Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5379670 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23415 on: September 10, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »
When she gets frustrated she bangs her mouse, slams her fists on the desk, and/or starts cursing.

You have one of those too, Dazi?  Sheesh, it's an epidemic!

When did it become acceptable for professional adults to act like kids having tantrums when their workday is going badly? 

Otterpop

« Reply #23416 on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »

I see you've met my SIL, We went to the ballet and she allowed her then 4 year old to talk though out entire performance of Nutcracker. THE.ENTIRE.PER.FOR.MANCE. I told her repeatedly to quiet the kid, the ushers asked her to leave, the people around her finally told her to "shut up" and her response "she's asking about the play, she can talk." and made no effort to quiet her.. it ended up with two rows around her standing in back so we could listen to the music rather than the kid.   
  I still refuse to go to movies, symphonies and plays with them, and they can't afford to go it I don't pay - so they don't go and I get told that I am 'denying the kids culture in their lives because I am too selfish' for refusing to inflict the kids ( who have still not been taught to shut up during a performance at 8, 11 and 18) on other folks.   

As far as culture snobs: my music teacher is the worst. He teaches, actively , that fiddler players can never be as good as symphony players, even if they have a Master's in Music Performance "because if they were actually good, they would not be playing fiddle" - and that they "are always out of tune" and more.  I am telling you if there were another teacher willing to take on adults in my town, I would move, but there's only him in reasonable driving distance.

I went to an Orthodox Jewish wedding recently, and there was a mother and grandmother in front of me with a little girl, maybe 4, who talked VERY LOUDLY throughout the first 5 or so minutes of the ceremony. The kid very nearly drowned out the cantor, which was no mean feat given that the man had lungs like an opera singer. After the mom/grandma finally noticed that the entire women's section and the nearest portion of the men's were looking over, the mom took her out. I mean really, it was a WEDDING, and the kid would. not. zip it. Obnoxious.

We had our annual school district meeting a few weeks ago to which a woman brought her toddler.  The meeting is for 7 local high schools, about 150+ attend and sit for 2 1/2 hours listening to budgetary, safety, staff concerns.  The toddler proceeded to laugh, scream, bang, run, grab things off the table and generally make the meeting hell.  I sat, unfortunately right behind her as I had chosen my seat before she came in.  My teeth were on edge the whole time and I had to keep hiding my purse, keys and water bottle.

At one point the District Supervisor, head of the entire meeting, offered to take the toddler for a walk around the grounds after his discussion.  The mother, rather than be ashamed, took him up on his offer.  He came back after 15 minutes (he had to chair the meeting after all!) and the fun ensued again.

Finally, after 2 hours, District Supervisor pushed the child's stroller towards the mother and asked that SHE take him for a walk.  Cue the toddler running in and out of the open door at the FRONT of the room, screaming as mother tried to restrain him from coming in.  Rather than leave, she chased him in and out, smiled exasperatedly and appeared to think the whole thing "cute."  It was unbelievable.  Worst meeting EVER.

I think I'm writing a discreet e-mail to the DS and ask that children be banned (and I've raised two myself!).  BTW this was an older mother, not a youngster with no clue.  No excuses.

lilfox

« Reply #23417 on: September 10, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
SS at work:

When I came into the building's cafeteria, there was a woman who had just called our customer support to talk to someone about telecommuting issues.  About 5 minutes into her call when she's actively working with an agent, her personal cell phone rings.  She says to the CS rep, "Can you give me a second?" puts them on hold, and takes the personal call.  Worse, she decides she needs privacy (it's just her and me in the cafeteria this whole time) so she abandons her work cell, work computer, and other personal gear and leaves the cafeteria altogether.  TEN minutes later, she comes back and appears surprised that the CS rep has disconnected.

To be fair, she didn't make any comments about it, just called back and went through the (extensive) automated menu to start over, but really?  I don't know how long the CS rep waited before disconnecting but I hope it was only a minute or two - there is always a queue of people holding for help.

If this had been in a public area, abandoning her stuff could have led to Professional Darwinism (people get in serious trouble if their company laptop is stolen even when it's in a locked car, I'm sure it's much worse when you just leave stuff lying around!).

mmswm

« Reply #23418 on: September 10, 2013, 02:03:56 PM »
Okay, I stink at multi-quoting...

On the subject of fiddle players:  I pulled two of my favorite fiddle players when I wrote what I wrote.  They're two very different players, and my object was to highlight the technical mastery of Charlie Daniels and the lyrical/emotional mastery of Mark O'Connor.  Of course both players are great with both, but one excels at one and the other at the other. :) 

I also love Alfie Boe and The Piano Guys.  I just love music in all forms.  Even Hip Hop/Rap and Heavy Metal have their contingent of true masters.  With that, I think maybe we're getting sidetracked and, if anybody's interested, I can start a "Music We Love" thread. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

darling

« Reply #23419 on: September 10, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
SS Drivers:

In the past few days I have been subjected to numerous people ignoring the right-turn-only lanes in town. The first happened on the way into work, when I needed to make a right turn on red, only to be stuck behind someone who intended to go straight from the right-turn-only lane. Cars were backed up 10-deep because of this one person. But, I guess their desire to be at the head of the line trumped our desire to keep traffic moving through an already congested area. I was already annoyed because I had to try to make a left turn onto that road, since the road I normally take is closed, so having traffic grind to a halt unnecessarily half a block later was sort of annoying.

Then last night, on the way to pick up my son, I witnessed;

1. People completely ignoring the right turn lane, and turning right from the straight-only lane, cutting across the right-turn lane! I even double-checked when I got up to the light to see if they had removed that lane, but it was still clearly marked as a right-turn lane.
2. While proceeding through an intersection with a right-turn-only lane, the person in the right-turn-only lane sped up around me and continued straight through, cutting me off!

I'm not even going to get started on the number of people I have seen lately riding bikes or walking through road construction areas... Or the bus stop that has remained open while the road in that area is down to one lane (causing a magnificent traffic backup during rush hour). It's just been an interesting summer...

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23420 on: September 10, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »
WARNING: Family funeral mentioned....

BG: Today was my FIL's funeral. The viewing was in NJ and the burial in Queens, NYC.
BIL is a high level realtor. /BG

The SS, new, low level interviewer for a national sports channel who is BIL's client.  She called today and he explained he was on the way to the cemetery and why.  She calls back multiple times.

1. SS wants him to arrange for a BMW or Mercedes dealer to giver a free car.  She will do one weekend appearance.  BIL says sorry, not his area.
2. SS calls again and he explains that she will have to talk to his assistant.
3. SS calls his HQ and tries to lodge a complaint against BIL because the apartment she wanted to rent the owner wouldn't agree to renting for $700 below the rental price.  Also, BIL isn't returning het calls.
4. We get to the cemetery and BIL's assistant is there to pay his respects.  He also shares that SS has called 15 times to complain that BIL won't take her calls.

I won't feel any sympathy if, oh let's say, an errant football sails in the direction of SS and dings her Marcia Brady style
Love that image.

I think I would have after the second call ask "I'm sorry was it the word "on" , "way" , "to" or "funeral"  that you didn't understand? Since you interview for a living, I must assume you can reasonably listen well so it must be a language barrier we are experiencing."

Zizi-K

« Reply #23421 on: September 10, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
SS Drivers:

In the past few days I have been subjected to numerous people ignoring the right-turn-only lanes in town. The first happened on the way into work, when I needed to make a right turn on red, only to be stuck behind someone who intended to go straight from the right-turn-only lane. Cars were backed up 10-deep because of this one person. But, I guess their desire to be at the head of the line trumped our desire to keep traffic moving through an already congested area. I was already annoyed because I had to try to make a left turn onto that road, since the road I normally take is closed, so having traffic grind to a halt unnecessarily half a block later was sort of annoying.

1. People completely ignoring the right turn lane, and turning right from the straight-only lane, cutting across the right-turn lane! I even double-checked when I got up to the light to see if they had removed that lane, but it was still clearly marked as a right-turn lane.
2. While proceeding through an intersection with a right-turn-only lane, the person in the right-turn-only lane sped up around me and continued straight through, cutting me off!

I'm not even going to get started on the number of people I have seen lately riding bikes or walking through road construction areas... Or the bus stop that has remained open while the road in that area is down to one lane (causing a magnificent traffic backup during rush hour). It's just been an interesting summer...

If this happens regularly at a particular intersection, you can call your local police and ask that they can have a car stationed near there to ticket some of the offenders. That's really dangerous!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23422 on: September 10, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
SS Drivers:

I've found leaning on the horn works.  Eventually they get so tired of hearing the horn, they make the turn and then find a way to get back to the direction they were going.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #23423 on: September 10, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
I used to volunteer as an usher at a performing arts center.  Bob Saget, who was starring in a family friendly sit-com, came to do his stand-up act.  The show was advertised as adults only, all of the advertising had a banner across it that said "adult content, not appropriate for children".  When people ordered their tickets, the CS reps were instructed to tell them that the material was not appropriate for children.  The day of the show comes, and there are at least a hundred young kids in the audience, probably a lot more.  The show started and parents were outraged.  They were calling over ushers and wanted the theater manager to force the comedian to tone down his act.  When they were informed that that was never going to happen, they wanted refunds.  They were informed that there are no refunds once the show starts, a fact that was printed on the tickets, just below "Not Suitable for Children".  I couldn't believe the number of enraged parents who thought that just because their little darling wanted to see Michelle's daddy from TV that taking them to a stand-up performace was a good idea.

Hillia

« Reply #23424 on: September 10, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
I used to volunteer as an usher at a performing arts center.  Bob Saget, who was starring in a family friendly sit-com, came to do his stand-up act.  The show was advertised as adults only, all of the advertising had a banner across it that said "adult content, not appropriate for children".  When people ordered their tickets, the CS reps were instructed to tell them that the material was not appropriate for children.  The day of the show comes, and there are at least a hundred young kids in the audience, probably a lot more.  The show started and parents were outraged.  They were calling over ushers and wanted the theater manager to force the comedian to tone down his act.  When they were informed that that was never going to happen, they wanted refunds.  They were informed that there are no refunds once the show starts, a fact that was printed on the tickets, just below "Not Suitable for Children".  I couldn't believe the number of enraged parents who thought that just because their little darling wanted to see Michelle's daddy from TV that taking them to a stand-up performace was a good idea.

Wow...'not suitable for children' is about the mildest thing you can say about Bob Saget standup.  He is really, really, filthy when he sets out to be.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

alkira6

« Reply #23425 on: September 10, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »

Wow...'not suitable for children' is about the mildest thing you can say about Bob Saget standup.  He is really, really, filthy when he sets out to be.

Ooooohhhh...Bob Saget makes me blush and I can be truly filthy myself.  No way would I want anyone under the age of, oh, 30, in the audience.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23426 on: September 10, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »
Thirty-five - my oldest is still too young for that.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23427 on: September 10, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

My friends and I went to see the Gremlins. We were high school kids and aware that TPTB were talking about a new rating level because this wasn't an R movie but wasn't for small kids. I told them how my aunt in Canada was outraged that I suggested taking her youngest at the time to ET - because it had an age restricted rating on PEI (I want to say either 11 or 12.) and Kate was 9.

When the Gremlins get going - this woman behind us starts demanding a manager and covering her kid's eyes and he his screaming in fear. Manager comes in and she pitches a fit because this is a kids movie. My Friend had enough and told her something like - "Lady this movie has been all over the news. They might even have a new rating because of it." She stormed out

The manager came in at the end of the movie - gave everyone free passes because of the disruption. Gave everyone in our group 2 because friend speaking up.

I will sometimes give subtle spoilers if someone mentions planning on taking their kid to a movie that knowing the kid might be inappropriate. Example One of Sis's inlaws mentioned taking her son to Bridge of Terabethia (SP). The boy has issues with deaths (They are from New Orleans they evacuated early but knew people that perished.)

From what I over heard the mom saying she thought it was all light and fairies. I said something like I guess you never read the book. Mom said no is there something I should know. I gave her the highlights - they went and saw something else. That one I blame the advertisers though.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #23428 on: September 10, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
SS Drivers:

I've found leaning on the horn works.  Eventually they get so tired of hearing the horn, they make the turn and then find a way to get back to the direction they were going.

I know somebody who thinks the same way.  The trouble with him is that he's a truck driver, and the air horn on his truck is one of the louder ones I've ever heard. City horn?  No way!  Need the air horn for those people.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23429 on: September 10, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would