Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5375856 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23565 on: September 17, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »
Came across one today who had good command of "No!" and "Mine!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #23566 on: September 17, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
SS I've Been Deputized By The TSA!

I am at the airport now; I got here early for my flight so I could join some conference calls from the clubroom.  I am off to visit my family, and am bringing some family heirloom pieces, which are fragile, with me; I checked my bag so I could hand carry these through security.  They are packed very well by my darling husband, in a Jameson's Irish Whiskey box.

As I was going through the security screening, I did the whole routine - computer in a separate bin, shoes off, etc etc, and I placed the Jameson's Irish Whiskey box in a separate bin.  The guy behind me in line looked at me and said "you can't have that!  it's liquor (or liquid, he was kind of shouting)."  "No, sir, it's not.  It's some fragile items that are packed in that box, because it's sturdy."  "No it's not!  You have booze in there!  You can't have that! Guard!  Guard!"

(he actually started yelling "guard" like we were in the poky and I was menacing him with a shiv.)

The TSA guys started over, and SS leaned over, reached past me, and snatched the box right out of the bin.  He started waving it aloft, yelling "here it is here it is!"

Well, the TSA guy who had checked my ID and with whom I had chuckled about the box was mercifully the first one over to me.  He knew what it was.  He took it out of the man's hands, and put it back in the bin.  Then he put the bin onto the belt, and stepped back, glaring at the guy. 

I continued the process, a bit shaken.  I was patted down, I guess in response to the nutty reaction, then collected my things.  When I looked back, "my" TSA guy had Mr SS at the scanner but was waiting for me to clear security before letting him pass.

SS is not in this club....I have no idea what I would have done if he were.

::)  This reminds me of the time we were traveling with my PIL.  A group of women I will presume were Amish by their dress walked by and my FIL Threw A Fit because "Those people aren't supposed to be allowed on airplanes!"

We tried to explain that they are certainly "allowed" do do many things and who the heck cares anyway?  Let's pretend they're FORBIDDEN by their religion to travel on airplanes.  How does that affect my FIL in any way whatsoever?  It doesn't.

He was adamant they they were breaking some rule and even mentioned it to the flight attendant, who was probably very confused because they weren't even on our flight.

Some people lose their minds when they see someone else "breaking the rules," even when it doesn't impact them at all.  My FIL is very much like this.

Possibly Mennonites, who I believe are allowed to, even by their religion.  And definitely by the TSA.  :)

I do agree that somebody who causes a ruckus in accusing other people could be a cause for concern, in trying to distract TSA from the accuser.  Unlikely, of course.  But I could see TSA being suspicious.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #23567 on: September 17, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »

I am at the airport now; I got here early for my flight so I could join some conference calls from the clubroom.  I am off to visit my family, and am bringing some family heirloom pieces, which are fragile, with me; I checked my bag so I could hand carry these through security.  They are packed very well by my darling husband, in a Jameson's Irish Whiskey box.

As I was going through the security screening, I did the whole routine - computer in a separate bin, shoes off, etc etc, and I placed the Jameson's Irish Whiskey box in a separate bin.  The guy behind me in line looked at me and said "you can't have that!  it's liquor (or liquid, he was kind of shouting)."  "No, sir, it's not.  It's some fragile items that are packed in that box, because it's sturdy."  "No it's not!  You have booze in there!  You can't have that! Guard!  Guard!"

(he actually started yelling "guard" like we were in the poky and I was menacing him with a shiv.)

The TSA guys started over, and SS leaned over, reached past me, and snatched the box right out of the bin.  He started waving it aloft, yelling "here it is here it is!"

Well, the TSA guy who had checked my ID and with whom I had chuckled about the box was mercifully the first one over to me.  He knew what it was.  He took it out of the man's hands, and put it back in the bin.  Then he put the bin onto the belt, and stepped back, glaring at the guy. 

I continued the process, a bit shaken.  I was patted down, I guess in response to the nutty reaction, then collected my things.  When I looked back, "my" TSA guy had Mr SS at the scanner but was waiting for me to clear security before letting him pass.

::)  This reminds me of the time we were traveling with my PIL.  A group of women I will presume were Amish by their dress walked by and my FIL Threw A Fit because "Those people aren't supposed to be allowed on airplanes!"

We tried to explain that they are certainly "allowed" do do many things and who the heck cares anyway?  Let's pretend they're FORBIDDEN by their religion to travel on airplanes.  How does that affect my FIL in any way whatsoever?  It doesn't.

He was adamant they they were breaking some rule and even mentioned it to the flight attendant, who was probably very confused because they weren't even on our flight.

Some people lose their minds when they see someone else "breaking the rules," even when it doesn't impact them at all.  My FIL is very much like this.

They can travel in a plane. There is no rule against it. If they are very strict Amish/Mennonite, they can't own or fly a commercial airplane - but that isn't a rule that gets broken very often. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

glacio

« Reply #23568 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »

They can travel in a plane. There is no rule against it. If they are very strict Amish/Mennonite, they can't own or fly a commercial airplane - but that isn't a rule that gets broken very often. ;D

According tomy grandmother who is a non-Amish from Lancaster county, the loophole is that the Amish can't USE technology, but they can take advantage of someone else using it. So as long as they are not flying the plane, driving the car, etc. there is no problem. From the way she talks, I think she has come across quite a few special snowflakes of the Amish persuasion, so I'm sure not all consider this a legit loophole.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #23569 on: September 17, 2013, 10:12:20 PM »
It is, at least all over PA.  In my corner of Pennsylvania, they took advantage of it all of the time, even getting rides to other counties to help other communities.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

daen

« Reply #23570 on: September 17, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »

According to my grandmother who is a non-Amish from Lancaster county, the loophole is that the Amish can't USE technology, but they can take advantage of someone else using it. So as long as they are not flying the plane, driving the car, etc. there is no problem. From the way she talks, I think she has come across quite a few special snowflakes of the Amish persuasion, so I'm sure not all consider this a legit loophole.

I lived in Lancaster county for a year, and met a few people who "drive Amish" - as in provide rides for Amish people who need to travel further than their own options (buggy or foot) will take them. As far as I can tell, if the Amish themselves don't drive a motorized vehicle or own it, it is okay to make use of it occasionally for a good reason. The parameters of "occasionally" and "good reason" vary according to the interpretation of the local bishop, so it's hard to generalize further than that; there will always be the more conservative and the more liberal viewpoints.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #23571 on: September 18, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »

This is what I woulda done: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqtnU2faTc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKOqtnU2faTc

I even have the music on my iPod for such occasions.

snowfire

« Reply #23572 on: September 18, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
I hope that the TSA folks had a chat with Mr. SS about grabbing other peoples property.  I think that I would have pitched a hissy fit about that.  While he was waving your box around he could have broken the contents.

I hope that everything arrived safely & the rest of your trip went smoothly, CharlieBraun.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #23573 on: September 18, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
Parking Special Snowflake at my gym yesterday.

SS has a disabled badge for her vehicle. The two disabled bays were taken by other users with legitimate disabled badges. SS doesn't park in another parking space, or on the close double yellow lines in the car park (allowed for a limited time). No, SS parks her car smack bang in the cross-hatch lines directly in front of the gym doors. This means that (1) cars turning into the car park nearly run into her car (2) if the building had to be evacuated the car would be blocking the main exit. I filled in a customer comment form for the manager saying that in my view a car parked there was dangerous to other people. According to the receptionist the owner is convinced of their specialness, so a customer commenting was helpful.

MissRose

« Reply #23574 on: September 19, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »
The snowflakes at the Mass where my aunt was amongst the honorees at a ceremony part:

*the parents who would not tell their preschool aged kids to stop running in the balcony before, during, and after the service

*the parents who took no reasonable effort to keep their kids quiet during the entire service.  I understand that they could have been a relative of someone be honored but at the same time, others want to see and hear things going.

*my snowflake of a mother who was more insistent that we beat the traffic from the church to go the reception hall after instead of congratulating my aunt first.  We did congratulate my aunt at the reception, I simply thought it was good manners to do so at the church first.

gingerzing

« Reply #23575 on: September 19, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »
(Slightly long)  I just remembered this one.

Amusing Holiday version of a Magnus Sono Cena Special Snowflake.  (Large Celebrate Meal)*

Picture this New Year’s Eve around suppertime.  DH decided that he was hungry for seafood and wanted to go to “Nice Seafood Restaurant (NSR)”.  I tried to explain that it was New Year’s Eve and that everyone and their dog would be out, but he insisted.  So we drove to NSR and asked how long the wait would be without a reservation.  For two people, it would be about 45 minutes to an hour at that point.  Groovy.  We sat down in the waiting area since the bar was full.  Our bench was pretty close to the hostess stand.

Enter Magnus Sono Cena SS #1.  He is, apparently, the scout for his group.  He comes to the hostess stand and asks about a reservation for his group of 10.  Yes, she did have his name in, but the reservation wasn’t until 6:30 and it was only 6:15. 
Magnus SS - This was an OUTRAGE, his family HAD A RESERVATION! 
Calm Hostess - Yes, you have a reservation for 6:30 and we will seat you as close to that time as possible.
Magnus SS – No this was unacceptable.  They needed seated now.  They had family members who were diabetic and needed to eat in a timely manner. 
Calm Hostess – But the reservation was for 6:30 and while we are running a little behind…
Magnus SS – An OUTRAGE! Blahg bharg
Calm Hostess (interrupting slightly) – As I said with the crowds we are running a few minutes behind and will have you seated as soon as your table is ready.  Is your party here?
Magnus SS – No Actually, I am the only one.  I was going to wait at the table to hold it for us.  (Er…dude what did you think a reservation was for?)
Calm Hostess – We will call your name when your table is ready.  It probably will be about 10-15 minutes. 

Added bonus, the table was ready about 6:35.  When this group was sat, three people from the group came in 10 minutes later than the rest of the group.

As we sat waiting for our name to be called, I could hear the hostess tell walk-ins the wait time.  Which was getting longer.  So by 45 minutes into our wait, it was almost 1 ˝ hour wait for those walking in.   

And then comes Mr. Big Shot along with his “date”.  Not to cast aspersions or make huge assumptions but everything about this couple shouted Mid-Life Crisis Sugar Daddytm and Gold Digger Bimbotm stereotypes. 

Mr Big Shot to the hostess – I want a booth.  We need to be seated now. 
(Fun fact, this restaurant has limited number of booths, a good 3/4 of the main dining area are tables.  Booths are a premium on slow days.)
Calm Hostess – And do you have a reservation? 
Mr.  Big Shot – Whaaaat? No of course not.  You will seat us – in a booth – now. 
You can see EVERYONE in the waiting area just waiting for the hostess to lower the boom on him.
Calm Hostess – Well, sir.  As you can plainly see, there are several people before you and the dining room is to capacity.  I can certainly put you on the list.  There is a 2 hour wait at this time.  (Please note that just before Big Shot walked in she had just told someone that would be a little under 1 1/2 hour wait.)  
Mr. Big Shot – Whaaat?  2 hours?  But I want seated now in a booth.  (Yeah we all caught that)
Calm Hostess – Yes, well for a booth is probably will be longer than 2 hours, but I am not sure.
And then she just quietly looked at him politely, as if waiting for him to give his name.
He sputtered a bit and grabbed his date’s arm and hustled her and her heels (very impressive on her part since she was in 5-inch heels) down the steps and out the take out door.   

While we couldn’t exactly cheer the hostess.  There was a quiet murmur of impressed guests.  The next person who walked in (about 5 minutes after Big Shot left) was told without a reservation it would be about 1 ˝ hours.     

Way to be looking out for her waitstaff and the rest of the customers who would have had to listen to Big Shot.    Because you just know that he would have been an absolute dream to wait on.  ::)

We were seated before our hour mark hit. 

*Yes, I actually tried to look up Latin words for this. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23576 on: September 19, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »
This seems to be my day for SS drivers/cyclists.

Started with a very fancy Land Rover swerving all over onto the shoulder, passing while traveling at least 30 mph above the limit, then nearly causing two crashes while swerving back to the left. I was very glad when she was no longer behind me.

Four lane intersection, straight lanes had right of way. I am proceeding through and a compact car decides to turn left immediately in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting her. I honked, but I am not sure she noticed.

Two cyclists, riding abreast in the right lane of a divided four lane road with bicycle lanes. Neither were ever in the bicycle lanes. They were obviously conversing, and sailed right through a red light, in front of a car that was moving. I asked for more patrols, since bicycles are supposed to use their lane unless they are turning.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #23577 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »
Another Driving Blizzard spotted:

I realized I was going the wrong direction on a 2 lane (1 each way) street, so I turned left into a driveway which lead to a small store parking lot.  There was no oncoming traffic when I turned into the parking lot.  Before I could back out and drive the direction I needed to go, the traffic light turned green and I waited for traffic to clear.

I have no clue why Mr. Blizzard pulled up behind me so I couldn't back out.  I waited ... and waited ... and waited.  Finally, he honks at me, so I pulled into a stall.  I don't know why he honked.  No part of my car was even in the sidewalk, so I wasn't impeding his movement.  Then he drove on down the street.

I don't know why he blocked me in or honked at me.  I wasn't in the street, so I wasn't in his way, and he wasn't pulling into the store parking lot. :o
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23578 on: September 19, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
We have a older lady that works in my building. She seems nice and looks to be in full possession of her faculties, but she drives in a very erratic manner. Parking isn't any better. I came out to my car today to find hers next to me, parked asymmetrically and halfway in a space, with 4' feet of car sticking out into the driving lane.

We have buses come through on a route every 10 minutes, I hope they don't wreck.

Bluenomi

« Reply #23579 on: September 19, 2013, 07:36:14 PM »
Yesterday I had SS I drive a ute so don't need to follow road rules.

We were coming up to a form one lane. I was a good car length in front of him so legally he had to merge behind me. But he clearly didn't want to merge behind so sped past, using the shoulder when he ran out of lane and barged in front of me. He did it so quickly I barely had time to brake so I didn't run into the back of him when he suddenly pulled in front.

Didn't do him any good though, the car in front of him was slow so he as stuck behind them and further down the road his bad lane choice when we got another one meant I cruised past him and he was stuck in a big line of traffic.