Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5296913 times)

*new*mommyagain36

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23385 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »
Why do so many of my contributions start with "I was at my local Sprawl Mart.."
Last friday I was cruising the parking lot looking for a spot when a man in a truck backed out in front of me.  He backed out at an angle, so the front of his truck was thisclose to the front of my car and then the back of the truck jutted towards the left.  Since he was thisclose, I guess he felt he couldn't back up anymore without clipping me.  I sighed and decided to try to back up but SS just drove to the right of my car and went merrily on his way.  There was no way he couldn't looked before starting to back out.   ::)
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Shalamar

« Reply #23386 on: September 09, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
I think we all have different ways of dealing with frustration, and I tend to, well, curse under my breath when I'm having a bad day.  If someone came up to me and said "Hey, your cursing is (a) annoying and (b) offensive, please stop", I'd definitely make an effort to do so.

(Why is it that so many people with annoying habits tend to deny that they have them or put all the blame on the complainer?  "If that bothers you, it's YOUR fault, not mine.")

Hey, SiameseCat, maybe we DO work for the same company!  Stand up and yell "TRY THE BEAN DIP!", and then I'll know for sure.   ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23387 on: September 09, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
I was walking from my car to the store front - a pickup (Ute to the Aussies - large vehicle) was coming down in front of the line of stores....and didn't slow down or brake at all until about a car length from me.....I got glared at even though I'd started walking toward the store while he was at the end of the strip mall...if he'd been going the speed limit for parking lots, we'd have been out of each other's way. 

But if you have to go the speed limit for a road instead of for a parking lot...you're going to be braking in a parking lot.

The older guy who was already on the sidewalk also looked after him & commented "what was he trying to do?" - so it wasn't just ME who was wondering what the idjit thought he was doing.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shalamar

« Reply #23388 on: September 09, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »
I was once crossing the street at a well-marked pedestrian crosswalk.   There was a car that was quite some distance away when I started crossing.  He sped up, almost hit me, and honked at me.   'Kay.   ???

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23389 on: September 09, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »

Several years back, I went to see Mary Poppins on Broadway with a friend.
While I get the story is geared more towards kids, that doesn’t mean that your toddler can babble, whine and carry on throughout the entire performance! We got great seats at TKTS; but the family behind us almost ruined it. If I recall, it was mom, dad, maybe a grandparent or two, and a couple/several kids.  The older one(s) were fine, but the youngest, who was maybe two, and at that stage where sitting still and being quiet for more than 30 seconds is tough. 

Before the show even started, the mom started in on dad for playing on his phone and not “helping” with the kids. Then once the show started, small child would not sit still, or be quiet. The parents kept trying to get her to stop, which created even more of a disturbance. All of us around them were NOT happy. Intermission comes, they all go out, and the rest of us are saying how rude they’ve been. FINALLY, in the second act, after a bit, when she continued, someone took the child out, and they stayed out so we could enjoy the rest of the show. I just don’t get how you can spend that much on tickets, for someone who clearly isn’t capable of sitting through the show.

My MIL is totally into Broadway Shows.  When Lion King came out, she took all the grandkids to see, except the two little ones, because her rule is that you have to be at least 5 to see a broadway show.  When the littlest ones were 5, she took them to see it too!

mmswm

« Reply #23390 on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »

As far as culture snobs: my music teacher is the worst. He teaches, actively , that fiddler players can never be as good as symphony players, even if they have a Master's in Music Performance "because if they were actually good, they would not be playing fiddle" - and that they "are always out of tune" and more.  I am telling you if there were another teacher willing to take on adults in my town, I would move, but there's only him in reasonable driving distance.

This person obviously has no clue.  Has he never heard of Mark O'Connor or Charlie Daniels?  Does he not hear the flawless doublestops in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia?"  Has he never heard the haunting and absolutely gut-wrenching violin lines in O'Connor's duet version of "Ashokan Farewell" with Zukerman?  The violin melody in that one is so...I don't know how to describe it...but you just want to fall down and weep uncontrollably for those Civil War widows because he plays the melody with such intense emotion that you feel like you are one of those widows.

This violin teacher is obviously not the musician he pretends to be.

(And now off my own "music snob" soap box.  Sorry, there's great music in pretty much every genre, and those who can't hear it are missing out on life.)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Coralreef

« Reply #23391 on: September 09, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »
(And now off my own "music snob" soap box.  Sorry, there's great music in pretty much every genre, and those who can't hear it are missing out on life.)

So true! 

[/right

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23392 on: September 09, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »

As far as culture snobs: my music teacher is the worst. He teaches, actively , that fiddler players can never be as good as symphony players, even if they have a Master's in Music Performance "because if they were actually good, they would not be playing fiddle" - and that they "are always out of tune" and more.  I am telling you if there were another teacher willing to take on adults in my town, I would move, but there's only him in reasonable driving distance.

This person obviously has no clue.  Has he never heard of Mark O'Connor or Charlie Daniels?  Does he not hear the flawless doublestops in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia?"  Has he never heard the haunting and absolutely gut-wrenching violin lines in O'Connor's duet version of "Ashokan Farewell" with Zukerman?  The violin melody in that one is so...I don't know how to describe it...but you just want to fall down and weep uncontrollably for those Civil War widows because he plays the melody with such intense emotion that you feel like you are one of those widows.

This violin teacher is obviously not the musician he pretends to be.

I love "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23393 on: September 09, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
A group of SS teenagers stepped into 4 lanes of busy oncoming traffic today and somehow managed to slowly walk to the median without getting killed. Then they tried to hop off the median into 3 full lanes of trafffic :o I thought we were all going to crash into each other from the sudden brake slamming they caused

Ida

• L' Esprit d' Escalier
« Reply #23394 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »

If we're linking appropriate cartoons, here's Owl Jolson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytR7-wT0Qqw
Where's my Barbie Action Figure??

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #23395 on: September 09, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »

If we're linking appropriate cartoons, here's Owl Jolson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytR7-wT0Qqw

I love to singa!  About the moona and the June-a and the springa!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #23396 on: September 09, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »

I love to singa!  About the moona and the June-a and the springa!

I love to singa~ About a sky of blue or tea for two~

(I have not seen that since I was very little. I think I'd almost convinced myself it didn't exist!)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23397 on: September 09, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
SS Coworker sighting.

We are on the phones but still in training. So we do have a lot of help. so a coworker is having trouble and instead of raising her hand or standing up like we were taught to do, she yells out "TRAINERNAME!!!!!" really really loud. There are people all around (all of them fellow students!) who are trying to take calls and listen through their headsets. Clueless? Maybe... but this is what tossed her into Special Snowflake range for me.

A coworker heard it and commented that it wasn't professional in a half joking voice.

"I know!" SS Coworker said.

Yeah... well if you know, then why did you do it? *twitches* I am sure I will have more for you during this week...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #23398 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »
I have an SS sitting close to me at work.  She has a very annoying habit of picking up her mouse and slamming it repeatedly on her desk when she's frustrated.  So, I'll be working away, then suddenly I'll hear *BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!*   (Her record, if you're curious, is 15 bangs in a row.)  Today I couldn't stand it anymore, and I said "Tanya ...!", whereupon my other co-worker said "Yeah, you're banging your mouse again, and it's bugging us."  Tanya's response?  "If you were going through what I'm going through right now, you wouldn't just be banging your mouse, you'd be throwing the entire computer out the window."

Right. Because none of us ever get frustrated or stressed at work.  >:(

I have one of those CWirkers as well.  She she directly next to me.  When she gets frustrated she bangs her mouse, slams her fists on the desk, and/or starts cursing.  It is ridiculous that anyone would act this way, let alone a grown woman.  Constantly startles me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #23399 on: September 09, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »
SS Coworker sighting.

We are on the phones but still in training. So we do have a lot of help. so a coworker is having trouble and instead of raising her hand or standing up like we were taught to do, she yells out "TRAINERNAME!!!!!" really really loud. There are people all around (all of them fellow students!) who are trying to take calls and listen through their headsets. Clueless? Maybe... but this is what tossed her into Special Snowflake range for me.

A coworker heard it and commented that it wasn't professional in a half joking voice.

"I know!" SS Coworker said.

Yeah... well if you know, then why did you do it? *twitches* I am sure I will have more for you during this week...

I think it depends on how she said "I know!".  I've said it out of embarrassment before, knowing full well I shouldn't have done something but having done it regardless purely accidentally and in the moment.  However, if she said it like she knew and just didn't care, definitely SS!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.