News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 28, 2015, 02:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6727044 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23430 on: September 10, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would

Until recently, I was unaware that semis had both air horns and "city" horns.  The city horns are just like what 4 wheelers have and then, of course they have the air horns that most people associate with 18 wheelers. If they can have both, I see no reason why you can't either. Though maybe it would be a bit evil.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

andi

« Reply #23431 on: September 10, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

I will sometimes give subtle spoilers if someone mentions planning on taking their kid to a movie that knowing the kid might be inappropriate. Example One of Sis's inlaws mentioned taking her son to Bridge of Terabethia (SP). The boy has issues with deaths (They are from New Orleans they evacuated early but knew people that perished.)

From what I over heard the mom saying she thought it was all light and fairies. I said something like I guess you never read the book. Mom said no is there something I should know. I gave her the highlights - they went and saw something else. That one I blame the advertisers though.

I wish someone had warned ME about Bridge to Tarabithia- I rented it on the premis that is was "just like  "Never Ending Story".  Not quite

Jocelyn

« Reply #23432 on: September 10, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »
Many years ago, I was involved in a Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization, and had a little sis who wanted to go to the movies all the time. One week, there was nothing new that was suitable for children. Her mother told me to take her to 'JFK' (the Oliver Stone film) because 'it's all about history'.
As if everything in history is suitable for children.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23433 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
Don't need louder horn.  Need photon torpedoes.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23434 on: September 10, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
*snerk*
Maryland

BB-VA

« Reply #23435 on: September 10, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »

I miss the AAOOHGAH horn I had on my old car.  I still had the stock horn for regular offenses, but the second one was psychological warfare.  >:D   It did get attention!!!
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

raininshadows

« Reply #23436 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:26 PM »
I have the story of a Library Handicapped/Fire Lane Parking Special Snowflake who got caught in the act.

At this library, the fire lane runs directly into the handicapped parking. In fact, it overlaps with one of the walkways (I don't know the correct term for them) next to the handicap spaces. Someone decided to pull into this space (it's the closest to the library in the entire parking lot), despite their lack of any apparent handicap parking permit, the fact that it wasn't even a parking space, and the fact that it was in the fire lane.

The local police checks through that area fairly often. A squad car was sitting right behind this car, and the officer within was writing something down. They're generally pretty good about enforcing handicap parking, I've noticed - not that this stops the snowflakes, but I don't notice many repeat offenders.

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #23437 on: September 10, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
In fact, it overlaps with one of the walkways (I don't know the correct term for them) next to the handicap spaces.

The spaces with the yellow or white hash marks? They're van loading spaces, so people who use a ramp or whatnot have room to load their wheelchair.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

PeterM

« Reply #23438 on: September 10, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
When the Gremlins get going - this woman behind us starts demanding a manager and covering her kid's eyes and he his screaming in fear. Manager comes in and she pitches a fit because this is a kids movie.

You gotta wonder why in the wide, wide world of sports this nimrod thought remaining in the clearly inappropriate movie with her screaming kid was a good idea. Did she think the manager was going to slap his head and start up the kid-friendly version of the movie?

mmswm

« Reply #23439 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:07 PM »
In fact, it overlaps with one of the walkways (I don't know the correct term for them) next to the handicap spaces.

The spaces with the yellow or white hash marks? They're van loading spaces, so people who use a ramp or whatnot have room to load their wheelchair.

Access Aisles.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23440 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
I remember people complaining about Watchmen when they took their kids to see it just because its a comic book movie. Um...most people who read comics now are in their 30s.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #23441 on: September 10, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
I remember people complaining about Watchmen when they took their kids to see it just because its a comic book movie. Um...most people who read comics now are in their 30s.

Plus the fact that it was rated R should've taught them something. Then again, there was a guy who brought his preschoolers to see Jobs at the cinema I work at and was perplexed that they weren't watching with rapt attention, and I quote: "Because everyone in my family has iPods, iPads, and Macs!". Dude, little kids don't care whose brain created those devices and Ashton Kutcher screaming at people and trying to find himself is not a movie they care about or want to see. Take them to Planes or Despicable Me 2 if you want them to be entertained.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #23442 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »

I remember when that movie came out- I was at home working on a sewing project while watching the news- they came right out and said "Parents, this isn't your typical superhero movie, don't take your kids to this. It's R rated for a reason."

I went to see it with a friend a little while later, and it earned every bit of its R rating. Let's see- buckets of blood, nudity, Dr Manhattan waving his Lower Manhattan all over the place, mass death and destruction..yeah, that's real family fare. NOT.

Iris

« Reply #23443 on: September 11, 2013, 01:32:51 AM »
There was a big kerfuffle here when Lady Gaga toured. People took their 7 year olds to see her and were shocked - shocked! - that it wasn't a child friendly concert.

Some people really don't see that something my child likes =/= child friendly.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23444 on: September 11, 2013, 01:36:22 AM »

I remember when that movie came out- I was at home working on a sewing project while watching the news- they came right out and said "Parents, this isn't your typical superhero movie, don't take your kids to this. It's R rated for a reason."

I went to see it with a friend a little while later, and it earned every bit of its R rating. Let's see- buckets of blood, nudity, Dr Manhattan waving his Lower Manhattan all over the place, mass death and destruction..yeah, that's real family fare. NOT.

Best euphemism ever.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture