Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5652537 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22725 on: August 06, 2013, 02:53:58 AM »

JoW

« Reply #22726 on: August 06, 2013, 07:47:05 AM »
Or the parents say, "Oh, it's too bad that all that stuff is taking up space in the garage. Let's see what we can do. That's a 3-bedroom house. The upper right bedroom is not needed--so don't put any furniture in it. We'll keep that room as ours, and not yours. After all, you're not paying any rent, so we can't really let you use the whole house. However, you may move all that stuff from the garage into the bedroom, so that you may have more room in the garage. Then close the bedroom door, and don't think about it again."
I would just put locks on the garage.  Take the garage away from the SS sister. 

Hillia

« Reply #22727 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »
Now that she's made the threat, I would be *very* nervous about having my stuff there.  What if next time she gets a bug up her behind, she just starts tossing stuff, or calls Goodwill, or puts it out on the curb?  Sure, you could evict her then, but the damage has been done.  I would be thinking very hard about whether or not I felt I could trust her to be in the house at all.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

poundcake

« Reply #22728 on: August 06, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »
I'm all for kicking her out if she pulls anything else, personally, but the problem is, she's literally not going to have any place else to stay and my parents can't deal with leaving her AND her disabled boyfriend out on the street.

Even knowing that, my only response would be, "You have 24 hours to get the hell out of my house." And I'd call the police to make sure she left. I might let let the boyfriend stay, but he'd have to choose between her and the house, and he'd have to sign a lease and pay a nominal rent to make it official.

Actually, making her sign a lease outlining certain rules (like NOT disposing of family items being stored therein, and perhaps outlining specific areas where such things are stored) might not be a bad idea.

That's exactly what I'd say. Also, is there someone who can do a photo-inventory of the garage?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22729 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »
Or the parents say, "Oh, it's too bad that all that stuff is taking up space in the garage. Let's see what we can do. That's a 3-bedroom house. The upper right bedroom is not needed--so don't put any furniture in it. We'll keep that room as ours, and not yours. After all, you're not paying any rent, so we can't really let you use the whole house. However, you may move all that stuff from the garage into the bedroom, so that you may have more room in the garage. Then close the bedroom door, and don't think about it again."
I would just put locks on the garage.  Take the garage away from the SS sister.

The OP & family are halfway across the country or something--they'd have to get someone to do that for them, and there's no way to be sure she wouldn't get a crowbar and pry the hasp off.

And I second Hillia's nervousness.

That's one reason why I suggested that Mom say, "just move it into that extra bedroom," to redirect Sis. Heck, it might be easier and actually effective to hire someone to move it into a spare bedroom; then you know it's in there, and there's no reason for Sis to keep seeing it and having it bug her.

I don't know if the stuff in the garage is really in the way--it may be a territorial thing on her part. But even if it is, moving it all into the smallest bedroom might remove the "reminder" part.

The other option might be to move it all into a storage unit, and make Sis pay rent to Mom & Dad that's equal to the storage-unit rent. (I wouldn't want her paying it directly; she could just stop, and the stuff would be seized.)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22730 on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:29 AM »
I'm just sitting here cringing, thinking of how I would feel if I were the parents  Here they're trying to do something really nice and helpful for their daughter and her boyfriend and she acts like this?

Not only that, but once they've allowed her to live there, they might actually have a very difficult time evicting her should it come to that.

Not helpful at all to say, but I'll bet they're already regretting their decision to let her stay there!  I certainly would be.   :(

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22732 on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
Well, this just happened to a coworker five minutes ago and sounds like a mildly entertaining SS story.  I wonder if people really do not understand the consequences of their actions and even more, do they realize that other people are not psychics and therefore are not responsible for the patrons' issues? 

Apparently Mr. Furious was looking for an item he NEEDED, desperately, and we were the only library in the area to have that item.  It had gone missing from his hometown lilbrary and others around him.  So he looked us up on line and saw that we have it.  Instead of CALLING to find out if it was here (which, apparently, he had done with the other libraries) he hopped in his car and drove the (not quite) ten miles to get here. 

And, not surprisingly, the item was not here.  He began by verbally abusing the young part time library aide who was in the room where the item was.  When it was explained to him that things go missing all the time because of thieves, he became more abusive and demanded the aide's supervisor.  When she explained that unless they KNOW something has been stolen it cannot be marked missing, he started screaming about incompetence and the like and demanded to see HER supervisor.

Who, of course, is Stonecold. 

And we all know where Stonecold is.

Anywhere but at work. 

My coworker didn't find out what happened from there.  She was able to tell me what the item was that caused the distress.  A DVD of....Petticoat Junction.  Which was stolen because, although we now have a system similar to Redbox to keep DVDs safe, we only are able to store letters A - J and need more of the boxes.

And of course, it's ALL OUR FAULT that the patron didn't call first to see if the DVD was in or not.

I understand the man's frustration (I wanted to see the complete series of Boris Karloff's Thriller and it's gone) but to scream at someone about how THEY wasted MY time because I was too important to call first and find out if my desired item was really in?  That's special to the max.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22733 on: August 06, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
And of course, it's ALL OUR FAULT that the patron didn't call first to see if the DVD was in or not.

I understand the man's frustration (I wanted to see the complete series of Boris Karloff's Thriller and it's gone) but to scream at someone about how THEY wasted MY time because I was too important to call first and find out if my desired item was really in?  That's special to the max.
That's outrageous! I use my library's web portal to search the database and reserve the materials (books, CDs, DVDs).  I do this because what is on the shelves on any particular day is a small percentage of the materials they have.  Much of the stuff is in circulation.  Since I am not the only library patron, that means most of what I want is not available when I visit the library.  I signed up for Lincoln and Beasts of the Southern Wild when they were nominated for Academy Awards.  I just saw them last week.  All copies of both DVDs have been in continuous circulation since February.  The waiting list is still over 100, so they won't rest on a shelf for at least 3 more months.  I am still waiting to see Argo.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #22734 on: August 06, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
The OP & family are halfway across the country or something--they'd have to get someone to do that for them, and there's no way to be sure she wouldn't get a crowbar and pry the hasp off.

And I second Hillia's nervousness.

That's one reason why I suggested that Mom say, "just move it into that extra bedroom," to redirect Sis. Heck, it might be easier and actually effective to hire someone to move it into a spare bedroom; then you know it's in there, and there's no reason for Sis to keep seeing it and having it bug her.

I don't know if the stuff in the garage is really in the way--it may be a territorial thing on her part. But even if it is, moving it all into the smallest bedroom might remove the "reminder" part.

The other option might be to move it all into a storage unit, and make Sis pay rent to Mom & Dad that's equal to the storage-unit rent. (I wouldn't want her paying it directly; she could just stop, and the stuff would be seized.)

Not quite country, but yes, a good ways across the US. :)

None of the stuff is in the way at all. There's just too much of it to put in one bedroom (the entire garage is packed to bursting, we had a LOT of clutter we had no time to sort so it just got boxed, and that on top of what was actually in the garage before.) She just wants us to move it so she can put all HER useless clutter in there.

You're right that my parents don't trust her all that much, but at the same time there's her very real medical problems to take into consideration (she's in the beginning stages of renal failure and is VERY sick, and I do genuinely feel sorry for her) and Mom can't shake the "this is my daughter, and I should help her" mindset. Dad is much more ambivalent and I think if it were up to him, sister wouldn't be pulling any of these shenanigans - not to say he doesn't love her, of course, but he does not put up with his children being bacon-fed knaves.

We are considering a storage unit, but that's if we can find the money. :(
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22735 on: August 06, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
The city park's fbook page shared a resident's status as a way of trying to help them out.  One homeowner who lives a block east of the park has been doing some work to try to fix up their house and increase their curb appeal.  Part of that involves, well fixing the curb in front of  their house.

Apparently two people came by and drew their initials in the wet cement after dark last night and the people who own the house are saying "you (guilty party) owe us some manual labor to fix it or we will be providing a police report."

What's disconcerting is that there are some replies saying "oh get over it, you could easily do the work yourself instead of bothering the police with it!" or "Come on you guys, who hasn't done this? It's a long standing tradition!"  ::)  Unfortunately, I doubt anyone's going to come forward. I asked my boys if they knew anyone with those initials but they didn't.   The owner of the house said it's going to cost them a great deal of $ for the rental of the equipment as well as time, which will be added to, with this little prank.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22736 on: August 06, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »
I nominate a relative of mine. One of her siblings came back from a multi-year overseas job assignment. And its his birthday. so they're having party this weekend for him. i'm going too, and will stay with them. We, as in relative, me, other relative and his DW had plans to go to dinner friday to celebrate.

She emailed us today, asking if we'd be upset if she bailed since her exbf asked her to do something. I was livid. first of all, the whole ex situation irks me, as she's acting like a teenager, secondly, and more importantly, we had plans, plans which you want to bail on since you got a better offer.

However, i think i shamed her a bit. she asked if i got the message, i said yes, but why don't you just come after work since you can't take the day off.  she then said, but ex invited me to do this. i said before or after the dinner invite. and how if it were me, i would have told ex, sorry its my siblings b-day, and we've made plans to celebrate, so i can't do activity with you.

she then went, oh, his actual birthday is friday? like maybe if it hadn't been, it would have been ok to ditch us all.

UPDATE:
So the dinner went off without a hitch, although after, we went back to their house, and she asked if we could watch baseball, which the rest of us don't really care about. So her brother puts it on, and she further annoyed him by saying " iwas supposed to be at this game tonight" Um no, no you were not. you were ASKED to go, but due to prior plans, could not.

i also found out her brother was QUITE hurt if you listened to his wife, or pissed, if you listened to him. i believe him, esp since none of us responded. and that none of us, not just me, cared for the ex BF

The party was fun; went off without a hitch, so that was good.

Although there was one final bit of SS behavior: One of her fave stores has a trade in promo on jeans. bring in an old pair, get x dollars off a new pair. She had brought some stuff over in MARCH for me and SIL to try on, and now asked for it back ,so she could trade in! SIL doens't have it anymore though, so not sure what's going to happen with that. >:D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:19:51 AM by siamesecat2965 »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #22737 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
I nominate a relative of mine. One of her siblings came back from a multi-year overseas job assignment. And its his birthday. so they're having party this weekend for him. i'm going too, and will stay with them. We, as in relative, me, other relative and his DW had plans to go to dinner friday to celebrate.

She emailed us today, asking if we'd be upset if she bailed since her exbf asked her to do something. I was livid. first of all, the whole ex situation irks me, as she's acting like a teenager, secondly, and more importantly, we had plans, plans which you want to bail on since you got a better offer.

However, i think i shamed her a bit. she asked if i got the message, i said yes, but why don't you just come after work since you can't take the day off.  she then said, but ex invited me to do this. i said before or after the dinner invite. and how if it were me, i would have told ex, sorry its my siblings b-day, and we've made plans to celebrate, so i can't do activity with you.

she then went, oh, his actual birthday is friday? like maybe if it hadn't been, it would have been ok to ditch us all.

Her own sibling?  Who has been overseas for years?! For an ex?!?!  Frankly, were I the brother, I'd tell her to not bother coming.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22738 on: August 06, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »
They're doing road construction in my town which has narrowed Main St to one lane so that traffic gets to go in one direction and then the other. I totally get how frustrating it is, really I do. The guy behind me, however, just laid on his horn while the traffic was headed in the other direction and we had to wait our turn for a few minutes. Seriously, 3 minutes of a car horn going off nonstop.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22739 on: August 06, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »
The city park's fbook page shared a resident's status as a way of trying to help them out.  One homeowner who lives a block east of the park has been doing some work to try to fix up their house and increase their curb appeal.  Part of that involves, well fixing the curb in front of  their house.

Apparently two people came by and drew their initials in the wet cement after dark last night and the people who own the house are saying "you (guilty party) owe us some manual labor to fix it or we will be providing a police report."

What's disconcerting is that there are some replies saying "oh get over it, you could easily do the work yourself instead of bothering the police with it!" or "Come on you guys, who hasn't done this? It's a long standing tradition!"  ::)  Unfortunately, I doubt anyone's going to come forward. I asked my boys if they knew anyone with those initials but they didn't.   The owner of the house said it's going to cost them a great deal of $ for the rental of the equipment as well as time, which will be added to, with this little prank.

Twice we've poured concrete in front of our co-op apt. bldg here in NYC, and both times we pressured the concrete guys to finish pouring at something like 6am. Then we all signed up for turns sitting and keeping watch until it dried.