Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4411303 times)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22740 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
I nominate a relative of mine. One of her siblings came back from a multi-year overseas job assignment. And its his birthday. so they're having party this weekend for him. i'm going too, and will stay with them. We, as in relative, me, other relative and his DW had plans to go to dinner friday to celebrate.

She emailed us today, asking if we'd be upset if she bailed since her exbf asked her to do something. I was livid. first of all, the whole ex situation irks me, as she's acting like a teenager, secondly, and more importantly, we had plans, plans which you want to bail on since you got a better offer.

However, i think i shamed her a bit. she asked if i got the message, i said yes, but why don't you just come after work since you can't take the day off.  she then said, but ex invited me to do this. i said before or after the dinner invite. and how if it were me, i would have told ex, sorry its my siblings b-day, and we've made plans to celebrate, so i can't do activity with you.

she then went, oh, his actual birthday is friday? like maybe if it hadn't been, it would have been ok to ditch us all.

Her own sibling?  Who has been overseas for years?! For an ex?!?!  Frankly, were I the brother, I'd tell her to not bother coming.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22741 on: August 06, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »
They're doing road construction in my town which has narrowed Main St to one lane so that traffic gets to go in one direction and then the other. I totally get how frustrating it is, really I do. The guy behind me, however, just laid on his horn while the traffic was headed in the other direction and we had to wait our turn for a few minutes. Seriously, 3 minutes of a car horn going off nonstop.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22742 on: August 06, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »
The city park's fbook page shared a resident's status as a way of trying to help them out.  One homeowner who lives a block east of the park has been doing some work to try to fix up their house and increase their curb appeal.  Part of that involves, well fixing the curb in front of  their house.

Apparently two people came by and drew their initials in the wet cement after dark last night and the people who own the house are saying "you (guilty party) owe us some manual labor to fix it or we will be providing a police report."

What's disconcerting is that there are some replies saying "oh get over it, you could easily do the work yourself instead of bothering the police with it!" or "Come on you guys, who hasn't done this? It's a long standing tradition!"  ::)  Unfortunately, I doubt anyone's going to come forward. I asked my boys if they knew anyone with those initials but they didn't.   The owner of the house said it's going to cost them a great deal of $ for the rental of the equipment as well as time, which will be added to, with this little prank.

Twice we've poured concrete in front of our co-op apt. bldg here in NYC, and both times we pressured the concrete guys to finish pouring at something like 6am. Then we all signed up for turns sitting and keeping watch until it dried.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22743 on: August 06, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »
Sounds like a good way to deal with it, but sad that it's necessary.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

magicdomino

« Reply #22744 on: August 07, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
Or you could do like my father did when he poured a bit of sidewalk out front.  He carefully and neatly wrote the initials of the neighbors' kids (and mine  :) ) along with the year, on one side.  It's still there 40 years later.

When I had some concrete poured a few years ago, I was looking the job over and resisting the urge to write my name.  Then I realized this was my concrete; I can do anything I want.  >:D  So, I'm immortalized there too.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22745 on: August 07, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
Or you could do like my father did when he poured a bit of sidewalk out front.  He carefully and neatly wrote the initials of the neighbors' kids (and mine  :) ) along with the year, on one side.  It's still there 40 years later.

When I had some concrete poured a few years ago, I was looking the job over and resisting the urge to write my name.  Then I realized this was my concrete; I can do anything I want.  >:D  So, I'm immortalized there too.

When we had a new driveway poured, I took some pretty marbles and pressed them into the shape of the first letter of our last name, up in the corner where it isn't obvious.  It's fun to look at it and know it will always be a part of this house!

Cherry91

« Reply #22746 on: August 07, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
My parents and I have an inside joke about leaving cryptic messages for future owners of the house to find (eg, "The treasure is in the attic" or so on).

When my parents had the floor redone on the porch, they asked the workman if they could possibly put a message in the concrete before it dried and the tiles were placed on top. Sadly he advised them against it as it could prevent the tiles from sitting right. We were all rather disappointed.

BarensMom

« Reply #22747 on: August 07, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
My parents and I have an inside joke about leaving cryptic messages for future owners of the house to find (eg, "The treasure is in the attic" or so on).

When my parents had the floor redone on the porch, they asked the workman if they could possibly put a message in the concrete before it dried and the tiles were placed on top. Sadly he advised them against it as it could prevent the tiles from sitting right. We were all rather disappointed.

I know I've told this one, but the above brought it to mind.  My mom used to do her own paint/wallpapering when I was a kid.  When she wallpapered her bedroom, she let me draw on the walls before applying the paper.  That paper remained on the wall for 40 years (it refused to die).  After Mom died, we hired someone to come in and steam off the paper and repaint, and there was my artwork.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22748 on: August 07, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
I wish I knew where I had seen this...

I guy took a picture of the floor right before his friends had layed brand new carpet. Why did he take this picture? On the floor in a blood red paint, friends had written help, with handprints being dragged towards the heating vent in the floor.

magicdomino

« Reply #22749 on: August 07, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »

I guy took a picture of the floor right before his friends had layed brand new carpet. Why did he take this picture? On the floor in a blood red paint, friends had written help, with handprints being dragged towards the heating vent in the floor.

Oh that's good.   >:D

Cherry91

« Reply #22750 on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »

That is genius! I'm going to have to make a note of that one...

HoneyBee42

« Reply #22751 on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »

Yes, I think it's totally different to write name/initials in *your own* concrete work.  I still have in the base of the burn pit at my house (formerly my grandfather's) initials from when he put the concrete in while building his burn pit.  Some random stranger's initials in *my* concrete (or as it was at the time, my grandfather's concrete) would be irritating, but I like having my grandfather's initials in there.

And another snowflake sighting.  Yesterday, I took my children to an amusement park.  We had used lockers in one section, and had left our stuff in there while riding a few rides.  Now, towards the end of the day, I was going to retrieve our stuff.  There was a ride that they all wanted to ride again (for me, once had been enough--it was that one that has the antique-style cars on a track where you press the pedal to go forward and "steer" (but the track won't let you get off course)).  So, I headed back to the locker while they were on that ride/waiting in line for their second go-around.  As I came back up the ramp from other section, I was behind a group of about 8 people including a stroller ... who decided that stopping dead at the top of the ramp was the perfect place to stop to discuss where they wanted to go next.

For the most part, there were no other snowflake sightings, which was pretty remarkable considering the amusement park venue. 

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #22752 on: August 07, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
They're doing road construction in my town which has narrowed Main St to one lane so that traffic gets to go in one direction and then the other. I totally get how frustrating it is, really I do. The guy behind me, however, just laid on his horn while the traffic was headed in the other direction and we had to wait our turn for a few minutes. Seriously, 3 minutes of a car horn going off nonstop.

I hate car horn snowflakes.  There's always one who lays on his/her horn while we are stuck in a bridge or a tunnel leaving Manhattan during rush hour.  Because you know, all the other drivers are just going to magically move aside if the driver honks his/her horn long enough. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22753 on: August 07, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »

That is awesome.

A friend had planned a 50th bday party for her DH. They'd had new hardwoods installed a few months prior that ended up buckling. The company had to come take out the flooring so when the party rolled around they only had cement subfloor with area rugs covering it.  So friend decided to make the best of it and gave us all paint and markers to write and draw best wishes and other greetings on the floor. We hope someday, new owners will end up pulling up that floor and find the suprises.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22754 on: August 07, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »
when a friend of mine had her carpet ripped out to put in tile, we sharpie outlined her kids, like on crime scenes, and took photos. 
it was fun!

SS sighting-
piano mom.
New summer student, brand new to music.  I give him my personally cobbled together book and an assignment notebook, and we begin lessons usng a book I have taught from for years.
After three weeks, he is barely doing any work--almost all pages are blank, zero practicing done, the third lesson was like the first lesson.

I thumb through his book and see that he has answered, completely incorrectly, about three units ahead, a few pages. 

I asked mom, "why is he not doing what I assigned, and skipped ahead to do work he is not ready for and got completely incorrect, and now will ahve to take time to un-do?"

Mom's response-
"oh, he is old enough to do what he wants.  He was bored with the beginning stuff, so I told him to skip ahead.  But he seems not to be learning anything, so we may not continue with lessons.  It seems kind of repetitive."

I stammered out a few things like, "practice in piano is same as practice for a sport-you have to do the exercises first.  Piano is not easy-if it was, everyone could do it!  Please check his work even just once a week to see if he is doing what has been assigned.  He is only 8, I am sure his school has a homework folder that parents check."

She kind of shrugged and went back to tapping on her phone. 

If the kid was retaining information and progressing, I would move him faster. 

This may not make sense, but if I were teaching Latin, I think mom would expect her son to have memorized The Lord's Prayer now, by sound only, who cares about the meaning, and then have him recite for a  school placement test and want to be moved up a year in class, and then complain when he cannot follow a lesson.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.