Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5737177 times)

magicdomino

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23085 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
Why would the kid have a BB gun in the car in the first place? I wonder if it's his usual practice to shoot out the car window...

Not to mention, he would have had to shoot past his mother's face, assuming the service window was on her side of the car.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #23086 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
A few summers ago, some one decided that cars  parked in the street and driveways would make excellent target practice.

Neighbors and police did not agree.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #23087 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »
Mild SS parent today. I had to go to the courthouse to pick up some registration forms. Right after I came up to the counter a woman was called to the window next to me. She had a small boy with her, and I heard her telling him to come here, stop doing that, be quiet, etc in just the few seconds it took her to walk from the door to the counter. Then she stopped talking so I figured he listened to her. I wasn't really paying attention; I have kids and have said those things to them in public, plus I was busy with my transaction. All of a sudden there was a huge GONG!!! sound. I turned around and her child was playing in the lobby around the metal stanchions with the elastic line dividers between them. He had knocked one at least mostly over, but it came back upright because of the elastic. He froze for a minute and looked at his mom, but she didn't even look up from what she was doing. He immediately went back to running around. She must have really trusted him; he was about four feet away from the doors, which are not visible from the counter. He could have easily run outside and she'd never have known.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23088 on: August 26, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
Why would the kid have a BB gun in the car in the first place? I wonder if it's his usual practice to shoot out the car window...

Not to mention, he would have had to shoot past his mother's face, assuming the service window was on her side of the car.

Unless he was in the back seat, but still...

I would love to hear how this plays out.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #23089 on: August 26, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »
I was looking for th eBB gun story and found this from last April.Long Island Mom Accused Of Taking Kids On BB Gun Drive-By Shooting Spree [quoteProsecutors said the 43-year-old East Northport woman took her 13- and 15-year-old children on joyrides, arming them with slingshots and soft-air guns and encouraging them to rapid fire BB pellets at parked cars in Islandia, Hauppauge and Commack.
During the drive-bys, prosecutors said Becker even picked up eggs and flung them at cars, too.[/quote]

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

EMuir

« Reply #23090 on: August 26, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »
Jerry Seinfeld had a rant about why he felt justified leaving his trash behind in the theater...he paid $7.50 (it's an old routine :-) ) for his ticket, the theater was making enough money, let them clean it up.

Except of course he wasn't hurting the theater owner one tiny bit, just adding one more little bit of aggravation to the lives of the minimum wage employees who have to clean up after his lazy, entitled millionaire butt.

If I drop the stuff, by mistake, then yeah, that is what the employees are paid for, though I feel pretty crummy that I've made their jobs harder. If I throw the stuff on the floor, or even LEAVE it there intentionally, I'm jist being a jerk.

Rob

I don't see how leaving an empty popcorn bag on the floor of a theatre is making someone's job harder.  Their job is to clean up.  I could see how stepping on popcorn and grinding it into the carpet, or spilling soda, or leaving it wedged in your seat, could be an issue.  In fact, if everyone took their trash with them and was perfectly clean, there would be people losing their jobs because there would be nothing to clean up.

Goosey

« Reply #23091 on: August 26, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Their job is to take out the garbage and sweep, not pick up your trash. It's your job to throw out your own trash - empty or not.

ETA: I used to work in a theater. There is plenty of work for people to do without people deciding that they weren't going to pick up their own gargage and toss it. Seriously, every theater I've been to has trash receptacles at the bottom of the stairs and before you get out the door. You can't miss them!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:23:41 PM by Goosey »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23092 on: August 26, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
I doubt they'd lose their job because people were throwing things away.  There's still kids who accidentally spill popcorn, candy or drinks.  Lord, I spilled so much popcorn as a kid that for a while I wasn't allowed to hold the bag.  And while parents might try to clean up what they can see there's only so much they can get to.  So there would still be stuff to clean up.

Not to mention, with as buttery and greasy as that popcorn can be and some theaters having a pump so you can add as little or as much butter as you want, some spills of popcorn might turn out to be messy even if someone does try to clean up after themselves.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #23093 on: August 26, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
Some customers seem to have the odd idea that people who work in stores or theatres or wherever will be standing around bored unless they (the customers) do something about it.  I seem to recall a story from NotAlwaysRight about a customer dumping a pile of newly-folded sweaters on the floor deliberately, then turning to the aghast clerk with a smile and saying "There, now you have something to do!".   :o

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #23094 on: August 26, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
Some customers seem to have the odd idea that people who work in stores or theatres or wherever will be standing around bored unless they (the customers) do something about it.  I seem to recall a story from NotAlwaysRight about a customer dumping a pile of newly-folded sweaters on the floor deliberately, then turning to the aghast clerk with a smile and saying "There, now you have something to do!".   :o
Ooooh, I saw that one.  It burned me up.

It's not an issue of whether "It's their job" or not, it's an issue of common courtesy. Leaving your trash or messing up sweaters, either is extremely rude.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #23095 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
If I ran a business and some customer pulled that sweater-dump, the next thing getting dumped would be that customer's butt. Right onto the sidewalk. People do crap like that because they think they can get away with it. Perhaps some negative consequences would teach them better.

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #23096 on: August 26, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Yah, what many others have said. 

It may be "their job" to clean up the trash and spills, but it is never not rude to deliberately make a mess, whether it's by dumping your popcorn on the floor or the sweaters from the display. 

snowdragon

« Reply #23097 on: August 26, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
I went with my SIL to pick up the kids from school today. As we were picking up the kids  a father walks into my niece's room and says "What's this list all about, public school is supposed to be free. IF you want my kid to have this stuff --you blanket-blank pay for it!" Slammed the school supply list on the desk and walked out.

Honestly, we spent less than $10 for the entire list buying on sales, the list is not that onerous - and if you can't afford it, you can go to one of the food kitchens show them that you can't and get free stuff.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #23098 on: August 26, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »
I went with my SIL to pick up the kids from school today. As we were picking up the kids  a father walks into my niece's room and says "What's this list all about, public school is supposed to be free. IF you want my kid to have this stuff --you blanket-blank pay for it!" Slammed the school supply list on the desk and walked out.

Honestly, we spent less than $10 for the entire list buying on sales, the list is not that onerous - and if you can't afford it, you can go to one of the food kitchens show them that you can't and get free stuff.

Where has he been for the last, oh, 20 years or so?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

magicdomino

« Reply #23099 on: August 26, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
Heck, even in the Dark Ages, we started the year with school supplies.  I don't remember the teacher sending home a list; certainly it would have been a lot shorter (I'm pretty sure no one was expected to bring boxes of tissues, and hand sanitizer didn't exist.)  But we were expected to have pencils, notebook, eraser, crayons, etc. 

Come to think of it, there must of been some kind of list.  In first grade, I was supposed to have thick pencils for some reason.  The teacher kept telling me to use the fat pencils; my mother kept refusing to buy fat pencils because we had lots of regular pencils.  Why did they keep telling me instead of each other?   ???