Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4432041 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22365 on: July 21, 2013, 07:47:38 PM »
Not sure if this is a special snowflake or something worse.

Yesterday afternoon, a truck came through a parking lot at a very high rate of speed.
So high a rate that the skid mark extended across *eight* parking stalls.  :o

The speed was so great that when it rammed into DD's parked car it pushed the front end of her car into the next parking space.  :o :(

The truck then backed up, turned and took off - again at a very high rate of speed.  >:( >:(

Fortunately, where this snowflake fell, there were also some snow angels.
One witness went and found the owner of the car (DD).
Others followed the truck and got the plate number and called it in.
Still others went directly to the police station and gave statements.
Others left their info with DD in case their statements were also needed. (Turns out there were so many the police had more than they needed!)

By the time I got there and we called the police, they knew all about it. They were actually a bit delayed getting out to the scene because they had located the other driver and were busy arresting him.  :)

The damage is repairable and it was a car and not a pedestrian or - horror - a child.

DD's were, of course, very upset, but they too realize it could have been much worse. Right now, we're all just mad at the other driver and wondering what on earth he was thinking.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22366 on: July 21, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
I'm wondering if he was impaired.   >:(

ETA:  I'm glad everyone is OK!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22367 on: July 21, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
Yeah.  The car can be repaired.  Better he plowed into that than the girls as they were getting into or out of the car!  That must have been scary enough for them as it was!!

But good job on the part of all the witnesses who stepped up to the plate and provided appropriate information to the authorities.  Glad it wasn't the " ... Oh, well.  None of my business.  I don't want to get involved" group!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22368 on: July 21, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
Went to a restaurant where you bus your own table.  Prices for wonderful fresh food stay low and you don't tip.  I saw several tables that not only left their plates and trays on the table, but left a mess of food, napkins, wrappers, and crumbs all over the table and floor.  Gross.

To be fair, it's sometimes hard to tell at counter service restaurants whether you're supposed to bus your own table or not.  I wouldn't be surprised if I've left stuff on the table in places I shouldn't have, just because I looked around and didn't see a trash can and made an assumption which may have been incorrect.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22369 on: July 21, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »
Went to a restaurant where you bus your own table.  Prices for wonderful fresh food stay low and you don't tip.  I saw several tables that not only left their plates and trays on the table, but left a mess of food, napkins, wrappers, and crumbs all over the table and floor.  Gross.

To be fair, it's sometimes hard to tell at counter service restaurants whether you're supposed to bus your own table or not.  I wouldn't be surprised if I've left stuff on the table in places I shouldn't have, just because I looked around and didn't see a trash can and made an assumption which may have been incorrect.

It's very obvious you're suppose to bus yourself, but even if you don't do it, the mess I saw today was very extreme and disgusting.  Never saw such a mess at fast food or full-service.

Ereine

« Reply #22370 on: July 22, 2013, 12:09:58 AM »
I saw yesterday a woman who had parked her car on the road (not very busy but the main road to a small town), on top of a hill and it was illegal to pass her while she was talking on her phone. Fortunately she soon started driving again but it was pretty stupid.

z_squared82

« Reply #22371 on: July 22, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »

Like Uncle said, "Well, his house fell off it's blocks*, so he's not living there anymore."

(*manufactured or mobile home, no foundation, up on cinder blocks)

I thought at first that was a euphemism.

Yeah, I thought people might not realize that was meant literally. Heck, Uncle needed to explain it to a room full of family members when he told us the story.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #22372 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »
I frequently have to ask other customers to reach something for me.  I'm not exactly short, I'm 5'4" and I have long arms, but with my back problems, I can't stretch to reach things on higher shelves, or bend over to get things off lower shelves.

I can't imagine helping someone when they're as rude as some of the people mentioned. 

I usually say something like "Excuse me, may I borrow your height for a moment?", or "You look very strong.  Betcha can't lift that bag of dog food into my cart."  I'm probably not being nearly as clever as I think I am, but if it makes them smile and they help me, I count it as a win.  Of course, effusive thanks are always offered.

So is that rude on my part?  Should I only ask for help in a formal way?  Or is asking for help with a joke ok?
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22373 on: July 22, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
LadyDyani wrote:

"So is that rude on my part?  Should I only ask for help in a formal way?  Or is asking for help with a joke ok?"

My thought is that, as long as you make it obvious that it's a joke and as long as you're polite about someone declining, it's not a problem.

Virg

Pen^2

« Reply #22374 on: July 22, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
LadyDyani wrote:

"So is that rude on my part?  Should I only ask for help in a formal way?  Or is asking for help with a joke ok?"

My thought is that, as long as you make it obvious that it's a joke and as long as you're polite about someone declining, it's not a problem.

Virg

I agree. If someone said this to me dead-pan, or with a pleasant smile, I wouldn't assume that they were joking, and would be offended. As long as you're making it pretty obvious, then that's awesome :)

snowdragon

« Reply #22375 on: July 22, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
I frequently have to ask other customers to reach something for me.  I'm not exactly short, I'm 5'4" and I have long arms, but with my back problems, I can't stretch to reach things on higher shelves, or bend over to get things off lower shelves.

I can't imagine helping someone when they're as rude as some of the people mentioned. 

I usually say something like "Excuse me, may I borrow your height for a moment?", or "You look very strong.  Betcha can't lift that bag of dog food into my cart."  I'm probably not being nearly as clever as I think I am, but if it makes them smile and they help me, I count it as a win.  Of course, effusive thanks are always offered.

So is that rude on my part?  Should I only ask for help in a formal way?  Or is asking for help with a joke ok?

I would not like either of those. The second sounds like you want them to prove something to you. And commenting on other peoples body is rude, if you want to make jokes. make them at your expense, not someone whose done nothing to deserve being the butt of jokes.

Kariachi

« Reply #22376 on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »

I would not like either of those. The second sounds like you want them to prove something to you. And commenting on other peoples body is rude, if you want to make jokes. make them at your expense, not someone whose done nothing to deserve being the butt of jokes.

The second one bothers me, but I'm not seeing a problem with the first. Then again that may be because I'd respond to it with a cheery "Whatcha need?".
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22377 on: July 22, 2013, 01:25:34 PM »
Unless I see a tall, fellow shopper I know, I go looking for an employee to help me get that package of toilet paper down from the top shelf. 

Years ago,  things used to be more fun.  The lightweight paper products were shelved high and there was a display of mops and brooms at the back end of the aisle.  It was expected that shoppers would use a broom to whack down the paper products they needed and then, politely replace the broom in the display.  The stuff was soft so no one was ever injured and no product was ever damaged but the whacking was a great tension release.  >:D

Pen^2

« Reply #22378 on: July 22, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »
I've had people ask me to help them with things while buying groceries. I'm a very non-confrontational looking person, so I get people asking me for directions on the street and so on literally daily. It carries over into the supermarket. Last week a little old lady asked me if I could please help her read the label on this sauce because her eyes just weren't what they used to be. She was very polite and I was happy to help--I left the situation feeling better than when I went in. Now that is the way to do it.

The trouble with jokes is that, if it's a stranger, you don't know your audience, so it's hard to judge what's the best way to do it. Maybe it's just best to err on the side of caution and just ask politely if you don't want to search for a store employee a dozen times during your shopping trip.

As I said before, unless you made it very obvious that it was a joke, I would find it off-putting. And I'm hardly an extreme; I sit somewhere in the bulky part of the bell curve. A lot of people would certainly be offended much more easily by a stranger suddenly making a joke about them. Snowdragon has a good point about not making comments about people's appearances (e.g. how strong they look, even if in jest).

amylouky

« Reply #22379 on: July 22, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »

I wouldn't have a problem with the first, but the second would bother me.. it strikes me as kind of PA and I'd be doing an internal eye-roll and thinking, "Why don't you just ask for help if that's what you want?"  Of course, tone is everything.. I'm sure you're making it funnier than it comes across in text.