Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5049608 times)

stargazer159

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22260 on: July 15, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »
Shea said:

"(students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine)"

Are you saying that while a student has a book checked out another student can recall it and the student has to return the book earlier than the original due date or face a large fine?

snowdragon

« Reply #22261 on: July 15, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »
Special Snowflake o' the Library:

Student came in today with an overdue recalled book (students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine). This guy had a recalled book that was overdue by nearly two weeks, so you can just do the math. It wasn't pretty. When I told him what the deal was, he got very annoyed, going on about how he hadn't seen the email and it was totally unreasonable, and so forth. After trying to calm him down for several minutes, I gave up and called my supervisor (honestly, I was slightly afraid this guy might get physical).

Supervisor, who is a master at dealing with these types of situations, came and talked to him, while I pretended to be immersed in my portion of the library's latest project (first weeding since the early 1980's. This is a topic for another post). It turns out that this guy (who, I might add, is a Ph.D. student in the sciences) only checks his university email every couple of weeks. Evidently, it is our fault that he didn't see the recall notice for two weeks because "You should have tried to contact me in some other way when I didn't return the book!"-direct quote. It went on in this vein for some time, getting increasingly Special, but my boss finally managed to get him to go away by giving him the library director's card and telling him to talk to him. Student left, but not before sputtering out several more aggrieved sentences, of which my favorite was "You're saying I should have to check my [university] email every day? That's ridiculous!" ::stomps out stage left::

Is it really only Monday?

I could believe a story like this... if it took place in the very early 1990s when universities were still in the process of getting all of their students onto that newfangled email thing.

But today?  What student in 2013 doesn't check their email multiple times per day?????

many - in my experience.  Sounds nuts, but I have even run into to students who do not know how to access their university mail.  Ours is gmail but the log in is different than normal gmail and some get "confused". 
Others simply refuse to  and others think that Angel/Blackboard are sufficient and never check.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22262 on: July 15, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
Shea said:

"(students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine)"

Are you saying that while a student has a book checked out another student can recall it and the student has to return the book earlier than the original due date or face a large fine?

Yes. However, university at my the due dates for some of these books are months away. I just checked out a stack of reference books due in October. I don't believe they can be recalled until a certain date, say a month or so, after they were checked out originally.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22263 on: July 15, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »

But today?  What student in 2013 doesn't check their email multiple times per day?????

I've had students explain to me that email is obsolete, no one uses it anymore, they just check Facebook.
I tell them it's up to them, but they are responsible for checking for emails from me, and meeting any deadlines in them. Even if they think I'm an old dinosaur. I will NOT be posting on everyone's FB wall when I can do a whole-class email blast.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22264 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »
Shea said:

Yes- that was true at my alma mater.
But keep in mind, doc students and faculty were allowed to check out books for 4 months, and you could request the book back after the recall-er was done with it.
It would be a really unfair burden on students to have to wait for a book to come in if it were on semester loan.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22265 on: July 15, 2013, 11:30:25 PM »
Spotted an SS at the gas station today. She was standing in front of the outdoor display of propane tanks, smoking a cigarette. Keep in mind there were several big red signs saying "NO SMOKING. PROPANE IS FLAMMABLE." She walked away, later came back to smash the cigarette into the top of a trash can (next to the propane display), moved in front of the propane display to drop her cigarette and squashed it with her shoe

Cami

« Reply #22266 on: July 15, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »
Special Snowflake o' the Library:

Student came in today with an overdue recalled book (students can place recalls on books that are checked out, and the person who currently has them must return them by a certain date or get a $5/day fine). This guy had a recalled book that was overdue by nearly two weeks, so you can just do the math. It wasn't pretty. When I told him what the deal was, he got very annoyed, going on about how he hadn't seen the email and it was totally unreasonable, and so forth. After trying to calm him down for several minutes, I gave up and called my supervisor (honestly, I was slightly afraid this guy might get physical).

Supervisor, who is a master at dealing with these types of situations, came and talked to him, while I pretended to be immersed in my portion of the library's latest project (first weeding since the early 1980's. This is a topic for another post). It turns out that this guy (who, I might add, is a Ph.D. student in the sciences) only checks his university email every couple of weeks. Evidently, it is our fault that he didn't see the recall notice for two weeks because "You should have tried to contact me in some other way when I didn't return the book!"-direct quote. It went on in this vein for some time, getting increasingly Special, but my boss finally managed to get him to go away by giving him the library director's card and telling him to talk to him. Student left, but not before sputtering out several more aggrieved sentences, of which my favorite was "You're saying I should have to check my [university] email every day? That's ridiculous!" ::stomps out stage left::

Is it really only Monday?

I could believe a story like this... if it took place in the very early 1990s when universities were still in the process of getting all of their students onto that newfangled email thing.

Email is so 2006.

Yes, that is what the students I work with tell me. That and "email is for old people."

Students use FB, Twitter, Tumbler, Instagram, and most of all texting to communicate. Email is for old people and official communications.  Most of them check it perhaps once a week, if that.

I can tell you with my own dd, if I have to send her an email (which is only to attach an important document to it), I have to send her a message on FB or Twitter for her to check her email. She's the norm, in my experience.

greencat

« Reply #22267 on: July 16, 2013, 12:38:41 AM »
Spotted an SS at the gas station today. She was standing in front of the outdoor display of propane tanks, smoking a cigarette. Keep in mind there were several big red signs saying "NO SMOKING. PROPANE IS FLAMMABLE." She walked away, later came back to smash the cigarette into the top of a trash can (next to the propane display), moved in front of the propane display to drop her cigarette and squashed it with her shoe

Back when I worked for a grocery store, the particular store had just installed a rack of propane tanks in front of the store.  I had a rather frustrating conversation with a smoker who didn't want to move away from the store entrance - he had always smoked in front of the store, and how dare I ask him to move away?  I had to point out the explosive potential of the brand new tanks of flammable gas he was standing in front of...

snowdragon

« Reply #22268 on: July 16, 2013, 12:49:51 AM »

She should be charged with anything the authorities can use against her ....if those tanks had gone the results would have been deadly. Just google buffalo,ny and propane explosion to see what I mean

Shea

« Reply #22269 on: July 16, 2013, 07:57:51 AM »
Shea said:

Yes- that was true at my alma mater.
But keep in mind, doc students and faculty were allowed to check out books for 4 months, and you could request the book back after the recall-er was done with it.
It would be a really unfair burden on students to have to wait for a book to come in if it were on semester loan.

Yes, exactly. Book loan at my university is 6 months for grad students and a year for faculty. If a student needed a book and it was out to a professor, they'd be out of luck if they couldn't recall it. The recall policy is clearly stated on the library website, as well as on the due date slip that is printed out and given to students when the book is checked out. They're guaranteed at least 2 weeks with the book (if someone puts a recall on it as soon as the student check it out) and are given a week's notice when the book is recalled.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:02:35 AM by Shea »

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22270 on: July 16, 2013, 08:01:37 AM »

She should be charged with anything the authorities can use against her ....if those tanks had gone the results would have been deadly. Just google buffalo,ny and propane explosion to see what I mean

Yep. You do not want to mess with propane like that. What an idiot.

BarensMom

« Reply #22271 on: July 16, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »

My father drove a propane truck for many years - he was well-known for driving around with a cigar in his mouth.  People would contact his manager, who would pull more of his hair out, but couldn't say anything to Dad, since he was only chewing on them, not smoking them.  It was a habit that developed since he couldn't smoke on the truck.

mmswm

« Reply #22272 on: July 16, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »

My father drove a propane truck for many years - he was well-known for driving around with a cigar in his mouth.  People would contact his manager, who would pull more of his hair out, but couldn't say anything to Dad, since he was only chewing on them, not smoking them.  It was a habit that developed since he couldn't smoke on the truck.

Ex-bf is a trucker and developed that same habit when he was hauling hazmat. It used to drive his boss nuts as well. Now that he is hauling produce his boss us annoyed that he smokes in the truck.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22273 on: July 17, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
On the way home I encountered the most special of special snowflakes.

Ms. Snowflake (MS) was in front of me, driving slowly and drifting from the edges of her lane. I went to pass her, as I had room, and glanced over to see her using both hands on her smart phone. Once I passed her, she suddenly accelerated, coming within 6" of my rear bumper. She had all the hallmarks of an aggressive driver, and tried to pass on the shoulder a few times. Once the road widened to three lanes, MS began to change lanes from the left to the far right and back, where she nearly clipped two cars. This continued all the way down the road, about 8 miles.

I called our reckless driver reporting line on my hands-free device and reported her car, license tag number and the description of her behavior.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22274 on: July 17, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
I saw this two days ago.

We are in a *large* resort in Orlando, Florida - lots of people walking everywhere (pools, miniature golf, and similar activities).  They don't tend to use the sidewalks....they use the streets.

The streets in the area of the high rises are narrow with parking on the sides - so there is technically room for two lanes of traffic (one each way) and ONE pedestrian on one side - no more than one and not on both sides, for safety's sake.

Family on the other side of the road walking toward us - two adults in front, other people behind in a loose cluster, a car slowly passing them, and we are heading the other direction - there is room enough for all of us to be safe - no small children in the group likely to run sideways into traffic and no beach balls to drop that would roll into traffic.

But - there is a speedy little sports car going faster than the speed limit coming up BEHIND the car that pulls into the oncoming lane toward us, then cuts back in front of the slower car with barely three feet to spare behind himself or in front of himself (I was panicking and pressing the floor of our vehicle - as I was NOT driving).

Then speedy little sports car whipped on up the road and out of the resort, in a really big hurry to do something "off campus".  No one was hurt - but I'm not the only one with a few new gray hairs, I'm sure.  There wasn't much more than 1 1/2 cars length between the two of us using the road before Speedy had to make a flying exit.....I wish he'd been flying a broom!  It would have been safer if he could have gained a bit of altitude!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?