problem, but there is no way those kids would have still been there when I left.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22167 on: July 10, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
The following exchange occurred on Facebook, with identities changed to protect the innocent:

Candy Lover: Oh my goodness, I am so addicted to this Facebook candy game!
Grumpy: Those games are designed to make idiots give their personal information to Facebook.
Sarcastic Friend: You mean like your name, contact information, job, education and the identities of most of your family and friends?
Candy Lover: Yeah, I'd be really upset to give up all that privacy.
Sarcastic Friend: Good thing none of us gave them all that information when we registered.
Grumpy: You don't have to be so mean about it!
Candy Lover: Dude, you called us all idiots.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #22168 on: July 10, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
The following exchange occurred on Facebook, with identities changed to protect the innocent:

Candy Lover: Oh my goodness, I am so addicted to this Facebook candy game!
Grumpy: Those games are designed to make idiots give their personal information to Facebook.
Sarcastic Friend: You mean like your name, contact information, job, education and the identities of most of your family and friends?
Candy Lover: Yeah, I'd be really upset to give up all that privacy.
Sarcastic Friend: Good thing none of us gave them all that information when we registered.
Grumpy: You don't have to be so mean about it!
Candy Lover: Dude, you called us all idiots.

Am I going to see a screenshot of that convo on failbook later?
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22169 on: July 10, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Is there anyone anymore who *doesn't* realize priority #1 for Facebook is data harvesting?