Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5759138 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23220 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
My town has an annual bike fest, and every year, a local radio host BEGS the riders to "please wear clothes."

Not for safety of road rash or even sunburn, just, "ewww, my eyes, my eyes!"

That wouldn't go over well in Seattle.  The Fremont Solstice Parade is pretty famous for featuring bicyclists wearing only body paint.   >:D

Then there's the "Freedom From Pants" ride in Minneapolis every 4th of July.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

audhs

« Reply #23221 on: August 29, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
My town has an annual bike fest, and every year, a local radio host BEGS the riders to "please wear clothes."

That wouldn't go over well in Seattle.  The Fremont Solstice Parade is pretty famous for featuring bicyclists wearing only body paint.   >:D

that's got to be ah really uncomfortatble.  :o

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #23222 on: August 29, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I live in a city that is associated with a certain type of motorcycle.  In fact, there is a fairly big party going on all weekend here celebrating this motorcycle and it means that devotees of these bikes are coming in from all around the world.  It doesn't really affect me much - more traffic, can't get a hotel room so my parents aren't coming this weekend as potentially discussed, but really - they come, they spend money, they have fun and then they leave. 

But there are a few SS riders.  Such as the ones today - a couple driving down the road, one bike in each lane, next to each other, going 5 - 10 miles below the speed limit (they'd speed up and slow down a lot).  During rush hour, on a major road...I was the first car behind them and the line of cars behind me was getting longer and longer. 

So annoying!!!

If I am guessing correctly, you live in Wisconsin, about 60 miles due north of the WI/IL state line. Many years ago, when that particular motorcycle celebrated an aniversary, we were camping at a campground that quickly filled with bikes and riders for the celebratory weekend. Thankfully, they were all very well behaved.

nuit93

« Reply #23223 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »

that's got to be ah really uncomfortatble.  :o

I'm sure there are special bicycle seats available for those who...need them.

Jules1980

« Reply #23224 on: August 30, 2013, 05:48:25 AM »
My parents and I have an inside joke about leaving cryptic messages for future owners of the house to find (eg, "The treasure is in the attic" or so on).

When my parents had the floor redone on the porch, they asked the workman if they could possibly put a message in the concrete before it dried and the tiles were placed on top. Sadly he advised them against it as it could prevent the tiles from sitting right. We were all rather disappointed.

I know I've told this one, but the above brought it to mind.  My mom used to do her own paint/wallpapering when I was a kid.  When she wallpapered her bedroom, she let me draw on the walls before applying the paper.  That paper remained on the wall for 40 years (it refused to die).  After Mom died, we hired someone to come in and steam off the paper and repaint, and there was my artwork.

We let my DD do this with the concrete floor in our bedroom before we had laminate wood floors put down.  She had a blast drawing on the floors.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #23225 on: August 30, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »

A guy we know went for the first time, he came back REALLY disapointed. I am pretty sure he was expecting pretty young girls in body paint, Nope, "It was full of old fat men!" We got a good laugh out of it.  For those not in Seattle, Fremont is the "hippy" district and I have been told that a good chunk of the parade would not be out of place at Burning Man. I have not gone myself as I hate going down there with all the traffic. 

mmswm

« Reply #23226 on: August 30, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »

A guy we know went for the first time, he came back REALLY disapointed. I am pretty sure he was expecting pretty young girls in body paint, Nope, "It was full of old fat men!" We got a good laugh out of it.  For those not in Seattle, Fremont is the "hippy" district and I have been told that a good chunk of the parade would not be out of place at Burning Man. I have not gone myself as I hate going down there with all the traffic.

Tell him to go to Fantasy Fest in Key West. Granted, he'll see things he doesn't want to see, but he'll also see the young pretty girls.  ;D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

carol1412

« Reply #23227 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
I live in a city that is associated with a certain type of motorcycle.  In fact, there is a fairly big party going on all weekend here celebrating this motorcycle and it means that devotees of these bikes are coming in from all around the world.  It doesn't really affect me much - more traffic, can't get a hotel room so my parents aren't coming this weekend as potentially discussed, but really - they come, they spend money, they have fun and then they leave. 

But there are a few SS riders.  Such as the ones today - a couple driving down the road, one bike in each lane, next to each other, going 5 - 10 miles below the speed limit (they'd speed up and slow down a lot).  During rush hour, on a major road...I was the first car behind them and the line of cars behind me was getting longer and longer. 

So annoying!!!

If I am guessing correctly, you live in Wisconsin, about 60 miles due north of the WI/IL state line. Many years ago, when that particular motorcycle celebrated an aniversary, we were camping at a campground that quickly filled with bikes and riders for the celebratory weekend. Thankfully, they were all very well behaved.

I've had to take a different route home from work for the last two days. My normal road takes me past the biggest suburban dealer on the west side of the city. That intersection is normally backed up because it feeds onto and off the highway. Add in all the riders trying to get into the dealership (and neighboring strip club) and you've got major, major back ups. Fortunately the police were out yesterday directing traffic. Today will be absolutely nuts with everyone trying to get downtown for the concert!

nuit93

« Reply #23228 on: August 30, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »

Well, none of us really ever tan...the body paint is to keep the cyclists from blinding each other :)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #23229 on: August 30, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »

Well, none of us really ever tan...the body paint is to keep the cyclists from blinding each other :)

Where is the like button when you need it?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23230 on: August 30, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
Showing my age here - back when I was a child, the custom was to leave your popcorn box/drink cup on the floor under your seat when you left the theater.  Of course, that was in the dark ages, before cell phones and when theaters actually DID have staff beyond the concession stand and ticket booth (and stages/curtains in front of the screen, and the big blue Bulova clock sign with the local jeweler's name over the exit, and continuous shows from 1-9 PM).  I really feel sorry for that staff retroactively - they must have had a heck of a time after the free kiddie matinees in summer.

I do believe now is better, when you are asked to please clean up and they do provide trash receptacles at the doors (they didn't, back in the day).  It certainly results in a more pleasant atmosphere in the auditorium.  And the spaces between shows (no more coming in in the middle and leaving when you get to the place you started) also help in getting the place neatened up.

When I was at a "Broadway" type show in London, you were expected to leave your garbage under the seat.  They didn't have trash cans (fear of bombs at the time). It was strange putting my empty ice cream container under a nice theater seat.

snowfire

« Reply #23231 on: August 31, 2013, 12:33:15 AM »
I saw today's Two Lumps cartoon and howled.  Special Snowflakes are all over.
http://www.twolumps.net/comics/20130830.jpg

I think I agree with Eben...

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #23232 on: August 31, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »
No, Mr. Tango, it's West Edmonton Mall here in Alberta.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #23233 on: August 31, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
I saw today's Two Lumps cartoon and howled.  Special Snowflakes are all over.
http://www.twolumps.net/comics/20130830.jpg

I think I agree with Eben...
Oh, my, I think I'm in love.  My sides ache from laughing at these.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23234 on: August 31, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »
Do driving Special Snowflakes just leave their brains at home?  Yesterday there was almost a collision right in front of us, when a nitwit yacking on a hand-held cellphone, in the left-turn lane, decided to go straight ahead instead.  Straight ahead had a red light, because oncoming traffic was also turning left.  Nitwit darned near broadsided another car.  ('Darned' is not the word I'd like to use, but the filter won't let me use that other 'd' word.) He didn't even brake; the other car managed to scoot faster, and the one following him managed to brake in time.  SS just sailed on through without noticing, because his phone call was SOOOO important. ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~