Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5376822 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23550 on: September 16, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Considering that the classic Dracula was released on St Valentines day and was billed as a romance, it does make me wonder at the minds of the people back then.

To continue on the derailing, well, the vampire biting humans was a symbol for scrabbling, IIRC.

Wish I had some snowflakey stories, but everyone at my university is just too nice! It's a great problem to have.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

doodlemor

« Reply #23551 on: September 16, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »
Considering that the classic Dracula was released on St Valentines day and was billed as a romance, it does make me wonder at the minds of the people back then.

I think that the scary movie gave the girls on a date a good excuse to grab their man, and he could put his arms protectively around her.  This movie was released during simpler times.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23552 on: September 16, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
Perhaps it was considered the original Twilight?

Dracula would have had name recognition in those days, so it would have been unlikely anyone would have been too fooled. There was always a romance somewhere in movies of that era, whether the top stars were involved or not.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23553 on: September 16, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »

To continue on the derailing, well, the vampire biting humans was a symbol for scrabbling, IIRC.

Wish I had some snowflakey stories, but everyone at my university is just too nice! It's a great problem to have.

Something to remind people of when they complain about Twilight turning vampires into romances.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23554 on: September 16, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
A different take on SS - horror and Sci-Fi. My sister decided that sci fi was uncool. She also has the family history of night terrors. she would pitch a holy fit if I tried to watch Tomorrow People or The Third Eye on Nickelodeon after school. She always "won" with Mom I'm going to get nightmares and have to sleep with you and Dad. She admits now that these did not really scare her she just didn't like them - Land of the Lost was a different matter I still threaten her with the "Marble eyed people are coming for you" and get pillows and the like thrown at me.

Which brings up another SS  - our cable company as kids. They hooked the TV we had for the atari up to cable without my parents permission (They had to go up in the attic through my room were the TV was.) We actually went about 3 weeks before my parents realized Sis and I weren't joking about having cable in my room.

They decided to keep it because it cut down on the sci fi wars a bit. For the next I don't know 5 or 6 years they fought the cable company about it because they were never charged. Kept telling them we had 2 boxes - they kept insisting we had 1.

Mom and Dad added on to the house. I actually had the biggest room - but the master had an attached bathroom. They added a bathroom/dressing area/walk in closet to my orginal room. I got the master with the bathroom/shower set up. Cable guy comes in to rewire the new living area - starts screaming at my Mom about us stealing cable. The contractor threatened to have his guys remove him if he didn't keep a civil tongue in his head.

Mom showed him copies of the multiple letters that she had sent over the years stating we had 2 hook ups. He calms down. His supervisor graciously says they won't prosecute or charge us back payments for the 2nd hook up. When the guy finishes - we now how 3 hook ups (Family room, my new room, parents new room) - and we get charged for only 2 of them for the next 10 years. Mom had a copy of the letter - she just changed the date and sent it once a month detailing how much we were being undercharged (we also got Showtime free for years).

Sis always swore her kids would all have cable (She at the Atari in the new set up no cable) of course they don't - they have Ipads/Nooks/Old Iphones without sim cards with Netflix, hulu, and amazon. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #23555 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
A different take on SS - horror and Sci-Fi. My sister decided that sci fi was uncool. She also has the family history of night terrors. she would pitch a holy fit if I tried to watch Tomorrow People or The Third Eye on Nickelodeon after school. She always "won" with Mom I'm going to get nightmares and have to sleep with you and Dad. She admits now that these did not really scare her she just didn't like them - Land of the Lost was a different matter I still threaten her with the "Marble eyed people are coming for you" and get pillows and the like thrown at me.

Oh, The Third Eye! My mother got me Children of the Stones (which was my favorite Third Eye series) on DVD for Christmas a few years ago, saying "You'll see now how cheesy it is!"

And I do...but I still love it.  :)
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23556 on: September 17, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »

Something to remind people of when they complain about Twilight turning vampires into romances.

To be fair, Stoker was quite clear that Dracula himself was not "romantic". He was a demon (a rapist in the spiritual sense). The romance in the novel is with the men who love and wish to protect Mina and Lucy, yet fail almost every opportunity to do so.

I'd much less fault "Twilight," which created its own brand of "kindler, gentler vampires," than the so-called "Bram Stoker's Dracula" movie, which turned Dracula into a lover not a biter.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

CharlieBraun

« Reply #23557 on: September 17, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
SS I've Been Deputized By The TSA!

I am at the airport now; I got here early for my flight so I could join some conference calls from the clubroom.  I am off to visit my family, and am bringing some family heirloom pieces, which are fragile, with me; I checked my bag so I could hand carry these through security.  They are packed very well by my darling husband, in a Jameson's Irish Whiskey box.

As I was going through the security screening, I did the whole routine - computer in a separate bin, shoes off, etc etc, and I placed the Jameson's Irish Whiskey box in a separate bin.  The guy behind me in line looked at me and said "you can't have that!  it's liquor (or liquid, he was kind of shouting)."  "No, sir, it's not.  It's some fragile items that are packed in that box, because it's sturdy."  "No it's not!  You have booze in there!  You can't have that! Guard!  Guard!"

(he actually started yelling "guard" like we were in the poky and I was menacing him with a shiv.)

The TSA guys started over, and SS leaned over, reached past me, and snatched the box right out of the bin.  He started waving it aloft, yelling "here it is here it is!"

Well, the TSA guy who had checked my ID and with whom I had chuckled about the box was mercifully the first one over to me.  He knew what it was.  He took it out of the man's hands, and put it back in the bin.  Then he put the bin onto the belt, and stepped back, glaring at the guy. 

I continued the process, a bit shaken.  I was patted down, I guess in response to the nutty reaction, then collected my things.  When I looked back, "my" TSA guy had Mr SS at the scanner but was waiting for me to clear security before letting him pass.

SS is not in this club....I have no idea what I would have done if he were.

"We ate the pies."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #23558 on: September 17, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »
CharlieBraun: How very strange. It's not like the TSA wouldn't have figured it out when the box went through the scanner. Some people just want to feel important, I guess.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CharlieBraun

« Reply #23559 on: September 17, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »
CharlieBraun: How very strange. It's not like the TSA wouldn't have figured it out when the box went through the scanner. Some people just want to feel important, I guess.

Maybe he was just on edge, or didn't have faith that the TSA would detect a full bottle of liquor.  Most likely, though, he wanted to feel important.
"We ate the pies."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #23560 on: September 17, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »

I am at the airport now; I got here early for my flight so I could join some conference calls from the clubroom.  I am off to visit my family, and am bringing some family heirloom pieces, which are fragile, with me; I checked my bag so I could hand carry these through security.  They are packed very well by my darling husband, in a Jameson's Irish Whiskey box.

As I was going through the security screening, I did the whole routine - computer in a separate bin, shoes off, etc etc, and I placed the Jameson's Irish Whiskey box in a separate bin.  The guy behind me in line looked at me and said "you can't have that!  it's liquor (or liquid, he was kind of shouting)."  "No, sir, it's not.  It's some fragile items that are packed in that box, because it's sturdy."  "No it's not!  You have booze in there!  You can't have that! Guard!  Guard!"

(he actually started yelling "guard" like we were in the poky and I was menacing him with a shiv.)

The TSA guys started over, and SS leaned over, reached past me, and snatched the box right out of the bin.  He started waving it aloft, yelling "here it is here it is!"

Well, the TSA guy who had checked my ID and with whom I had chuckled about the box was mercifully the first one over to me.  He knew what it was.  He took it out of the man's hands, and put it back in the bin.  Then he put the bin onto the belt, and stepped back, glaring at the guy. 

I continued the process, a bit shaken.  I was patted down, I guess in response to the nutty reaction, then collected my things.  When I looked back, "my" TSA guy had Mr SS at the scanner but was waiting for me to clear security before letting him pass.

::)  This reminds me of the time we were traveling with my PIL.  A group of women I will presume were Amish by their dress walked by and my FIL Threw A Fit because "Those people aren't supposed to be allowed on airplanes!"

We tried to explain that they are certainly "allowed" do do many things and who the heck cares anyway?  Let's pretend they're FORBIDDEN by their religion to travel on airplanes.  How does that affect my FIL in any way whatsoever?  It doesn't.

He was adamant they they were breaking some rule and even mentioned it to the flight attendant, who was probably very confused because they weren't even on our flight.

Some people lose their minds when they see someone else "breaking the rules," even when it doesn't impact them at all.  My FIL is very much like this.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23561 on: September 17, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »
I remember a while back hearing some sort of child-rearing approach of never teaching a child the word "no".  Instead of "No, you can't have that!" say "That's for another time." or "Why don't we have this instead!"

Instead of "No hitting!",  "Hitting isn't very nice!" I'm not real sure what the big issue is with a child hearing the word "No", I think it was the thought that hearing "No" will "break their spirit."  ::)

I have no problem saying "No" to my boys, especially since a good loud "NO!" can shock a small one into listening a lot faster than trying to rephrase it, especially if you need them to stop right away.

I think it may have been less that and more than saying "no" sets up a challenge--with some kids, it becomes now something they WANT to do, if only to break the power of the "no."

It's sometimes just not as effective.

Of course, if you don't overuse "no" in other places, then when you DO use it, as you've discovered, they react quickly.

MrTango

« Reply #23562 on: September 17, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »

Wow.  Given his behavior, it's almost as if he wanted to cause the TSA agents to pay undue attention to you so as to diver their attention away from something or someone else, possibly even him.   >:D

That sort of activity seems like perfectly good justification to single him out for "individual processing" in a more secured setting.  That sort of processing can sometimes take several hours, depending on how long until his flight takes to leave without him...  >:D

Wow.  I'm glad I'm not a TSA agent...I'd be really mean.  :-[

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23563 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
I remember a while back hearing some sort of child-rearing approach of never teaching a child the word "no".  Instead of "No, you can't have that!" say "That's for another time." or "Why don't we have this instead!"

Instead of "No hitting!",  "Hitting isn't very nice!" I'm not real sure what the big issue is with a child hearing the word "No", I think it was the thought that hearing "No" will "break their spirit."  ::)

I have no problem saying "No" to my boys, especially since a good loud "NO!" can shock a small one into listening a lot faster than trying to rephrase it, especially if you need them to stop right away.

I think it may have been less that and more than saying "no" sets up a challenge--with some kids, it becomes now something they WANT to do, if only to break the power of the "no."

It's sometimes just not as effective.

Of course, if you don't overuse "no" in other places, then when you DO use it, as you've discovered, they react quickly.

I do remember someone telling me not to give a child an idea by way of instructing them to not do something before they've done it.  For example telling a toddler who has their feet firmly on the floor "don't stand on the chair or table" and they're thinking "Oooh, I didn't realize that was an option! That's possible? I have to try that!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23564 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »

I'm not sure if it's what those particular people were thinking, but here's why I would tell parents not to use 'don't' or 'no':
Very young children have difficulties processing negatives. So using 'don't' or 'can't' may confuse a preschooler, and all they hear is the rest of the sentence. 'Don't hit your sister' also leaves the child to wonder what their options are. Can they kick her? Pinch her? Jab her with a stick? It's much smarter to give an authoritative command that is less likely to be misunderstood, such as 'Go sit in that chair, and Sissy, you sit on the sofa.'
I've never ran into a 2 yr old who didnt understand the word "No" or "Don't" and most use it with astounding accuracy.