Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5639269 times)

daisy1679

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23430 on: September 10, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
I used to volunteer as an usher at a performing arts center.  Bob Saget, who was starring in a family friendly sit-com, came to do his stand-up act.  The show was advertised as adults only, all of the advertising had a banner across it that said "adult content, not appropriate for children".  When people ordered their tickets, the CS reps were instructed to tell them that the material was not appropriate for children.  The day of the show comes, and there are at least a hundred young kids in the audience, probably a lot more.  The show started and parents were outraged.  They were calling over ushers and wanted the theater manager to force the comedian to tone down his act.  When they were informed that that was never going to happen, they wanted refunds.  They were informed that there are no refunds once the show starts, a fact that was printed on the tickets, just below "Not Suitable for Children".  I couldn't believe the number of enraged parents who thought that just because their little darling wanted to see Michelle's daddy from TV that taking them to a stand-up performace was a good idea.

This sadly doesn't surprise me. I used to work for the classified department of a local paper, and the number of phone calls and letters (which were printed in the to the editor section) we got regarding the new Christmas movie that had just been released from appalled parents who were "just horrified" at what their precious little kindergartners were exposed to (a 5-year-old was mentioned in one letter), and they couldn't believe that anyone would consider this movie appropriate for young children. I kept yelling at the paper "Hey idiot, just because the word Santa is in the title doesn't mean it's a kids movie!". Seriously, it was rated R for crying out loud, and it earned every bit of that rating. Sorry, I'm not feeling any sympathy for someone who took their kids to see Bad Santa (yeah, you read that right) thinking it was a kids movie  >:D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23431 on: September 10, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
Good gawd, I couldn't even sit through more than half an hour of that movie!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23432 on: September 10, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »
I used to volunteer as an usher at a performing arts center.  Bob Saget, who was starring in a family friendly sit-com, came to do his stand-up act.  The show was advertised as adults only, all of the advertising had a banner across it that said "adult content, not appropriate for children".  When people ordered their tickets, the CS reps were instructed to tell them that the material was not appropriate for children.  The day of the show comes, and there are at least a hundred young kids in the audience, probably a lot more.  The show started and parents were outraged.  They were calling over ushers and wanted the theater manager to force the comedian to tone down his act.  When they were informed that that was never going to happen, they wanted refunds.  They were informed that there are no refunds once the show starts, a fact that was printed on the tickets, just below "Not Suitable for Children".  I couldn't believe the number of enraged parents who thought that just because their little darling wanted to see Michelle's daddy from TV that taking them to a stand-up performace was a good idea.

My friends and I went to see the Gremlins. We were high school kids and aware that TPTB were talking about a new rating level because this wasn't an R movie but wasn't for small kids. I told them how my aunt in Canada was outraged that I suggested taking her youngest at the time to ET - because it had an age restricted rating on PEI (I want to say either 11 or 12.) and Kate was 9.

When the Gremlins get going - this woman behind us starts demanding a manager and covering her kid's eyes and he his screaming in fear. Manager comes in and she pitches a fit because this is a kids movie. My Friend had enough and told her something like - "Lady this movie has been all over the news. They might even have a new rating because of it." She stormed out

The manager came in at the end of the movie - gave everyone free passes because of the disruption. Gave everyone in our group 2 because friend speaking up.

I will sometimes give subtle spoilers if someone mentions planning on taking their kid to a movie that knowing the kid might be inappropriate. Example One of Sis's inlaws mentioned taking her son to Bridge of Terabethia (SP). The boy has issues with deaths (They are from New Orleans they evacuated early but knew people that perished.)

From what I over heard the mom saying she thought it was all light and fairies. I said something like I guess you never read the book. Mom said no is there something I should know. I gave her the highlights - they went and saw something else. That one I blame the advertisers though.

Lil Sis was going through a rough patch - friends wanted to take her out to something "light" and picked the same movie - I mentioned that if she didn't want to see something like "My Girl" - then she didn't want to see BTT, because according to the interview with the author's son in that morning's paper...it was not a "light, happy fantasy" - which was what the advertising sure made it look like.

It was a "coming of age" for the young boy who grew up to become the young man in the interview - and it mentioned that he still missed his friend...which didn't sound too light & happy to me...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sebastienne

« Reply #23433 on: September 10, 2013, 08:13:33 PM »
We were on a plane stuck on the tarmac for hours, and they decied to ease our boredom by showing Bridge to Terebithia. There was a moment when I looked around, and literally 90% of the passengers were in tears. I'd opted out because I'd read the book when I was a kid, and I hate crying in public.

Despite what the trailers told you, it's not Narnia 2!

mmswm

« Reply #23434 on: September 10, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would

Until recently, I was unaware that semis had both air horns and "city" horns.  The city horns are just like what 4 wheelers have and then, of course they have the air horns that most people associate with 18 wheelers. If they can have both, I see no reason why you can't either. Though maybe it would be a bit evil.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

andi

« Reply #23435 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »

I will sometimes give subtle spoilers if someone mentions planning on taking their kid to a movie that knowing the kid might be inappropriate. Example One of Sis's inlaws mentioned taking her son to Bridge of Terabethia (SP). The boy has issues with deaths (They are from New Orleans they evacuated early but knew people that perished.)

From what I over heard the mom saying she thought it was all light and fairies. I said something like I guess you never read the book. Mom said no is there something I should know. I gave her the highlights - they went and saw something else. That one I blame the advertisers though.

I wish someone had warned ME about Bridge to Tarabithia- I rented it on the premis that is was "just like  "Never Ending Story".  Not quite

Jocelyn

« Reply #23436 on: September 10, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Many years ago, I was involved in a Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization, and had a little sis who wanted to go to the movies all the time. One week, there was nothing new that was suitable for children. Her mother told me to take her to 'JFK' (the Oliver Stone film) because 'it's all about history'.
As if everything in history is suitable for children.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23437 on: September 10, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
Don't need louder horn.  Need photon torpedoes.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23438 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
*snerk*

BB-VA

« Reply #23439 on: September 10, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »

I miss the AAOOHGAH horn I had on my old car.  I still had the stock horn for regular offenses, but the second one was psychological warfare.  >:D   It did get attention!!!
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

raininshadows

« Reply #23440 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
I have the story of a Library Handicapped/Fire Lane Parking Special Snowflake who got caught in the act.

At this library, the fire lane runs directly into the handicapped parking. In fact, it overlaps with one of the walkways (I don't know the correct term for them) next to the handicap spaces. Someone decided to pull into this space (it's the closest to the library in the entire parking lot), despite their lack of any apparent handicap parking permit, the fact that it wasn't even a parking space, and the fact that it was in the fire lane.

The local police checks through that area fairly often. A squad car was sitting right behind this car, and the officer within was writing something down. They're generally pretty good about enforcing handicap parking, I've noticed - not that this stops the snowflakes, but I don't notice many repeat offenders.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #23441 on: September 10, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
In fact, it overlaps with one of the walkways (I don't know the correct term for them) next to the handicap spaces.

The spaces with the yellow or white hash marks? They're van loading spaces, so people who use a ramp or whatnot have room to load their wheelchair.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

PeterM

« Reply #23442 on: September 10, 2013, 11:06:47 PM »
When the Gremlins get going - this woman behind us starts demanding a manager and covering her kid's eyes and he his screaming in fear. Manager comes in and she pitches a fit because this is a kids movie.

You gotta wonder why in the wide, wide world of sports this nimrod thought remaining in the clearly inappropriate movie with her screaming kid was a good idea. Did she think the manager was going to slap his head and start up the kid-friendly version of the movie?

mmswm

« Reply #23443 on: September 10, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
In fact, it overlaps with one of the walkways (I don't know the correct term for them) next to the handicap spaces.

The spaces with the yellow or white hash marks? They're van loading spaces, so people who use a ramp or whatnot have room to load their wheelchair.

Access Aisles.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23444 on: September 10, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
I remember people complaining about Watchmen when they took their kids to see it just because its a comic book movie. Um...most people who read comics now are in their 30s.