Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5648418 times)

PeterM

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22245 on: July 14, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
I remember  'Carrie'.  It scared the Deity out of me and I was studying film at the time. 

People were used to a 'releasing image' at the end of a disturbing film.  The car being dragged out of the swamp at the end of 'Psycho' is a good example.  'Carrie' gave the audience just the opposite.

For me, a relaxing image at the end of a film automatically means a set-up for Jason to leap out of the water or something. Apparently I'm jaded.

Carrie was one of the first movies to do that, though. Or at least the one that kicked off the trend in 70's and 80's horror flicks.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22246 on: July 14, 2013, 08:16:55 PM »
Not special snowflake as much as par for the course for this particular branch of the family . . .

Niece has a son who just turned 4 (a year younger than Babybartfast, who turns 5 in a few weeks).  She was a single teen mom when she had him and she's made some so-so life choices since and long story short, we don't see her much now that Crazy SIL has run off to California.  MIL only hears from her when she wants money (which is why we've stayed away).  She's a reasonably nice young woman, but she's done practically no parenting, so her son is one of the worst-behaved children I've ever had the misfortune to share a restaurant with.  (Followed closely by Crazy SIL, but I digress . . .)

So Niece had a birthday party for her son.  We weren't invited, but MIL and SIL2 were, and apparently Niece wasn't all that subtle about expecting some very fancy presents.  MIL "borrowed" Babybartfast for the afternoon so she and SIL2 could at least hang out with the kids at the party instead of drinking with Niece's friends the whole time.  Babybartfast picked out a modestly-priced-but-fun present and by all accounts had a good time.

But when MIL and SIL2 came to return her, SIL2 mentioned how much Niece was looking forward to Babybartfast's birthday party.

Me:  Uh . . . we're just having a small party here, for her friends.  Not really intended for a big family thing.

SIL2: Oh!  I didn't know that.  I told her I didn't know what y'all were planning but I was sure she and [Son] would be invited.

Me: Not really.  (With the unspoken suggestion "We weren't really planning for you tag along, either . . .")

So as far as I know, Niece has invited herself to Babybartfast's party.  Luckily, SIL2 didn't know where or when we're having it, so it's not like Niece can just show up, and MIL (for once) knew enough not to go formally issuing invites on our behalf.  I do expect MIL to show up, but telling her not to come would be like expecting the sun not to rise* so that's one I can live with.  If Niece bothers to ask me herself, I'll have to explain.  More likely, she'll ask MIL about the details, so I had to talk to MIL later and specifically tell her not to share the where/when.

And if all else fails, Niece will be surprised if she brings her son here and they are surrounded by the girliest "Princess party" I can throw together :-D

* Autocorrect changed that to "snot to rise."

Addy

« Reply #22247 on: July 15, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »

So, some kind of deer snot uprising?  ;) ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22248 on: July 15, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »

So, some kind of deer snot uprising?  ;) ;D

. . . and that just made me snort so hard I required a Kleenex  ;D

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22249 on: July 15, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
The law enforcement agencies that decided to use an out-of-the-way portion of campus to safely detonate explosives - very, very loudly.  Like, shook the windows of houses in neighborhoods nearby, loud.  They did not apparently bother alerting anyone to the fact that they'd be conducting the explosions during that time - my department only got informed about it at the last minute.  I ended up telling a caller that they were "blowing stuff up on purpose" - I was a little loopy from cold medicine today.

Oh, the poor dogs in your neighborhood. That's the kind of thing that leaves dogs terrified of thunderstorms!
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Shea

« Reply #22250 on: July 15, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »
Special Snowflake o' the Library:

Student came in today with an overdue recalled book (students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine). This guy had a recalled book that was overdue by nearly two weeks, so you can just do the math. It wasn't pretty. When I told him what the deal was, he got very annoyed, going on about how he hadn't seen the email and it was totally unreasonable, and so forth. After trying to calm him down for several minutes, I gave up and called my supervisor (honestly, I was slightly afraid this guy might get physical).

Supervisor, who is a master at dealing with these types of situations, came and talked to him, while I pretended to be immersed in my portion of the library's latest project (first weeding since the early 1980's. This is a topic for another post). It turns out that this guy (who, I might add, is a Ph.D. student in the sciences) only checks his university email every couple of weeks. Evidently, it is our fault that he didn't see the recall notice for two weeks because "You should have tried to contact me in some other way when I didn't return the book!"-direct quote. It went on in this vein for some time, getting increasingly Special, but my boss finally managed to get him to go away by giving him the library director's card and telling him to talk to him. Student left, but not before sputtering out several more aggrieved sentences, of which my favorite was "You're saying I should have to check my [university] email every day? That's ridiculous!" ::stomps out stage left::

Is it really only Monday?

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

nuit93

« Reply #22251 on: July 15, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »

Student came in today with an overdue recalled book (students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine). This guy had a recalled book that was overdue by nearly two weeks, so you can just do the math. It wasn't pretty. When I told him what the deal was, he got very annoyed, going on about how he hadn't seen the email and it was totally unreasonable, and so forth. After trying to calm him down for several minutes, I gave up and called my supervisor (honestly, I was slightly afraid this guy might get physical).

Supervisor, who is a master at dealing with these types of situations, came and talked to him, while I pretended to be immersed in my portion of the library's latest project (first weeding since the early 1980's. This is a topic for another post). It turns out that this guy (who, I might add, is a Ph.D. student in the sciences) only checks his university email every couple of weeks. Evidently, it is our fault that he didn't see the recall notice for two weeks because "You should have tried to contact me in some other way when I didn't return the book!"-direct quote. It went on in this vein for some time, getting increasingly Special, but my boss finally managed to get him to go away by giving him the library director's card and telling him to talk to him. Student left, but not before sputtering out several more aggrieved sentences, of which my favorite was "You're saying I should have to check my [university] email every day? That's ridiculous!" ::stomps out stage left::

I don't see what's so difficult about that, I used to have my auto-forward to my personal email.  Why couldn't the student have done that?

MindsEye

« Reply #22252 on: July 15, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

I could believe a story like this... if it took place in the very early 1990s when universities were still in the process of getting all of their students onto that newfangled email thing.

But today?  What student in 2013 doesn't check their email multiple times per day?????

Shea

« Reply #22253 on: July 15, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »

I could believe a story like this... if it took place in the very early 1990s when universities were still in the process of getting all of their students onto that newfangled email thing.

But today?  What student in 2013 doesn't check their email multiple times per day?????

I assure you, I did not make it up :P. He said he has another email that he uses and thus does not check his university one. Though why, as nuit93 suggested, he didn't just set up email forwarding is beyond me. I did suggest it, and hopefully he'll do it so we will avoid a third confrontation of this nature.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22254 on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
If he doesn't check his email, he could...oh, I don't know...look at the due date? ::)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22255 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
Oh, Shea.  I totally believe you.

When people are writing their dissertations they often get a little delusional and think that the library is their personal property and members of the library staff are their personal servants.

We had one who  hired an undergraduate student as a research assistant.  This young one also got infected with the attitude. 

One day, she arrived with a document.  It was a three page, two-sided, single -spaced list of references  that her employer needed to have checked.  She dropped it off at my desk and said, 'Professor X needs these references checked. I'm  going to lunch and I'll be back in about an hour.  You'll take care of this, won't you?'

E-HELL, NO!!!  ;D :o

You're the one being paid to do this work. Do it! 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22256 on: July 15, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
If he doesn't check his email, he could...oh, I don't know...look at the due date? ::)

Many libraries don't stamp the due dates on a card anymore, or they give out an (easily lost) receipt for the books.  My library sends emails with notices like "your books will be overdue in 3 days" as a courtesy.

stargazer159

« Reply #22257 on: July 15, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »
Shea said:

"(students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine)"

Are you saying that while a student has a book checked out another student can recall it and the student has to return the book earlier than the original due date or face a large fine?

snowdragon

« Reply #22258 on: July 15, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »

many - in my experience.  Sounds nuts, but I have even run into to students who do not know how to access their university mail.  Ours is gmail but the log in is different than normal gmail and some get "confused". 
Others simply refuse to  and others think that Angel/Blackboard are sufficient and never check.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22259 on: July 15, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
Shea said:

"(students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine)"

Are you saying that while a student has a book checked out another student can recall it and the student has to return the book earlier than the original due date or face a large fine?

Yes. However, university at my the due dates for some of these books are months away. I just checked out a stack of reference books due in October. I don't believe they can be recalled until a certain date, say a month or so, after they were checked out originally.