A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Special Snowflake Stories

<< < (4656/6559) > >>

PeterM:

--- Quote from: Yarnspinner on September 05, 2013, 09:55:29 AM ---Years ago I used to subscribe to a blog written by a library student. (Once she got a job, she took it down.)  One of the sections allowed librarians to air grievances and one young whippersnapper let loose on "older" librarians, how selfish we were not to retire in our forties and let younger librarians move up the food chain and get promotions.

--- End quote ---

In partial defense of this sort of dingbattery, I'll note that "The current crop of librarians is about to retire and your future is assured!" has been heavily used as a recruiting tactic by some, possibly many, MLS programs for awhile now. It's certainly what they told me when I started working towards my MLS ten years ago, and I don't think it was new then. Anyone who wholeheartedly believes the assertions of any organization that is desperate for their money deserves what they get, but this attitude likely isn't something she came to completely on her own.

nutraxfornerves:

--- Quote ---I plan to take a less stressful job (and thus less pay), so a younger person can have my job to support a family.
--- End quote ---
That sounds familiar. Take the Wayback Machine to about 50 years ago.

I plan to A woman should take a less stressful job (and thus less pay), so a younger person man can have my her job to support a family.

Amara:
I know there are others here who do remember when all lesser paying jobs were designated for women because the job classifieds in the newspapers--which is where everything was in the pre-Internet age of the 1970s and earlier--were listed by Jobs for Men and Jobs for Women.

MindsEye:

--- Quote from: Amara on September 05, 2013, 01:44:33 PM ---I know there are others here who do remember when all lesser paying jobs were designated for women because the job classifieds in the newspapers--which is where everything was in the pre-Internet age of the 1970s and earlier--were listed by Jobs for Men and Jobs for Women.

--- End quote ---

And even today, jobs which have historically been held largely by women (think nurses, school teachers, childcare workers, librarians) are sometimes referred to as "pink-collar jobs".

Amara:
True, MindsEye. There's aren't official gender categories on any job sites, just silent ones in the workplace. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version