News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 05, 2015, 05:50:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6754158 times)

Hillia

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23535 on: September 15, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
Years ago, I was visiting some friends for a week.  One night, Mary and their two young sons had gone to bed, while John and I stayed up to watch the Bourne Identity on tv.  There's a scene in the movie where one character suddenly explodes into a violent attack and destroys a room.  The attack starts, the tv goes nuts with bright, flashing lights and loud noises.  In the midst of all this, we hear a shriek...their oldest son, age 4, had snuck out of bed and was hiding on the stairs watching the movie.  Fortunately, he didn't see anything inappropriate; it was just the sudden loud noise and lights had startled him.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23536 on: September 15, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
I have a special snowflake story... seems I have a lot of them lately.

So I was walking home from the store today, and as I walk home, I tend to use the sidewalks, and on the street at almost every intersection there is a crosswalk painted there. Special Snowflake driver was IN the crosswalk. I ended up having to walk around her car to cross the street, all because she doesn't know how to keep her car out of the crosswalk!

rain

« Reply #23537 on: September 15, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
chiming in late about people not checking movie suitability for their kids- my oldest sister let her kids see the Nightmare before Christmas, then got upset because her youngest got ... nightmares  ::)

OS thought it'd be a cute movie not dark in anyway ( :o Sweet monkey fritters! - with nightmare in the title)

In search of a tag line

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23538 on: September 15, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
Even I was freaked out by the boogie man.

Library Dragon

« Reply #23539 on: September 15, 2013, 07:44:43 PM »
The SS client of my realtor BIL is quite upset now.  He has told her that a colleague will be assisting he from now on. She is irate that he doesn't doesn't want to help her and that he didn't cancel his pre-planned vacation for the remainder of the week. He just kept repeating that it's not possible for him to work with her and is no longer taking any of her calls.

Please tell me his superiors understand why he did not return her calls during what I assume to be his father's funeral?  (Even if it was his FIL's funeral, he should be supporting his wife as she mourns HER father, not worrying about the client's so-outside-of-his-scope-its-ridiculous demands.)

His father's funeral (my FIL).  Oh yes.  He superiors are very understanding.  If BIL refuses to work with someone it means the person is a whole blizzard.  He's generally the go-to guy for high end SSs for the firm.  Think reality show stars who think they actually accomplished something.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #23540 on: September 16, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
I didn't quite believe it, but I grasped onto that explanation for all it was worth because it was less scary than the bloody alternative. Years later, I appreciate the fact that the parents and sister tried to give me some other image to put in my head, rather than scary werewolves.  And they didn't make me feel bad for being scared.

Oh lucky you!  My family loved to watch those awful old horror movies, and they'd laugh when I got scared from them.  Well, my father was quiet, my brothers laughed, and my mom was disdainful.

I hate all horror movies to this day.

Hillia

« Reply #23541 on: September 16, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
I introduced DS to the classic horror films (original Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula) when he was about 7.  I made a big deal out of it, popcorn, darkened room, the whole thing, and kind of joked through the scary parts while watching him carefully for his reaction.  He loved Dracula, and I heard 'I never drink...wine' and 'Children of the night! What sweet music they make!' for months afterward.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23542 on: September 16, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »
My Dad let my friends and me watch the original Dracula when I was having a sleep-over.

Unfortunately, we were a little older than 7, and while the film did keep us intrigued, we did some mocking of the special effects. I'm sure a rubber bat bouncing on a string was cutting-edge special effects for the time, but we giggled ourselves silly imitating a boneless bat.

My father, quite rightly, considered us barbarians.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Kariachi

« Reply #23543 on: September 16, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
My Dad let my friends and me watch the original Dracula when I was having a sleep-over.

Unfortunately, we were a little older than 7, and while the film did keep us intrigued, we did some mocking of the special effects. I'm sure a rubber bat bouncing on a string was cutting-edge special effects for the time, but we giggled ourselves silly imitating a boneless bat.

My father, quite rightly, considered us barbarians.

I took a course in Horror in Film in college. Every day we'd have a new film that we'd sit down and watch and we were instructed to take notes, both to have reference as to what happened and how it was done and to record our own reactions to the film. Some of them I was clearly freaked out and using the writing as an excuse not to look at the screen (Event Horizon), but the classic Dracula?

Yeah. My notes included things like "aww, the cricket has his own little coffin!" and "was that an armadillo?"
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #23544 on: September 16, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
Considering that the classic Dracula was released on St Valentines day and was billed as a romance, it does make me wonder at the minds of the people back then.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #23545 on: September 16, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
Considering that the classic Dracula was released on St Valentines day and was billed as a romance, it does make me wonder at the minds of the people back then.

To continue on the derailing, well, the vampire biting humans was a symbol for scrabbling, IIRC.

Wish I had some snowflakey stories, but everyone at my university is just too nice! It's a great problem to have.

Vita brevis, ars longa

doodlemor

« Reply #23546 on: September 16, 2013, 06:13:02 PM »

I think that the scary movie gave the girls on a date a good excuse to grab their man, and he could put his arms protectively around her.  This movie was released during simpler times.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23547 on: September 16, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
Perhaps it was considered the original Twilight?

Dracula would have had name recognition in those days, so it would have been unlikely anyone would have been too fooled. There was always a romance somewhere in movies of that era, whether the top stars were involved or not.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23548 on: September 16, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »

To continue on the derailing, well, the vampire biting humans was a symbol for scrabbling, IIRC.

Wish I had some snowflakey stories, but everyone at my university is just too nice! It's a great problem to have.

Something to remind people of when they complain about Twilight turning vampires into romances.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23549 on: September 16, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »
A different take on SS - horror and Sci-Fi. My sister decided that sci fi was uncool. She also has the family history of night terrors. she would pitch a holy fit if I tried to watch Tomorrow People or The Third Eye on Nickelodeon after school. She always "won" with Mom I'm going to get nightmares and have to sleep with you and Dad. She admits now that these did not really scare her she just didn't like them - Land of the Lost was a different matter I still threaten her with the "Marble eyed people are coming for you" and get pillows and the like thrown at me.

Which brings up another SS  - our cable company as kids. They hooked the TV we had for the atari up to cable without my parents permission (They had to go up in the attic through my room were the TV was.) We actually went about 3 weeks before my parents realized Sis and I weren't joking about having cable in my room.

They decided to keep it because it cut down on the sci fi wars a bit. For the next I don't know 5 or 6 years they fought the cable company about it because they were never charged. Kept telling them we had 2 boxes - they kept insisting we had 1.

Mom and Dad added on to the house. I actually had the biggest room - but the master had an attached bathroom. They added a bathroom/dressing area/walk in closet to my orginal room. I got the master with the bathroom/shower set up. Cable guy comes in to rewire the new living area - starts screaming at my Mom about us stealing cable. The contractor threatened to have his guys remove him if he didn't keep a civil tongue in his head.

Mom showed him copies of the multiple letters that she had sent over the years stating we had 2 hook ups. He calms down. His supervisor graciously says they won't prosecute or charge us back payments for the 2nd hook up. When the guy finishes - we now how 3 hook ups (Family room, my new room, parents new room) - and we get charged for only 2 of them for the next 10 years. Mom had a copy of the letter - she just changed the date and sent it once a month detailing how much we were being undercharged (we also got Showtime free for years).

Sis always swore her kids would all have cable (She at the Atari in the new set up no cable) of course they don't - they have Ipads/Nooks/Old Iphones without sim cards with Netflix, hulu, and amazon. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future