Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5096385 times)

norrina

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23610 on: September 27, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
That may be the BEST immediate karmic payback I have ever seen!  >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23611 on: September 27, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »
I laughed and laughed in my office while watching it, then posted it on my facebook page!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23612 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
Don't drive on the roadside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOVRddGFm0&feature=youtu.be

Mean Jayhawk kinda wishes the camera had shown the driver's expression as they drove by.

I was really hoping the camera would pan over to the driver, too. Oh, man. That is awesome.

mmswm

« Reply #23613 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
I can waste days of my time watching dash cam videos from Russian truckers.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #23614 on: September 27, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »
I can waste days of my time watching dash cam videos from Russian truckers.

It's possibly their most valuable export.  A lot of people would give their families for that much gold.  :D

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #23615 on: September 27, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »
Don't drive on the roadside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOVRddGFm0&feature=youtu.be

Mean Jayhawk kinda wishes the camera had shown the driver's expression as they drove by.

That one reminds me of a karmic payback I once saw.  Back when I worked at a military hospital I had to drive past a prison on my way to get to work.  There was a large sign in front of the prison, and the local motorcycle officers liked to hide there in the mornings.  Well, one morning a motorcyclist decided to pass the long string of cars on their way to the military base on the right - and was promptly stopped by that morning's motorcycle officer who had been hiding behind the prison's sign and saw what was happening. 

Another morning someone in a VW Bug tried the same thing - and also got collared by the motorcycle officer hiding behind the prison's sign.  Except for these two there were remarkably few instances of drivers being pulled over on that particular stretch of road - probably because everyone who drove it regularly knew there were motorcycle officers hiding behind the sign.

Jocelyn

« Reply #23616 on: September 28, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
Reminds me of an event when I was driving to work years ago. This was on a stretch of rural highway, a nice new highway that tempted one to hurry along.  ::) It had a few overpasses. One day, I was warned by a co-worker whose husband was a deputy sheriff that I should keep a very particular eye on my speed for the next few days, and I'd see why, on my way in.
The local law enforcement entities (highway patrol and sheriff's office) had just about every patrol car in the jurisdiction parked on the uphill slope past the overpass. On the overpass was an officer with a radar gun, and overhead was the spotter airplane. The airplane radioed in about people who were speeding 3-4 miles before the speed trap, the officer on the bridge confirmed the speeders, and the rest of the officers were just peeling off the overpass and chasing them down. All the speeders who giggled to see the first speeder get tagged, then carried on their merry way, were stunned to discover there were enough officers there to catch them all.
And it went on day after day after day. I never got tired of watching people blow past me, then catching up with them in a long line of traffic stops.

mmswm

« Reply #23617 on: September 28, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Reminds me of an event when I was driving to work years ago. This was on a stretch of rural highway, a nice new highway that tempted one to hurry along.  ::) It had a few overpasses. One day, I was warned by a co-worker whose husband was a deputy sheriff that I should keep a very particular eye on my speed for the next few days, and I'd see why, on my way in.
The local law enforcement entities (highway patrol and sheriff's office) had just about every patrol car in the jurisdiction parked on the uphill slope past the overpass. On the overpass was an officer with a radar gun, and overhead was the spotter airplane. The airplane radioed in about people who were speeding 3-4 miles before the speed trap, the officer on the bridge confirmed the speeders, and the rest of the officers were just peeling off the overpass and chasing them down. All the speeders who giggled to see the first speeder get tagged, then carried on their merry way, were stunned to discover there were enough officers there to catch them all.
And it went on day after day after day. I never got tired of watching people blow past me, then catching up with them in a long line of traffic stops.

This has been a pretty common tactic in my county for years. Still makes me giggle even though I've seen it hundreds of times.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #23618 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
It's possible I've posted this tale before; if so, I apologize. This took place at least 35 years ago, when AWD and FWD were rare.

To get to my job, I used a very winding two-lane road that took me from my low-lying home up over a pretty good hill. I worked evenings, which meant my driving during rush hour.

It doesn't snow that often in Portland, and back then, people who knew how to drive in it were thin on the ground. It had been snowing for a while that day, and there was packed snow going up that hill. There were lines of cars on the side of the road, not moving much at all. My VW bug had the the rear engine so I had good traction. I passed them doing a careful 15-20 mph. Since they were hugging the side, I could stay in my lane.

But a couple of Special Snowflakes in 4WD vehicles decided to show off, and blast by all those cars at about 45, driving in the oncoming lane.

As I drove that road every night, I knew there was a light just over the top of the hill. Even on dry roads, I slowed down before the crest, in case it was red. I did the same thing that night too, because I knew that even at 15 mph, on the packed snow I wouldn't be able to stop for the light. Sure enough, it was red, and I had plenty of time to stop.

Not so the blazers (pun intended). They had tried to stop - and there was one in the ditch to my right, and another in the ditch to my left.

I guess they learned the hard way that, while 4WD lets you go faster on slippery surfaces, it doesn't let you stop any faster than any other car can!

"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

snowfire

« Reply #23619 on: September 28, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
Today at the gas station.  The station we were at only has two pumps which have diesel as well as gas.  There were lines for the pumps.  We were in our pickup and waiting to pull forward to the diesel pump.  Just as the car ahead of us pulled out & before we could even start our truck, a little bitty pickup whipped from behind us and dived into the pump ahead of us.  I don't know if he thought that we had already fueled and were waiting to leave, but he jumped the line anyway.  (There are 8 pumps which are gas only so those lines were moving pretty quickly.)  DH got out and called the guy on line jumping and just got the single finger salute and an "I got here first" sneer.  Grrrrrr!

BB-VA

« Reply #23620 on: September 28, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »
It's possible I've posted this tale before; if so, I apologize. This took place at least 35 years ago, when AWD and FWD were rare.

To get to my job, I used a very winding two-lane road that took me from my low-lying home up over a pretty good hill. I worked evenings, which meant my driving during rush hour.

It doesn't snow that often in Portland, and back then, people who knew how to drive in it were thin on the ground. It had been snowing for a while that day, and there was packed snow going up that hill. There were lines of cars on the side of the road, not moving much at all. My VW bug had the the rear engine so I had good traction. I passed them doing a careful 15-20 mph. Since they were hugging the side, I could stay in my lane.

But a couple of Special Snowflakes in 4WD vehicles decided to show off, and blast by all those cars at about 45, driving in the oncoming lane.

As I drove that road every night, I knew there was a light just over the top of the hill. Even on dry roads, I slowed down before the crest, in case it was red. I did the same thing that night too, because I knew that even at 15 mph, on the packed snow I wouldn't be able to stop for the light. Sure enough, it was red, and I had plenty of time to stop.

Not so the blazers (pun intended). They had tried to stop - and there was one in the ditch to my right, and another in the ditch to my left.

I guess they learned the hard way that, while 4WD lets you go faster on slippery surfaces, it doesn't let you stop any faster than any other car can!

Things like that happen almost every year during the first snowfall.  I live 5 miles from the city limits and every year, you see 4WD vehicles in the median or on the side of the road.  By the second snowfall, most of them have learned that, although you might be able to GO anywhere with 4WD, that does NOT mean you will be able to STOP anywhere.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

otterwoman

« Reply #23621 on: September 28, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »

Things like that happen almost every year during the first snowfall.  I live 5 miles from the city limits and every year, you see 4WD vehicles in the median or on the side of the road.  By the second snowfall, most of them have learned that, although you might be able to GO anywhere with 4WD, that does NOT mean you will be able to STOP anywhere.

According to DH, 4WD means twice as stuck, twice as far off the road.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23622 on: September 29, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
Remind me of the time we got caught on the road during a heavy snow storm.  All the cars in the ditch (and there were many) were SUVs.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23623 on: September 29, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

As my friend says, "Four wheel DRIVE does not mean four wheel STOP!"

I have a Special Snowflake from my state's Renaissance Festival.  I've been working there as an "area supervisor" - basically there's an area of food/beverage booths that I'm assigned to, and I make sure everyone's happy, has product to sell, has money to make change, etc.  I wear a badge stating I work for the Fest but don't have to dress in costume.  Typically I just wear shorts or jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a baseball cap if it's really sunny out.  IOW, I look like a typical Fest patron, not a participant.  As I was at one of my booths yesterday, checking to make sure everything was going okay, SSFestivus approached and asked me what I was doing.  I replied, "Oh, I'm a supervisor and I'm making sure these folks have what they need!"  SSFestivus told me snottily that I couldn't work for the Fest as I wasn't in costume.  I said that it wasn't required for me to wear a costume, since I'm not selling.  SSFestivus said something like, "Well, I come here for the ambience.  I don't need to see anyone who isn't participating in the spirit of things!  I'm going to complain to corporate!" and stomped off.  The booth seller and I waited until SSFestivus was gone before falling over in giggles.  This particular Fest is owned by a private corporation, which consists of a lovely couple, who are the ones that made this particular rule about supervisors not having to dress in costume.  I wonder how far SSFestivus will get with this complaint?

Then there was the lady who bought fish and chips from one of my booths, stood off to the side and pulled apart her fish fillets, looked at them dubiously (fresh from the fryer and properly cooked), then thrust them back at the booth seller and complained, "I can't eat this!  This fish is broken in half!  I need new ones now!".  We did not give her new fish fillets because she pulled her other fillets apart herself.  We are now horrible evil people who want her to get sick.  ::)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #23624 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:35 AM »
Story from a friend:

Her twins are having their third birthday, so they invite lots of family, including friend's father to come to their house for the twin's party. After the party, friend's father asks why they don't have [major sporting event] on TV yet.

Friend recently downgraded their pay channel selection for money-saving purposes, and one of the channels they lost access to was the channel that was showing [major sporting event] on that particular day.

Friend's father had a complete fit about that, asking angrily why had driven all that way if he couldn't watch the event.
Friend: "I thought you can out here for your grandchildren's birthday!"
Father: "If I'd known you didn't have that channel anymore, I wouldn't have bothered coming!"

I'm so angry on friend's behalf.  :(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)