A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Special Snowflake Stories

<< < (4656/6004) > >>

pierrotlunaire0:
Not to mention that many older workers often know a lot more about the job, about the organization, about work in general.  Valuable knowledge that it takes the younger person years to learn.  There is an excellent chance that if someone older than the LW were to retire, would her employers even want her in that job?

And as Abby herself said, it would be interesting to see if this person actually cuts back or takes a lower position once they are older.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: TeamBhakta on September 04, 2013, 05:13:37 PM ---Snowflakes that only want wedding registry gifts will apparently write columns to get the word out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lori-fradkin/wedding-registry-apology_b_3824199.html?utm_hp_ref=weddings&ir=Weddings

Although the worst one I've seen was 10 years ago, where someone in a bridal magazine said "Oh, I thought I was being so clever and thoughtful when I was single and gifting my friends with a fun board game or a waffle iron + some breakfast related items. I didn't realize how inconsiderate and thoughtless I was, how much trouble the bride had gone through to pick out her list." ::)

--- End quote ---

I'm not as annoyed with this article as I usually am about registries. She does acknowlege that they aren't then definitive list and she does stand by her decision to buy off the registry at times.

I thought what she was primarily intending to say was "If I put the Wusthoff knife set on my registry, don't buy the J Henckel's because you think they are a better brand." or if I registered for the Kate Spade decanter, don't buy the Waterford because you like Waterford better."

2littlemonkeys:
So...when her kids are out of college and she presumably no longer has any expenses (?), she can take a lower paying job to let someone else have her job?

1.  Sure.  I'll totally believe that.   ::)

2. So by her logic, isn't she just going to 'swipe' a job from an entry level worker?

Carotte:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on September 05, 2013, 11:55:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: TeamBhakta on September 04, 2013, 05:13:37 PM ---Snowflakes that only want wedding registry gifts will apparently write columns to get the word out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lori-fradkin/wedding-registry-apology_b_3824199.html?utm_hp_ref=weddings&ir=Weddings

Although the worst one I've seen was 10 years ago, where someone in a bridal magazine said "Oh, I thought I was being so clever and thoughtful when I was single and gifting my friends with a fun board game or a waffle iron + some breakfast related items. I didn't realize how inconsiderate and thoughtless I was, how much trouble the bride had gone through to pick out her list." ::)

--- End quote ---

I'm not as annoyed with this article as I usually am about registries. She does acknowlege that they aren't then definitive list and she does stand by her decision to buy off the registry at times.

I thought what she was primarily intending to say was "If I put the Wusthoff knife set on my registry, don't buy the J Henckel's because you think they are a better brand." or if I registered for the Kate Spade decanter, don't buy the Waterford because you like Waterford better."

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking too. As I see it she is saying that when people go off registry to gift something they think the couple will like based on personal knowledge, it's fine and toughfull. But When people go off the registry to gift something similar to an item in the registry, they are putting their own taste above the couple, and that can be a bit preachy.

Sometimes the situation warrant it, like you know that couple put thingamabob from brand A on their registry, even if they would have liked brand B, but knew brand B to be so expensive they were just happy to have a thingamabob either way, and not burden a guest with the price of brand B.
Then yeah, get them brand B if you want.
But don't assume they'll be happy to have brand D when their entire collection of Stuff is from brand C, just because you like brand D best.

But like anything it gets complicated if you can only afford another brand but would really really like to get them a Whatsit, and never considered they would be bothered by a competitor's Whatsit. They did 'ask' for a Whatsit afterall.

You never win, do you?

PeterM:

--- Quote from: Yarnspinner on September 05, 2013, 10:55:29 AM ---Years ago I used to subscribe to a blog written by a library student. (Once she got a job, she took it down.)  One of the sections allowed librarians to air grievances and one young whippersnapper let loose on "older" librarians, how selfish we were not to retire in our forties and let younger librarians move up the food chain and get promotions.

--- End quote ---

In partial defense of this sort of dingbattery, I'll note that "The current crop of librarians is about to retire and your future is assured!" has been heavily used as a recruiting tactic by some, possibly many, MLS programs for awhile now. It's certainly what they told me when I started working towards my MLS ten years ago, and I don't think it was new then. Anyone who wholeheartedly believes the assertions of any organization that is desperate for their money deserves what they get, but this attitude likely isn't something she came to completely on her own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version