Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5284788 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22755 on: August 07, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
when a friend of mine had her carpet ripped out to put in tile, we sharpie outlined her kids, like on crime scenes, and took photos. 
it was fun!

SS sighting-
piano mom.
New summer student, brand new to music.  I give him my personally cobbled together book and an assignment notebook, and we begin lessons usng a book I have taught from for years.
After three weeks, he is barely doing any work--almost all pages are blank, zero practicing done, the third lesson was like the first lesson.

I thumb through his book and see that he has answered, completely incorrectly, about three units ahead, a few pages. 

I asked mom, "why is he not doing what I assigned, and skipped ahead to do work he is not ready for and got completely incorrect, and now will ahve to take time to un-do?"

Mom's response-
"oh, he is old enough to do what he wants.  He was bored with the beginning stuff, so I told him to skip ahead.  But he seems not to be learning anything, so we may not continue with lessons.  It seems kind of repetitive."

I stammered out a few things like, "practice in piano is same as practice for a sport-you have to do the exercises first.  Piano is not easy-if it was, everyone could do it!  Please check his work even just once a week to see if he is doing what has been assigned.  He is only 8, I am sure his school has a homework folder that parents check."

She kind of shrugged and went back to tapping on her phone. 

If the kid was retaining information and progressing, I would move him faster. 

This may not make sense, but if I were teaching Latin, I think mom would expect her son to have memorized The Lord's Prayer now, by sound only, who cares about the meaning, and then have him recite for a  school placement test and want to be moved up a year in class, and then complain when he cannot follow a lesson.

You have to wonder why this boy is even taking piano lessons.  His mother obviously couldn't care less if he learns to play or not.

Shalamar

« Reply #22756 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
When I was three, I drew a small face on the wallpaper in our old house.  At the time, my parents were furious.  When the time came to replace the wallpaper years later, I noticed them carefully excising that piece of wallpaper and tucking it away into a drawer.  :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22757 on: August 07, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »

You have to wonder why this boy is even taking piano lessons.  His mother obviously couldn't care less if he learns to play or not.

The boy doesn't seem terribly enthusiastic either!  Wonder who actually decided that he would take piano lessons in the first place?

mmswm

« Reply #22758 on: August 07, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »
They're doing road construction in my town which has narrowed Main St to one lane so that traffic gets to go in one direction and then the other. I totally get how frustrating it is, really I do. The guy behind me, however, just laid on his horn while the traffic was headed in the other direction and we had to wait our turn for a few minutes. Seriously, 3 minutes of a car horn going off nonstop.

I hate car horn snowflakes.  There's always one who lays on his/her horn while we are stuck in a bridge or a tunnel leaving Manhattan during rush hour.  Because you know, all the other drivers are just going to magically move aside if the driver honks his/her horn long enough.

I've been through NYC during rush hour once.  Thankfully, I was not the driver, however, unfortunately, the vehicle I was riding in was an 18-wheeler. The sorts of things passenger vehicle drivers will do to trucks just astound me. These things don't stop on a dime, even if they're only going 10mph. Thank goodness my exbf is an incredible driver, because there were a few SS's that I don't think I would have been able to avoid hitting if I'd been driving my car, and he was able to maneuver a fully loaded truck in order to avoid certain collision.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22759 on: August 07, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »
They're doing road construction in my town which has narrowed Main St to one lane so that traffic gets to go in one direction and then the other. I totally get how frustrating it is, really I do. The guy behind me, however, just laid on his horn while the traffic was headed in the other direction and we had to wait our turn for a few minutes. Seriously, 3 minutes of a car horn going off nonstop.

I hate car horn snowflakes.  There's always one who lays on his/her horn while we are stuck in a bridge or a tunnel leaving Manhattan during rush hour.  Because you know, all the other drivers are just going to magically move aside if the driver honks his/her horn long enough.

I've been through NYC during rush hour once.  Thankfully, I was not the driver, however, unfortunately, the vehicle I was riding in was an 18-wheeler. The sorts of things passenger vehicle drivers will do to trucks just astound me. These things don't stop on a dime, even if they're only going 10mph. Thank goodness my exbf is an incredible driver, because there were a few SS's that I don't think I would have been able to avoid hitting if I'd been driving my car, and he was able to maneuver a fully loaded truck in order to avoid certain collision.

This is exactly why I will not, and never have, driven into NYC> I've been a passenger, but prefer to shell out $23 for the train, and then either subway or taxi to get me where i want to go, if its too far to walk.

mmswm

« Reply #22760 on: August 07, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »

This is exactly why I will not, and never have, driven into NYC> I've been a passenger, but prefer to shell out $23 for the train, and then either subway or taxi to get me where i want to go, if its too far to walk.

Unfortunately one of the ex's regular deliveries is in downtown Manhattan, so he has no choice but to drive his rig through there every week.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #22761 on: August 07, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »
Sigh. Some people.

Ran into another traffic SS on the way back from dinner. We were turning out of the parking lot when SUV SS came roaring out of the gas station across the street, forcing Dad to slam on the brakes and still coming within mere inches of taking off our front end. Now, to be fair to SUV SS, she did have the right-of-way in this case and Dad felt very sheepish for inadvertently pulling out a little too far. That's not the SS part.

The SS part is that she locked eyes with Dad, screaming and hollering and flailing her arms and flipping him the bird because he was preventing her from cutting diagonally across four lanes of traffic to get into the right turn lane. And kept screaming, hollering, flailing and middle-fingering until she actually turned and couldn't see us anymore without causing a very severe accident.

What makes people do things like that? *sigh*
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #22762 on: August 08, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »
When I was three, I drew a small face on the wallpaper in our old house.  At the time, my parents were furious.  When the time came to replace the wallpaper years later, I noticed them carefully excising that piece of wallpaper and tucking it away into a drawer.  :)

This made me smile!

Today's special snowflake.  On the way to the pharmacy, we went up a street that has a small hill and kind of an optical illusion.  As you stand at the bottom and look up, it seems like a straight uphill run.  However; at each place where a road crosses it there is a small dip before it goes uphill again.  The dip is just deep enough that if you are driving uphill you cannot see someone crossing the street on the far side of the cross street until you are cresting the hill entering the cross street.

I will try to draw it.                                                                    /
                                                                                                /
                                                                                              /
                                                                                            /
                                           />_____________________P/
                                          /
                                         /
                                        /
                                car  /

a much gentler slope of course and longer road  - anyway because of the fact you can't see P(erson) until you have started to crest the hill, it is marked "do not cross here" and there is a crosswalk at the /> so you can be seen by the people driving uphill.

Luckily my wife is a great driver so the person talking on his phone while standing in the middle of the uphill lane didn't get hit.                       

Iris

« Reply #22763 on: August 08, 2013, 02:11:47 AM »
My parents and I have an inside joke about leaving cryptic messages for future owners of the house to find (eg, "The treasure is in the attic" or so on).

When my parents had the floor redone on the porch, they asked the workman if they could possibly put a message in the concrete before it dried and the tiles were placed on top. Sadly he advised them against it as it could prevent the tiles from sitting right. We were all rather disappointed.

I know I've told this one, but the above brought it to mind.  My mom used to do her own paint/wallpapering when I was a kid.  When she wallpapered her bedroom, she let me draw on the walls before applying the paper.  That paper remained on the wall for 40 years (it refused to die).  After Mom died, we hired someone to come in and steam off the paper and repaint, and there was my artwork.

I like to paint and semi regularly repaint the rooms in our house. Every time I do a bedroom I write a "secret message" to the child whose room I'm painting, show them, and then paint over it. If you know exactly where it is and look at the right angle you can see the message as the paint is slightly thicker there, but you'd never know otherwise.

We just got new carpet and I'm kicking myself that it didn't even occur to me to put something underneath it. Then again the carpet guys came, pulled up the old carpet, and immediately laid the new so I guess there wasn't much chance :(
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22764 on: August 08, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »
One of my friends put hardwood floors in her living room last year.  Some future homeowner is going to get a big surprise when they rip up those floorboards and find an 8-foot-tall Pinkie Pie on the cement underneath  ;D

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #22765 on: August 08, 2013, 03:42:21 AM »
Many moons ago, when we still lived in Colorado and redid the downstairs shower, I wrote The Star-Spangled Banner on the wall underneath the new wall panels. I'd love to see the face of anyone who might discover that!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

crella

« Reply #22766 on: August 08, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »
One of my friends put hardwood floors in her living room last year.  Some future homeowner is going to get a big surprise when they rip up those floorboards and find an 8-foot-tall Pinkie Pie on the cement underneath  ;D

I had to look it up, I love it!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22767 on: August 08, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
Many moons ago, when we still lived in Colorado and redid the downstairs shower, I wrote The Star-Spangled Banner on the wall underneath the new wall panels. I'd love to see the face of anyone who might discover that!

I'm going to be redoing my main floor flooring within the next 5 years - I might have to do something like this in each room.  I'm not artistic so writing something is a great idea!  I have 'In Flander's Fields' memorized so that might be a good one.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22768 on: August 08, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
Maybe *hidden messages* can get it's own thread :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22769 on: August 08, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »

My DH would LOVE that! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata