Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5238369 times)

Kariachi

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23190 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
Mom was also named after someone and went by a common nickname for that name. When she first went to school, she didn't really realize that her name was Proper name instead of nickname. So when the teacher called roll, Mom kept looking around for Aunt Proper Name because her Name was nickname.

We had that issue when I first started preschool. Let's say my name is 'Jessica'. Well, for the prior three-four years I had been referred to by my parents solely as, say, 'Ferret' and my other relatives used similar nicknames for me that were loosely related to my name at best.

So I go into preschool, where they keep talking to or mentioning a 'Jessica' and I'm just ignoring them.

They finally stopped my mom at the door when she came to pick me up, all worried. They'd been the only ones talking to me, I hadn't been acknowledging them, they were worried I might be deaf. Explained the whole situation, my mom turned toward me, called "Yo, Ferret, we're leaving!" at which point I light up, jumped up and ran to meet her.

After three to four years of being called 'Ferret' I'd figured that was my name. And was it any surprise when the closest anyone came to calling me 'Jessica' was a few aunts that referred to me as 'Jezebel'.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23191 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:57 PM »
Okay, please tell me I'm not the special snowflake here  :-\  (Kinda long, but I'm grumpy right now.)

I got a Groupon from a local cleaning service for two two-hour housecleaning sessions.  I am actually in the market for a cleaning service (I go back and forth about whether it's worth the money, but I hate having a dirty house and I never manage to stay on top of it!) and most places have a "first-time fee" which is 2-3x what the normal rate is - so if they'd normally charge you $100 each time they come out, the first time may be $350.  I suspect it's a surcharge because they assume your house really needs the extra help the first time . . . Anyway, I was hoping if I liked this service, they could skip the first-time fee (since they would have just been here twice for the Groupon) and overall it would save me some money.

The first session went . . . meh.  They worked very fast, which was nice.  But I had given them my top priorities to start with because I wasn't sure how long it would take to clean them and I wanted to make sure things like the bathrooms got done.  And when they finished with the list of things I gave them, they left - after 90 minutes (so half an hour short of the cleaning session I paid for).  I was dealing with Bittybartfast at the time so I hadn't realized they were done until they were gone.  There were also things I couldn't tell if they had cleaned - the tub had a bit of dust in it which could have been just stuck to the sponge or could have been "they only did a halfway job," for example, and it looked like they had just wiped around the stuff on the bathroom counter instead of actually picking things up and cleaning underneath them.

This time I had a longer and more specific list of what I wanted done, since I had a better idea of how much they could get done in two hours.  And once again, they finished up in an hour and a half.  Except as they're in the driveway I looked at the stairs and what do you know - the same bits of lint I've been stepping over all month.  So I chased out after them and asked if they had done the stairs, and they said they did but they'd come in and do them again, and I think they did them right this time.

And since there was still ~25 minutes to go that I had paid for, I asked them to bring some of their stuff back in and do things like dust the living room ("do the living room" seems to have translated into "vacuum only") and re-do the microwave to get the stuff off that their first pass didn't get un-stuck.  The cleaning ladies weren't really mad, or rude, or anything, but they both had this confused look like "why would you be asking us to do this when we're already done?"

I get that they were probably looking forward to lunch and I delayed that.  And I get that the stuff I wanted them to do at the end wasn't strictly on my original list.  But I had expected "two hours of cleaning" to involve them cleaning what I asked and then if there was time left, coming back to me and saying "anything else you want us to do?" before calling it a day.  Am I unreasonable to want that?  I've never worked as a cleaner (other than my own house!), so I'm not up on all the housekeeping etiquette or whatnot, but it seems like "two hours" should be "two hours or until the homeowner says you're done, whichever comes first."

So obviously I'm not going to use this company on a regular basis.  But if/when they call me, do I tell them why I'm not continuing?  Or do I just say I'm not looking for someone right now?  I don't know whether one of the two ladies who came today was the owner, or just an employee, or what.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23192 on: August 28, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »
Is that like a 50-minute massage at the hourly rate? Very odd and I would call the management, if they have one.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23193 on: August 28, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
Is that like a 50-minute massage at the hourly rate? Very odd and I would call the management, if they have one.

That's part of my dilemma - the cleaning service is clearly part of a chain (NOBODY would have a three-minute vanity jingle as their hold music unless someone at national headquarters told them they had to!) but I don't know how big the local one is.  It may be just two people trying to jump-start a new business by advertising on Groupon, or they may have a dedicated office staff and two dozen cleaners.  I just don't know, so if I complain it may end up being complaints to the very person who did a mediocre job cleaning my house  :-\

Phoebelion

« Reply #23194 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
The way you describe what occurred, I'm with you on this one.  I wouldn't hire them on a regular basis.

But what happened may be based on how the workers are paid.   Not for how well they did the job, but on the time they worked.

Long time ago, I worked for a cleaning company to supplement my income.  I was assigned to clean an office building 3 evenings a week.   The office building was charged for 15 hours per week to do a specified list of chores.  And I got paid for 15 hours worth of work.  It made no difference if it took me 4 hours a week, or 50 hours a week - I got paid for 15 hours. 

It would up taking me approximately 9 hours per week.  And even then, the cleaning company received compliments on my work, and how I went above and beyond what was on the list.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23195 on: August 28, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
Okay, please tell me I'm not the special snowflake here  :-\  (Kinda long, but I'm grumpy right now.)

The first session went . . . meh.  They worked very fast, which was nice.  But I had given them my top priorities to start with because I wasn't sure how long it would take to clean them and I wanted to make sure things like the bathrooms got done.  And when they finished with the list of things I gave them, they left - after 90 minutes (so half an hour short of the cleaning session I paid for).  I was dealing with Bittybartfast at the time so I hadn't realized they were done until they were gone.   This time I had a longer and more specific list of what I wanted done, since I had a better idea of how much they could get done in two hours.  And once again, they finished up in an hour and a half.  Except as they're in the driveway I looked at the stairs and what do you know - the same bits of lint I've been stepping over all month.  So I chased out after them and asked if they had done the stairs, and they said they did but they'd come in and do them again, and I think they did them right this time.

And since there was still ~25 minutes to go that I had paid for, I asked them to bring some of their stuff back in and do things like dust the living room ("do the living room" seems to have translated into "vacuum only") and re-do the microwave to get the stuff off that their first pass didn't get un-stuck.  The cleaning ladies weren't really mad, or rude, or anything, but they both had this confused look like "why would you be asking us to do this when we're already done?"

I get that they were probably looking forward to lunch and I delayed that.  And I get that the stuff I wanted them to do at the end wasn't strictly on my original list.  But I had expected "two hours of cleaning" to involve them cleaning what I asked and then if there was time left, coming back to me and saying "anything else you want us to do?" before calling it a day.  Am I unreasonable to want that?  I've never worked as a cleaner (other than my own house!), so I'm not up on all the housekeeping etiquette or whatnot, but it seems like "two hours" should be "two hours or until the homeowner says you're done, whichever comes first."

So obviously I'm not going to use this company on a regular basis.  But if/when they call me, do I tell them why I'm not continuing?  Or do I just say I'm not looking for someone right now?  I don't know whether one of the two ladies who came today was the owner, or just an employee, or what.

I don't think you're being an SS at all. if you paid for 2 hours, in spite them finishing everything you asked them to do early, as you said, they should have come to you and asked what else they could do, or at the very least, done a better job than they did.

Carotte

« Reply #23196 on: August 28, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »

That's part of my dilemma - the cleaning service is clearly part of a chain (NOBODY would have a three-minute vanity jingle as their hold music unless someone at national headquarters told them they had to!) but I don't know how big the local one is.  It may be just two people trying to jump-start a new business by advertising on Groupon, or they may have a dedicated office staff and two dozen cleaners.  I just don't know, so if I complain it may end up being complaints to the very person who did a mediocre job cleaning my house  :-\

Then they need even more feedback!
It could be because it's a Groupon deal, then you have two scenarios: they are either employed in a big structure, their pay shouldn't be any different just because you are paying as a deal, but maybe they have to work more (or they have a really really bad-word boss but that's basically their problem, nothing you can do about it).
Or they are starting their business and actually have to be told how to do things and that you don't leave before A) telling the owner and B) making sure everything is right.
They might not care, or they might improve and be happy to have some feedback.

Anyway, who leaves from the first cleaning (or contract) job without checking with the 'employer'? Unless they where told "I won't be here/I won't be available, please see yourself out"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #23197 on: August 28, 2013, 12:59:58 PM »
I've never used a cleaning service.  But I would think that two hours means, well, two hours.  With *maybe* the exception of, you aren't home, and you left a list, and they took care of the list, and they can't see anything else that needs to be done.  If you're home, I think they should check back with you when they've done everything on your list (or, if you didn't have a list, their own list of what they usually do), and see if you have other things for them to do.  I think it's a good idea to have several backup chores and give them basically a second list, so they don't have to *keep* coming back to you.  But once is reasonable.

I'd love to hire a cleaning service like that, but after your story, I'm a little reluctant.  :(

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23198 on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
I think you erred by not giving them the list of everything you wanted them to do.  Most cleaning services do not come back to you to ask if there is anything else after they are done.  They assume that the instructions you give them before they start is everything you need done that day. 

We have a cleaning service in every two weeks.  The first time they came out, we walked through the house with them going over exactly what we wanted them to do.  The person in charge told us it might take an extra 15-30 min, but what we wanted was doable.  The did go over about 15 min, but they had done everything we asked.  We did notice that some things were not as clean as we would have liked and so we followed up behind them.  Based on that experience we scaled back a bit on the list of stuff we wanted them to do in order to make sure the cleanliness was up to our standards.  Its worked out great for about 3 years now

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23199 on: August 28, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »
I think they should have stayed for 2 hours because that is what you paid for.  And I wouldn't be calling this company to do any more work for me.

Whatever company/individual you do go with, though, will likely quote you for the cleaning you want done on a regular basis and it will be the same price each time, regardless of how long it takes, like Phoebelion indicated.  In that case, if they quoted you $100 for 3 hours work each visit and managed to complete everything in 2.5 hours, that would be fine.

A Groupon is to drum up business.  You'd think they'd be doing their absolute best work in order to get you to be a regular client.

Which reminds me, I need to call the number of the person I ran into at Costco and see if she can come give me a quote...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23200 on: August 28, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
Your list of priorities was fine.  But next time, include a line that states other things they can do to fill up the 2 hours you have paid for.  And state it that way.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23201 on: August 28, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
I honestly wouldn't have been concerned at all about their leaving early.

I would, however, have been concerned that what they did do they did not do well!

Shalamar

« Reply #23202 on: August 28, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
To this day, I regret not telling a certain cleaning company why I stopped using them ...

Here's the story:  I came home one day and found that my makeup mirror was broken.  It was the light-up kind, so it cost a few bucks, and the mirror part was cracked.  It had been fine in the morning, the cleaners came that day, and when I came home at night, I found the damage.  I called the company, and they flatly denied being responsible.  "It was like that when we got there."  I called BS on that one, and I insisted that they pay for a replacement.   They very grudgingly coughed up the money, griping that I'd bought the most expensive replacement I could find (I hadn't), and then they demanded that I give them the broken one (it had already been thrown away).  I decided to find another cleaner after that.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #23203 on: August 28, 2013, 01:21:54 PM »
I had a cleaning service come to add 'sparkle' before my Bunco party.  They worked so quickly that I went and cleared the master bath, excited that they would have time to do a bit in there, even though it was not on my list of what needed work for the party.

Well, the last 45 mins, they became super slo mo, realizing they were at the end of the list, and not realizing I had more for them. 

So, call it whatever, but I will not be using that company again.

And, am I the only one with the special kind of floor that AFTER you sweep and mop, that once it dries, it needs a sweeping again, from dried dust, or whatever?!?

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23204 on: August 28, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
^ Wow. I would not use that company again either.