Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5297186 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22170 on: July 10, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
The following exchange occurred on Facebook, with identities changed to protect the innocent:

Candy Lover: Oh my goodness, I am so addicted to this Facebook candy game!
Grumpy: Those games are designed to make idiots give their personal information to Facebook.
Sarcastic Friend: You mean like your name, contact information, job, education and the identities of most of your family and friends?
Candy Lover: Yeah, I'd be really upset to give up all that privacy.
Sarcastic Friend: Good thing none of us gave them all that information when we registered.
Grumpy: You don't have to be so mean about it!
Candy Lover: Dude, you called us all idiots.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #22171 on: July 10, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
The following exchange occurred on Facebook, with identities changed to protect the innocent:

Candy Lover: Oh my goodness, I am so addicted to this Facebook candy game!
Grumpy: Those games are designed to make idiots give their personal information to Facebook.
Sarcastic Friend: You mean like your name, contact information, job, education and the identities of most of your family and friends?
Candy Lover: Yeah, I'd be really upset to give up all that privacy.
Sarcastic Friend: Good thing none of us gave them all that information when we registered.
Grumpy: You don't have to be so mean about it!
Candy Lover: Dude, you called us all idiots.

Am I going to see a screenshot of that convo on failbook later?
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22172 on: July 10, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Is there anyone anymore who *doesn't* realize priority #1 for Facebook is data harvesting?

Shalamar

« Reply #22173 on: July 10, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
That reminds me of when a new employee started working in my department.   During his very first coffee break, we had this exchange - the topic was credit cards:

Me:  I have to admit, I currently owe a fair bit on my cards, and I've had to pay some interest.
Him:  Anyone who pays credit card companies interest is an idiot.

Now, I'm certainly not going to argue the point that buying stuff you can't afford isn't very smart, but to paraphrase the previous post - DUDE, you just called me an idiot!   ???

That guy had no social skills whatsoever, and we all disliked him.  I was very glad when his probationary period expired and he wasn't asked to stay on.

Hillia

« Reply #22174 on: July 10, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »

I work tech support, and my particular department has certain hours.  It really gets on my nerves and others I am sure when a customer calls in with about 5 minutes or less till closing time with a complicated issue (most of the time) that keeps the person past closing time.  Often, those who call in, it is often obvious they could have called sooner and many admit that they didn't get around to it.   I give SS bonus points to those who demand certain things to be done very late in the day when their request may not be processed until the next day as not all of us have access to certain tools then proceed to have fits when we explain.  I do not mind a call a few minutes before closing time for a very simple request though.

Reminds me of my tech support days.  I was working 3-11 shift, but stuck around to take 'one last call' at 11 as the incoming shift was getting settled in (since we shared workstations between shifts, there was always a little chaos at shift change).  The woman on the phone was having a hard time uploading a new web page.  She was using a standard ftp program (ftp is the method used to transfer files to/from the internet), so I tried it several times and had no problem.  So I started walking her through the settings on her computer.

Hillia:  Now, where is says 'destination', do you see this number?  123.111.11.1?
Customer: Yes
Hillia: and in 'username', does it say 'CustomerName'?
Hillia: and in 'password', are you typing 'CustomerPassword'?

She can't get it to work.  I go through the info again and again, having her check for spaces, cap locks, etc, and while I can move files with no problem, she cannot.  After fifteen minutes of this, she says, 'Oh!  In 'Destination', should it say 123..111.11.1?'  Remember that she has confirmed to me no less than 5 or 6 times that that is what is entered in that field.  She'd been totally ignoring all of my questions the whole time, just saying 'yes...yes...yes' every time.  Even when I asked her to read back what her screen said, she just repeated what I had told her rather than actually reading the screen.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

snowdragon

« Reply #22175 on: July 10, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
When I go to music lessons, I wait practically til start time in my car...because one SS family has to have each non lesson taking kid sitting on the benches and next to them ON the benches ( not in the kid's arms or their laps, ect) the kids stuffed animal ---and they get offended if you ask to sit down, so for one kid taking lessons, there are mom, dad, 3 siblings and 3 stuffed animals taking up the seating. Sometimes they will have a parent stand while one or more of the kids, lays down on the benches.   I have found it easier to wait in my car and sit rather than stand while waiting.
  So today I got there early enough that I snagged a parking spot right in front of the door to the shop... I was sitting there on the phone, when someone comes up and pounds on the window. I stop my call and crack the window so I can here what the guy wants...He TELLS me to move my car so he can have that spot. I tell him no, and go back to my call. He hits the window again and tells me to move. again I refuse. So he pulls in the recently opened up spot in front of me - and backs so close to me that his bumper is touching mine.
  I went in alerted the staff that someone would be coming in who was that ticked and why, and went into my lesson. Since I had an hour long violin lesson and then a half hour piano lesson after that the guy was gone went I came out, but really, you have to have *that* spot or else? I am still shaking my head at it.

Addy

« Reply #22176 on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
Oh, Snowdragon, I've always wanted to take violin lessons! Did you start as a child or as an adult? How difficult is it to learn?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22177 on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
I was sitting there on the phone, when someone comes up and pounds on the window. I stop my call and crack the window so I can here what the guy wants...He TELLS me to move my car so he can have that spot. I tell him no, and go back to my call. He hits the window again and tells me to move.
He sounds frightening. I would have called the police at this point.  I would be worried that he would damage my vehicle while I was in my lesson.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22178 on: July 10, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »
Oh, Snowdragon, I've always wanted to take violin lessons! Did you start as a child or as an adult? How difficult is it to learn?
I took violin lessons when I was in grade school (5th through 8th grade).  It was very difficult for me and I'm sure it was painful for my family to listen to me practicing.   In the beginning, they put pieces of tape on the neck of the violin where you are supposed to put your fingers.  After a year, the student is supposed to know where to put their fingers by listening.  Unfortunately, I think I am tone deaf.  I couldn't find the "right spot" without the tape.

My best friend in high school was dyslexic.  We joked that my playing the piano was similar to her typing: We tried to hit the right notes/keys, but we couldn't tell when we hit the wrong note/key.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #22179 on: July 10, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
I work in IT support, providing services to internal “customers”.  At one time, we had 24x7 staffing, but the company decided it was cheaper to have a single oncall person handle any requests outside of normal working hours, which are 8-5 Central time. Being oncall is a horrible experience, with one person trying to handle multiple simultaneous calls from home. 

One user repeatedly submitted complicated time-consuming requests at 5:15 p.m.  She is notorious for not doing the preliminary work that makes our job go smoothly.  Her requests had to be handled by our oncall person.

I wrote her a very nice email, letting her know that she’d get better response if she submitted her requests earlier in the day.  She now submits them at 4:55. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

snowdragon

« Reply #22180 on: July 11, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »

I started as an adult.  It is quite difficult, although I would urge everyone who wants lessons to take them. I see you are in Canada, if you are in the GTA look up Sandy MacIntyre ( http://www.sandymacintyre.com/) who can either teach you or set you up with a teacher who fits the style you want to learn. If you are in NS - Try the Cape Breton Fiddle Association to help find a teacher. There is no reason why being an adult should stop you from learning. If you want to chat about it - PM me. :)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #22181 on: July 11, 2013, 01:41:03 AM »
Ah, kiddie movie snowflakes.  :(

I went to see Despicable Me 2 the other day. I tried to find a time and showing that would hopefully have the least amount of small children present, but somehow ended up with a tiny child sat next to me, whose mother insisted on conversing loudly with her darling precious all throughout the first hour of the movie in a loud sing-song talking-to-a-small-child voice. "LOOK AT THE MAN! ISN'T HE FUNNY! LOOK, HE'S WEARING A PRINCESS DRESS!"

I say that she conversed for the first hour of the movie because she finally left an hour in (with her two tiny toddlers in tow). Early on in the movie there is a very short scene were a bunny gets injected with something that makes it big and purple and aggressive. The little girl next to be FREAKED out at this and kept going on and on "MOMMY! I WANNA GO HOME! I DONT WANNA WATCH THIS! THE BUNNY! THE BUNNY!". Mommy snowflake refused to take her terrified child out of the movie because she wanted to watch the movie and noogies to everyone else (and her small crying terrified child). The movie has some scary scenes in it (mostly just ominous in tone, rather than content) and everytime things got a bit ominous the little girl would keep freaking out about "THE BUNNY! I DONT LIKE THE BUNNY! MOMMY, THE BUNNY". For the record, there were no other bunnies in the movie except for that one 5 second scene right near the start.

The final straw was a scene that frankly was probably too intense and scary for a small child, and the little girl utterly lost it. Finally, finally, Mommy snowflake grabbed her two children and left, and I got to see the last 20 minutes in peace.

For the record, all of the other children in the cinema were very well behaved, and the only child I even noticed was the one freaking out right next to me for the first hour. <sigh>  I HATE HATE HATE movie cinemas.  :(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

HorseFreak

« Reply #22182 on: July 11, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »
I also made the mistake of seeing Monsters University the other day in the theater. I always arrive early to get a good seat since I like to be dead center. I was the only one there with 10 minutes until showtime. 5 minutes later a woman and her approximately 4-5 year old daughter arrive and sit RIGHT BEHIND my right shoulder out of 209 remaining seats. I really wouldn't mind if the woman hadn't kept up a commentary to the kid who was actually pretty quiet after getting scared by a loud preview. At one point I turned around and looked at her and she finally stopped making inane comments.

Seriously, if you're going to talk through a movie in a nearly empty theater don't sit where your voice has optimal penetration into someone else's ear!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22183 on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
That happened to a friend and I when we went to see, I think, one of the Shrek movies. While I get that during any kid's movies there will be lots of kids, some of them simply aren't ready to sit through an entire movie without making a fuss.

We saw kids running up and down the stairs (Tiered seating) talking, screeching, and generally being distruptive. But there were other kids who sat through the whole movie, without nary a peep.

What got me was when I was commenting on this to several people, they pointed out but it's a KIDS movie. Why yes it is, but that doens't give them the right to disrupt those of us (kids and adults) who might actually want to watch the movie. I say if your child can't sit through one, then wait until they can.

Even when I try and go when I think there will be the least amount of people, there are always some that annoy me, so I've just stopped going to the movies altogether. I just don't enjoy it anymore.

cattlekid

« Reply #22184 on: July 11, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
For movies where the target audience is kids, I tend to go to the 9:00 PM or 10:00 PM showing for the aforementioned reasons.