Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5516831 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23400 on: September 09, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
I have a new one today... I bring you SuperSS! .mil edition.

We are going on a Happy Fun Trip here eventually to a far away land. As we all live together on Happy Fun Trips, they have compiled a roommate list for both male and females. It is broken down by rank and gender.

E1-E6 males: 6-7 people in a room with bunks.

E-7s and above: 2 to a room, normal beds

Females: 2 to a room, normal beds

There aren't a lot of females where I work. I didn't get a choice of roommates, as there are only 2of us going. My SSS roommate got informed that there were roommates when she asked what the living situation was (she was at training the past few weeks). It went down something like this.

SSS:  So what is the living like?
AFB: 2 to a room.

SSS: Really? I have a roommate?
AFB: Yeah. Me.

SSS: (exasperated sigh) Ugh. I don't like people. Why do we have to have roommates?
AFB:  ....... (I was silent, because not nice things were running through my head, and all our supervision was nearby  >:D )

Awesome Flight Chief stepped in at this point.

AFC: Well SSS, I can always put you with (male name here) or (male name here). Would 5 other roommates be better? Or maybe MY roommate would be willing to swap.

SSS: (pouts)

AFB: laughs like a loon ;D ;D ;D

In what universe does a new E-5 (new noncommisioned officer) think that they deserve preference over E-8/E-9s and officers? That's the civilian equivalent of an Assistant Manager getting whiny that they don't have the same office as the CEO!  She is going to be highly displeased when I pull rank and take the good half of the room >:D  Don't worry, if things get too annoying, I'll just move into a bunker and install some shag carpeting and a disco ball. Club AFB!

My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

kansha

« Reply #23401 on: September 09, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »

As far as culture snobs: my music teacher is the worst. He teaches, actively , that fiddler players can never be as good as symphony players, even if they have a Master's in Music Performance "because if they were actually good, they would not be playing fiddle" - and that they "are always out of tune" and more.  I am telling you if there were another teacher willing to take on adults in my town, I would move, but there's only him in reasonable driving distance.

This person obviously has no clue.  Has he never heard of Mark O'Connor or Charlie Daniels?  Does he not hear the flawless doublestops in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia?"  Has he never heard the haunting and absolutely gut-wrenching violin lines in O'Connor's duet version of "Ashokan Farewell" with Zukerman?  The violin melody in that one is so...I don't know how to describe it...but you just want to fall down and weep uncontrollably for those Civil War widows because he plays the melody with such intense emotion that you feel like you are one of those widows.

This violin teacher is obviously not the musician he pretends to be.

(And now off my own "music snob" soap box.  Sorry, there's great music in pretty much every genre, and those who can't hear it are missing out on life.)

And there is Alfie Boe's opinion - there are only two kinds of music - good music and bad music.

I <3 Alfie!!!
yay, another alfie fan!  i get to see him again in february in anaheim <3

snowdragon

« Reply #23402 on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »

As far as culture snobs: my music teacher is the worst. He teaches, actively , that fiddler players can never be as good as symphony players, even if they have a Master's in Music Performance "because if they were actually good, they would not be playing fiddle" - and that they "are always out of tune" and more.  I am telling you if there were another teacher willing to take on adults in my town, I would move, but there's only him in reasonable driving distance.

This person obviously has no clue.  Has he never heard of Mark O'Connor or Charlie Daniels?  Does he not hear the flawless doublestops in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia?"  Has he never heard the haunting and absolutely gut-wrenching violin lines in O'Connor's duet version of "Ashokan Farewell" with Zukerman?  The violin melody in that one is so...I don't know how to describe it...but you just want to fall down and weep uncontrollably for those Civil War widows because he plays the melody with such intense emotion that you feel like you are one of those widows.

(And now off my own "music snob" soap box.  Sorry, there's great music in pretty much every genre, and those who can't hear it are missing out on life.)

Yes, he's familiar with them, along with Natalie MacMaster, the Leahy's and the Barra MacNeils. They are still not as good as Symphony/Orchestra members. He has openly said that the man who inspired me to learn to play is "not a good player and out of tune." The man is the one I spoke of above with a Master's degree in violin performance, he just prefers to make a living playing fiddle.  It got so bad that I have shared the recordings of my lessons and his comments with a friend who teaches at Crane Music School, just in case I was misinterpreting. I'm not the guy is just a snob.  But he is a fantastic musician when it comes to the Genre he prefers, that I do have to give him.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23403 on: September 10, 2013, 12:13:21 AM »
WARNING: Family funeral mentioned....

BG: Today was my FIL's funeral. The viewing was in NJ and the burial in Queens, NYC.
BIL is a high level realtor. /BG

The SS, new, low level interviewer for a national sports channel who is BIL's client.  She called today and he explained he was on the way to the cemetery and why.  She calls back multiple times.

1. SS wants him to arrange for a BMW or Mercedes dealer to giver a free car.  She will do one weekend appearance.  BIL says sorry, not his area.
2. SS calls again and he explains that she will have to talk to his assistant.
3. SS calls his HQ and tries to lodge a complaint against BIL because the apartment she wanted to rent the owner wouldn't agree to renting for $700 below the rental price.  Also, BIL isn't returning het calls.
4. We get to the cemetery and BIL's assistant is there to pay his respects.  He also shares that SS has called 15 times to complain that BIL won't take her calls.

I won't feel any sympathy if, oh let's say, an errant football sails in the direction of SS and dings her Marcia Brady style

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23404 on: September 10, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
Club AFBB sounds like it will be the place to be.  Good luck with that :)

Cherry91

« Reply #23405 on: September 10, 2013, 04:37:22 AM »

And there is Alfie Boe's opinion - there are only two kinds of music - good music and bad music.

I <3 Alfie!!!

I'm a massive fan of a contemporary violinist called Lindsey Stirling. She has a Youtube channel and does both covers of songs (from showtunes to video game theme tunes) and her own original songs. Sometimes I almost get dizzy listening to her because I'm amazed at how fast she can play. I'd like to see the music snob teacher tell her she's not a good musician.

Carotte

« Reply #23406 on: September 10, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
WARNING: Family funeral mentioned....

BG: Today was my FIL's funeral. The viewing was in NJ and the burial in Queens, NYC.
BIL is a high level realtor. /BG

The SS, new, low level interviewer for a national sports channel who is BIL's client.  She called today and he explained he was on the way to the cemetery and why.  She calls back multiple times.

1. SS wants him to arrange for a BMW or Mercedes dealer to giver a free car.  She will do one weekend appearance.  BIL says sorry, not his area.

So wait, your BIL job is to sell houses right? maybe for VIP or out of state clients arrange transportation from say the airport to the houses. Where in ehell did she thought he was the one to arrange a contract with BMW?  :o

When you're delusional everyone is your agent maybe? She doesn't have one and your BIL is the closest person to that description?
SS will always baffle me.

BB-VA

« Reply #23407 on: September 10, 2013, 06:38:45 AM »

I <3 Alfie!!!

I'm a massive fan of a contemporary violinist called Lindsey Stirling. She has a Youtube channel and does both covers of songs (from showtunes to video game theme tunes) and her own original songs. Sometimes I almost get dizzy listening to her because I'm amazed at how fast she can play. I'd like to see the music snob teacher tell her she's not a good musician.

My ultimate dream YouTube video would be Alfie Boe + The Piano Guys.

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #23408 on: September 10, 2013, 08:00:33 AM »

If we're linking appropriate cartoons, here's Owl Jolson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytR7-wT0Qqw

I love to singa!  About the moona and the June-a and the springa!

I love to singa~ About a sky of blue or tea for two~

(I have not seen that since I was very little. I think I'd almost convinced myself it didn't exist!)
I'm always tempted to start singing that one when I'm standing in long lines for so,e reason.

As for the fiddle snob, he oughtta watch a documentary called "Music from the Inside Out."  IIRC, two of the violinists in the orchestra that they follow like to go out toe Bluegrass jam nights at a local bar because it challenges their skills in a different way than the stuff they play all day.

Shea

« Reply #23409 on: September 10, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »

I see you've met my SIL, We went to the ballet and she allowed her then 4 year old to talk though out entire performance of Nutcracker. THE.ENTIRE.PER.FOR.MANCE. I told her repeatedly to quiet the kid, the ushers asked her to leave, the people around her finally told her to "shut up" and her response "she's asking about the play, she can talk." and made no effort to quiet her.. it ended up with two rows around her standing in back so we could listen to the music rather than the kid.   
  I still refuse to go to movies, symphonies and plays with them, and they can't afford to go it I don't pay - so they don't go and I get told that I am 'denying the kids culture in their lives because I am too selfish' for refusing to inflict the kids ( who have still not been taught to shut up during a performance at 8, 11 and 18) on other folks.   

I went to an Orthodox Jewish wedding recently, and there was a mother and grandmother in front of me with a little girl, maybe 4, who talked VERY LOUDLY throughout the first 5 or so minutes of the ceremony. The kid very nearly drowned out the cantor, which was no mean feat given that the man had lungs like an opera singer. After the mom/grandma finally noticed that the entire women's section and the nearest portion of the men's were looking over, the mom took her out. I mean really, it was a WEDDING, and the kid would. not. zip it. Obnoxious.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

MindsEye

« Reply #23410 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:17 AM »
I nominate the SS driver in my area who made a minor fender-bender much worse.

(I did not witness this one, but just heard about it on the news)

Morning rush hour traffic on the freeway that goes through my city, so the traffic is already slow.  A couple of cars get into a bit of a fender-bender, and appropriately pull over onto the paved shoulder/breakdown lane.  (It is worth noting that there are frequent signs telling people to not drive on the shoulder/breakdown lane.)  This of course slows down traffic even further.  So some impatient SS decides that the thing to do is to pull onto the shoulder/breakdown land and zip past everyone.

He rear ended the two pulled over vehicles at (apparently) high speed.

Fortunately the two other drivers were standing off on the grassy verge when this happened, so the only one injured was the SS driver. 

Xandraea

« Reply #23411 on: September 10, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
I love love love The Piano Guys, and Lindsay Stirling too!

Mission Impossible Theme   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p0BqUcQ7i0
The Cello Wars   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o
Rockelbell's Canon (Pachelbell's Canon In D) on 4 cellos    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5_xj_yuhs
The Cello Song   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry4BzonlVlw
Piano Guys (5 guys, one piano) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqTwnAuHws

Can you imagine how limited music would be if people only played instruments how they were "supposed" to be played??

Oh, and a special snowflake: The woman in the Chevy Tahoe who pulled into the parking space beside my car, somehow bashed the rear driver's side door of my car with hers (I'd guess a door opening too far? Maybe a child?), then rather than own up to it, quickly changed to a different parking spot a few rows away.  She was gone when I returned to my car.  I got a note from a witness under my wiper and called the police to report it.  One officer examined my car and took the note, while her partner talked with the woman who owned the Tahoe at her residence.  Story is she was crying hysterically, but wouldn't own up to it, so there was nothing that could be done.  (Why the bawling if you weren't involved? I think that just proved her guilt.)  When you damage others' property, the proper thing to do is admit it and do what you can to make amends.  It wasn't even major damage, but the one who did the damage should have been the one to pay for repair.  Now every time I see a Chevy Tahoe I check the plate and growl a little to myself.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #23412 on: September 10, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »
It's nice to see Jon Schmidt finally making a little money.  He's a really nice guy.

Shalamar

« Reply #23414 on: September 10, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »
When she gets frustrated she bangs her mouse, slams her fists on the desk, and/or starts cursing.

You have one of those too, Dazi?  Sheesh, it's an epidemic!

When did it become acceptable for professional adults to act like kids having tantrums when their workday is going badly?