Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5650272 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22290 on: July 18, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
In my town, the police quite often do a blitz in the courthouse parking lot.  You would be amazed at the number of people who drive themselves to court, lose their license in the court proceedings and then climb into their cars to drive home!

You know though, I've always honestly thought that was a little unfair.  Not everyone has someone available to drive them to and from court and no doubt some of those people really didn't think their licenses would be revoked.  If they drove TO the courthouse appropriately licensed, I think they should be allowed to return home the same way they got there.

It almost seems like a mean trick.

If they lost their license, there's a reason for it, and it's not really a surprise except for the most special of snowflakes. And if they're going to drive home illegally from the courthouse, there's probably a statistical likelihood that they'll be driving elsewhere illegally, too.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22291 on: July 18, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
In my town, the police quite often do a blitz in the courthouse parking lot.  You would be amazed at the number of people who drive themselves to court, lose their license in the court proceedings and then climb into their cars to drive home!

You know though, I've always honestly thought that was a little unfair.  Not everyone has someone available to drive them to and from court and no doubt some of those people really didn't think their licenses would be revoked.  If they drove TO the courthouse appropriately licensed, I think they should be allowed to return home the same way they got there.

They should have thought of that before they did whatever they did that got their license revoked.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22292 on: July 18, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »
Special Snowflake Loudmouth Blah-Blah-Blah...

Last night, thanks to the magic of a bad patch job of maintenance trying to alleviate the no air conditioning problem, several breakers shut down and crashed all the public computers.  If you happened to be on the internet when this happened, you were able to stay on.  If, however, you wanted to log into the computer, you were denied access and if you wanted to print anything, the system that allowed you to do so was gone.

It is important to remember that you get two hours on the computer using your library card and more if you want to pay for guest passes.

One patron who had just signed up and was denied access came charging out to the desk and began screaming at us.  This lady is considered a "big name" community activist although most people will agree they have no idea what it is she has actually DONE.  She's sort of famous for being famous...like Rula Lenska, only on a much smaller, citywide scale. 

She starts hollering at me and my two coworkers how we are stealing public monies and not having a functioning library!  It's a crime!  Something needs to be done!  What's wrong with us anyway???

Coworker one suggested that, as we are all bottom of the totem pole librarians, she was wasting her time as we are not responsible for how money is spent here.

"WELL WHO IS???  I will let them have it!  I am NOT afraid to tell them!  I LOST TWO HOURS I NEED TO BE ON THE COMPUTER AND I PAY TAXES!!!!  I'VE BEEN CHEATED OF MY TWO HOURS!  I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO MY TWO HOURS ON THE COMPUTER TONIGHT!!!!!"

Both coworkers and I asked her if she was serious about wanting to talk to those in charge.

"YOU BET I AM!  BRING 'EM ON.  I'LL TELL THEM WHAT I THINK!!!"

So we told her that the library board meeting was just starting and that she could sign up RIGHT NOW to be on the agenda and confront Stone Cold and the board members about the heat, the computer issue and the tax issue.

As soon as we invoked Stonecold's name, she promptly backpedaled.  "Oh, wait...tonight?  Nononononono...I can't be here tonight.  I got an emergency at home.  And I gotta get across the street to the canclelight vigil and I'm SO tired, I can't possibly do it tonight."

And she scurried away.

She's back today and I bet nothing will be said.  I see so many people like her every day, who are going to go charging upstairs 'cause "they ain't afraid of nothing" and immediately back off when we offer to call the boss for them.  If all the people who ever said they were going to do something about the problems at the library actually did something, we would have had a new director by now.......

Jocelyn

« Reply #22293 on: July 18, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »

If I went to the courthouse to conduct business, and came out and found that my car wouldn't start, I would figure out a way to get home. Public transportation, a taxi, offering to pay a passerby, waiting around until someone I knew could get there, or even walking. Not all the solutions would work in every town, but the court summons should be the first cue to start thinking. It isn't as if people don't get some warning that this might happen. But if the judge says ' you may not drive' and within half an hour someone's come up with what he thinks is a good enough reason to ignore the judge's order, I think it's very likely that he will think it's Ok for him to go get groceries (what's he supposed to do, starve?), go to work (he's gotta earn money!) run important errands, or even stop off to visit friends.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22294 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
I remember  'Carrie'.  It scared the Deity out of me and I was studying film at the time. 

People were used to a 'releasing image' at the end of a disturbing film.  The car being dragged out of the swamp at the end of 'Psycho' is a good example.  'Carrie' gave the audience just the opposite.

For me, a relaxing image at the end of a film automatically means a set-up for Jason to leap out of the water or something. Apparently I'm jaded.

Carrie was one of the first movies to do that, though. Or at least the one that kicked off the trend in 70's and 80's horror flicks.

Oh yeah.  That was close to being the grannie of all last minute "set you up with the calm atmosphere" jump scenes.  My best friend and I were in our early twenties and both of us had to be scraped off the ceiling.....

Pen^2

« Reply #22295 on: July 18, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »

If I went to the courthouse to conduct business, and came out and found that my car wouldn't start, I would figure out a way to get home. Public transportation, a taxi, offering to pay a passerby, waiting around until someone I knew could get there, or even walking. Not all the solutions would work in every town, but the court summons should be the first cue to start thinking. It isn't as if people don't get some warning that this might happen. But if the judge says ' you may not drive' and within half an hour someone's come up with what he thinks is a good enough reason to ignore the judge's order, I think it's very likely that he will think it's Ok for him to go get groceries (what's he supposed to do, starve?), go to work (he's gotta earn money!) run important errands, or even stop off to visit friends.

POD. It's tough to suddenly lose the use of your car, but other people deal with it without deciding that inconvenience makes breaking the law reasonable. And especially if you're going to the courthouse knowing that there's a chance that you'll lose your licence, you really should plan ahead. It's like driving to the optometrist knowing that the eye drops you'll get will render you unable to drive back. Laws are made known. You don't just get to decide to break them because they're a bit too strict for your liking sometimes and it suits you better to do what gets you home faster. Welcome to the social contract.

bloo

« Reply #22296 on: July 18, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
If he doesn't check his email, he could...oh, I don't know...look at the due date? ::)

Many libraries don't stamp the due dates on a card anymore, or they give out an (easily lost) receipt for the books.  My library sends emails with notices like "your books will be overdue in 3 days" as a courtesy.

I use the receipt as a bookmark for the current book I'm reading.

And yes I've still managed to occasionally lose those darn receipts! ;D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22297 on: July 18, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »

POD. It's tough to suddenly lose the use of your car, but other people deal with it without deciding that inconvenience makes breaking the law reasonable. And especially if you're going to the courthouse knowing that there's a chance that you'll lose your licence, you really should plan ahead. It's like driving to the optometrist knowing that the eye drops you'll get will render you unable to drive back. Laws are made known. You don't just get to decide to break them because they're a bit too strict for your liking sometimes and it suits you better to do what gets you home faster. Welcome to the social contract.

However, it's also against the law to leave it parked there for a significant period of time, especially if there are meters.  It's truly a catch-22.  I can only imagine how it is in places with no public transportation (we have PT, it's just terrible.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22298 on: July 18, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
Our courthouse lot isn't metered so they could leave it all day and have someone come get the vehicle for them.  We also have 2 flat rate 'DD' services in town.  Two people will come in one car, drive you home in your own car and you pay them $25.  In a lot of cases, it is cheaper than a taxi AND you don't have to go get your car the next day.  Sure, you might have to wait awhile but it's a great service.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22299 on: July 18, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
Our courthouse lot isn't metered so they could leave it all day and have someone come get the vehicle for them.  We also have 2 flat rate 'DD' services in town.  Two people will come in one car, drive you home in your own car and you pay them $25.  In a lot of cases, it is cheaper than a taxi AND you don't have to go get your car the next day.  Sure, you might have to wait awhile but it's a great service.

File under: Things that wouldn't work in a city of over a million people.  :D

Amara

« Reply #22300 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
All these SS drivers reminded me of a discussion on our local community website yesterday. I would say the driver was an SS but he went way, way beyond that to almost killing people. Here is what happened:

A series of traffic collisions ensued on US-101 northbound, just south of El Sueno Road at approximately 0430 hours this morning. The first collision involved an unlicensed drunk driver, later identified as Mr. _______, who lost control of a 1999 Toyota. The Toyota stuck the guardrail along the right shoulder and eventually came to rest perpendicular to approaching traffic. The Toyota blocked the entire middle lane and partially blocked the left and right lanes. Mr. _______ and passenger exited the Toyota and stood by along the right shoulder. The Toyota was left without lights during hours of darkness in the middle of the freeway.

EH of Moreno Valley was traveling on US-101 northbound approaching El Sueno Road and failed to react in time to avoid the Toyota, which was disabled directly ahead of her. The front of her car struck the disabled Toyota broadside and also became disabled in the middle of the freeway.

Mr. CG of Goleta was traveling on US-101 northbound; he saw the two vehicles disabled in the middle of the freeway, slowed, and began to pass the collision scene on the left. Mr. KO of Santa Barbara was traveling too quickly for the changing conditions directly ahead. He steered to the left to avoid the disabled vehicles, but rear-ended Mr. CG's SUV, which was traveling significantly slower. Mr. O sustained serious injuries as a result of the collision.

With nearly the entire freeway blocked with damaged vehicles, Mrs. MR of Santa Barbara was traveling on US-101 northbound, just south of El Sueno Road. She failed to react in time to avoid the cars disabled directly ahead of her in the middle lane. Her car struck the first two cars in the middle of the freeway.

Four separate collisions occurred, which involved six people and five vehicles. Four people were hospitalized and Mr. _______ was arrested for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) of Alcohol. Traffic was routed off the freeway at the SR-154 exit for approximately two hours this morning. The freeway was reopened for commute traffic at approximately 0630 hours. With the assistance of Caltrans, northbound traffic on US-101 will be routed off the freeway at SR-154 at approximately 2200 hours this evening to continue investigating these collisions.

Nice, huh? There are no words acceptable on this forum that describe what I think should be done to Mr. _______.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22301 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
One person can cause a lot of damage.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22302 on: July 18, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »
This SS couple at a restaurant had a fussy baby, one kid licking a honey container and another standing on a chair (3 and 4 years old, respectively). Apparently they were worried about the baby getting fussy + people judging the mom for breastfeeding, but not a peep from them about "oops, we should take away the honey container and insist the kids sit down."  ::)

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/breastfeeding-note-from-pizza-waitress-pays-it-forward-164047499.html

HoneyBee42

« Reply #22303 on: July 18, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »

They should have thought of that before they did whatever they did that got their license revoked.

I agree.  Quite honestly, I have known practically no one whose license suspension/revocation had any impact on their decisions to drive vs not drive.  The only person I knew who never drove during a suspension was my mother, whose license was suspended for 6mo for medical reasons (she had had a grand mal seizure, state law automatically suspended the license for 6mo during which she had to be completely seizure free, so a new seizure would've re-started the 6mo clock.  Fortunately the first meds/dose was the right combination for her and she has been seizure free ever since).

I would think that the default expectation  if going to court  for a hearing that could end in suspension or revocation of driving privileges would be that you (general) will lose, plan accordingly and be thrilled and grateful (and a whole lot more careful) if given the undeserved mercy of not losing driving privileges.

My newest nominee:  the two men in separate vehicles (facing opposite directions) who thought that the middle of the road was the best place to conversate.  Even after I was approaching, the one who was faced toward me looked at me *five* times before finally cutting off his conversation and moving on.  I'm driving home from work and don't want to have to drive several blocks out of my way just to accommodate a pair of Snowflakes.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22304 on: July 18, 2013, 09:22:16 PM »
SS Parking Flake in the resort parking lot.

All the spaces close to their building were taken.

So they parked in the fire lane just to the side of the parking lot in front of the building.

Blocking the fire hydrant.

Stayed there for over two consecutive days (the vehicle was gone this morning).

The kicker?  There is a side lot just "behind" their vehicle perpendicular to the building that had another 20 spaces and the one closest to this building is also shaded by a large tree - not a bad idea in the Florida summer sunshine.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?