Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5297556 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22305 on: July 18, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »
This SS couple at a restaurant had a fussy baby, one kid licking a honey container and another standing on a chair (3 and 4 years old, respectively). Apparently they were worried about the baby getting fussy + people judging the mom for breastfeeding, but not a peep from them about "oops, we should take away the honey container and insist the kids sit down."  ::)

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/breastfeeding-note-from-pizza-waitress-pays-it-forward-164047499.html

HoneyBee42

« Reply #22306 on: July 18, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
In my town, the police quite often do a blitz in the courthouse parking lot.  You would be amazed at the number of people who drive themselves to court, lose their license in the court proceedings and then climb into their cars to drive home!

You know though, I've always honestly thought that was a little unfair.  Not everyone has someone available to drive them to and from court and no doubt some of those people really didn't think their licenses would be revoked.  If they drove TO the courthouse appropriately licensed, I think they should be allowed to return home the same way they got there.

It almost seems like a mean trick.

They should have thought of that before they did whatever they did that got their license revoked.

I agree.  Quite honestly, I have known practically no one whose license suspension/revocation had any impact on their decisions to drive vs not drive.  The only person I knew who never drove during a suspension was my mother, whose license was suspended for 6mo for medical reasons (she had had a grand mal seizure, state law automatically suspended the license for 6mo during which she had to be completely seizure free, so a new seizure would've re-started the 6mo clock.  Fortunately the first meds/dose was the right combination for her and she has been seizure free ever since).

I would think that the default expectation  if going to court  for a hearing that could end in suspension or revocation of driving privileges would be that you (general) will lose, plan accordingly and be thrilled and grateful (and a whole lot more careful) if given the undeserved mercy of not losing driving privileges.

My newest nominee:  the two men in separate vehicles (facing opposite directions) who thought that the middle of the road was the best place to conversate.  Even after I was approaching, the one who was faced toward me looked at me *five* times before finally cutting off his conversation and moving on.  I'm driving home from work and don't want to have to drive several blocks out of my way just to accommodate a pair of Snowflakes.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22307 on: July 18, 2013, 09:22:16 PM »
SS Parking Flake in the resort parking lot.

All the spaces close to their building were taken.

So they parked in the fire lane just to the side of the parking lot in front of the building.

Blocking the fire hydrant.

Stayed there for over two consecutive days (the vehicle was gone this morning).

The kicker?  There is a side lot just "behind" their vehicle perpendicular to the building that had another 20 spaces and the one closest to this building is also shaded by a large tree - not a bad idea in the Florida summer sunshine.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #22308 on: July 18, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
She's sort of famous for being famous...like Rula Lenska, only on a much smaller, citywide scale. 

I was thinking, where have I heard that name.  Looked her up.  Right she played Lintilla in the Hitchhikers Guide radio series oh so long ago (which I have listened to many many times).
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

StarFaerie

« Reply #22309 on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
Unfortunately the car park is a narrow multistorey, not a lot of room to get in a towtruck.

I was tempted to do my own tow job on it though - I have a wicked winch!   >:D

You'd be surprised where tow companies can tow from. Sometimes they use these http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ and things like them to just wheel the car out to where they can get a hold on it.

Our courthouse lot isn't metered so they could leave it all day and have someone come get the vehicle for them.  We also have 2 flat rate 'DD' services in town.  Two people will come in one car, drive you home in your own car and you pay them $25.  In a lot of cases, it is cheaper than a taxi AND you don't have to go get your car the next day.  Sure, you might have to wait awhile but it's a great service.

File under: Things that wouldn't work in a city of over a million people.  :D

It seems to work in Sydney, a city of 4.6 million people.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:53:02 PM by StarFaerie »

HappilyInsane

« Reply #22310 on: July 19, 2013, 12:27:25 AM »
She's sort of famous for being famous...like Rula Lenska, only on a much smaller, citywide scale. 

I was thinking, where have I heard that name.  Looked her up.  Right she played Lintilla in the Hitchhikers Guide radio series oh so long ago (which I have listened to many many times).
All I remember her from is some commercial (late 70's or early 80's). I think it was for hairspray. It started with "Hi, I'm Rula Lenska". That's the only reason I've ever heard her name.

snowdragon

« Reply #22311 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »
I had an encounter with an SS mom yesterday evening.  I was meeting up with DH after work for dinner since our power went out and I didn't want to sit my 33 week pregnant self in an unair-conditioned house in the extreme heat the DC area is experiencing (luckily it was back on by the time we went home).

I was in the waiting area of the restaurant entertaining myself on my tablet (which DH had just given me Monday for my birthday), and there were a few people waiting for their pick-up orders (Famous Daves).

A mother (SS) and her son (B), who was probably around 7 I'd guess, sat near me.

I'll paraphrase since I don't recall the conversation exactly, but this is basically what happened:

B: I'm bored!
SS: It'll just be another 10 minutes
B: I'm bored now!
SS: That lady there has a toy - go see if she'll share
B (comes up me): Excuse me!  My mom says you should share your toy with me
Me (startled, because I didn't think the mom was talking about me in regards to a toy): Um, no, I'm sorry.  This isn't a toy - it's expensive, and I don't let other people use it.
B: You're supposed to share!
Me: No
SS: Come on!  He's bored, and that thing can keep him entertained *Gives significant look to my belly* You'll see soon enough.
Me: No.
SS: Come back over here B, that mean <female dog> isn't nice, and won't share. I feel sorry for her future kid.
Me (probably shouldn't have engaged the crazy, but I'm hormonal):  My kid won't be taught to be entitled to other people's possessions and I won't expect the world to entertain her.
SS: <female dog>
Me: Thank you for the compliment

B started throwing a tantrum and SS kept talking about me under her breathe, and then started complaining about me to another woman seated nearby (they didn't seem to be waiting together, she appeared to be a stranger). What boggled my mind is that the other woman agreed that I was selfish and rude to not entertain the kid, and it was my fault he was throwing a tantrum. Luckily, DH arrived shortly after and we were seated.

I had a similar thing happen with my Ipad mini at a museum...except the mom came up and told me that her kid wanted a "turn" and that since "Museums are for kids, I needed to give it to him" When I refused she tried to take it and then called me a few choice names and stormed off saying "We'll see about this!"
  The staff member she got to deal with it informed her that it was indeed my personal property, no they couldn't make me give it to the kid, and no the museum was not just for kids.  I thought the woman's head would spin when the staff member called me by name and told her that I was a long time volunteer.  The woman and her kid spent the rest of my visit following me and calling me a female dog and a child hater.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22312 on: July 19, 2013, 01:26:45 AM »
I think in these situations, I would have said "Sure, just give me the ($brandnewcost+20%) deposit, non-refundable in the event of damage, and I'll write you a receipt."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22313 on: July 19, 2013, 01:31:10 AM »
The staff member she got to deal with it informed her that it was indeed my personal property, no they couldn't make me give it to the kid, and no the museum was not just for kids.  I thought the woman's head would spin when the staff member called me by name and told her that I was a long time volunteer.  The woman and her kid spent the rest of my visit following me and calling me a female dog and a child hater.

I wonder how those SS parents would respond to "Oh, you want to borrow my toy ? May I have your wallet and car keys ? I need something to keep me entertained for the day, too."

Geekychick1984

« Reply #22314 on: July 19, 2013, 06:27:17 AM »
Snowdragon - that is indeed eerily similar, complete with throwing out the female dog insult.

It's sad to me that this is apparantly becoming a common concept (re: let my kid play with your expensive property). I felt like I was in the twilight zone when it was happening. After reading through this thread though, I shouldn't have been surprised. 

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #22315 on: July 19, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
I was on a train going home from uni for the weekend, many moons ago.
I was sat at a four seat table with the SS sat opposite. I was playing monopoly on my phone with the sound off.

Out of the blue she asked "can I use your phone?" I was a bit startled and answered that no it wasn't possible as I did not have any credit. This was a lie as it was on contract, but I wasn't going to hand over my phone to a total stranger and let them call who knows where.

So far not SS as such. what she then did put her firmly in the SS family.

Her indignant "But my dad and brother are waiting for me! the train was late, Can I just text them instead?"

She seemed rather upset when I again said no and stuck with my "no credit" line. I even explained I had been playing a game, not texting. she did not seem to believe me and rolled her eyes a bit at my explanation.

She just kept asking "well what am I meant to do?!" like it was my fault.

For the record the train left a bit late and I got to my stop (about another hours travel on fom her stop) almost on time.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #22316 on: July 19, 2013, 07:40:32 AM »
Also, just to be clear how much of an emergency this was. She did not ask any other passengers to borrow a phone. Nor did she take my advice of talking to the conductor to radio a head, so a message could be left for her dad about the delay. Which was the only thing I could think off at the time.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Cami

« Reply #22317 on: July 19, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »
I had an encounter with an SS mom yesterday evening.  I was meeting up with DH after work for dinner since our power went out and I didn't want to sit my 33 week pregnant self in an unair-conditioned house in the extreme heat the DC area is experiencing (luckily it was back on by the time we went home).

I was in the waiting area of the restaurant entertaining myself on my tablet (which DH had just given me Monday for my birthday), and there were a few people waiting for their pick-up orders (Famous Daves).

A mother (SS) and her son (B), who was probably around 7 I'd guess, sat near me.

I'll paraphrase since I don't recall the conversation exactly, but this is basically what happened:

Me (startled, because I didn't think the mom was talking about me in regards to a toy): Um, no, I'm sorry.  This isn't a toy - it's expensive, and I don't let other people use it.
SS: Come on!  He's bored, and that thing can keep him entertained *Gives significant look to my belly* You'll see soon enough.
SS: Come back over here B, that mean <female dog> isn't nice, and won't share. I feel sorry for her future kid.
Me (probably shouldn't have engaged the crazy, but I'm hormonal):  My kid won't be taught to be entitled to other people's possessions and I won't expect the world to entertain her.

B started throwing a tantrum and SS kept talking about me under her breathe, and then started complaining about me to another woman seated nearby (they didn't seem to be waiting together, she appeared to be a stranger). What boggled my mind is that the other woman agreed that I was selfish and rude to not entertain the kid, and it was my fault he was throwing a tantrum. Luckily, DH arrived shortly after and we were seated.

I had a similar thing happen with my Ipad mini at a museum...except the mom came up and told me that her kid wanted a "turn" and that since "Museums are for kids, I needed to give it to him" When I refused she tried to take it and then called me a few choice names and stormed off saying "We'll see about this!"
As a long-time volunteer, I would hope your advice would be taken seriously and if I were you, I'd be advising the staff that they need to eject such people from the premises asap and develop a regular policy on the matter, if they don't already have one. NO ONE should have to endure being called names and being harassed and stalked around a museum for any reason whatsoever.

I can assure you that if I had been the victim, I would have asked what the staff was going to do about this anti-social behavior. If they did not throw her out, I would never return to this museum ever and I'd make sure everyone I knew was aware that the museum permitted this behavior to go on inside their doors.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22318 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
Also, just to be clear how much of an emergency this was. She did not ask any other passengers to borrow a phone. Nor did she take my advice of talking to the conductor to radio a head, so a message could be left for her dad about the delay. Which was the only thing I could think off at the time.

I'm surprised at the efficiency of your rail system, that a delayed train would be such an unheard of situation that they would not be prepared to announce it to people waiting, and her brother and father would be convinced she had been kidnapped or worse, if she did not step off the train at exactly 9:43 or whenever the scheduled time of arrival was.

Because in my country, if the train hasn't arrived at 9:43 we say, "Oh, the train is late," and resign ourselves to waiting for it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22319 on: July 19, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »

I wonder what would happen if you turned something like this around on the person saying it to you...

SS:let my child play with your thing, he's bored.
InnocentSubject:I'm sorry that won't be possible, this is my thing, and I'm using it.
SS:Well he's bored, and he wants it.
IS:Fine, but can I have your car keys?
SS:What, why, they are mine.
IS:Well, if your kid is playing with my thing, I'll be bored, and I'll need something to play with. Since it's okay for me to share my thing,
     you should share your thing.
SS would hopefully sputter and shut up at the audacity of your request, if not, imagine the fun you could have with the argument.