Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5294488 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22875 on: August 15, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »
Sydney has curfew, no plane may land between 11am and 6am. It's a federal law.

Iris

« Reply #22876 on: August 15, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »
My grandma lives in Mascot, right near Sydney airport. Planes fly overhead all the time, bit they did used to scare me when I was younger and I thought they were going to land on the house.

A house I lived in was in a the path of a heliport, cue the jokes about incoming wounded...

When my daughter was younger her greatest treat was to visit her uncle under the flight path. He would take her up to the roof of his apartment building to watch the planes go over. It was the best thing in the world to her 2 year old self.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22877 on: August 15, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
Where my IL's live, there are freight trains running by every so often, planes flying overhead, and then there's the highway that is not too far from their home, either.

She says when they move again she wants to find a place far from planes, trains and automobiles. (well other than a small amount of rural traffic)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22878 on: August 15, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
There is a very Special Snowflake who bought a townhouse across the street from a wastewater treatment plant.  The plant is on the shoreline.  We're in Hawaii, so shoreline property is very desirable.  Although the plant was there before the townhouse, and long before SS bought her unit, Ms. SS repeatedly complains about the odors and demands that they move the plant.  The plant discharges effluent through an ocean outfall.  They can't move the plant.

Of course, if the plant wasn't there, her property would be very valuable shoreline property.  That would be a bonanza for her since she bought it at lower than market value because there is a wastewater treatment plant across the street.  So if the city isn't going to move that stinking plant, she thinks they owe her for the difference between what her property is worth now and what it would be worth if there were no plant across the street.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22879 on: August 15, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
I used to live at the top of a very, very high hill. It was directly in the flight path to Ft. Knox. Military aircraft (frequently helicopters) flying very low overhead very late at night was a frequent occurrence. I got used to it after a while.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22880 on: August 15, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »
This was more brain not making connections but it was funny

Location Houston Zoo in Herman park in the shadow of the Texas Medical Center

Woman 1: Sigh little Johnny is so disappointed usually we see  a couple of helicopters when we come to the zoo.  Looks up at hospital helicopter pad behind Children's Zoo area. I wish he could see a helicopter today.

Woman 2(friend of woman1) You do know those are life flight helicopters right.

Woman 1: Looks upset hand to mouth. Oh my I never thought about why they were flying over here.

Actually it is kind of neat the zoo/museum area is close to the medical center. It isn't uncommon to see people that are probably being treated at one of the hospitals (face masks being worn, other medical equipment being used, have the patient bracelets on) at the zoo or museums during slow times (and cooler weather for the zoo)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22881 on: August 15, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
I had an aunt and uncle that lived near O'Hare when I was little. I loved how the house rattled whenever a plane went over head, which was very often.

I also, grew up in the flight path of the Great Lakes Naval Base. I loved watching those HUGE planes flying over head. You could hear their rumble long before you could see them.

And because of where I grew up, half way between Milwaukee and Chicago, way western Kenosha County, during extra busy times, or holidays, we were in the over flow flight paths of both of those airports.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #22882 on: August 15, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »
My strange friend informed me today that she had invented the idea of putting bottled water into the freezer so that she'd have cold drinking water for a long time on a hot day.  She was actually a bit incensed that so many people were copying her idea.  I just kept my mouth shut.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22883 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »
My strange friend informed me today that she had invented the idea of putting bottled water into the freezer so that she'd have cold drinking water for a long time on a hot day.  She was actually a bit incensed that so many people were copying her idea.  I just kept my mouth shut.

W O W

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22884 on: August 15, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »

I'm having a flash back to the original Star Trek, with Chekov saying something about water bottles being frozen for cold water having been inwented in Roosia - and if there was no freezer, in winter you just put them outside on the window sill...

What can I say - I really liked that schtick!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Desdemona

« Reply #22885 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »
All this week I have had the same woman behind me on my drive home from work. She tailgates me the entire time and as soon as an opening in the right lane opens up she zips over to pass me. She also makes sure to look over and glare at me as she does it. I'm well aware that as the slower car I should move over but don't get mad at me when you don't give me time to actually move!

Today was fun though. She was tailgating me and then a truck started tailgating her. I moved over to the right lane as soon as possible so the speed demon had the open road to speed on. However, she drove under the speed limit for over five miles which trapped the truck behind her. So I guess she is so special that only she is allowed to harass other drivers.

All this summer there have been a ton of cops on this part of the highway too and everyday I hope there will be one to pull this woman over because she is going to cause an accident at some point.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22886 on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »

Tell her I expect a $5 royalty fee every time she does that, as I've been doing it since high school. Dibs!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22887 on: August 15, 2013, 10:57:56 PM »
There is a very Special Snowflake who bought a townhouse across the street from a wastewater treatment plant.  The plant is on the shoreline.  We're in Hawaii, so shoreline property is very desirable.  Although the plant was there before the townhouse, and long before SS bought her unit, Ms. SS repeatedly complains about the odors and demands that they move the plant.  The plant discharges effluent through an ocean outfall.  They can't move the plant.

Of course, if the plant wasn't there, her property would be very valuable shoreline property.  That would be a bonanza for her since she bought it at lower than market value because there is a wastewater treatment plant across the street.  So if the city isn't going to move that stinking plant, she thinks they owe her for the difference between what her property is worth now and what it would be worth if there were no plant across the street.

Evil me would tell your friend "Oh well, at least DoWiSeTrePla is shut down on the weekends" >:D

*In this article, they suggest title dropping to increase chances of a hotel upgrade  ::)
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advisor/what-you-should-really-say-to-score-a-hotel-upgrade/story-e6frfqfr-1226697585855
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:24:11 AM by TeamBhakta »

snowdragon

« Reply #22888 on: August 16, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »
I volunteered for the registration and packet pick up for a Major running race that will take place on Saturday. The registration and pick up was Thursday ( 8-15-13). There are well over 4,000 runners registered and many of them were there Thursday for the first day of pick ups ( they will be able to pick up Friday and Saturday before the race.)
  I was there handing out race t-shirt ( that you pay for through your registration fees) and Volunteers were given shirts, also. /bg

I had several folks ask for free t-shirts and packets for their kids. while most of them accepted a "they belong to the people who registered for the race" I had one woman who when I handed her, the packet that went with the one registration she had paid for, raided her voice to me and stated "WHAT ABOUT MY KIDS!!!". I asked what she meant and she said they wanted shirts and packets.   The 3 kids were not registered and she had no intention of registering them ( so they could get their own race shirts/packets) yet wanted to have them get the same things that the people who had paid for them - meaning 3 people who did pay would not have had the correct sizes ( and possibly nothing at all).
  I had to redirect her to the race's paid staff, to take up the matter with them - she was not pleased at all when the  staff members she talked to told her the same thing I told her.
  When I left 35 minutes later - she was still trying to find a way to get her kids race shirts. ( She could have bought similar shirts in the store for the kids, but wanted the same ones as the racers.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22889 on: August 16, 2013, 08:22:39 AM »
What we call the 'Stroller Wars' have been going on in our neighborhood for years. 

There are lots and lots of children here. 

Your neighborhood sounds like Park Slope (Brooklyn).  :)

*chokes on coffee laughing* I was thinking the same thing

That's the place.  MIL has been pushing us to move to the country. Why would we want to do that when living here is so entertaining?

BTW, the September, 2013 issue of Harper's mentions the food co-op's boycott of Israeli products.