Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5389630 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22545 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Wulfie wrote:

"I am not sure of the ages but I think the oldest was maybe 12 or 13 and the youngest was a toddler. The parents are a SS in my book because they dropped off the kids and while the oldest may have been legally old enough to babysit, it was obvious that they expected the resturant to babysit the kids in reality.  They were little monsters and WERE disturbing everyone. The kids also kept running into the bar for more change which is illegal in my state."

Bad parenting (and rudeness) isn't necessarily SS behavior.  I agree that it was rude of the kids to disturb other diners and it was rude of the parents to leave them without supervision, but I don't see where there's evidence that the parents thought that they deserved to have the restaurant watch their kids.  Moreover, from the restaurant's perspective they were customers, since they had ordered food and were spending money on the games (as evidenced from the runs to the bar for more change).  If entering the bar for change was illegal, then it's on the restaurant to stop the kids from doing it at least once.  If their behavior was egregious enough to warrant ejecting them, then the manager could have done that as he would with any other unruly patron.

VorFemme wrote:

"It sounds like the kids may have ordered meals - but they were going to have to wait until the parents got back to PAY for the meals."

That's just the nature of the restaurant business.  Everyone pays at the end of the meal, so the kids don't become non-customers just because they themselves don't have the means to pay.

Virg

Hillia

« Reply #22546 on: July 29, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »
Wulfie wrote:

"I am not sure of the ages but I think the oldest was maybe 12 or 13 and the youngest was a toddler. The parents are a SS in my book because they dropped off the kids and while the oldest may have been legally old enough to babysit, it was obvious that they expected the resturant to babysit the kids in reality.  They were little monsters and WERE disturbing everyone. The kids also kept running into the bar for more change which is illegal in my state."

Bad parenting (and rudeness) isn't necessarily SS behavior.  I agree that it was rude of the kids to disturb other diners and it was rude of the parents to leave them without supervision, but I don't see where there's evidence that the parents thought that they deserved to have the restaurant watch their kids.  Moreover, from the restaurant's perspective they were customers, since they had ordered food and were spending money on the games (as evidenced from the runs to the bar for more change).  If entering the bar for change was illegal, then it's on the restaurant to stop the kids from doing it at least once.  If their behavior was egregious enough to warrant ejecting them, then the manager could have done that as he would with any other unruly patron.

VorFemme wrote:

"It sounds like the kids may have ordered meals - but they were going to have to wait until the parents got back to PAY for the meals."

That's just the nature of the restaurant business.  Everyone pays at the end of the meal, so the kids don't become non-customers just because they themselves don't have the means to pay.

Virg

The problem is that the restaurant didn't have an effective way to deal with the kid's bad behavior.  While technically the manager could have ejected them, realistically no one would throw 3 kids, no older than 12 and as young as 2-3, out on the streets with no adult supervision.  Their only realistic option would have been to call the police.  That's what makes the parents SS in my opinion; they knew the restaurant would have no option but to deal with the kids, no matter what happened, and basically abandoned them there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22547 on: July 29, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
Hillia wrote:

"The problem is that the restaurant didn't have an effective way to deal with the kid's bad behavior.  While technically the manager could have ejected them, realistically no one would throw 3 kids, no older than 12 and as young as 2-3, out on the streets with no adult supervision.  Their only realistic option would have been to call the police."

My thought runs counter to that.  If the oldest child is "legal" to watch them, then the manager can indeed eject them from the restaurant because that's what the term means.  If he's uncomfortable doing that, then a call to the police is in order just as when there's an adult patron that he's uncomfortable ejecting for whatever reason.

"That's what makes the parents SS in my opinion; they knew the restaurant would have no option but to deal with the kids, no matter what happened, and basically abandoned them there."

I tend to think that the parents didn't think it out nearly far enough to come to the conclusion that the manager would be stuck with them.  My guess is that they figured that they could hand the kids some money and they'd play the games until they returned, and overestimated the kids' ability to behave.  As I said before, cluelessness doesn't make for SS behavior, even though it did make rudeness.

Virg

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22548 on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
Oy.  Just had Ms. If I Stare and Glower At You Long Enough You Will Change the Policy for Me.

We have a very hard and fast rule about photocopies...our machines, which are older than dirt, jam up if we try to make double sided copies (i.e.; one sheet with print on both sides).  It requires an override key to do, but even with the key, making a double sided copy usually ends in tears and recriminations.  Paper jams, the print isn't right, and so on.  Bottom line: we CANNOT do it.

And, p.s., even if we COULD, the patron will still be paying for two copies because they are paying for toner, not paper.

Enter the Snowflake. 

If she had been pleasant to me to start, I might have gone ahead, gotten an override key and shown her exactly what kind of copy she would get thanks to the magic of aging technology.

But she stormed over to me, thrust a paper at me and said "You have to do this for me.  I want two copies done, both sides!  Right now."

I explained, as politely as I could, that this was against our policy.  Before I could go further regards the jams and the toner smears, she said "For REAL???  What kind of policy is THAT!?"

She began to berate me, suggesting I was doing this because of some personal bias I must have against her (because, of course that must be it) and I explained that I had nothing to do with the policy besides doing what I was told. 

"I want to speak to your supervisor."

"He is on vacation today."  Which was true. 

She continued to glare at me.

"Are ALL the supervisors gone???"

I directed her to Stonecold's office where I have no doubt Stoney reversed the policy that SHE was instrumental in creating. 

Honest, I really get so tired of people suggesting I won't do something for them because of some personal bias because, sadly, they make their sad little dramas come true:  no one wants to help them because they know what's going to happen if they can't get their own way.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22549 on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »

My partner told her sister Marie that if there was anything we could bring with us, just ask. Marie called the night before we left to ask us to bring enough breakfast food to feed 25 people each morning for the Saturday and Sunday. And some white sandals for her to wear in the ceremony.  So we got up earlier on the day we were driving to do the shopping.

It is incredible to me that you went along with this.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22550 on: July 29, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
I suspect that if the parents had come back to find the children gone, having been given the Managerial Boot, there would have been great wailing and gnashing of lawyers. "How could you have thrown my innocent little darlings out into the hard, dangerous world, from this safe, supervised restaurant?" Because while 12 may be old enough to look after younglings in a restaurant, one would not want to see them wandering, planless and unsupervised, through city streets.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22551 on: July 29, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »
He died sleeping in my bra, a fate a friend of mine mentioned to be "admirable") ...

May I say I love this line?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gingerzing

« Reply #22552 on: July 29, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »

My partner told her sister Marie that if there was anything we could bring with us, just ask. Marie called the night before we left to ask us to bring enough breakfast food to feed 25 people each morning for the Saturday and Sunday. And some white sandals for her to wear in the ceremony.  So we got up earlier on the day we were driving to do the shopping.

Bags of Rice Krispies, corn flakes, and puffed wheat (generic brands), 4 gallons of milk, 4 loaves of bread for toast and some butter.  Voila.  Breakfast.   
White flip flops from Walmart (since if they are a little big or small it won't matter)

<shoves EvilGinger back into the basement closet.>

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #22553 on: July 29, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »

White flip flops from Walmart (since if they are a little big or small it won't matter)

At our wedding reception, I couldn't find my nice jeweled sandals that I'd brought. I ended up wearing a pair of size 11 men's flip-flops (I wear a women's size 6 shoe).
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22554 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
I saw this one in my MIL's Good Housekeeping magazine. 

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/etiquette/saving-seats-public-pool

Basically, someone went to her local pool, put her stuff on a chair, LEFT to run errands and was angry to find her "spot" gone when she got back 2 hours later.  There was a big blowup over the whole thing (her own admission).  And she wanted to know who was right in "The Case of The Pool Chair."

:o
Someone tried to do that on the forward viewing area on our Alaska cruise, coming up to one of the glaciers.  We figured that it would be crowded, so we were there about 2 1/2 hours before, saving our seats with our very own personal butts.   There were two chairs next to us, with magazines spread out over them.  About an hour before we got to the glaciers, someone came in and asked very politely if those chairs were saved.  I said "I don't think so.  We've been here an hour and a half, and no one has claimed them in all that time." So the lady moved the magazines and she and her husband sat down. 

10 minutes before we got to the optimal viewing of the glaciers, a woman and her husband came in and started to look for "their" seats.  By this time there were no empty chairs at all.  She demanded to know who had stolen her seats.  I said "Nobody stole anything.  The seats were empty, so people sat down."  She had a hissy fit and said "We'll just see about that!  I'm going to find a steward and make you give back our seats!"  She went off, and the next I saw of her she was standing in the crowd well back from the windows, complaining loudly about the RUDENESS of seat-stealers.  The other couple who had taken the seats were very nice, and we had a lovely conversation while we viewed the glaciers.  And I don't think any of us wept into our pillows that night, consumed by guilt and remorse.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22555 on: July 29, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »

Bags of Rice Krispies, corn flakes, and puffed wheat (generic brands), 4 gallons of milk, 4 loaves of bread for toast and some butter.  Voila.  Breakfast.   

Yes, be quite firm with EvilGinger.   I am appalled at that breakfast -- there is no jam for the toast! 
into books first.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22556 on: July 29, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »
Saw one at a restaurant yesterday. There were 3 kids playing in the video game area at a local restaurant. This area has 1 video game and 2 claw machines. Not a lot to keep kids occupied for a long time so when they had been there for a while with no adult in view, the hostess went to check on them. Turns out that their parents dropped them off to wait there while they went to pick up people at the airport about 15 minutes away!  The hostess wanted to call CPS but unfortunately, they found that it was legal for the oldest kid to ‘babysit” his siblings outside of their home. The parents had the kids order a meal so they were not loitering.   The manager was NOT happy and asked for the hostess to call him when the parents show up to pay for the meals.

If the parents really thought the oldest child was old enough to babysit the younger ones, why didn't they leave all the kids at home?

It really seems to me as though the parents didn't want the kids left home alone, but for some reason didn't want to take them to the airport, so they left them at the restaurant so that they would have some sort of adult supervision.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

EMuir

« Reply #22557 on: July 29, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »

I wish! Actually she specified muffins, fruit, and juice.   Which was really ironic because as a diabetic who's low-carbing it (and which Marie did know), I couldn't eat any of it. The reason we did it was because Marie is my partner's only sibling. 

So we ended up with a cartload of groceries we had to stuff into our car along with the three lawnchairs and wedding presents and luggage and food for ourselves (because the remote community had no restaurants or places to get food on a weekend).

Funny you should say it, we did take her two pairs of relatively cheap sandals from Walmart that were awfully close to being flipflops because of course they had to be forgiving on size. One pair of them did fit.

And she is supposedly reimbursing us for all this. I'll believe it when I see it.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22558 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »

Basically, someone went to her local pool, put her stuff on a chair, LEFT to run errands and was angry to find her "spot" gone when she got back 2 hours later.  There was a big blowup over the whole thing (her own admission).  And she wanted to know who was right in "The Case of The Pool Chair."

Someone tried to do that on the forward viewing area on our Alaska cruise, coming up to one of the glaciers.  We figured that it would be crowded, so we were there about 2 1/2 hours before, saving our seats with our very own personal butts.   There were two chairs next to us, with magazines spread out over them.  About an hour before we got to the glaciers, someone came in and asked very politely if those chairs were saved.  I said "I don't think so.  We've been here an hour and a half, and no one has claimed them in all that time." So the lady moved the magazines and she and her husband sat down. 

10 minutes before we got to the optimal viewing of the glaciers, a woman and her husband came in and started to look for "their" seats.  By this time there were no empty chairs at all.  She demanded to know who had stolen her seats.  I said "Nobody stole anything.  The seats were empty, so people sat down."  She had a hissy fit and said "We'll just see about that!  I'm going to find a steward and make you give back our seats!"  She went off, and the next I saw of her she was standing in the crowd well back from the windows, complaining loudly about the RUDENESS of seat-stealers.  The other couple who had taken the seats were very nice, and we had a lovely conversation while we viewed the glaciers.  And I don't think any of us wept into our pillows that night, consumed by guilt and remorse.
People "saving" seats is such a problem on cruise ships that pool attendants have started taking stuff if the chair is unattended for more than 45 minutes.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22559 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »

People "saving" seats is such a problem on cruise ships that pool attendants have started taking stuff if the chair is unattended for more than 45 minutes.
I'm not surprised.  Since no steward came bustling up and ousted us from "their" seats, I suspect that she got told "Too bad, so sad."
into books first.