Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4397583 times)

Seven Ate Nine

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22695 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
Adelaide's taxi driver story reminds me of the people who will get partly on an elevator and hold the door open while they continue chatting to someone who ISN'T getting on the elevator.   Meanwhile, everyone else on the elevator has to wait until he/she finishes her conversation.   Drives me batty!

I encountered someone in a revolving door the other day who started to leave the store but then turned around to chat with someone inside while still inside the door.  No one could get in or out until he decided he was done talking (and the chorus of "excuse me please" fell on deaf ears.)

I may have told this story before, but DH and I were visiting either Red Rock Canyon or Valley of Fire.  On our way back into the visitor center, the guy behind me decided that it would be hilarious to use his mass to stop the revolving door.  It was a small door, and I am claustrophobic.  Thankfully, just as I started to panic DH (who is a pretty big guy) realized what was going on and shoved the door.  I hadn't even realized what was going on - I didn't see the guy behind me - but DH said that by the look on his face the guy was definitely not expecting to have someone challenge him like that.  Then once we were inside the guy old me to smile  >:(

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22696 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
Adelaide's taxi driver story reminds me of the people who will get partly on an elevator and hold the door open while they continue chatting to someone who ISN'T getting on the elevator.   Meanwhile, everyone else on the elevator has to wait until he/she finishes her conversation.   Drives me batty!

I encountered someone in a revolving door the other day who started to leave the store but then turned around to chat with someone inside while still inside the door.  No one could get in or out until he decided he was done talking (and the chorus of "excuse me please" fell on deaf ears.)

This is a ways back but the Crazy Rhubarb Lady exchange reminds me of some I had with...um...ladies who provided a certain service for money in my back yard.  Apparently, they had EVERY RIGHT to conduct business there and would only move along when I started to dial the police.  I am so happy we have a fence now.

Two words: Garden Hose.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22697 on: August 05, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »

This is a ways back but the Crazy Rhubarb Lady exchange reminds me of some I had with...um...ladies who provided a certain service for money in my back yard.  Apparently, they had EVERY RIGHT to conduct business there and would only move along when I started to dial the police.  I am so happy we have a fence now.

Two words: Garden Hose.

Because it works on amorous dogs!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22698 on: August 05, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »

I would have started sounding somewhat like the Crazy Rhubarb Lady if I had been trapped by her in the revolving door.

I am mildly claustrophobic. Then when I was about 10 or so I had to go through one. The JERK behind me dragged on the door making it move at a snails pace. Then when I got to the opening he pushed with all his weight and sped it up. I caught the back of my foot, tearing open the skin on the back of one of my ankles. I lost most of the first layer of skin. Since that area fissures, it took forever to "heal" back to the the painful enough normal. I would only wear flip flop style shoes for months.

The JERK was lucky he went all the way back inside because Dad handed me to mom and went after him. Those extra seconds gave Dad time to go from Red hot to Ice Cold.  Dad demanded that the boy's family be kicked out of/leave  the hotel. The alternative was the Hotel would get the ER bill* and Dad would call the cops on the boy. The manager seemed relieved to get the ultimatum. Some comments from other staff and guests seemed to confirm that the whole family was a pain in the rear letting their kids run riot and breaking stuff. I wasn't the first he pulled the door trick with, just the only one injured. My parents got the impression it was a case of squeaky wheel and the other family squeaking louder and longer than any other guests until Dad laid down the law.

I avoid revolving doors if at all possible, but if trapped I would probably panic and flip out.

*The hotel tried to pay the ER bill, but it didn't cost us anything. Our insurance paid 100%.

As to your visitors. One of my Uncles is a principal. Where they live no-one has fences around yards (you can only swim outside 2 - 2.5 months a year you are never more than 10 - 20 min from the beach so no outdoor pools). One day he arrived at school with two bags and asked the secretary to get him the phone numbers of 2 kids' parents. Then he called the parents and offered to return the clothing their teenagers had left behind in his yard. He figured the boy might have had his boxers - but the girl must not have had a stitch on her when they left rather suddenly. Uncle's family had arrived home and the headlights hit the couple when he pulled into the driveway.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:32:49 PM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #22699 on: August 05, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
Speaking of snowflakes who want people's stuff...

My sister's being incredibly SS. (I'm almost sure she's literally killing our mother with it, too, but I digress.)

BG: We moved from Colorado three years ago when my dad got a job here, and logistics meant that only the stuff we desperately needed could come with us. Everything we didn't bring is still in boxes in the old house's garage. We really want to bring it out here, but we have neither the time nor the money - the one time we were able to actually go down there, we had to cancel it due to a sudden death. (end BG)

Well, my sister's about to be moving into the old house, as the parents have kindly agreed to let her live there. She'll have no rent (it's paid off) and she'll only have to pay utilities. Well, apparently that makes her entitled to do whatever she wants with OUR STUFF, because yesterday she called again to kvetch about the sheer number of boxes sitting in the garage. She does this regularly, but this time she's gone too far.

She's threatening to rent dumpsters and throw everything away because we haven't had the time or money to come look through it, and she doesn't want OUR stuff to be in OUR house any more. I don't doubt she'll actually do it, and I know she'll send US the bill if she does.

My mother is now so upset she's been throwing up all night, and she can't even bear the thought of talking to my sister any more.

Are we out of line to want her to leave OUR stuff alone? It's not even her house, it's still in the parents' name, they still pay the property taxes, they're taking care of all the nitty-gritty involving sister's friend who was renting the place (we didn't want to let it sit empty, and sister wasn't going to move in at the time.) Yet she seems to think just because we're doing her a favor, she can turn around and do what she wants with a house that is NOT EVEN HERS.

I love my sister, really I do, but I really just want to strangle her. Augh.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22700 on: August 05, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
If I were the parents I'd say, "No.  You leave our stuff alone.  This is NOT your house.  It's ours.  We have not given it to you.  We are still paying taxes on it.   We are doing you an enormous favor by allowing you to live there rent free.  If you plan to throw away OUR things, we'll have to backtrack and tell you that you may not live there.  Which way do you want to go on this?"

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22701 on: August 05, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »
"If you can't live in a house with our things in the garage, move out. That is still OUR house, and our graciousness in allowing you to live in it rent-free doesn't give you any right to destroy our things or even complain about them. The next word I hear about this, you're evicted."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22702 on: August 05, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »
I remember a revolving door story.  When I was 9, my aunt took me into NYC for a day and at one point we were leaving a building through the revolving doors and a jerk behind us was pushing so fast that I either tripped or actually fell.  I don't remember, honestly, just that it really ticked my aunt off that this guy was so rude as to not care about anyone else in the revolving door so long as he got where he needed to be.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #22703 on: August 05, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »
I'm all for kicking her out if she pulls anything else, personally, but the problem is, she's literally not going to have any place else to stay and my parents can't deal with leaving her AND her disabled boyfriend out on the street. (We like the boyfriend. We don't want him homeless. I think if he weren't in the picture, the parents would seriously consider just telling sister to suck it up and ban her from the house.) I'm really hoping she was just having one of her itch-with-a-B moments and isn't actually going to go through with it, but knowing her...

I really wonder if she's doing this deliberately. Every phonecall pushes more and more of Mom's stress buttons, and I don't think ANYONE could be so clueless as to accidentally do that. Some of the things she's said over the years really make me suspect she does it on purpose.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22704 on: August 05, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »

My sister's being incredibly SS. (I'm almost sure she's literally killing our mother with it, too, but I digress.)

BG: We moved from Colorado three years ago when my dad got a job here, and logistics meant that only the stuff we desperately needed could come with us. Everything we didn't bring is still in boxes in the old house's garage. We really want to bring it out here, but we have neither the time nor the money - the one time we were able to actually go down there, we had to cancel it due to a sudden death. (end BG)

Well, my sister's about to be moving into the old house, as the parents have kindly agreed to let her live there. She'll have no rent (it's paid off) and she'll only have to pay utilities. Well, apparently that makes her entitled to do whatever she wants with OUR STUFF, because yesterday she called again to kvetch about the sheer number of boxes sitting in the garage. She does this regularly, but this time she's gone too far.

She's threatening to rent dumpsters and throw everything away because we haven't had the time or money to come look through it, and she doesn't want OUR stuff to be in OUR house any more. I don't doubt she'll actually do it, and I know she'll send US the bill if she does.

My mother is now so upset she's been throwing up all night, and she can't even bear the thought of talking to my sister any more.

Are we out of line to want her to leave OUR stuff alone? It's not even her house, it's still in the parents' name, they still pay the property taxes, they're taking care of all the nitty-gritty involving sister's friend who was renting the place (we didn't want to let it sit empty, and sister wasn't going to move in at the time.) Yet she seems to think just because we're doing her a favor, she can turn around and do what she wants with a house that is NOT EVEN HERS.

Your parents need to tell her - 2 choices
1. You live in the house and leave those boxes alone and never say another word about them.
2. You live somewhere else and we get a tenant, who's rent will cover the taxes of the house (and the expense of a storage unit for the boxes but don't tell her that part)

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22705 on: August 05, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
Or the parents say, "Oh, it's too bad that all that stuff is taking up space in the garage. Let's see what we can do. That's a 3-bedroom house. The upper right bedroom is not needed--so don't put any furniture in it. We'll keep that room as ours, and not yours. After all, you're not paying any rent, so we can't really let you use the whole house. However, you may move all that stuff from the garage into the bedroom, so that you may have more room in the garage. Then close the bedroom door, and don't think about it again."

CharlieBraun

« Reply #22706 on: August 05, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »

Llliane, this should have its own thread - that's a lot going on and you'll get some great help.  Try posting it in "Family & Children".
"We ate the pies."

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #22707 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think on it for a bit and see if I want to post. :) I was really more venting than anything this time, but if she pulls anything else...

Back on topic, traffic SS. The very old lady who could barely see over the steering wheel, was wearing huge dark sunglasses, and was creeping along at ten miles per hour. And she had the nerve to honk at anyone who passed her! Lady, you shouldn't even be driving, that's unsafe...

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22708 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »
A little SS - I walked past a young woman in the supermarket aisle.  It wasn't a particularly narrow aisle and we didn't touch - not even close - no reason for either of us to move out of the other's way.  Yet as she passed me by, she stage whispered "Ex-cuse you!"

I pretended not to hear her.  I don't know what her problem was.  I thought replying would acknowledge that I heard her P/A comment and wanted to debate.  EvilMK wanted to say, "It's a public store; You don't own this aisle.  Other people have a right to walk down it, too."  That's why we don't let EvilMK out.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22709 on: August 05, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
Last week, I went to a funeral in the very busy area of Dallas-Fort Worth - church was NE of Fort Worth, cemetery was the national one (for veterans) SW of Dallas - so, about 45 minutes travel on the strip between the two cities.

In Fort Worth, the traffic saw the motorcycle cops and pulled off to the side of the road until the funeral procession passed - as I remember from decades gone by.

Once we got to the Dallas area, the motorcycle cops got ignored a bit and at least some of the traffic would be in such a hurry that they would pass the cop blocking the access ramp to the freeway to cut in front of various vehicles, then change lanes again to get to an inner lane and pass the whole procession to get where they were going that much faster.

It made it much more difficult for those of us not sure where we were going (cemetery not marked on the map very well) to make the 45 minute drive to get to the cemetery to line up for fifteen minutes, then drive in to the permanent brick & mortar "pavilion" used for the various taps and flag ceremonies.  We had fifteen minutes there - less time to get clear of the parking for the NEXT funeral procession in line.

I was so glad to have a NEW map of Texas with a fairly clear detail map on the back of the area - once I figured out where we were....DFW is a big place and there are a LOT of drivers on lots of interstates....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?