Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5366741 times)

TXJess

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22650 on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
The Rhubarb Lady gives a new meaning to "Iowa Stubborn" lol

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #22651 on: August 01, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
The rhubarb lady. Just, wow. Sorry, I don't want to link directly to it because it's completely NSFW, but just Google it and be amazed at the snowflakiness.
Lots of cussing in that video but yikes that woman is nuts. The homeowner has some rhubarb against a chain link fence. Some of it spills out onto a grass area - beyond the grass area is a footpath. The rhubarb lady is stealing rhubarb claiming that it is public property because it is "in the alley".

Honestly I think the homeowners come close to the line and definitely need a lesson in not engaging the crazy. After it became clear she was not going leave th their property, they should have gone inside and called the cops. Not continue to stand outside exchanging screaming profanity.

They had already called the cops at this point.  You can hear them replying to her comment about the cops in saying that they're already coming.  I think taping her was a good idea as they have concrete proof now.  Perhaps they shouldn't have spoken to her, but I don't know that I would have been able to hold my tongue so I can't judge them on that aspect.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22652 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
The rhubarb lady. Just, wow. Sorry, I don't want to link directly to it because it's completely NSFW, but just Google it and be amazed at the snowflakiness.

Wow - that was just bizarre. I didn't listen to the video, but read a transcript I found online. Hmm.....
This just links to ads for online degrees.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #22653 on: August 01, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
My entire family surprised me on my 50th birthday at my favorite French restaurant.  It was the best birthday ever (aside from my daughter being born the same day).  My husband and I tried to go away that weekend but a hurricaine was coming so we had to stay put.  I was pretty bummed out but that surprise party turned my mood right around!
OK, I know I skim read these posts, but this one stopped me cold.  Am I reading this correctly, Baby Snakes? (love that name) Your daughter was born on the same day your family threw you a surprise 50th birthday party?

She definitely meant that she and her daughter share the same birthday - in a previous post she mentioned that her daughter was born on her 24th birthday.

OP here.  Yes my daughter was born on my 24th birthday not my 50th ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22654 on: August 01, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »
I think the lemon cake story should get it's own thread so it doesn't get lost in this massive thread, for updates (because I suspect that's not the end of it), and for those who don't read the SS thread ;D.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22655 on: August 01, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
I think the lemon cake story should get it's own thread so it doesn't get lost in this massive thread, for updates (because I suspect that's not the end of it), and for those who don't read the SS thread ;D.

So far it's all quiet on the western front.  If there are any updates I'll create a separate thread

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22656 on: August 01, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »

So far it's all quiet on the western front.  If there are any updates I'll create a separate thread

Now I want a piece of lemon cake

ScubaGirl

« Reply #22657 on: August 01, 2013, 03:27:42 PM »
I saw this one in my MIL's Good Housekeeping magazine. 

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/etiquette/saving-seats-public-pool

Basically, someone went to her local pool, put her stuff on a chair, LEFT to run errands and was angry to find her "spot" gone when she got back 2 hours later.  There was a big blowup over the whole thing (her own admission).  And she wanted to know who was right in "The Case of The Pool Chair."

:o
Someone tried to do that on the forward viewing area on our Alaska cruise, coming up to one of the glaciers.  We figured that it would be crowded, so we were there about 2 1/2 hours before, saving our seats with our very own personal butts.   There were two chairs next to us, with magazines spread out over them.  About an hour before we got to the glaciers, someone came in and asked very politely if those chairs were saved.  I said "I don't think so.  We've been here an hour and a half, and no one has claimed them in all that time." So the lady moved the magazines and she and her husband sat down. 

10 minutes before we got to the optimal viewing of the glaciers, a woman and her husband came in and started to look for "their" seats.  By this time there were no empty chairs at all.  She demanded to know who had stolen her seats.  I said "Nobody stole anything.  The seats were empty, so people sat down."  She had a hissy fit and said "We'll just see about that!  I'm going to find a steward and make you give back our seats!"  She went off, and the next I saw of her she was standing in the crowd well back from the windows, complaining loudly about the RUDENESS of seat-stealers.  The other couple who had taken the seats were very nice, and we had a lovely conversation while we viewed the glaciers.  And I don't think any of us wept into our pillows that night, consumed by guilt and remorse.

These reminded me of an incident at a gym about 15 years ago.  The women's locker room had 6 showers, 3 on either side of the room.  Three on one side were far superior than the other 3 (better water pressure, temperature, etc.).  At the time this happened, I was going to the gym before work, so very early.  One day I'm done with my work out and head to the shower room.  Two of the 3 best showers were being used and a gym bag sat in front of the entrance to the 3rd.  I looked around the locker room and no other person was there so I stepped over the gym bag to take my shower (there were shower curtains and the stalls were deep, nothing got wet).  Very shortly before I was done I heard a woman come in and mutter under her breath (I don't remember what she said but it wasn't complimentary) and move to a different shower.  Did she really believe she was more important than all the woman there (and, actually, all the woman members) to idly hold onto a valued gym asset?  I'm sure my membership cost as much as hers did.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:55:22 AM by ScubaGirl »

Jaelle

« Reply #22658 on: August 01, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »
I am not sure where Snowdragon is from but I would not be surprised to hear that it is in the Seattle area. I am amazed at the total lack of parenting that I see going on around here!  Little kids (3-5 years old) running around stores with nobody watching them and kids hitting strangers and parents not doing anything about it are just a couple of the things I have seen around here on a fairly normal basis!  I even have heard parents using the "don't want to stifle their creativity" line a few times when their kid was acting out and they were called on it by someone.

Without outing where Snowdragon is from, I know that I live in the general area. ;)  And I can assure you, we (parents here) are not all like that.

Ask my 5-year-old right now. I'm currently the "meanest mommy ever."

I take great pride in that.
She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22659 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »

I know my mother was the meanest, strictest mommy in my school.  She was a substitute teacher in my district, frequently subbing at my school.  I never had her sub for my teacher, but my brother did.  She left teaching when they took her ruler away from her, the one she used to thwack the students who didn't listen to and obey her.  Everyone said she was the meanest sub evah!  I told them she was the same way at home.  My school friends were horrified.

She took great pride in her reputation as a "don't mess with this substitute" teacher. She actually taught when she subbed.  Most subs are glorified babysitters who are lucky if they get the attendance correct because the kids won't sit in their assigned seats, answer for each other, and test the sub in every annoying way possible.  When a class saw her at the front of the room, everyone did what they were supposed to do.  That ruler hurt!
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #22660 on: August 01, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »
Midnight Kitty, have you seen Key and Peel's Substitute Teacher on YouTube?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22661 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
I am not sure where Snowdragon is from but I would not be surprised to hear that it is in the Seattle area. I am amazed at the total lack of parenting that I see going on around here!  Little kids (3-5 years old) running around stores with nobody watching them and kids hitting strangers and parents not doing anything about it are just a couple of the things I have seen around here on a fairly normal basis!  I even have heard parents using the "don't want to stifle their creativity" line a few times when their kid was acting out and they were called on it by someone.

Without outing where Snowdragon is from, I know that I live in the general area. ;)  And I can assure you, we (parents here) are not all like that.

I'm a MEAN teacher
M - Making
E - Excellence
A - A
N - Necessity
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

poundcake

« Reply #22662 on: August 02, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »

Not only was your update awesome but I'm glad you didn't give in and refund her money. The idea that customers can scream and cause a scene to get what they want for free because "the customer is always right" has gotten so far out of control. And it's hurting businesses AND decent customers! I LOVE that you made her FB screenshots your feature on the business's site, too!  >:D

z_squared82

« Reply #22663 on: August 02, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
Im only on page 486! I dont think Ill ever catch up

I live in a three-floor apartment building. You walk in between floors, as in, you walk into the lobby and you can go down half a flight of stairs to the bottom floor, up a half-flight of stairs to the middle floor, or up a flight and a half to the top floor.

My boyfriend and I are leaving my apartment (on the top floor, if it matters), when I realize Ive forgotten something. While I go back upstairs, he hangs out by the front door, holding it for a couple who is moving out of the middle floor. Boyfriend tells me the story.

It is hot. They are carrying furniture. Their neighbor comes out, sees they are moving and asks them to carry something to her car for her. Asking once, not a special snowflake IMO.

They said no, they were hot and on a deadline. But she kept insisting. And insisting. While theyre trying to wedge an over-stuffed leather couch out the door. Its not far, she says. Shes just a woman, she says.

Its a half-flight of steps, they say. You can do it yourself.

Im glad they didnt indulge the snowflake.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22664 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »

It is hot. They are carrying furniture. Their neighbor comes out, sees they are moving and asks them to carry something to her car for her. Asking once, not a special snowflake IMO.

I think that's really rude!

Maybe not quite "snowflake," but really rude.
They're busy, they're not a moving service.