News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 06, 2015, 07:38:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6558582 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22335 on: July 20, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
At an opening at the Big Museum the children's Museum I worked for..

A group of older ladies walked into the ceramics exhibit and started picking things up. The docents told them to stop. The older ladies screamed at them that didn't they know all museums were hands on and they could touch anything they wanted.

The adults in the room were struck dumb. A group of elementary kids ran to the director and told him what was going on. The kids followed him back to the gallery. They suggested rather loudly that the big museum needed classes for the adults to learn to how to behave.

There was also an sculpture that was supposed to LOOK like a musical instrument - we were constantly stopping adults from playing it using things like car keys. Often while some poor child was telling them NO don't touch the art.

Another time at the Children's museum

A man took a piece off the WALL. His daughter told him NO you don't touch on the carpet. You touch on the hard floor (AKA the art studio). It took me several minutes to get him to believe me that his daughter was right. We started giving non-regulars the same speech we gave the school groups.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Garden Goblin

« Reply #22336 on: July 20, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
That probably explains the panicked reactions of the staff member over in the impressionist section of the art museum.  I was looking at some Van Goghes and Monets and discussing it with my mother in law and I made a comment regarding how the brush strokes were done meant it was probably just as interesting to the tactile senses as it was to the visual senses.   I almost immediately had a staff member between me and the painting and had to speak quickly that I was making an observation, not stating an intention.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #22337 on: July 20, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »

So you do Star Wars Cosplay then?

I do Jedi, but lately I've been also doing original characters- some lightsabers do very well when repurposed as psionic blades, especially when they have fully customizable sound, so you can make them sound like anything.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22338 on: July 20, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

So you do Star Wars Cosplay then?

I do Jedi, but lately I've been also doing original characters- some lightsabers do very well when repurposed as psionic blades, especially when they have fully customizable sound, so you can make them sound like anything.

*squeals* That is so awesome!!!

BB-VA

« Reply #22339 on: July 20, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
SS or not?  I know what I would have done if it was my child, but it wasn't my child.

Was at the Bullseye today and stopped for the usual popcorn and drink special on the way out.  There is a fountain drink machine and a 4-flavor Icee machine that has transparent rotating drums so you can see the color of the Icee, as well as written labels for each flavor..  Small child was at Icee machine who wanted mixed flavors and wants to mix her own.  She might have been too young to read, and definitely was too small to see the color of the mix.  She was almost too small to reach the handles, but she managed.  So she pulls each handle, allowing some of Icee (probably about a half-cup with each pull) to flow into the drain tray area.  She then proceeds to mix her drink.  Both parents were with her, and NEITHER made an effort to tell her the flavors, or what flavor was in each cylinder.  They just stood back and let her pull on the handles.  Before the child arrived, the drain area was clean.  After she mixed her Icee, it was a multi-colored mess.  I felt sorry for the cleanup crew. 

Should I have stopped them?  I admit I was a little shocked, but maybe I just have different values (I am not sure I COULD have stopped them, anyway).

I would have told the child what was in each, and let her do the mixing.  But that would have been me and my child.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

desireesgranny

• www.TickerFactory.com
« Reply #22340 on: July 20, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »
SS or not?  I know what I would have done if it was my child, but it wasn't my child.

Was at the Bullseye today and stopped for the usual popcorn and drink special on the way out.  There is a fountain drink machine and a 4-flavor Icee machine that has transparent rotating drums so you can see the color of the Icee, as well as written labels for each flavor..  Small child was at Icee machine who wanted mixed flavors and wants to mix her own.  She might have been too young to read, and definitely was too small to see the color of the mix.  She was almost too small to reach the handles, but she managed.  So she pulls each handle, allowing some of Icee (probably about a half-cup with each pull) to flow into the drain tray area.  She then proceeds to mix her drink.  Both parents were with her, and NEITHER made an effort to tell her the flavors, or what flavor was in each cylinder.  They just stood back and let her pull on the handles.  Before the child arrived, the drain area was clean.  After she mixed her Icee, it was a multi-colored mess.  I felt sorry for the cleanup crew. 

Should I have stopped them?  I admit I was a little shocked, but maybe I just have different values (I am not sure I COULD have stopped them, anyway).

I would have told the child what was in each, and let her do the mixing.  But that would have been me and my child.

Now I want to go there, just to get some popcorn. It tastes so good!

Waterlight

« Reply #22341 on: July 20, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »
I've been at my new job less than three weeks, and have already found a Special Snowflake there...

I gave a presentation on the company dress code this past Friday, since there have been some changes recently.  Most people took it well--including the prohibition on open-toed shoes for safety reasons.

One CW, however, complained that HER feet had Special Neeeeeeeeeeeeds and she would HAVE to wear "flip-flops"even though they were specifically not allowed.  (No sympathy from me--I also happen to have hard-to-fit feet, and the dress code allows for a wide range of shoes that aren't beach sandals and that someone with this CW's Special Neeeeeeeeeeeds could comfortably wear!)
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

snowdragon

« Reply #22342 on: July 20, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »
At KMart tonight.  An older woman rammed her cart into another shopper - hard enough to move the other woman's cart back into her body and says "Tall. Get me that." the woman who had been slammed into said "No." and walked away. The woman who needed something reached then went and complained to someone else that the other woman would not help her.  There were three clerks that she could have asked, had she bothered.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22343 on: July 20, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
I've been at my new job less than three weeks, and have already found a Special Snowflake there...

I gave a presentation on the company dress code this past Friday, since there have been some changes recently.  Most people took it well--including the prohibition on open-toed shoes for safety reasons.

One CW, however, complained that HER feet had Special Neeeeeeeeeeeeds and she would HAVE to wear "flip-flops"even though they were specifically not allowed.  (No sympathy from me--I also happen to have hard-to-fit feet, and the dress code allows for a wide range of shoes that aren't beach sandals and that someone with this CW's Special Neeeeeeeeeeeds could comfortably wear!)
The only reason people need to wear open shoes at work is health reasons. Like a broken toe, or something.

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #22344 on: July 20, 2013, 10:11:24 PM »
My sister feels like a special snowflake because her boss actually relaxed the dress code for her - now she can come to work in her slippers, if need be.

Thing is, she's in renal failure. Her feet and legs keep swelling so much she can't actually WEAR shoes. Her boss, who is the most awesome and understanding man on the face of the planet, told her right off not to worry, that she could do what made her comfortable and capable of working instead of having to suffer or even quit her job.

Why is it that the people who genuinely need things like this feel like SSes, while the real SSes think they're entitled to it?  :-\
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22345 on: July 20, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »

The only reason people need to wear open shoes at work is health reasons. Like a broken toe, or something.

I think I mentioned this before, but I once overheard a Subway restaurant worker complaining about "Ugh, my feet hurt. I asked my manager if I could work barefoot and she said no. I even offered to wear socks on my feet but she still wouldn't let me. So unfair." 

Waterlight

« Reply #22346 on: July 21, 2013, 12:05:48 AM »

I think I mentioned this before, but I once overheard a Subway restaurant worker complaining about "Ugh, my feet hurt. I asked my manager if I could work barefoot and she said no. I even offered to wear socks on my feet but she still wouldn't let me. So unfair."

Current co-irker's situation is more like the Subway restaurant worker's--no broken toe or serious medical condition preventing her from wearing closed-toe shoes.  My boss and I suggested several different kinds of shoes she could wear that would be comfortable and not too expensive--and I even suggested a shoe store specializing in "comfort shoes"--but she kept complaining.   ::)
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Iris

« Reply #22347 on: July 21, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »

Current co-irker's situation is more like the Subway restaurant worker's--no broken toe or serious medical condition preventing her from wearing closed-toe shoes.  My boss and I suggested several different kinds of shoes she could wear that would be comfortable and not too expensive--and I even suggested a shoe store specializing in "comfort shoes"--but she kept complaining.   ::)

Well, in fairness the Subway worker MAY have had something wrong that just wasn't that obvious.

A while back I got severe, really severe, blisters on my heels. As in couldn't wear shoes without pain for almost a month severe. The first two weeks were luckily holidays but when I went back to work I simply explained the situation and the boss had no problems. Technically I *could* have worn shoes as the pain would have been bearable if unpleasant, but it would have made the healing process a lot longer.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22348 on: July 21, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »

Reminds me of my dad's story from the Navy- he was the chief cook on a troop transport (cooking for 22,000+). One of his cooks decided that it was just too hot on the Equator, so he showed up for duty wearing an apron in the front and an apron in the back, and that was all. My father quickly informed him that the Navy really was serious about everyone wearing those pesky uniforms.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22349 on: July 21, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
Well, in fairness the Subway worker MAY have had something wrong that just wasn't that obvious.

A while back I got severe, really severe, blisters on my heels. As in couldn't wear shoes without pain for almost a month severe. The first two weeks were luckily holidays but when I went back to work I simply explained the situation and the boss had no problems. Technically I *could* have worn shoes as the pain would have been bearable if unpleasant, but it would have made the healing process a lot longer.

My sister imprudently walked home from the pool when we were kids- her flipflops broke, and she threw them away partway home. She really blistered her feet. Mom made her shoes out of foam rubber and fabric. My sister couldn't walk at all without padding.
When I was in grad school, I developed plantar fascitis, and had to replace all my shoes. As the previous poster suggested, I went to a 'comfort shoe' store. It was expensive, but going barefoot just wasn't an option.  I think the aforementioned SS really was a SS if she was refusing to consider buying different shoes, especially when there are shoes designed to assist with foot problems.