Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5767678 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22860 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
Why does one even need a stroller in a restaurant?  For our older two we had one of those infant car seats that you could take out of the car before they were able to sit up.  With our youngest we didn't have one of those car seats but we had bought a high chair that strapped onto a regular chair and could recline to comfortably hold an infant so we'd bring that along. 

The only time I could see bringing a stroller into a restaurant is if you're out on a walk, or you stop into a restaurant in a mall/shopping area, but I'm sure restaurants would be alright so long as you fold your stroller up and store it somewhere near the entrance and out of the way. We did that when we stopped for a drink at a boardwalk on the restaurant.  We got seated at a booth outside, put the littlest one in one of their high chairs, folded up the stroller and put it out of the way of wait staff.  (we were in a corner so they didn't have to get past us and there was enough space between our booth and the one to the right of us that it wasn't in the way.)

But then that's the boardwalk so I'm sure they'd expect families with little ones would have a stroller. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22861 on: August 15, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
What we call the 'Stroller Wars' have been going on in our neighborhood for years. 

There are lots and lots of children here. 

Most of the businesses are in 19th and early 20th century buildings.  Retail spaces and restaurants are not large. 

Many families favor the style of stroller that can be described as 'Baby's First Hummer'.  There simply isn't room for them in many places. 

The residents also enjoy a good confrontation.

A few years ago there was a protest about the Boy Scouts.  It was said that the organization was too 'militaristic'. 

There was a major and prolonged struggle over the building of a medical arts building.  It was said that it would spoil the character of the neighborhood.  What historic structures would be torn down?  How many residents would be displaced? Exactly none.  The offices were to replace an ugly gravel
parking lot. 

We're under the approach to a major airport.  During peak times, a plane will be going over every 90 seconds or so but you can only hear them when the atmospheric conditions are just right. Every five years or so, a group of new residents will agitate to get the approach routes moved. Good luck on that one.

The local food co-op has been picketed over the decision to add a meat counter.  It's also been under pressure to boycott Israeli products.  There are only about a half-dozen Israeli products the co-op stocks. 

Reading the neighborhood paper can be very entertaining. 

MrTango

« Reply #22862 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
Driving SS story from a friend of mine who works in road construction:

Woman drives her car around the barricades and barrels into the construction zone in order to get past the traffic that was backed up due to the lane closures.

At 60 mph, she drives off the end of the pavement into the area where the road is being rebuilt.  From the pictures my friend sent me, it looks like the front end of her car is pretty much toast.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22863 on: August 15, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
Did she survive?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MrTango

« Reply #22864 on: August 15, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
Did she survive?

I don't know for sure, but since my friend didn't mention a fatality and given that the passenger compartment is intact and there's no evidence of starring on the windshield, I'm guessing her problems are more legal than medical at this point.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22865 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »
What we call the 'Stroller Wars' have been going on in our neighborhood for years. 

Most of the businesses are in 19th and early 20th century buildings.  Retail spaces and restaurants are not large. 

Many families favor the style of stroller that can be described as 'Baby's First Hummer'.  There simply isn't room for them in many places. 

The residents also enjoy a good confrontation.

A few years ago there was a protest about the Boy Scouts.  It was said that the organization was too 'militaristic'. 

There was a major and prolonged struggle over the building of a medical arts building.  It was said that it would spoil the character of the neighborhood.  What historic structures would be torn down?  How many residents would be displaced? Exactly none.  The offices were to replace an ugly gravel
parking lot. 

We're under the approach to a major airport.  During peak times, a plane will be going over every 90 seconds or so but you can only hear them when the atmospheric conditions are just right. Every five years or so, a group of new residents will agitate to get the approach routes moved. Good luck on that one.

The local food co-op has been picketed over the decision to add a meat counter.  It's also been under pressure to boycott Israeli products.  There are only about a half-dozen Israeli products the co-op stocks. 

Reading the neighborhood paper can be very entertaining.

Your neighborhood sounds like Park Slope (Brooklyn).  :)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22866 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

*chokes on coffee laughing* I was thinking the same thing

Midge

« Reply #22867 on: August 15, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »

*chokes on coffee laughing* I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the Bucktown area of Chicago ...

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #22868 on: August 15, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »

I may have mentioned it in this thread before, but our complex's property manager has told me that we had a new resident move in who immediately demanded that the property manager get the overhead flight path moved. This is the main north approach to LAX from up the Pacific coast! When they're going over our place they're still a couple of thousand feet up and you cannot hear them!

On the other hand, when the inversion layer is in place, you can sometimes hear planes warming their engines at LAX. It's a very freaky phenomenon, much like the whispering gallery in St. Paul's, London.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #22869 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
I used to live right down the street from the flight line of an Air Force base, and we got used to the noise.  I remember having my 8th birthday party the same day as the Thunderbirds were performing (we had the best seat for that - right on our front lawn) and having to shout over the noise, but it really didn't bother those of us who lived in the area.  If you can't handle aircraft noise, don't move near an airport!  It's that simple.  And if you can't find anywhere else to live, buy earplugs and a white noise machine.  Don't try to make the world over to suit you, because it won't happen.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22870 on: August 15, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »
My grandma lives in Mascot, right near Sydney airport. Planes fly overhead all the time, bit they did used to scare me when I was younger and I thought they were going to land on the house.

A house I lived in was in a the path of a heliport, cue the jokes about incoming wounded...

AngelicGamer

« Reply #22871 on: August 15, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »
My grandma lives in Mascot, right near Sydney airport. Planes fly overhead all the time, bit they did used to scare me when I was younger and I thought they were going to land on the house.

I live close to O'Hare and am on a flight path from time to time.  I am scared that, one of these days, a plane is going to land on my house.  However, that fear is only when the planes are low enough that the sound will rattle the house a bit. 

In my defense, I only call O'Hare about that when it's happening between midnight and 3 am.  I'm either falling asleep and unable to or it wakes mom up and she's cranky as heck.  Every time I call, I am polite to the operator and say that I only want to remind the airlines not to fly too low.  They do want to know about it and I think they remind the airlines not to fly too low or something. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22872 on: August 15, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »
Sydney has curfew, no plane may land between 11am and 6am. It's a federal law.

Iris

« Reply #22873 on: August 15, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

A house I lived in was in a the path of a heliport, cue the jokes about incoming wounded...

When my daughter was younger her greatest treat was to visit her uncle under the flight path. He would take her up to the roof of his apartment building to watch the planes go over. It was the best thing in the world to her 2 year old self.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22874 on: August 15, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
Where my IL's live, there are freight trains running by every so often, planes flying overhead, and then there's the highway that is not too far from their home, either.

She says when they move again she wants to find a place far from planes, trains and automobiles. (well other than a small amount of rural traffic)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata