Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5421238 times)

BB-VA

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23490 on: September 11, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would
Don't need louder horn.  Need photon torpedoes.

I miss the AAOOHGAH horn I had on my old car.  I still had the stock horn for regular offenses, but the second one was psychological warfare.  >:D   It did get attention!!!

Where I lived growing up one of the neighbors had a horn that played "La Cucaracha."  The part that made it bothersome was that they'd honk their horn every time they pulled into the driveway, even if it was the middle of the night.

I only used it for egregiously special snowflakey behavior in traffic.  I really miss it - the car I have now has a very muffled horn and the snowflakes don't even notice it.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

snowdragon

« Reply #23491 on: September 11, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23492 on: September 11, 2013, 10:03:09 PM »
I remember as a kid having to leave the room for a bit when watching "Dirty Dancing".  For the longest time I thought it was rated R because I wasn't allowed to watch a certain part.  Now as an adult I kind of chuckle since you don't even really see any scrabble at all, just sensuous dancing and then they're in bed and having some pillow talk.

Heh, when I read the first part of your post I assumed you had to leave the room for the botched abortion part!

Oddly enough I was allowed to see that part and it was explained just what was wrong with Penny and why.  If my mother's purpose was to scare me off of getting an abortion, well it worked.  It also served to keep me from wanting to play scrabble with anyone I wasn't absolutely in love with after seeing how that one guy treated Penny after getting her pregnant.

Course that was innocence and naivete speaking.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

goldilocks

« Reply #23493 on: September 11, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Okay - I'm probably a driving special snowflake so I wish to just go head and confess.

I'm american, in Australia for work-related reasons for a week.   I'm with a co-worker who has been here many times, so I just assumed he'd do all the driving.

When I arrived I found out that I am going to have to drive myself back to the airport and turn in the car.  So, I decided I should practice my driving.  I got in to the car at the hotel and eased out.  In the wrong lane of the hotel lot.  I hadn't even made it 50 feet yet.

After that it was pretty uneventful.  co-worker kept me from pulling into wrong lane when turning, and I only turned on my windshield wipers instead of my turn signal 3 times.

I leave for the airport tomorrow - I'm leaving nice and early when hopefully there will be no other cars on the road and I can just drive in whatever lane feels best.  :)  If you live in Sydney please just clear a path for me.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23494 on: September 11, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
A bit of background: For security, there is a lobby with security and also a secretary to direct people if they need it, and two doors, one on either side of the lobby. The doors go to different areas of the production floor. For safety those are locked always, and you either have a swipe card or show your badge and get a security guard to let you in.

Just a note to the oh so special snowflakey parents and their S/O's: do not bring your children into the lobby. What if junior got away from you and ran into the door before we closed it behind us after we went in? It is a security issue and we would rather not deal with it. Please, if you have a loved one in our office for an interview with the company, please for the love of all that is holy, take the kid somewhere else! There is a cafe down the street, you can wait there until everything is done.

I say this because sometimes it is not just one or two parents or whatever with kids, it is a BUNCH. and it makes it hard to navigate through the lobby. And it can get loud.

asb8

« Reply #23495 on: September 11, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
I will add all of the parents who took their kids to see Avenue Q - "because it's puppets and Sesame Street and so it's a kids play" - and then wrote letters to the newspapers complaining about the swearing and having to explain to their kids why those two puppets were bouncing on each other and why they were naked. Really? All of the promotion and the warnings and the box off staff saying what a bad idea it is, and yet you think you know better? Okay...

I've notice that there are warnings on all the Avenue Q stuff making it clear that they are NOT affiliated with Jim Henson or Sesame Street at all. How the parent's missed that I, don't know.

alkira6

« Reply #23496 on: September 11, 2013, 10:34:33 PM »
I will add all of the parents who took their kids to see Avenue Q - "because it's puppets and Sesame Street and so it's a kids play" - and then wrote letters to the newspapers complaining about the swearing and having to explain to their kids why those two puppets were bouncing on each other and why they were naked. Really? All of the promotion and the warnings and the box off staff saying what a bad idea it is, and yet you think you know better? Okay...

I've notice that there are warnings on all the Avenue Q stuff making it clear that they are NOT affiliated with Jim Henson or Sesame Street at all. How the parent's missed that I, don't know.

A friend was in Avenue Q a couple of years ago and gave us tickets right up front.  There was one kid (5 or 6?) there when we came in.  A few minutes in there were a couple of loud gasps and a commotion - pretty sure it was the kid and parent leaving.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23497 on: September 11, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »
I remember seeing an article on the psychology of the word NOT - apparently a lot of people don't hear it or it gets processed as "do the opposite".

As in "don't forget to take your lunch, pick up the dry cleaning, etc." gets turned into "forget to take your lunch, pick up the dry cleaning, etc.".

It made a lot of sense at the time....I still try to phrase things as "remember to take your lunch, pick up the dry cleaning, etc." instead.

Whoever wrote the ad campaigns didn't read that article - because they used NOT in all the wrong ways.

I can't think of many ways to phrase it that won't get some SS with their determination to do it THEIR way to think twice before bringing a child to a show with puppets or an animated movie.  Fritz the Cat (first X rated animated movie in the USA that I heard about - and I was in fifth or sixth grade and living in the church parsonage because Dad was a preacher, for Pete's sake) still had articles in the newspaper about people who were horrified to find out what was happening on the screen....

Just because most cartoons drawn for children have no primary gender characteristics and no visible orifices of elimination doesn't mean that they can't be drawn by someone who wants to tell a completely different story...and Fritz the Cat was NOT Felix the Cat (well, both were black felines in a cartoon - but Felix was for children and Fritz was for adults...with dirty minds).

It took a while to find that there was a short hand way to refer to people so caught up in their expectations of what the world should be doing for them that they really had no idea that the world COULD go in a different direction...Special Snowflakes was much NICER than what I wanted to call them....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

magician5

« Reply #23498 on: September 11, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »
As far as culture snobs: my music teacher is the worst. He teaches, actively , that fiddler players can never be as good as symphony players, even if they have a Master's in Music Performance "because if they were actually good, they would not be playing fiddle" - and that they "are always out of tune" and more.  I am telling you if there were another teacher willing to take on adults in my town, I would move, but there's only him in reasonable driving distance.

Sometimes people put themselves straightaway into the stereotype "those that can do ... those that cant, teach." Check out the current AFM union rates for instrumentalists of all types, for a recording session. Sweet, very sweet, money!

PS - Extra points for a violinist who can play as well and look as good as Lucia Micarelli http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8NN4fpdm40
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:01:54 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Bethczar

« Reply #23499 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would
Don't need louder horn.  Need photon torpedoes.

I miss the AAOOHGAH horn I had on my old car.  I still had the stock horn for regular offenses, but the second one was psychological warfare.  >:D   It did get attention!!!

Where I lived growing up one of the neighbors had a horn that played "La Cucaracha."  The part that made it bothersome was that they'd honk their horn every time they pulled into the driveway, even if it was the middle of the night.
My dad had an AAOOHGHAH horn ( or oogah-oogah horn, as we called it) that he would swap out whenever he got a new car. Man, we all loved that thing. Glad someone else has fond memories of one.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #23500 on: September 11, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Had a Traffic Special Snowflake on the way to work today.  Two lanes in each direction, and a left turn lane at the stop light (in my direction only).  There were several cars in the left turn lane, I was in the left (straight) lane, and the driver in front of my stopped in the middle of the intersection and flipped her left turn signal on.  There was no break in oncoming traffic for her to turn, and if there had been, she would probably have ended up colliding with the front car in the left turn lane.

I leaned on my horn, and she pulled up and slightly further to the left, but still with her turn signal on, and also not leaving enough room for anyone to get past her (because there was traffic in the right lane), so there was a line of cars backing up.

I honked again, and she pulled through, and stopped in the median just past the intersection, it looked like she was going to try to turn left into the gas station there once there was a break in traffic.  I didn't hang around to watch, though.

Irony on top of all this is that about half a block further, there is a stoplight into the shopping center there, so she could have driven on, turned left at the light, turned around in the parking lot, and went back and made a right in probably about the same amount of time.

poundcake

« Reply #23501 on: September 11, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »

It's kind of sad that I had this experience at the ballet some years back. I went to see a matinee performance of Swan Lake. It was utterly amazing. But throughout the first half, there was a trickle of parents and children leaving, and, at intermission, others cleared out en masse. Why?

It was the Michael Bourne all-male production.

Shame they left. They missed an absolutely breathtaking show.

snowdragon

« Reply #23502 on: September 12, 2013, 12:01:17 AM »
It's kind of sad that I had this experience at the ballet some years back. I went to see a matinee performance of Swan Lake. It was utterly amazing. But throughout the first half, there was a trickle of parents and children leaving, and, at intermission, others cleared out en masse. Why?

It was the Michael Bourne all-male production.

Shame they left. They missed an absolutely breathtaking show.

I had parents bring kids to the ballet version of Othello.  They stayed and were offended that "people would do that in front of CHILDREN!!" 
  Yeah, research it first folks.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #23503 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:56 AM »
Our local movie theater will not sell tickets for an R-rated movie for a child under 6 after 7 PM. How do I know this? Because the last time DH and I were there, a woman was raising all kinds of heck because she wanted to take her kids to the movie and they wouldn't sell her the tickets. She tried to buy tickets at the machine, which didn't work (I assume because she was trying to buy children's tickets). Then she complained to the clerk, who repeated their policy several times. When we got in and were on our way over to the concession stand the manager had been called over to handle her. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the movie she wanted to see was The Conjuring.

StarFaerie

« Reply #23504 on: September 12, 2013, 02:15:26 AM »
A bit of background: For security, there is a lobby with security and also a secretary to direct people if they need it, and two doors, one on either side of the lobby. The doors go to different areas of the production floor. For safety those are locked always, and you either have a swipe card or show your badge and get a security guard to let you in.

Just a note to the oh so special snowflakey parents and their S/O's: do not bring your children into the lobby. What if junior got away from you and ran into the door before we closed it behind us after we went in? It is a security issue and we would rather not deal with it. Please, if you have a loved one in our office for an interview with the company, please for the love of all that is holy, take the kid somewhere else! There is a cafe down the street, you can wait there until everything is done.

I say this because sometimes it is not just one or two parents or whatever with kids, it is a BUNCH. and it makes it hard to navigate through the lobby. And it can get loud.

Sounds like your building could use security airlocks or portals. Very useful for stopping piggybackers. http://www.gunnebo.com/au/products/entranceaccesscontrol/airlocks/Pages/default.aspx